• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Haven't posted in this thread in eons. Went to Puerto Rico a few weeks ago, here's some of the stuff I shot:

DSC06227-2.jpg

DSC06330-2.jpg

DSC05572-2.jpg

DSC05796-2.jpg

DSC06150.jpg

DarkMagician

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a Nikon D750, and I have the kit zoom lens (24-120) and a normal prime (50mm 1.8G). I'm looking for a wide angle lens, but everything looks so pricy. Is there a decent prime wide angle lens, or are zooms the best way to go for wide angle?

Haven't posted in this thread in eons. Went to Puerto Rico a few weeks ago, here's some of the stuff I shot:
Amazing photos!

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I have a Nikon D750, and I have the kit zoom lens (24-120) and a normal prime (50mm 1.8G). I'm looking for a wide angle lens, but everything looks so pricy. Is there a decent prime wide angle lens, or are zooms the best way to go for wide angle?

Amazing photos!
Unsure of your budget or how wide you wanna go but the 24 f2.8 or the 35 f2 look reasonable.

Oct 25, 2017
The best part of owning 5 fucking cameras is that if you get tired of using something you can pick something else up and shoot with that.

XT039677 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XT039624 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XT039603 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XT039629 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XT039408 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XT039298 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XT039658 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XT039692 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XT039197 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XT039206 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XT039115 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XT039122 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XT039716 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XT039185 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
supposedly the 5k can hold heavier, but I haven't tried it, I had the same issue with the 3k on my first try with the sony, would keep going downwards. So I got a decent tripod for vacation but is kinda big, so I am looking into that peak design kickstarter one
I like the Peak Design one, except for the plate which needs a hex wrench to tighten. And the CF is prohibitively expensive. I'll check it out once it's available at BH or something.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I can tell you don't retouch their skins. Any particular reason or is it just time consuming?
Laziness, time consuming and I don't feel like learning, killing myself, and killing my laptop track pad dealing with it or even buying a mouse. There's a certain amount of editing that I like (the color tweaking) and the editing involved regarding skin retouching and adding gausian blurs in a mask layer and such really just isn't something that I want to bother doing or even sounds fun. I also do not like it when people look too plasticky. There's a certain amount of humanity in the texture and removing that just messes with what I know people are supposed to look like. I like natural and not fake.

ToD_

Oct 27, 2017
Laziness, time consuming and I don't feel like learning, killing myself, and killing my laptop track pad dealing with it or even buying a mouse. There's a certain amount of editing that I like (the color tweaking) and the editing involved regarding skin retouching and adding gausian blurs in a mask layer and such really just isn't something that I want to bother doing or even sounds fun. I also do not like it when people look too plasticky. There's a certain amount of humanity in the texture and removing that just messes with what I know people are supposed to look like. I like natural and not fake.
I have experimented with skin touch ups, but outside of minor blemishes for which I can just use spot removal/healing, I prefer to leave the skin alone for that particular reason. People are beautiful as is. Maybe I'd reconsider if I was shooting for the cover of vogue.

Oct 25, 2017
I have experimented with skin touch ups, but outside of minor blemishes for which I can just use spot removal/healing, I prefer to leave the skin alone for that particular reason. People are beautiful as is. Maybe I'd reconsider if I was shooting for the cover of vogue.
Like I'm quite sure Vogue has retouchers any way. For the most part I think a portrait is good whether or not it's retouched or not, if you need it retouched just get a retoucher to do it...and tastefully. I have seen so many shitty retouch jobs that it almost makes me lose respect for the craft. Even the models I have spoken to don't like it since they don't even look like themselves in the end result.

I did this headshot for a friend, it's her favorite one and she's been using it for awhile, not even retouched. She got a free headshot once from a pro at some seminar and they retouched the crap out of her and she hated it.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
I've tried some skin retouching because I wanted to at least learn it, but it's very time consuming. I don't also like those dolls skin that some people make.

Some tests:

EYVOEwR.jpg

100% crop:
5lsvOdU.jpg

Another 100% crop:
gLACC8e.jpg

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
I've tried some skin retouching because I wanted to at least learn it, but it's very time consuming. I don't also like those dolls skin that some people make.

I did my brother's engagement photography. I haven't posted any of the shots here (mostly because I don't think I'm supposed to be sharing them myself), but I didn't end up doing any retouching. The bride-to-be did well with her makeup, and my brother doesn't have anything noticeable that he would have wanted to be changed (he has a B.A. in photography, actually).
I will say, though, that I agree with your sentiment, and that any retouching should be fairly minimal.

Oct 25, 2017
I did my brother's engagement photography. I haven't posted any of the shots here (mostly because I don't think I'm supposed to be sharing them myself), but I didn't end up doing any retouching. The bride-to-be did well with her makeup, and my brother doesn't have anything noticeable that he would have wanted to be changed (he has a B.A. in photography, actually).
I will say, though, that I agree with your sentiment, and that any retouching should be fairly minimal.
I have dealt with a few people when I first started that are only models because retouching exists. I think the only ones that have had a problem with my lack of editing don't deal with me anymore and frankly I think that's for the better. Also yes editing should be minimum, then again that's not the fashion industries mindset, but at least when I photograph a person a model recruiter would be able to tell that it's of the same person.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
ok what is up with all these Russians following me or looking at my stories on Instagram. First they meddle in our elections and now they're meddling in my social life haha

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I want to try doing candids too but i'd feel so awkward when they catch me taking photos of them
Don't be aggressive, just be very natural, engage people if they are curious, show them the photos. Women (and men) approach me ALL the time now, "What kind of photos do you take? Can I see your Instagram?" etc. etc. Too bad I am not single anymore :)

For these last few batches, people knew I was taking the photos, they just didn't mind.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't be aggressive, just be very natural, engage people if they are curious, show them the photos. Women (and men) approach me ALL the time now, "What kind of photos do you take? Can I see your Instagram?" etc. etc. Too bad I am not single anymore :)

For these last few batches, people knew I was taking the photos, they just didn't mind.
Every time a person asks to see the picture they request to delete it in my experience. I usually try to have to decent distance or picking my moments a lot better though I know my cursed focal length is 50, it's just not good for me. I've been either chased or confronted whenever I use those damn things.

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
Every time a person asks to see the picture they request to delete it in my experience. I usually try to have to decent distance or picking my moments a lot better though I know my cursed focal length is 50, it's just not good for me. I've been either chased or confronted whenever I use those damn things.
What was the most "aggressive" reaction to a photo taken by you?

Oct 25, 2017
What was the most "aggressive" reaction to a photo taken by you?
November I got chased half way through Bryant Park by a mother and daughter because I took picture of the daughter, wasn't even good so I was already in the midst of deleting it while they were demanding that I delete it with the mother probably thinking I'm some form of pervert. Another time I got into like a five minute argument with some Asian woman demanding that I delete her picture. Another time I got harassed by some Jewish dude who thought I took his (or his GF's) picture while I was taking a picture of a building because he heard my camera as he was walking away from me, there's been others, but this is all I can remember, oh yeah there was this Hispanic dude in Union Square who was pissed that I pointed my camera in his general direction to get a wide shot, not to mention the occasional model asking me to delete a post from IG or the internet entirely because of reasons or having me take their name off or something. You do this long enough you'll have some run ins...now I'm remembering a UPS guy from like what I think was last summer or something.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
As a lifelong NYer I only went there for the first time like 3 or 4 years ago. It's just extremely touristy. Nice during the summer though.

jongkookie

Oct 25, 2017
Was in Chicago last week for work... had time to take the architecture boat tour at sunset and I ended up getting one of the best pictures I've ever taken imo.

The boat was turning around over Lake Michigan granting me this lovely view of the skyline.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just now coming to grips with how darkly I've been editing my photos on my home PC. Below is a comparison between my PC and my iPhone set to 50% brightness, both using Lightroom. Not sure if this is something that can be fixed by calibrating my monitor or what...I've also been compelled to get an ipad pro for editing, and this isn't helping...

47986897428_76e61a852c_c.jpg

48080299121_05ccfa6070_c.jpg