• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Just now coming to grips with how darkly I've been editing my photos on my home PC. Below is a comparison between my PC and my iPhone set to 50% brightness, both using Lightroom. Not sure if this is something that can be fixed by calibrating my monitor or what...I've also been compelled to get an ipad pro for editing, and this isn't helping...

47986897428_76e61a852c_c.jpg

48080299121_05ccfa6070_c.jpg

I always check the brightness on my phone before posting or moving on to the next picture

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf why did it post my draft?

But yeah I always double check my PC edits on my phone. Once I build a new desktop I will buy a really nice monitor and not worry about it anymore

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
Tried another self portrait again using a speedlite and a shoot-through umbrella. I'm getting that wart removed from my forehead this friday, mainly because I don't like how it looks on pictures lol.

By the way, I had to use the camera in landscape orientation and crop in post because I only have a very cheap tripod that I don't doesn't seem to suport my camera very well.

IMG_7505 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only had a chance to grab a couple of quick snapshots while walking through with a group, but there were some really high quality statues at E3 this year:

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
I was shooting my friend playing music at a small event and it was so frustrating and the pictures came out so bad that I felt like quitting this hobby.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I was shooting my friend playing music at a small event and it was so frustrating and the pictures came out so bad that I felt like quitting this hobby.
It's all about practice my friend.
Low light concert photos are not as easy to shoot as daylight photos.

This is one of the "better" ones from the first concert I shot 4 years ago:
zr4Qv2u.jpg

and then something I took at the start of this year:
XsDTeir.jpg

I don't regularly shoot concerts though so I could be a lot better

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
bAX6OPw.jpg

McCarthy's Castle, Ballinskelligs, Kerry. Playing around with Lightroom to see what I can pull out of the image. I never really did that very much before, especially with landscapes, so this is just an experiment, really. Original image is here -

JZrUHfh.jpg

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
It's all about practice my friend.
Low light concert photos are not as easy to shoot as daylight photos.

This is one of the "better" ones from the first concert I shot 4 years ago:
zr4Qv2u.jpg

and then something I took at the start of this year:
XsDTeir.jpg

I don't regularly shoot concerts though so I could be a lot better

Yeah it was just so hard to get into the groove of things. The space was just so damn small, it was actually happening during the day time but it was cloudy and raining quite a bit too. We were also under a small hut which made things like getting the best setting for lighting a pain.

How often do you shoot events? The more you do it the better you get. Also if I remember what you have right you're very focal length limited.
DSC_5032-2 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5083 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_4835 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

Yeah I only have a 56mm prime, 35 mm , and a kit lens. I actually decided to go to kit lens in the end because of that. Also I really like that third picture.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it was just so hard to get into the groove of things. The space was just so damn small, it was actually happening during the day time but it was cloudy and raining quite a bit too. We were also under a small hut which made things like getting the best setting for lighting a pain.

Yeah I only have a 56mm prime, 35 mm , and a kit lens. I actually decided to go to kit lens in the end because of that. Also I really like that third picture.
I don't like that kit lens never did, it not even being constant aperture is kind of a no for me (I don't care who says what). My Fuji event bag is pretty much the X-T2, X-T3, 16-55, 50-140, 56, 23 1.4 and the 90 plus a flash. Lots of switching, but the shots are good and I'm pretty much prepared for everything. Granted with the shoot I showed above that was with the Nikon D4. Fuji isn't touching the iso 4000 on that thing. I had to work a graduation last week in one of those hut/tent things, it was of decent size but pretty much you need to learn to work the angles of the venue and move on from there.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
bAX6OPw.jpg

McCarthy's Castle, Ballinskelligs, Kerry. Playing around with Lightroom to see what I can pull out of the image. I never really did that very much before, especially with landscapes, so this is just an experiment, really. Original image is here -

JZrUHfh.jpg
I really like what you did to the foreground and water, but I would have left the sky alone, it looks pretty blown out now compared to how soft and wispy the original was. Nice shot regardless!

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I really like what you did to the foreground and water, but I would have left the sky alone, it looks pretty blown out now compared to how soft and wispy the original was. Nice shot regardless!

Thanks! You're right about the sky, I was just looking at it and thinking the blue is too severe. It's so easy to go just that little bit too far in editing. I guess I can just add a radial filter and bring it down a good bit - mostly I was trying to bring out the details in the clouds around the building, not change the sky to be a more pleasing blue. I'll have a go at that later on today.

Wow, I've never gotten an amazing before. Thanks muchly :)

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess I can just add a radial filter and bring it down a good bit
Brushes can be your friend in LR when you only want to edit half the photo, too, and now that they have auto mask for brushes, it's easy mode. Capture one is unfortunately better at partial edits like that, but I can't be bothered to learn that crappy interface.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a Galaxy S9+, I believe. All the new smartphones do cool computational photography stuff with rapid multiexposures to capture more dynamic range.

Great shots, by the way, Jokkir! I like your stuff a lot.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
That's great BTW, only way it'd be perfect is if a white, fluffy dog or cat ran across the frame instead. But that's asking too much. Typically with these, I like to just get the silhouette of the person, which you can also do in post, but that's a subjective thing.
I agree. I was initially gonna just get the ad and reflection, but he walked into the shot. After I saw how much I liked it, I stood in the rain for a few mins waiting for someone to walk through. No dice.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I agree. I was initially gonna just get the ad and reflection, but he walked into the shot. After I saw how much I liked it, I stood in the rain for a few mins waiting for someone to walk through. No dice.
Heh I had a perfect location staked out a few weeks ago, a kid ran across with a soccer ball, and then a couple...the woman in a gorgeous red dress strolled through before I could figure out the exposure. And then I kept getting bit by mosquitos so I said fuck it.

FWIW, it would've turned into a Tiffany's ad w/o the person in the frame.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Heh I had a perfect location staked out a few weeks ago, a kid ran across with a soccer ball, and then a couple...the woman in a gorgeous red dress strolled through before I could figure out the exposure. And then I kept getting bit by mosquitos so I said fuck it.

FWIW, it would've turned into a Tiffany's ad w/o the person in the frame.
Ha. Maybe i can sell the photo to en for money.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Detail of a gargoyle at St. Finn Barre's Cathedral, Cork, Ireland. Kinda worried about several aspects of this. It's deliberately grainy and contrasty to give an effect, but I'm wondering if I went too far with it? Also not sure of the crop. I could've focused on the gargoyle alone, but I liked the effect of the arch on the right. It's a bit too close at the top but above that are some dark bricks that kinda ruin the image. Also the rotation of the image - I made sure the top of the image was as straight as possible, using the brick line as a guide, but does it still look a little off due to the angle the gargoyle was shot from?

rNlCddm.jpg

Any thoughts any of you might have on the effect, crop or anything at all will be great :)

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
Ease off of the orange.

I might have the same issue [B] Menelaus[/B] has where it looks fine on my computer screen but when I look at it on my iPhone it looks completely different. Also it doesn't help that I have two different monitors too.
Cafe roval by samsh!t, on Flickr
Cafe roval by samsh!t, on Flickr

This is from a recent trip to the "Laguna Negra" in Soria, Spain:
This looks unreal! Are you using a filter or something?

Detail of a gargoyle at St. Finn Barre's Cathedral, Cork, Ireland. Kinda worried about several aspects of this. It's deliberately grainy and contrasty to give an effect, but I'm wondering if I went too far with it? Also not sure of the crop. I could've focused on the gargoyle alone, but I liked the effect of the arch on the right. It's a bit too close at the top but above that are some dark bricks that kinda ruin the image. Also the rotation of the image - I made sure the top of the image was as straight as possible, using the brick line as a guide, but does it still look a little off due to the angle the gargoyle was shot from?

Any thoughts any of you might have on the effect, crop or anything at all will be great :)
I like the crop but it maybe ease off a bit on the sharpness/clarity.

Oct 25, 2017

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
I went camping this last week at a couple of spots and was able to break out the new glass again! First attempt at night sky photos and I got a pretty decent one. I didn't stay up late enough to get a more striking shot but it works for me. Loving this 20mm lens.

Milky Way by Ben Krupka, on Flickr

Untitled by Ben Krupka, on Flickr

Another photo from my new 50-100 1.8.

I have another shot where the bee is buried in the flower but I like this one much better.

Last edited:

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Quick edit with a phone photo
2019-06-26_12-21-34 by Carl Sim, on Flickr

I feel like the photo could have been better but updating my camera app seems to have messed up the Night mode. I'll probably downgrade to the previous version to see if it improves