• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
I still didn't edit all of those portraits that I took two weeks ago that I posted some here because I didn't have time. I've tested my new 35/1.8 wide open there, didn't like much of what I saw on the back of the camera and changed back to the 135/2 quickly. But looking at the JPGs (I was shooting raw+jpg) SOOTC today on the computer, I quite liked some of them. While that little lens might not be as good as a 35/1.4L, it's much better than my old 50/1.4 specially the focus accuracy (although I'm sure the better AF of the EOS R had something to do with it).

Two examples of the SOOTC with the RF 35/1.8.

eJeuOU7.jpg

74MVwQc.jpg

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys,
Quick question. I use a fujifilm XT10 with a 18-55mm 2.8-4 lens and mostly do travel photography (street and landscape).
Should I stick with this lens or do you guys have any recommendations that would improve my kit? Keep in mind that I would prefer to only carry a lens around.
Is the new 16mm 2.8 prime lens better for this setup? I'm mostly interested in increased sharpness. The 1.4 is too expensive, I'm afraid.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Hey guys,
Quick question. I use a fujifilm XT10 with a 18-55mm 2.8-4 lens and mostly do travel photography (street and landscape).
Should I stick with this lens or do you guys have any recommendations that would improve my kit? Keep in mind that I would prefer to only carry a lens around.
Is the new 16mm 2.8 prime lens better for this setup? I'm mostly interested in increased sharpness. The 1.4 is too expensive, I'm afraid.
For increased sharpness get the 23mm f2, or the 35mm f2. One would be 35mm and the other would be 50mm equivalent. Take a look at your photos and figure which length is closer to your comfort zone. And shoot at f5.6 during daytime, which is where those lenses are at their sharpest.

The 16 f2.8 would be fine if you're comfortable at that length. 24mm isn't typical and not a beginner length. That's a bit wide.

Last edited:

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For increased sharpness get the 23mm f2, or the 35mm f2. One would be 35mm and the other would be 50mm equivalent. Take a look at your photos and figure which length is closer to your comfort zone. And shoot at f5.6 during daytime, which is where those lenses are at their sharpest.

The 16 f2.8 would be fine if you're comfortable at that length. 24mm isn't typical and not a beginner length. That's a bit wide.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. It's a new world when it comes to lens for me and have no one in real life to talk about this, so I appreciate it. Would I see a significant bump to my IQ and sharpness that justifies getting a new lens over the 18-55 2.8-4?

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. It's a new world when it comes to lens for me and have no one in real life to talk about this, so I appreciate it. Would I see a significant bump to my IQ and sharpness that justifies getting a new lens over the 18-55 2.8-4?
Yes. The F2 primes are leagues better than the 18-55, which I honestly find to be an overrated lens. When I got the X-T2 with the 18-55 I didn't even like it that much. It took getting the 35F2 for me to actually start liking the image output out of the camera.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
That's a tough question, I will elaborate. Zoom lenses, no matter what, are always a compromise. Even the best ones. They perform at their best within the middle ranges and stopped down (higher f-number), so the 18-55, will perform at it's best around 25mm-35mm, at f5.6-f8. I always try to use zoom lenses within their best areas. Any prime lens at any equivalent length will be optically superior. They are just less complex and less of a compromise, there are less barriers to light within the lenses.

When looking at photos holistically side by side from the 18-55 and one of the primes, you will notice the primes are sharper edge to edge...like leaves on trees are more well defined, faces have more details etc. But that's just sharpness, you may notice the primes are also better at contrast, color rendering, subject and background separation etc. But whether those differences are justified, only you can answer.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
I find that the fuji kit lens is pretty nice, honestly. I dont think its as bad as Jaded would make it seem but he's right, the f2 primes are better. I usually keep the 23mm f2 on my camera but i will pull the kit zoom out for family stuff and output with it looks pretty nice imo. Then again these shots aren't my livelihood...

Oct 25, 2017
I find that the fuji kit lens is pretty nice, honestly. I dont think its as bad as Jaded would make it seem but he's right, the f2 primes are better. I usually keep the 23mm f2 on my camera but i will pull the kit zoom out for family stuff and output with it looks pretty nice imo. Then again these shots aren't my livelihood...
My main camera before that was the Nikon 2.8 24-70 and D810. A lot of things don't look right with that as your reference point. I just never liked the look of the 18-55. It's good, but not as good as that fanbase makes it sound like. "Why is this called a kit lens?" It is what it is, it's not Fuji's best best. Anybody claiming that it's a good reference point isn't respecting Fuji's primes.

Mushroom

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really enjoying the kit lens that came with my X-T2, I'll probalby look into getting the 16mm 2.8 prime at some point.

esseesse

Oct 27, 2017
I was in Berlin and Munich last year. Would love to do Nurburgring with a telephoto lens. As it is Berlin is a very interesting place to shoot due to the architecture, graffiti and people.

So in general, you wanna focus the viewers eyes somewhere, so keep that in mind. It's either a specific thing or scene that should make sense. And the less clutter the better, more aesthetically pleasing. With Nurburgring, I see that you were able to get very close to the track, but it's just the track itself, which isn't that interesting. Waiting till a car came around would have been better. I do like the one with the car heading straight, that's good. I think you also missed out on doing some experiments with panning, a track is one of the places you can do that:

I would love to do some panning but without a telephoto it's just impossible. All of this was mostly done with a kit lens and a nifty fifty. The first one can't focus properly not matter how many times I try. It's just too slow and way out of range. As for not catching any car, you absolutely right. I was eager to see the cars that I actually forgot to shoot them!

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Last edited:

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
I have an annual family camping trip that I go on each year. This time we weren't able to actually go camping because my sister in law was recovering from surgery but we rented a house on top of a mountain overlooking a valley near Meeker, Colorado. While up there I was treated to some incredible sunsets and weather events.

Meeker, CO by Ben Krupka, on Flickr

Untitled by Ben Krupka, on Flickr

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone had a good experience ordering a framed print online? I want to upload the image and let them take care of the rest but I'd like to not worry about final quality too much when I'm paying for framing etc in advance. I was thinking of using Adoramapix but I'll accept other suggestions.

Mushroom

Oct 25, 2017
I've been looking more into using lightroom as an artistic tool whereas before I just used it to "correct" the photo. I've seen that there people who sell presets, I was looking into Jamie Windsor's presets since I enjoy his video so it would partly be just to support him, but does anyone else have any recommendations for presets or tutorials?

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Anyone had a good experience ordering a framed print online? I want to upload the image and let them take care of the rest but I'd like to not worry about final quality too much when I'm paying for framing etc in advance. I was thinking of using Adoramapix but I'll accept other suggestions.
my friend has used adoramapix but not for framed prints.

I've used bayphoto and WHCC.com for gallery wraps, float wraps, acrylic face mount and metal prints. I usually just frame my self, but those professional labs will do top notch stuff.
I've been looking more into using lightroom as an artistic tool whereas before I just used it to "correct" the photo. I've seen that there people who sell presets, I was looking into Jamie Windsor's presets since I enjoy his video so it would partly be just to support him, but does anyone else have any recommendations for presets or tutorials?
how many presets is he selling and for how much?
I wouldn't buy any unless you really just want to support him. You can play with thr sliders and check the default presets to find what they're doing to replicate looks you like.

Mushroom

Oct 25, 2017
my friend has used adoramapix but not for framed prints.

I've used bayphoto and WHCC.com for gallery wraps, float wraps, acrylic face mount and metal prints. I usually just frame my self, but those professional labs will do top notch stuff.
how many presets is he selling and for how much?
I wouldn't buy any unless you really just want to support him. You can play with thr sliders and check the default presets to find what they're doing to replicate looks you like.
I think they're about 10 for 15 bucks. I do like messing with the sliders, but I do again I do enjoy his videos quite a bit.

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
Did my friend band mates headshots in his house. It was my first time doing this. I think after editing everything came out well. I actually might redo them in black and white after seeing some of these posts here

Uncanny reservoir head shots by samsh!t, on Flickr

I like the girl in pink

Last edited: