• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fox1304

Oct 26, 2017
Did a quick shooting with my baby girl to try a bit more the Fujinon 50mm f/2 & my new Fuji X100S. Loving both equally, a pleasure to shoot with.
Also, I changed my SD Card for a Sandisk Extreme and couldn't believe how faster I went out of burst mode and could snap again compared to my previous card.

IflnPKph.jpg

3jElWhSh.jpg

ochS6RNh.jpg

4zPILTah.jpg

UU2IDKRh.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Did my friend band mates headshots in his house. It was my first time doing this. I think after editing everything came out well. I actually might redo them in black and white after seeing some of these posts here

Uncanny reservoir head shots by samsh!t, on Flickr

I like the girl in pink
The two girls with pink hair actually ended up in Explore on Flickr, I need one more like for it to hit 100 favorites. Regarding the portraits they would probably work better in B&W. Also good job on not boosting the K temp too high for these, they skin tone wise they're a lot better than too orange.
Did a quick shooting with my baby girl to try a bit more the Fujinon 50mm f/2 & my new Fuji X100S. Loving both equally, a pleasure to shoot with.
Also, I changed my SD Card for a Sandisk Extreme and couldn't believe how faster I went out of burst mode and could snap again compared to my previous card.

IflnPKph.jpg

3jElWhSh.jpg

ochS6RNh.jpg

4zPILTah.jpg

UU2IDKRh.jpg
She's a natural, I knew these were Fuji shots from the onset, might want to tone down the highlights on that second pic since her skin is like completely blown out.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I've been looking more into using lightroom as an artistic tool whereas before I just used it to "correct" the photo. I've seen that there people who sell presets, I was looking into Jamie Windsor's presets since I enjoy his video so it would partly be just to support him, but does anyone else have any recommendations for presets or tutorials?
I was gonna comment on your photos earlier, but got busy. I like the guy in the train but why did you take it at f7? And looking at the rest, you are using very high f stops for most, which is causing the camera to boost the ISO instead to compensate. Are you doing this on purpose? Taking the train example, if the lens was set at f2.8 at 18mm, you could have set the shutter at 250 and gotten away with it, he would have been much sharper, assuming you focused on his upper body/face. The motion blur is great, as it adds kinetic energy, but you want the face/non moving parts to be sharp.

The butterfly is a great shot. As for the rest you posted, I think use lightroom or CaptureOne to manually edit/process these. Don't go with a pre baked filter. You will learn a lot more. And I am still curious about the high f stops.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
My photography has really slowed down this year. I'm glad that there's always great stuff to come back to here when I get back to Era. Work blocked all access to the site so I can't really spend much time here (only mobile, and ugh) and personal life has been super busy.

I did try to spend some time getting out to take some star photos this summer though. Had a few days to myself a couple weeks ago. A whole lot of cloud cover to contend with though.

The Milky Way Over Old Barn
by Tyler Jacobs, on Flickr

The Milky Way Over Goodman Park
by Tyler Jacobs, on Flickr

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
So many wonderful portraits on this page 🙏

And I love those Astro shots, ghostemoji, especially the one framed by the forest. You tend to see those type of shots as purely open sky. That one is visually arresting.

Some new stuff from me, playing around with my newly bought Nikkor 300mm 4.5 ED

This lens is INSANE for the value. It is very sharp, even wide open, and extremely sharp stopped down. If any of you manual focus shooters want some reach, get this lens now. Make sure it's the ED version.

Thank you! Felt inspired the whole time I was up there. Plus I've seemingly honed my processing style a bit recently.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Great shots. I think you just sold me on the 35mm f2 for Fuji. I particularly like the shot of the older woodworker.

I would like to know what that guy reading the book is doing! He's got one hand on his book and one hand on a mixing board. Is he in the middle of the world's laziest DJ set?

Oct 25, 2017
Great shots. I think you just sold me on the 35mm f2 for Fuji. I particularly like the shot of the older woodworker.

I would like to know what that guy reading the book is doing! He's got one hand on his book and one hand on a mixing board. Is he in the middle of the world's laziest DJ set?
Thank you!
I'm still not 100% on it myself, I enjoy manual focus more than autofocus, but it does let me get some shots I wouldn't have gotten otherwise, so... I guess it's good?
I'd be much happier with it if enabling MF on the body somehow engaged focus limiters or a more mechanical manual focus, but for what it is, it's great.

esseesse

Oct 27, 2017
I was 5 days in Amsterdam last week. Took my film camera with me, a Canonet QL17, and managed to get some pretty decent shots I'd say! The lightmeter on it is busted so I use an app on the phone when I have some doubts about the exposure.

Shot on Fuji Superia 400 and Kodak Ektar 100. I love shooting film way more than digital. A real shame it costs an arm and a leg.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gZRKjn] 2019 Amsterdam 35mm by António Relvas, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gZSuA8] 2019 Amsterdam 35mm by António Relvas, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gZRJSf] 2019 Amsterdam 35mm by António Relvas, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gZRJVB] 2019 Amsterdam 35mm by António Relvas, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gZRJY2] 2019 Amsterdam 35mm by António Relvas, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gZRJZp] 2019 Amsterdam 35mm by António Relvas, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gZRK6w] 2019 Amsterdam 35mm by António Relvas, on Flickr[/URL]

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
thanks. i dont usually share photos of my kids but that lens is so good.

Just got a new softbox and back drop and wanted to try it out on the kids. Fun stuff - but trying to get the kids to stay still for a portrait is impossible.

DSCF7562 by ekimneems, on Flickr

DSCF7521 by ekimneems, on Flickr
ha you did great. these are nicely done.
i'm always jealous of you guys able to do these controlled lighting setups. Every time i try it it turns out rubbish.

Oct 25, 2017
Just got a new softbox and back drop and wanted to try it out on the kids. Fun stuff - but trying to get the kids to stay still for a portrait is impossible.

DSCF7562 by ekimneems, on Flickr

DSCF7521 by ekimneems, on Flickr
What you're getting is pretty much the exact reason why I use a three light set up for my head shots. It's moody for an artistic portrait but too bathed in shadow for anything I'd be able to turn in at work. Also why did you go black backdrop? There's almost no sense of separation from the background going on here.

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017
ha you did great. these are nicely done.
i'm always jealous of you guys able to do these controlled lighting setups. Every time i try it it turns out rubbish.

Thanks - was literally my first test so I've got a lot to learn. I was using TTL but I think I'll do manual next time to dial in the perfect light.

What you're getting is pretty much the exact reason why I use a three light set up for my head shots. It's moody for an artistic portrait but too bathed in shadow for anything I'd be able to turn in at work. Also why did you go black backdrop? There's almost no sense of separation from the background going on here.

I just got a black/white pop-up backdrop. Didn't wanna go crazy since it's literally just for messing around. Might use it to take some pics of my watch collection. Once I get a little better experimenting I might buy some more gear.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks - was literally my first test so I've got a lot to learn. I was using TTL but I think I'll do manual next time to dial in the perfect light.

I just got a black/white pop-up backdrop. Didn't wanna go crazy since it's literally just for messing around. Might use it to take some pics of my watch collection. Once I get a little better experimenting I might buy some more gear.
Yeah with off camera flash you pretty much have to use manual so it takes a bit to get used to that. Black and white backdrops are perfect for product photography. Two flashes and a strobe is what I've been using for awhile.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
BlueTsunami ; thanks! I really like those shots with the 300mm. The contrast is really superb with that subject.

Astral/H3X ; I love the photo of the goat framed by the out of focus fencing or whatever it is. It's really captivating.

ekimneems ; I love those portraits. I like how the kids faces just slowly fade into the background.

Some more from my trip up north:

Big Smoky Falls by Tyler Jacobs, on Flickr

Strong Falls by Tyler Jacobs, on Flickr

Daves Falls by Tyler Jacobs, on Flickr

Looking for spots to explore once the fall colors hit.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Playing with split toning

The burgundy borders are for the sake of Instagram and its restrictive ratio. But I like how it sort of acts as a transition into the monochrome tones.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got to use the 7 Artisans 60mm that I got last week; I went to a photography club, and they were doing general close ups of whatever was on hand; that accounts for most of the pictures, barring the Lego guy.

I didn't bring a tripod or flash or anything, so these are all handheld, using my phone as a light source with various 'creative' obstructions to create the light patterns that I could.

20190825-FUJI4543.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
20190825-FUJI4539.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
20190825-FUJI4529.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
20190825-FUJI4520.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr

20190825-FUJI4511.jpg by Hunter Mauro, on Flickr
Look how close I can get! Here's me getting the shot:
AghXaMS.jpg

Overall thoughts: ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME HOW IS THIS ONLY $150!?!?!
Oh, I know how -- The lens doesn't really "focus" so much as it is just one solid lens that just moves forward and away from you. This is how it's able to be so far away from the subject at a 1:2 reproduction ratio (it goes to 1:1 at 26cm); but that means the inner barrel moves forward with it when you focus really close. Thankfully, this barrel is removable, so that at 1:1 it only extends out about 1cm.
*that being said*, removes this inner barrel also opens up large gaps on the inside of the lens, which could allow dirt inside, which means it's not an "always off" sort of thing -- just when you need the extra space or know stuff won't get in there.

I'm very happy with this lens. Built like a tank. I shall use it to defend my home and then also take pictures of the aftermath in gruesome detail.

Oct 25, 2017
Ooo, I was looking into getting the 60mm Fuji lens but that looks like a good alternative.
If you're wanting an all around lens, the 60mm is probably the better bet... But 60mm at 2.8 for general purpose is a bit "off". If you want macro first and foremost, save the cash and get the 7artisans; the Fuji 60 doesn't have OIS so it provides no real advantage in macro as far as I'm concerned.

This focuses from infinity to 1:1, but the range from infinity to a few feet out is really short, and can be difficult ish to focus well... It really is "macro first, general as emergency" lens, but that's a huge step up from the "macro only" set up of using an extension tube on the Canon FD 50mm I was doing, so EH.
Also being a better focal length and brighter aperture helps.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
I got lucky on a walk through the park. It seems an osprey (don't know if it's the same one from a couple years ago) showed up again. Sadly no fish caught. This time I had the 150-600mm to get a little closer. 😉

48613288358_dfb868bc74_h.jpg

48613287413_64018bd1be_h.jpg

Nov 11, 2017
I got lucky on a walk through the park. It seems an osprey (don't know if it's the same one from a couple years ago) showed up again. Sadly no fish caught. This time I had the 150-600mm to get a little closer. 😉

48613288358_dfb868bc74_h.jpg

48613287413_64018bd1be_h.jpg
These are awesome, there are Mississippi kites here in Kansas at the moment that I have been out to watch but I can't get anywhere close to them with my 400mm.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
These are awesome, there are Mississippi kites here in Kansas at the moment that I have been out to watch but I can't get anywhere close to them with my 400mm.

I like the Tamron 150-600 G2 a fair amount, though it's pretty much not optional when it comes to buying the TAP-in Console to tune the lens. I had to make adjustments for my particular camera body, and I'm pretty sure it won't ever be adjusted perfectly. To be honest I'm looking forward to going mirrorless (Canon or switching) for the next body, as this whole calibration thing should more or less be solved with ditching the whole mirror/prism mechanism of an SLR.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Do any of you have portfolio websites? I'm gathering suggestions. Adobe Portfolio seems good so I might ditch my WordPress attempt.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone have any recommendations for making semi-larger prints? I'm talking something you'd hang in a frame on a wall, so not crazy huge. Just a decent size between a foot and two feet large.