• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 11, 2017
I like the Tamron 150-600 G2 a fair amount, though it's pretty much not optional when it comes to buying the TAP-in Console to tune the lens. I had to make adjustments for my particular camera body, and I'm pretty sure it won't ever be adjusted perfectly. To be honest I'm looking forward to going mirrorless (Canon or switching) for the next body, as this whole calibration thing should more or less be solved with ditching the whole mirror/prism mechanism of an SLR.
Yeah I have looked at the Sigma and Tamron 150-600 options, I may end up getting one when they are on sale. I am going to wait it out another couple of years before I look at a new camera body, there is no real benefit for me right now in upgrading though the 90D does look like it will be nice.

JosephMichael

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Could I ask you all for some advice on buying a ND filter?

I really like taking landscape photos and want to start shooting longer exposures during the day time. I initially thought I just wanted to get a "static" 10-stop ND filter that got decent reviews and wasn't crazy expensive. I ended up finding an option in the $100 range.

After talking with a co-worker, he mentioned I should think about getting a variable ND filter to give myself the ability to switch between stops (for potential portrait shots and whatnot).

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience/can recommend a variable ND filter in that same price range? Or if I'm better off just getting the 10-stop one right now for landscape?

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's like on the one hand it's amazing how detailed the model is but.... On the other hand it's amazing how detailed the model is 😬

Oct 25, 2017
My thought on that is it's a weird result coming from the fact that life in Japan sucks ass after high school, and thus all media must take place in high school, but also people wanna draw butts, so you draw the butts where you can.

*Shrug*
This figure certainly doesn't look like the 14 year old she supposedly is.

Oct 25, 2017
Ran into some good light on a work trip a few weeks ago. Muskegon, MI!

Lake Michigan At Sunset
by Tyler Jacobs, on Flickr

Lake Michigan At Sunset

Lake Michigan At Sunset
These are great.
My thought on that is it's a weird result coming from the fact that life in Japan sucks ass after high school, and thus all media must take place in high school, but also people wanna draw butts, so you draw the butts where you can.

*Shrug*
Asuka is worst waifu though, be a man of culture and get a Rei figure.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys, never done photography, but looking to get into it...

We went to Italy, and took so many pics on our phones, that we've been thinking of using a higher quality camera from now on.

Coincidentally, a friend of hers is selling a barely used ( ive seen pics, it's almost new imo) Canon Rebel T6 for $275.

Do you guys think this is a good price? And is the camera worth that for a newbie? Thanks

Oct 25, 2017

We went to Italy, and took so many pics on our phones, that we've been thinking of using a higher quality camera from now on.

Coincidentally, a friend of hers is selling a barely used ( ive seen pics, it's almost new imo) Canon Rebel T6 for $275.

Do you guys think this is a good price? And is the camera worth that for a newbie? Thanks
inb4 Jaded shits on it

I'm sure there are potentially better cameras that could be found for around that price used, but, lenses are cheap for Canon and widely available. At that price, go for it; but do remember it's a very entry level camera.

What that means for you, in being entry level, is more along the lines of things like nice features, high burst rates, lightning autofocus, those sorts of things. Image quality wise, it'll be a huge step up, as that is determined more by the sensor size (which is adequate on this camera) and lens (which is separate).

Oct 25, 2017

The whole question depends on if you want to learn on a DSLR.
inb4 Jaded shits on it

I'm sure there are potentially better cameras that could be found for around that price used, but, lenses are cheap for Canon and widely available. At that price, go for it; but do remember it's a very entry level camera.

What that means for you, in being entry level, is more along the lines of things like nice features, high burst rates, lightning autofocus, those sorts of things. Image quality wise, it'll be a huge step up, as that is determined more by the sensor size (which is adequate on this camera) and lens (which is separate).
I mean I do hate Rebels.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
The thing about Rebels these days is that the OVFs are bad enough that it's basically a mirrorless camera in how you'll end up using it anyway. Search for a nice pentaprism finder, probably on a used body, if you want to really enjoy what's good and different about DSLRs vs mirrorless.

That said, buy whatever you'll enjoy, essentially any ILC these days can take really satisfying images. Unless you are shooting for money or have really specialized needs, it ultimately comes down to the shooting experience in my mind. Buy something you'll want to take with you every day. That's the best way to learn.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
BTW I realized I didn't actually answer your question, which is whether it's a good deal. I assume it comes with the kit lens... that camera new is currently on sale for $400 until tomorrow, so it depends on how much having it new and having the warranty is to you. Personally I'd go for the used model, then buy a lens you think you'll have fun with. Also used since Canon DSLR glass is EXTREMELY plentiful used.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Could I ask you all for some advice on buying a ND filter?

I really like taking landscape photos and want to start shooting longer exposures during the day time. I initially thought I just wanted to get a "static" 10-stop ND filter that got decent reviews and wasn't crazy expensive. I ended up finding an option in the $100 range.

After talking with a co-worker, he mentioned I should think about getting a variable ND filter to give myself the ability to switch between stops (for potential portrait shots and whatnot).

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience/can recommend a variable ND filter in that same price range? Or if I'm better off just getting the 10-stop one right now for landscape?
Go for the 10 stop. Variable would give you flexibility but they lack quality. I got a mid range 10 stop and it's really good. If you have a new-ish camera, you should get e-shutter of 8000+ which is fine for daylight portraits.

Ran into some good light on a work trip a few weeks ago. Muskegon, MI!
These are very nice. I really should order a 10 stop ND for my new 16mm lens.

Definitely want a DSLR (just read some quick bullet points on it lol)
The Rebel is fine, just don't buy a zoom lens for APS-C right away, buy a fast prime lens. Pick up the 50mm 1.8, very cheap, it'll take great portraits, and pick up the 35mm f2 used if you can, it'll be an allrounder.
I really like this one for aesthetics....but I am really over the over sexualized anime girl thing.

Oct 25, 2017
The thing about Rebels these days is that the OVFs are bad enough that it's basically a mirrorless camera in how you'll end up using it anyway. Search for a nice pentaprism finder, probably on a used body, if you want to really enjoy what's good and different about DSLRs vs mirrorless.

That said, buy whatever you'll enjoy, essentially any ILC these days can take really satisfying images. Unless you are shooting for money or have really specialized needs, it ultimately comes down to the shooting experience in my mind. Buy something you'll want to take with you every day. That's the best way to learn.
I believe consumer grade OVF's are 90% coverage, it's pretty dumb to be honest to skimp on that.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
I believe consumer grade OVF's are 90% coverage, it's pretty dumb to be honest to skimp on that.

The main issue is that the Canon has a pentamirror, and those tend to be dark compared to a pentaprism.

But yeah, Canon seems torn between making a DSLR that's essentially a mirrorless camera because consumers are used to buying them, or making a true mirrorless. The EOS-M system feels less conflicted, but then you have the problem of lens catalogue.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California

*Shrug*
What's your set up like btw? Macro lens? What kind of background?

Oct 25, 2017
What's your set up like btw? Macro lens? What kind of background?

These were taken using an XT2, with the 7artisans 60mm macro. For background, I use my PC monitor on an articulating arm. I stand the figure up on a large block to get it off the desk itself, which allows me more room to control camera angles, as well as lower the screen further if I need to to make sure the background is always visible.

For lights, I have a yonguo on a flash stand with a shoot through umbrella; it's connected to a wireless transmitter.
On the desk I have a tiny little baby flash holder, but it has a wifi bulb on it, that I can adjust the brightness and color of. I don't take advantage of the adjustable color as much as I should, but it's there if I need it.

I control exposure by using shutter speed to adjust intensity of background and the adjustable light bulb, and the flash transmitter adjusts the flash exposure.

I use a postcard as a reflector to keep the face lit gently.

Depending on what I'm doing, I may also use my phone's flash as a point light, but that's almost exclusively as either face fill, or as a building light when doing Legos.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
48660199192_9ee483127d_k.jpg

mu9p8tb.jpg

Went up to Kerry for the weekend and took a good number of photographs. The second one here really surprised us as it was taken quickly with my phone without any real thought put into it as we were waiting for the sunset.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017

AngryMoth

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from a dream trip to Fiji and Tonga. I started getting interested in photography through diving a few years ago and decided to take the plunge upgrading from a compact to a mirrorless setup this year. Still very much a beginner so much keeper rate was very low but pretty happy with some of the shots I got, especially the whales.

sYb1Wib.jpg

xK3i7gz.jpg

oLRTZaQ.jpg

SAljB5A.jpg

XUXOPKB.jpg

77PgjRp.jpg

8hI9Zxh.jpg

VQXupti.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from a dream trip to Fiji and Tonga. I started getting interested in photography through diving a few years ago and decided to take the plunge upgrading from a compact to a mirrorless setup this year. Still very much a beginner so much keeper rate was very low but pretty happy with some of the shots I got, especially the whales.

sYb1Wib.jpg

xK3i7gz.jpg

oLRTZaQ.jpg

SAljB5A.jpg

XUXOPKB.jpg

8hI9Zxh.jpg
These are great

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
How did you get these, were you in a submerged viewing platform, and the area was lit by the ship? I can't imagine you were swimming in scuba gear while taking the photos.
Also some of these are really good!

AngryMoth

Oct 25, 2017
How did you get these, were you in a submerged viewing platform, and the area was lit by the ship? I can't imagine you were swimming in scuba gear while taking the photos.
Also some of these are really good!
Shark dives were on scuba, whales was snorkelling/freediving as the bubbles scare them so scuba is not permitted. Got an underwater housing setup

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Converting fiancee to Fuji prior to our Japan trip, To justify buying more lenses to slim down needing to bring redundant lenses to reduce what we need to take. Bought her a used X-E3 off KEH and ordered the Laowa 9mm to mark my glorious return to stuper-wide.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
2dzm2Vl.jpg

ToiiM1S.jpg

2lhUDAO.jpg

Some more from the Kerry trip. I've never done a panorama before so I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Also my first time in a dark sky reserve where I was able to get a pretty good image of the Milky Way. The bottom image is Torc Waterfall which I've photographed before, but it was flowing a lot more this time.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
2dzm2Vl.jpg

ToiiM1S.jpg

2lhUDAO.jpg

Some more from the Kerry trip. I've never done a panorama before so I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Also my first time in a dark sky reserve where I was able to get a pretty good image of the Milky Way. The bottom image is Torc Waterfall which I've photographed before, but it was flowing a lot more this time.

Lovely waterfall shot! Framed very nicely.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Lovely waterfall shot! Framed very nicely.

Thank you! Like I said I'd photographed Torc before but it was during a bit of a drought so there wasn't nearly as much water. I don't usually photograph things I already have unless I can find something new to focus on and with the significant extra amount of water I thought it was worth it this time.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Hello Photography-Era.

I'm writing a story involving a Forensic Photographer and, having next to zero knowledge about the profession or, really, the technology in general, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction into getting familiar with the subject and the equipment, at least enough to have some passing knowledge. I like to be meticulous in researching topics I write about and empathize with those who see their profession depicted falsely or with tasteless stereotypes.

I realize that's a broad question to ask, so I guess an easier question would be: what do you see regarding photography as portrayed in certain media which annoys you due to inaccuracies or certain stereotypes?

Oct 25, 2017
Hello Photography-Era.

I'm writing a story involving a Forensic Photographer and, having next to zero knowledge about the profession or, really, the technology in general, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction into getting familiar with the subject and the equipment, at least enough to have some passing knowledge. I like to be meticulous in researching topics I write about and empathize with those who see their profession depicted falsely or with tasteless stereotypes.

I realize that's a broad question to ask, so I guess an easier question would be: what do you see regarding photography as portrayed in certain media which annoys you due to inaccuracies or certain stereotypes?
You should honestly speak to a forensic photographer about this since I don't think any of us handle this field. Contact your local police department.

Oct 25, 2017
Good idea but I already have that lined up. Figured I'd ask here too, especially regarding the pet-peeve question.
Regarding pet peeves it's people not using gear that makes sense. I was watching Godzilla King of Monsters and the dud is doing wildlife photography with a D5 and 70-200 and I'm like...that's way too close to be photographing wolves eating and he's probably getting pictures that are too close to be realistic for the equipment.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Regarding pet peeves it's people not using gear that makes sense. I was watching Godzilla King of Monsters and the dud is doing wildlife photography with a D5 and 70-200 and I'm like...that's way too close to be photographing wolves eating and he's probably getting pictures that are too close to be realistic for the equipment.
Youd think someone on a film set would notice things like using correct camera equipment 🤔

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
2dzm2Vl.jpg

ToiiM1S.jpg

2lhUDAO.jpg

Anything specific for Milky Way? Did you stack or long exposure?

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Hello Photography-Era.

Funny thing is I also noticed that scene in Godzilla. But for forensic photography, let's say at crime scenes, typically they are portrayed well IMO. You basically need the ring flash, the gear doesn't matter that much.

The stakeout scenes are typically bad, they are using zooms and taking photos in the dark. Gear will matter there.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Anything specific for Milky Way? Did you stack or long exposure?

I didn't stack, I didn't even think about it at the time (and regretted later). We bought a new lens specifically for astrophotography, the Sigma 30mm 1.4 DC Art. At 30mm it's not the widest lens but the massively wide aperture and finding a good deal on it sealed it for us. That session for me was mostly spent testing, seeing what happens with different settings. We had an idea for this small ruin of a castle in the dark sky area, to put torches inside it and shoot it with the Milky Way, but we were waiting for the sunset somewhere else and by the time we got back it was completely dark and we hadn't trekked out to the ruin yet to see the state of the path out there with the tide only having gone out a few hours before. Next time we go up, we're going to get that shot of the castle and as much of the bay as possible. And of course, I will be stacking like crazy.

Exif data for that shot - ISO4000, f/1.4, 10 second exposure, 30mm