• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zephyr

Nov 9, 2017
Spain
75exn30.jpg

JNfAo29.jpg

z4UZ2jB.jpg

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
VD0EKOr.jpg

Almost exactly the same shot, but landscape this time as opposed to portrait and I pushed the colour editing further. Really unsure as to which I prefer....

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, Timedog. Glad to see you're still around! I like your editing style a lot in that photo!

How are you getting on with the EOS R?

Timedog

Oct 29, 2017
Holy shit, Timedog. Glad to see you're still around! I like your editing style a lot in that photo!

How are you getting on with the EOS R?
Thanks, dood!

Overall I like it. My number 1 gripe with it is that there's no "sensitivity" for the touch and drag AF. It's like if windows didn't allow you to adjust mouse sensitivity and the default mouse speed was slow. Such an easy feature to implement too :(. The other 2 issues I have are no 120fps @1080p and no IBIS. These aren't that big of a deal because I don't do video very much, and most of the lenses I use handheld are either very fast, or have IS.

But yeah, If it had that, IBIS, and 120fps it'd be the perfect camera for me. Everything else is awesome and the lenses are out of this world. Just the way it feels in my hand is incredible, the grip is perfection.

Timedog

Oct 29, 2017
I normally don't care that much about pictures of ducks, even when I take them, but this one looks great! The color and composition are very pleasing.
I normally don't care that much about pictures of ducks, even when I take them, but this one looks great! The color and composition are very pleasing.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, dood!

Overall I like it. My number 1 gripe with it is that there's no "sensitivity" for the touch and drag AF. It's like if windows didn't allow you to adjust mouse sensitivity and the default mouse speed was slow. Such an easy feature to implement too :(. The other 2 issues I have are no 120fps @1080p and no IBIS. These aren't that big of a deal because I don't do video very much, and most of the lenses I use handheld are either very fast, or have IS.

But yeah, If it had that, IBIS, and 120fps it'd be the perfect camera for me. Everything else is awesome and the lenses are out of this world. Just the way it feels in my hand is incredible, the grip is perfection.

Yeah, the grip really does feel great from what I've used of it.

I think the Mark II or whatever pro body they decide to release for RF mount is going to be something special. They're lagging behind the competition right now, but they're also doing a lot of great stuff in ergonomics, user interface/experience, as well as great lenses. If they can catch up in terms of burst rates, autofocus performance (firmware updates after release have already made a lot of progress), buffer size, and battery life, I think they Canon will be a force to contend with in the mirrorless scene, just like they were with DSLRs.

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017
First time developing and scanning my own film. Was a bit nerve-wracking, and I think I might have pushed a little because there are some blown out highlights I had to work to recover.

Contax G1, Planar 45/2, Portra 400 - scanned with Fuji XT2 and Negative Lab Pro

Bear Mountain, Contax G1 Portra 400 by ekimneems, on Flickr

Really not sure what happened with that last one - I think in the spool it might have been touching another part of the reel or something - it just didn't get exposed to the Dev for long enough is my guess.

Oct 25, 2017
First time developing and scanning my own film. Was a bit nerve-wracking, and I think I might have pushed a little because there are some blown out highlights I had to work to recover.

Really not sure what happened with that last one - I think in the spool it might have been touching another part of the reel or something - it just didn't get exposed to the Dev for long enough is my guess.
I'm starting to really enjoy what clouds can add to an image so those blown out skies would drive me crazy.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
A couple of weeks ago, I took a couple of days off and ventured out to Rocky Mountain National Park with my brother and then took my 4 year old daughter to go on a 10 mile backpacking trip. She was such a boss. Her favorite part was seeing the moose. However, my inability to get a sharp photo of said moose, has me considering getting a different telephoto and a better tripod.

Untitled by Ben Krupka, on Flickr

Nov 11, 2017
A couple of weeks ago, I took a couple of days off and ventured out to Rocky Mountain National Park with my brother and then took my 4 year old daughter to go on a 10 mile backpacking trip. She was such a boss. Her favorite part was seeing the moose. However, my inability to get a sharp photo of said moose, has me considering getting a different telephoto and a better tripod.

Nice photos, looks like a fun hike. You just needed a faster shutter speed with the moose. 1/50th at 200mm on a moving subject is going to give you motion blur regardless of the lens.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
Nice photos, looks like a fun hike. You just needed a faster shutter speed with the moose. 1/50th at 200mm on a moving subject is going to give you motion blur regardless of the lens.
I thought my ISO was higher than it was. Shoot. I haven't been happy with the results that I've gotten on Aperture priority or Shutter Speed priority so I was in full manual. I guess I forgot to look at my ISO.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
telephoto should be 1/focal length minimum to stop camera shake, and of course appropriate speed for moving subjects.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017

Did you check out the Walkway over the Hudson? I gotta hit the riverside towns soon I guess. The colors seem amazing.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
Bee on Flowers by Daniel Kelly, on Flickr

Rainbow Over Scotland by Daniel Kelly, on Flickr

Still feel like I am far behind some of the others posting in this thread but I am very happy with my current rate of improvement. As a side note I finally solved a color shifting issue I was have between lightroom and firefox. For the longest time I wasn't sure if it was an export issue, an upload to web issue or a monitor issue or something else. Turns out it was that Firefox was not grabbing the correct ICC profile for its colour management.

Also if anyone wants to follow me on Flickr or Instagram I would gladly follow you back! I need some more goog photographers in my feeds.
Insta: https://www.instagram.com/photosbydgkelly/
Flickr:https://www.flickr.com/people/157449871@N05/

Hopefully will be more active both on social and here going forward.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
I
Your ISO is way too high. (Also on some other shots in your Flickr stream). You may want to exchange the high ISO for a slower shutter speed - especially for landscapes.
In this particular case I was shooting from a very dark high speed moving train. High ISO was the only way to to have a shutter speed fast enough to capture the shot.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017

Zephyr

Nov 9, 2017
Spain
Have a backlog of photos to edit! Very exciting considering how little I feel I get to shoot lately. Went up to the Upper Peninsula for fall colors with my lady this last week. Got some shots including a shot of the same waterfall I probably posted in here last year. Same view, but a little more color!

Hopes Falls Dead River
by Tyler Jacobs, on Flickr

Cabin By The Lake

Waves at Black Rocks
Amazing photos! specially the second one, congratulations!

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
A friend bought his dream car, an old Mercedes from the 70s. I friggin love that thing! These are only quick snapshots, but the car and I will meet again, that's for sure :)
Hopefully I'll find more time to go out and take photos again, I really miss it.

Lio
by scrollt, on Flickr

Stern
by Andreas, on Flickr

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017
Kodak Ultramax 400, it was the only one I could get at the time.

And what camera? I really like the one with the saw.

I've been shooting mostly Kodak Gold 200 since Walgreens decided to clear them out for about $1-3/roll depending on store (cleaned out every store in my area). I def wouldn't pay full price for that or even ultramax though.

Once you get comfortable and are ready to spend a bit more, you can't go wrong with Portra 400 as a pretty much do everything film. Or Tri-X 400 for B&W

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Once you get comfortable and are ready to spend a bit more, you can't go wrong with Portra 400 as a pretty much do everything film. Or Tri-X 400 for B&W

Cool things about Tri-X is that it's a super flexible stock, you can get a bunch of different looks and effects by pushing and pulling. Also, super, extremely forgiving. And if you decide to do some home development, it's pretty easy, safe and straight-forward.

Shot so much of it back in my uni days (we got something like 15 24 shot rolls and 30 8x10" prints a semester) and never got tired of it.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
And what camera? I really like the one with the saw.

I've been shooting mostly Kodak Gold 200 since Walgreens decided to clear them out for about $1-3/roll depending on store (cleaned out every store in my area). I def wouldn't pay full price for that or even ultramax though.

Oh right, the camera is a Mamiya 1000DTL with a Helios 44M lens. The model in the photo with the saw is my dad btw 😁.

hyo6Qbm.jpg

Sorry for the blurry photo as I'm on the bus to work.
it's hard to get film where I live (I have only found Fujicolor 200c so far), nevertheless thanks for the recommendation on the Portra and Tri-x, I'll definitely try to get them to test 'em out. For now I have the camera loaded with a barely expired Kentmere 400 I found at a fleamarket.
Cool things about Tri-X is that it's a super flexible stock, you can get a bunch of different looks and effects by pushing and pulling. Also, super, extremely forgiving. And if you decide to do some home development, it's pretty easy, safe and straight-forward.
Another point for the Tri-x then!

And sorry for the question, what do you mean by pushing and pulling? I just started to shoot as hobby and I'm rather new to film stock.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
And sorry for the question, what do you mean by pushing and pulling? I just started to shoot as hobby and I'm rather new to film stock.

Pushing and pulling is using a different ISO speed than what the film stock is rated for. If you have Tri-X 400 and shoot it as if it were 800 (or 1600, or anything higher and more sensitive), you're pushing the film. You then develop it with some adjustments and the result are pictures with more contrast and punch, stark deep shadows and bigger grain size. A lot of the look associated with Tri-X is actually from it being pushed.

If you have the same Tri-X 400 and shoot it as if it were 200 (or 100, or anything lower and less sensitive), you're pulling the film. Develop it with the appropriate adjustments and you get less overall contrast, but a lot more shadow detail and smoother tonality, and the grain takes on a different look.

Here's a good article on these things :D

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
Today there was a gaming tournament at college. Some photos:

IMGL2711 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

IMGL2682 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

IMGL2742 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

IMGL2526 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

IMGL2753 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

IMGL2612 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

And a couple of students were taking pictures as well.

IMGL2559 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

IMGL2347 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

Last edited: