• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zephyr

Nov 9, 2017
Spain
WiNVT1v.jpg

asANTW4.jpg

B3Jr1GQ.jpg

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
A bit of a backlog but more phone photography. Upgraded to a Note 10+ this time.

IMG_20191014_181810-02 by Carl Sim, on Flickr

IMG_20191014_181610-02 by Carl Sim, on Flickr

00000IMG_00000_BURST20191014180716478_COVER-01 by Carl Sim, on Flickr

20191023_170023-01 by Carl Sim, on Flickr

20191023_173544-01 by Carl Sim, on Flickr

20191023_171044-01 by Carl Sim, on Flickr

20191023_173319-01 by Carl Sim, on Flickr

The portrait mode on the default camera really impressed me. Though I did lose a bit of detail

Oct 25, 2017
DSCF5069 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF5084_1 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF5091_1 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF5200_1
by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF5144_1 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF5206 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF5238 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF5281 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF5286 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF5353 by TIKI, on Flickr
You probably should've stopped down on a few of these, especially the turtle pic to get the face sharp. On one of mine I'm at like F7.1 and the turtle face is tack sharp. I have this lens, barely use it unless I absolutely have to at this point. I personally think the Sony GM is better than this lens.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Yeah probably, I mostly wanted to check out the performance wide open, which is pretty amazing. I don't think I strayed from 2.8 at all, aside from a few landscapes I took. Typically wide open against the sun, all lenses are weakest, so there were some softness and purple fringing, but it's an impressive lens. The Sony and the Canon might still be better.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You guys are scarily good. I was out on a test shoot since I bought a new camera and wanted to try it all out. It's really noticeable for me that it's been way too many years since I did this the last time. I had to constantly think about my settings, instead of it just flowing naturally - annoying.

The model really didn't like looking directly at the camera, which made it really hard to take interesting images, but I think we got away with some decent ones. Next up - getting one of my female friends to model.

KUnSj9N.jpg

iFK09Jg.jpg

iBrhiun.jpg

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017
Cool things about Tri-X is that it's a super flexible stock, you can get a bunch of different looks and effects by pushing and pulling. Also, super, extremely forgiving. And if you decide to do some home development, it's pretty easy, safe and straight-forward.

Shot so much of it back in my uni days (we got something like 15 24 shot rolls and 30 8x10" prints a semester) and never got tired of it.

I only just started developing at home, and my first set of 2 rolls of Tri-X I developed with the Cinestill DF96 Monobath. Seems like they came out great (but I haven't scanned yet). Pretty amazing that in less than 5 minutes and a single bath at only 80 degrees you can develop B&W. Especially when sending B&W to a lab costs SO much more. I only shoot film half the time (the other half with a Fuji X-T2), and only for a hobby at that, so the cost to develop B&W at a lab is just not worth it to me.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I only just started developing at home, and my first set of 2 rolls of Tri-X I developed with the Cinestill DF96 Monobath. Seems like they came out great (but I haven't scanned yet). Pretty amazing that in less than 5 minutes and a single bath at only 80 degrees you can develop B&W. Especially when sending B&W to a lab costs SO much more. I only shoot film half the time (the other half with a Fuji X-T2), and only for a hobby at that, so the cost to develop B&W at a lab is just not worth it to me.

That's cool, hope you'll post some of those shots when they get scanned. Yeah, B&W development is ridiculously straight-forward, especially when doing stuff like DF96 monobath, but even the standard 3-step stuff isn't much more complicated (if a bit more work). I did both D-76 and Rodinal, and always had great results (even though, looking back, I was really sloppy with temperatures and timings, lots of "eh, close enough I guess").

The whole process is not only cheaper than sending it to a lab, but really satisfying, as well. Something about controlling every step of your process enhances the whole thing, IMO. It's just fun. Will never forget how fucking proud I was the first time I opened the tank and could already see the images there :D then doing the contact prints to decide what would get a full-sized print.

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017
That's cool, hope you'll post some of those shots when they get scanned. Yeah, B&W development is ridiculously straight-forward, especially when doing stuff like DF96 monobath, but even the standard 3-step stuff isn't much more complicated (if a bit more work). I did both D-76 and Rodinal, and always had great results (even though, looking back, I was really sloppy with temperatures and timings, lots of "eh, close enough I guess").

The whole process is not only cheaper than sending it to a lab, but really satisfying, as well. Something about controlling every step of your process enhances the whole thing, IMO. It's just fun. Will never forget how fucking proud I was the first time I opened the tank and could already see the images there :D then doing the contact prints to decide what would get a full-sized print.

Well, I seem to like going down hobby rabbit-holes so I'm thinking my next step will be printing =/

But yeah totally, that's why I've been shooting more film in general. With digital I'm just firing shots off for almost no reason. I really like being more deliberate. It's not about "manual controls" or anything like that. Hell I've been shooting on a Contax G1 which is basically an A-priority point and shoot. It's just about patience, composition, thought. Then, to see that all through by actually developing myself, remembering what I shot and determining if I even want to push/pull in dev, etc. It's very satisfying.

Then there's taking pics of my kids, which is exactly what high burst mode and digital was built for.

Koeing

Nov 8, 2018
Hello everyone. I've been a lurker for a while now and finally decided to join the conversation, as intimidating as it seems. I seem to be having trouble embedding my images on here. I keep getting a "something went wrong" error. If it's cool, I'm just gonna leave a link to the album here until I can get it fixed: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmJ1HMXe . They're pictures I took while covering the Kincaide fire for my school paper.

Zephon

Dec 10, 2017
Grabbed the Fuji X-H1 while the crazy sale was going on and man what a fun camera to use. Haven't touched my A7III since I've got the XH1.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
Pushing and pulling is using a different ISO speed than what the film stock is rated for. If you have Tri-X 400 and shoot it as if it were 800 (or 1600, or anything higher and more sensitive), you're pushing the film. You then develop it with some adjustments and the result are pictures with more contrast and punch, stark deep shadows and bigger grain size. A lot of the look associated with Tri-X is actually from it being pushed.

If you have the same Tri-X 400 and shoot it as if it were 200 (or 100, or anything lower and less sensitive), you're pulling the film. Develop it with the appropriate adjustments and you get less overall contrast, but a lot more shadow detail and smoother tonality, and the grain takes on a different look.

Here's a good article on these things :D
I have forgotten to say thanks for the read. I tried those tips on the b/w stock I had and only one picture could develop correctly (it was expired anyways).

ryIQXfD.jpg

I just ordered another b/w film. I'm loving this!

miscellaneous houseplant

self-requsted ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long-time lurker, just wanted to say you all are amazing.

To add to the film discussion, after shooting for a few years, I have found that Ilford HP5+ 400 is my current favorite B&W stock. Costs roughly the same at TriX, and I prefer the less contrast-y look. Just as flexible in exposure at TriX too. You can push that bad boy to the moon.

Kodak Portra 400 is my go-to color film stock - it handles overexposure really well. I don't shoot color film all that often currently, because I usually feel like I could have taken a better photo with a digital camera for less expense. Messing around with expired or cheap color film stocks is fun, but you run the risk of spending a lot of money for garbage results. Especially since film + lab costs can end up costing roughly $0.50/shot.

That said, I prefer shooting with film overall. Much like with other analog formats, the limitations make it all the more rewarding when you get a good result. Plus the suspense of waiting to see how your shots turned out is so exciting.

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017
Long-time lurker, just wanted to say you all are amazing.

To add to the film discussion, after shooting for a few years, I have found that Ilford HP5+ 400 is my current favorite B&W stock. Costs roughly the same at TriX, and I prefer the less contrast-y look. Just as flexible in exposure at TriX too. You can push that bad boy to the moon.

Kodak Portra 400 is my go-to color film stock - it handles overexposure really well. I don't shoot color film all that often currently, because I usually feel like I could have taken a better photo with a digital camera for less expense. Messing around with expired or cheap color film stocks is fun, but you run the risk of spending a lot of money for garbage results. Especially since film + lab costs can end up costing roughly $0.50/shot.

That said, I prefer shooting with film overall. Much like with other analog formats, the limitations make it all the more rewarding when you get a good result. Plus the suspense of waiting to see how your shots turned out is so exciting.

I haven't tried Ilford HP5+ 400 yet. I'll give that a shot when I run out of TriX. Thanks for the rec.

I live in the Northeast so for me, I tend to shoot B&W in general in the winter just because of the lack of color. Everything outside is just brown and the trees are all bare. In the spring and fall, I'll shoot exclusively in color, and then summer I'll mix. On bright sunny days, especially in a city, B&W is fantastic.

Either way, I agree about film. With digital I found myself just blasting the shutter without purpose. Or with some purpose, but just not deliberately enough. And then I'd spend so much time culling that I started to hate the process. With film, even if I take a bad shot, I know it's a shot that I decided to take at that time with purpose, and I will instantly learn from that mistake or hell, even learn to like the mistake.

Oct 25, 2017
Now you've got some range to do street, Jaded :D Great pictures, love the colors.
Thanks. After I got that bird pic I was like, "yup, this is what I bought this lens for..." after almost a thousand pics later. For a lens not known as a bokeh lens it has good bokeh. I'm quite impressed with this. I think this is taking over for the 70-200GM as a park lens. In fact if anybody just intends to do park shit and never any event work I'd recommend this over any of the 70-200's.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Playing with smoke

Body: Sony A7
Lens : Zeiss Distagon 28/2

Processing: Just B&W conversion in Lightroom, curve adjustments and added grain. I also cloned out the small area where my cellphone was perched on that was jutting into the frame.

Setup: Was simply just my phones flashlight placed quarter backlit. Initially wanted to simply capture the smoke but soon realized how cool the flashlight looked in frame, which then shifted to me fanning the smoke towards the light. Resulting in this.

Last edited:

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
I was playing around with my amiibos and a reflective umbrella once again. This time I've used a paper sheet as a white background and bouncer. One of these pictures was taken with my 35mm and the other one with my 135mm. I prefer the perspective of the 135mm, but I had to crop it heavily because I couldn't focus close enough.

And er... Sorry about the dust I guess.

yoshi amiibo by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

yoshi amiibo by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

For comparison, this was a picture I took as months ago. I think I'm getting the hang of this light thing!

2A1A7799 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

ekimneems

Oct 29, 2017
Every morning in the Starbucks parking lot I see this gentlemen, dressed to impress and roller skating - so I decided to strike up a conversation and ask him to take some photos. Interesting guy, glad I did it.

Shot on Contax G1, Zeiss Planar 45/2, Ilford HP5+, self developed and processed

Untitled by ekimneems, on Flickr

Untitled by ekimneems, on Flickr

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
When I got out of college I saw that hey put up the christmas lights around the town hall and fortunally I'm getting the habit of carrying my camera around. I wish I had my 35mm with me, though. I will come back there more more prepared!

IMGL4489 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

IMGL4500 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

In these two photos II just waited until someone was passing through.
praça da prefeitura by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

IMGL4477 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

I like portraits, so I asked a group of girls if I could take their photo and they were happy to comply.
luzes de natal by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

IMGL4498-Editar by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr