• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
I bought the RF 24-105 and went with it to my father's farm during the holiday. The last time I used a lens like this one I didn't like it very much, but now I think it's because I my composition skills were very lousy. I quite enjoyed using this one. Will definitly replace my 35/1.8 as a general lens, at least when I have a lot of available light.

IMGL5432 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

IMGL5508 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

IMGL5698 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

IMGL5556 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

IMGL5555 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

IMGL5413 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

IMGL5530 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

IMGL5640 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

IMGL5580 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

IMGL5644 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

IMGL5699 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

IMGL5601 by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Istanbul, Turkey - October

I bought a X-T30 with 18-55, 12 and a 35 lens and was learning the ropes with this holiday. I sold off my Nikon camera which I got back in 2010 and was really happy with the picture quality, physical controls and it just felt great taking pictures again with a camera. Overall it seemed like a great discreet travel camera that still packed a punch, plus not having to carry around a DSLR around your neck was amazing.

CRcWtBt.jpg
Some Pictures of my recent trip Solo to China, Vietnam and Laos. Most of them were taken on my Sony A5100 and some on my Samsung S10

Train Street, Hanoi
DSC06141 by Tu Chau, on Flickr

Nihn Bihn, Vietnam
20191112_133300 by Tu Chau, on Flickr
Hi all! First post here, been watching the thread but only recently signed up. Just a test post to see if it works or not!

This is the Quiraing on Isle of Skye, Scotland. I'm from the South of England but try to get up to Scotland each year (since starting around 5 years ago), and it always blows my mind. Isle of Skye is a stunner and last month was my first trip in which I didn't get soaked every time I went outside
Love all of these!

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
Another portrait session this afternoon. I wanted to use off-camera flash, but the wind wasn't helping even with some weight on the stand and we were alone, so while the sun was there all I used was natural light, which was very good there, but I really wanted to put my flash to good use, if only to fill a little bit.

I just edited this one. It will take a little while to go through everything, but I will post some here because some of the shots were stuning. This model was amazing.

Dani Melo by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Been a while...
I sold my Canon kit and got the A7R IV, plus the Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 GM. Since then I added the Sony/Zeiss 50mm f/1.4.

Favorite shot so far with the 16-35:
49224261062_cdd041b2e8_h.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43656904@N06/49224261062/in/dateposted/
Took this at Longwood Gardens during their Christmas event thing.

I've mostly just done some testing with the Sony/Zeiss 50mm, but I liked this pattern on a local house, so I snapped this:
49293236053_6086619cad_h.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43656904@N06/49293236053/in/dateposted/

So far I've been enjoying the Sony. Some things are definitely a bit different (menus suck). There are plenty of custom buttons, which is a nice feature. The ergonomics are quite good.

I have to say that doubling resolution does introduce some things. The camera's internal hardware could probably use a little bit of a kick in the ass - reviewing photos (zooming etc.) can be a little laggy, and that's with one of the new Sony Tough cards. On the other hand, it might not be bad at all, considering how my desktop or laptop handle zooming etc. The big thing to consider is that, even with IBIS, you have to be very mindful of shutter speed and camera shake. 60MP will reveal every flaw in your technique. No mercy.

Another portrait session this afternoon...

I quite like your portraits you've been posting. Great subject choice definitely factors in :)

Oct 25, 2017
Been a while...
I sold my Canon kit and got the A7R IV, plus the Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 GM. Since then I added the Sony/Zeiss 50mm f/1.4.

Favorite shot so far with the 16-35:
49224261062_cdd041b2e8_h.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43656904@N06/49224261062/in/dateposted/
Took this at Longwood Gardens during their Christmas event thing.

I've mostly just done some testing with the Sony/Zeiss 50mm, but I liked this pattern on a local house, so I snapped this:
49293236053_6086619cad_h.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43656904@N06/49293236053/in/dateposted/

So far I've been enjoying the Sony. Some things are definitely a bit different (menus suck). There are plenty of custom buttons, which is a nice feature. The ergonomics are quite good.

I have to say that doubling resolution does introduce some things. The camera's internal hardware could probably use a little bit of a kick in the ass - reviewing photos (zooming etc.) can be a little laggy, and that's with one of the new Sony Tough cards. On the other hand, it might not be bad at all, considering how my desktop or laptop handle zooming etc. The big thing to consider is that, even with IBIS, you have to be very mindful of shutter speed and camera shake. 60MP will reveal every flaw in your technique. No mercy.

I quite like your portraits you've been posting. Great subject choice definitely factors in :)
Pretty much once you map everything you tend to need on the regular to a custom button you stop complaining about the menus.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I've found this to mostly be the case. I was annoyed with the ISO button concept of it entering its own "menu". Then I found out if I just set the dial to ISO I can skip a button press/the stupid scrolly menu thing.
Well that's interesting, never thought of doing that, then again I don't even know what dials I even have left for that, exposure comp?

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
Some more pictures from my last session:

IMGL7534-Editar by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

IMGL7522-Editar by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

Thank you! This makes me really happy!

Last edited:

Fuser

Nov 4, 2019
Recently I got into B&W shooting and conversions. Some of these are old shots which I've recently converted, and some are as recent as yesterday.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I don't know if this is the correct place to ask, but anyway.

I'm a Lightroom user and would love to get a better performing system at some point in the near future.
I currently use a i5 6600 with 16GB ram and SSDs for windows and the lr catalogue. I don't want to spend a ton of money for a system that's not noticeable faster.
most important: I don't care too much for export and import speeds. I know that more cores will help there. I do care for a better performance while editing photos and browsing the catalogue though.
Any experiences you would like to share?
Thanks!!!

Oct 25, 2017
Recently I got into B&W shooting and conversions. Some of these are old shots which I've recently converted, and some are as recent as yesterday.

Nothing transforms an image like a good B&W conversion. I had a very brief discussion with a photographer on FB about it and he seemed insulted thinking his poorly edited silhouette would look better in B&W and I opted not to continue.

Fuser

Nov 4, 2019
I don't know if this is the correct place to ask, but anyway.

I'm a Lightroom user and would love to get a better performing system at some point in the near future.
I currently use a i5 6600 with 16GB ram and SSDs for windows and the lr catalogue. I don't want to spend a ton of money for a system that's not noticeable faster.
most important: I don't care too much for export and import speeds. I know that more cores will help there. I do care for a better performance while editing photos and browsing the catalogue though.
Any experiences you would like to share?
Thanks!!!
My laptop has more RAM and a better CPU and lightroom still runs like crap. When I move sliders up or down it takes seconds to respond on the preview image, which is annoying when dealing with minor tweaks.
I've seen it running on Mac's a lot better but not sure if they were just better spec'd, that lightroom is better written on the Mac os or a bit of both.

I split out catalogues so I have a fresh one each year, which apparently can help but not sure how much. Also make sure the backup process runs when you exit lightroom when prompted.

And I agree with b&w, you can get some amazing textures if the lighting is right. Can really enhance a scene.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
My laptop has more RAM and a better CPU and lightroom still runs like crap. When I move sliders up or down it takes seconds to respond on the preview image, which is annoying when dealing with minor tweaks.
I've seen it running on Mac's a lot better but not sure if they were just better spec'd, that lightroom is better written on the Mac os or a bit of both.

I split out catalogues so I have a fresh one each year, which apparently can help but not sure how much. Also make sure the backup process runs when you exit lightroom when prompted.

And I agree with b&w, you can get some amazing textures if the lighting is right. Can really enhance a scene.
Thanks! That's not too promising ...

I have a huge lr catalogue and it's a good idea to start a new one. But I guess that does not affect editing a single image that much. Maybe I should look into other raw software, but that will be a big pain after so many years using LR since version 1.
I recently tried LR on my work MacBook Pro with 8 cores and these insane SSDs. That was a huge difference. Maybe I should save up for an iMac and leave windows behind. In a year or two lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! That's not too promising ...

I have a huge lr catalogue and it's a good idea to start a new one. But I guess that does not affect editing a single image that much. Maybe I should look into other raw software, but that will be a big pain after so many years using LR since version 1.
I recently tried LR on my work MacBook Pro with 8 cores and these insane SSDs. That was a huge difference. Maybe I should save up for an iMac and leave windows behind. In a year or two lol.
The preview catalogue for my LR previews is probably in the triple digit gigs by this point. Should probably delete that folder but I have no idea what that would cause.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually sat down and started to learn how to edit on Capture One. Probably can't use it for crunch time after an event, but I think this definitely handles the RAF's better.

XH010151 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XH010174 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XH010212 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XH010238 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XH010165 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XH010130 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XH010186 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XH010228 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
XH010250 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
What are everyone's photography goals for this coming year? 2019 was a down year for me. I didn't pick up the camera nearly as much as I did in years prior, and my output was pretty similarly lackluster for my own taste. A few highs, but not many photos that I will stick in my lifetime photobook.

I think my goal is just to pick up a camera more, and to try to keep a running list of photo ideas in my head. I used to have a mental collection of photos I wanted to take, and I've drifted away from that lately. Any tips for motivation?

These are spectacular. Well done.

Oct 25, 2017
What are everyone's photography goals for this coming year? 2019 was a down year for me. I didn't pick up the camera nearly as much as I did in years prior, and my output was pretty similarly lackluster for my own taste. A few highs, but not many photos that I will stick in my lifetime photobook.

I think my goal is just to pick up a camera more, and to try to keep a running list of photo ideas in my head. I used to have a mental collection of photos I wanted to take, and I've drifted away from that lately. Any tips for motivation?

These are spectacular. Well done.
I think I'd like to make a book of some of my photographs this year. I already know nobody would ever buy one from me so it's just for personal fun for me I guess.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'd like to make a book of some of my photographs this year. I already know nobody would ever buy one from me so it's just for personal fun for me I guess.

I've thought about doing that before too. Would be a fun project to do regardless of how many people see it/care about it.

If anyone else is interested, I found a 52 week photography challenge on Reddit that I'm going to try to participate in this year: https://www.reddit.com/r/photography/comments/eifkjl/52_week_photography_prompt_challenge/

Seems like it has a good variety.

Oct 25, 2017
I've thought about doing that before too. Would be a fun project to do regardless of how many people see it/care about it.

If anyone else is interested, I found a 52 week photography challenge on Reddit that I'm going to try to participate in this year: https://www.reddit.com/r/photography/comments/eifkjl/52_week_photography_prompt_challenge/

Seems like it has a good variety.
With me it's the matter of choosing what the hell to even put in there. I have thousands of pics to sort through. I'd practically need a third party to make the decisions of what to put in for me.

Oct 25, 2017

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
New to the thread and I have been loving all of the pictures that I have had a quick look at! Amazing work! I really want to get into photography so have a few questions which I am hoping I can get some advice on from this thread...

I currently just take photos on my Pixel 4 XL which has been amazing but I think I have decided to get the Sony A7 III - is this still a good option in 2020? I was going to get the body only and pair it with this lens:

https://www.cameraworld.co.uk/product/tamron-28-75mm-f2-8-di-iii-rxd-sony-e-mount-fit.html - would this be a good combo....?

If I did get these, what would be the best wide angle lens to get on a budget?

Lastly...I currently only have an iPad Pro 11 inch is this suitable to edit photos on properly and if so, which app is best to use? Ideally I don't want to have to fork out for a laptop too but I would consider trading this iPad in and get a MacBook if needed.

Any advice would be helpful!

Fuser

Nov 4, 2019
Fuser those are absolutely gorgeous. I have to say your post processing skills are on point along with photography.
Thank you, very kind :)

I've been doing landscape photography for about four years now, having played with cameras a few years prior including doing a few wedding gigs. To me, landscape photography helps me relax especially working in a full time office environment. If I could do it professionally and still support the family I absolutely would.

I've got loads more images to post just don't want to flood the thread :p

Edit - unfortunately I don't know much about the Sony range other than they are supposed to me pretty damn good. I'm a canon user but Sony have been outstanding for a while now - if I was starting today it would probably be with one of the Sony range. I can't say if that lens is any good either but that focal range is a good starting point. Most of my images are taken around the same length.

Editing on an iPad though..I think you may struggle although Lightroom isn't bad. There may be better mobile alternatives out there mind. Personally using a camera at that level and then processing on a tablet would be very frustrating!

Last edited:

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Thank you, very kind :)

I've been doing landscape photography for about four years now, having played with cameras a few years prior including doing a few wedding gigs. To me, landscape photography helps me relax especially working in a full time office environment. If I could do it professionally and still support the family I absolutely would.

I've got loads more images to post just don't want to flood the thread :p

Edit - unfortunately I don't know much about the Sony range other than they are supposed to me pretty damn good. I'm a canon user but Sony have been outstanding for a while now - if I was starting today it would probably be with one of the Sony range. I can't say if that lens is any good either but that focal range is a good starting point. Most of my images are taken around the same length.

Editing on an iPad though..I think you may struggle although Lightroom isn't bad. There may be better mobile alternatives out there mind. Personally using a camera at that level and then processing on a tablet would be very frustrating!
Thanks for the advice! Yeah I should really consider my work flow before I invest in the camera. It's all so expensive! Ideally there would be a great way to edit on iPad as it is a fairly beefy piece of kit.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
If any of you are into still life, you should study the light painting technique. Just shot this of my bottle of Chanel 'Sycomore'.

The crazy thing is just how simple it is. All you need is a tripod and off camera lighting. You then drag the light source across the scene or subject any way you want with a long shutter speed (the shutter speed length determined by how long you need to paint the scene or subject).

Oct 25, 2017

Fuser

Nov 4, 2019
Some macro shots that I took in 2019, mixture of handheld and tripod. All natural light and all subjects alive and unharmed! All also taken on my trusty 100mm f/2.8 Canon Macro.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
This is my first entry in the C. London 52 Week Challenge:

The theme of the first week is "Goals".

My main hobby is photography, and last year it spent a lot of time in the background due to a lot major life things. My father had a major health crisis early in the year, and a series of my own health issues sparked in seeming response to that health crisis. Those things really took their toll on my mental health, and I've struggled a lot with it ever since. A lot of those experiences tied themselves to me like weights, and always stopped me from being at my best. In contrast, a lot of really great things happened last year too, I came to know the woman that I love very well. We moved in together. We've spent a lot of time together. I think we've both grown a lot together.

She suggested that I start journaling-- To write down the things that I struggle with. Write down the things I'm grateful for. Write down the things that are important to me. I want to use this journal to let go of some things, and to appreciate others, and have a place where I am not afraid to express those things.

My photography goals and my mental health goals are all part of the same coin. This year, I want to feel free to try new things and not be too tied town to the idea of what I am good or bad at. I want to feel more open to being creative, I want to be less selective about what I share, and I want to spend less time under the weight of being perfect, or better than the last shot.

To that goal, I scanned the first pages of my new journal and the phrase "I want to be happy" jumped out at me. I'm not comfortable sharing everything that I wrote, but I wanted to find a way to share that one phrase, so here it is:

Week 1 - Goals
by Tyler Jacobs, on Flickr

... I also celebrated my birthday this weekend and had a nice dinner with my girlfriend overlooking the city:

Signature Lounge
by Tyler Jacobs, on Flickr

zabora

Apr 11, 2019
Wow, amazing photography in this thread, feel kind of humbled and I hope I can improve my own skills. I've just recently got back into it, and the weather has been really great so I'm trying to go out for some long walks with my camera.

49353396831_c95fcc8841_k.jpg

49352947898_cf983da517_k.jpg

49335465948_5bd5ddef42_k.jpg

49291270958_a0c11db09e_k.jpg

49353400471_3dbb49a54e_k.jpg