• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
sorry to go a bit offtopic but flickr's still the best choice for image uploading? i guess everyone's moved to insta really but it's just not fit for purpose in terms of high res photos and the image ratio stuff.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
My only problem with this shot is once you've seen it, you've seen it a thousand times. I prefer the cloud usage in your other shots though.
Of yeah, I think it sucks. This is totally ironic. It's literally the most generic shot you can imagine. Along with the pylon long exposure, although I do like the waterfront long exposures for my own usage. I still have to do more at night time.

Oct 25, 2017
Of yeah, I think it sucks. This is totally ironic. It's literally the most generic shot you can imagine. Along with the pylon long exposure, although I do like the waterfront long exposures for my own usage. I still have to do more at night time.
I think that might be why I do more people and detail shots, though I love a good landscape. You really just have to eyeball things differently.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Landscapes are relaxing for me, people are tough, I don't have the patience to concentrate for people all the time, so switch it up.

This dude got scared and left. And I felt bad.

DSCF1329 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF1277 by TIKI, on Flickr

This is the alleyway...

DSCF1188 by TIKI, on Flickr

And she was pacing back and forth talking to someone....what I really liked was the monotone backdrop, and was waiting for the right character:

DSCF1124 by TIKI, on Flickr

But yeah all that takes patience. Sometimes I don't have it.

Oct 25, 2017
Landscapes are relaxing for me, people are tough, I don't have the patience to concentrate for people all the time, so switch it up.

This dude got scared and left. And I felt bad.

DSCF1329 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF1277 by TIKI, on Flickr

This is the alleyway...

DSCF1188 by TIKI, on Flickr

And she was pacing back and forth talking to someone....what I really liked was the monotone backdrop, and was waiting for the right character:

DSCF1124 by TIKI, on Flickr

But yeah all that takes patience. Sometimes I don't have it.
Same here on the patience front. I most try to switch up what I'm doing from time to time...hence my more frequent park and animal postings, which is stuff that I'm starting to find relaxing.

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
8NoRi7e.jpg

XZrIkXC.jpg

R9dK3Tw.jpg

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
So, yesterday I had a photoshoot with, I kid you not, must have been the prettiest woman I have ever seen in real life.

Dayane by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

Dayane in the rain by Renato Custódio Pereira, no Flickr

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
Wow she is stunning. You did her justice too. I like the added visual interest in the shot wheres she's stooping. A reason why pleasant bokeh rendering is important.

Thank you! And yeah, that shot would work as good with ugly bokeh. By the way, It started raining in the middle of the shoot, so I remembered that a friend fdid forget her umbrella on my car. This got us some really interesting shots!

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Promised myself I would take some star shots during the new moon. Here's one of them of my home town (Worcester, Ma)

Was shot with a 28mm lens on Full Frame @ 20s/f2.8/ISO100 for the upper half. The bottom side was @ 5s. Blended together in Photoshop.

Last edited:

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
One of Brookly's best nightclubs - The House of Yes:
DSCF1554 by TIKI, on Flickr

Random street art in Bushwick by artists within Bushwick Collective:
DSCF1568 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF1585 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF1591 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF1622 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF1639 by TIKI, on Flickr

Random street photography in Bushwick:
DSCF1753 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF1644_1 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF1628 by TIKI, on Flickr

I LOVE this sign!
DSCF1615 by TIKI, on Flickr

DSCF1571 by TIKI, on Flickr

Bokeh monster:
DSCF1659 by TIKI, on Flickr

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Glenbower Colours
49585981637_7eedcd0f5f_k.jpg

A little starburst peeking around a tree in Glenbower Woods. Glenbower is one of the few remaining ancient forests in Ireland, and belonged to the same family, the de Cappell's, for over seven centuries, from 1182 to 1933. It's nothing spectacular but I just loved the colours.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Really loving the street art ones! I should also snap some art in my city, because there are amazing stuff displayed left and right!
Thanks, Bushwick is amazing for this sort of stuff. You absolutely should. IIRC you shoot Sony, you should get the 24/1.4. Fuji's 16/1.4 is my favorite, and a badass lens.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Finally snowed a lot yesterday so it gives me a chance to try out my new lens and camera (Sigma 30mm f1.4, Sony A6400).

DSC09945-01-01 by Carl Sim, on Flickr

DSC09990-01 by Carl Sim, on Flickr

The real time eye tracking is pretty clutch but really struggling yesterday with the snow and the branches of the plant.

Also, the Sigma 30mm 1.4 (45mm full-frame equivalent) is pretty hard to take photos with. I currently like my Sony 50mm f1.8 (~75mm full-frame equivalent) since I'm a huge sucker for bokeh.

Anyone have tips with this focal length and portraits? I guess it's more for environmental portraits?

hachikoma

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Finally snowed a lot yesterday so it gives me a chance to try out my new lens and camera (Sigma 30mm f1.4, Sony A6400).

The real time eye tracking is pretty clutch but really struggling yesterday with the snow and the branches of the plant.

Also, the Sigma 30mm 1.4 (45mm full-frame equivalent) is pretty hard to take photos with. I currently like my Sony 50mm f1.8 (~75mm full-frame equivalent) since I'm a huge sucker for bokeh.

Anyone have tips with this focal length and portraits? I guess it's more for environmental portraits?

I think your first image is really strong, but your second one it doesn't feel like you thought the framing and cropping through as intentionally. 45mm FFE is pretty close to normal, as you noted, and I do think it's more challenging to do great portraits around 50mm. Because you don't get the increased interest and touchstone templates (like environmental for wide and compressed with bokeh for tele) that naturally comed along for the ride with less common focal lengths, you have to pay a lot more attention to fundamentals.

In your second photo, the shapes and shades behind her head feel more engaging to me than her torso/purse and the less pleasing background lower down. I wonder if getting a little closer, shooting landscape, and capturing only her shoulders/head would have not only framed her really nice expression a little better, but let you keep the really interesting snow texture while pushing the harsher transition lines between the sculpture and the white background into a little softer focus. I also wonder if it might have been a neat alternate angle to scoot a bit to the right and up a little higher to get her head right in that donut hole, but this could also have wound up looking really stupid!

Overall I just think that shooting around 50mm you have to plan further ahead about what your final image is going to look like - try taking a little more time in between shots and maybe even chimping your camera's screen more than usual? The creativity with this focal length relies a lot more on composition and focus, and it's definitely a slightly different mindset than using a wide or tele, where you often already have a default cool "look" baked in to your shoot.

Last edited:

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I found a good deal on an open box Canon Rebel SL2 (200D) and it comes with a kit lens (18-55 f/4.0 - 5.6). Very basic lens and so far I'm just getting used to taking pictures in manual and playing around with the settings. I think there's a few lens I'm looking into if I did decide to get another one because I feel like this might be a nice all purpose lens, but would like a few more dedicated ones.

What lens does everyone here get the most use of? Or do people find themselves jumping from on to another each day? (I don't have a dedicated subject, so while I would like a portait lens, I also don't want to rule out a smaller focal length because I also like to hike.)

(I'm a total amateur jumping in though)

Oct 25, 2017
I actually own a Nikon, but yeah I defo should buy more lenses, whenever I'll have enough money to do so :D
They're probably going to bury me in a coffin made out of lens boxes at the rate I'm going.
I found a good deal on an open box Canon Rebel SL2 (200D) and it comes with a kit lens (18-55 f/4.0 - 5.6). Very basic lens and so far I'm just getting used to taking pictures in manual and playing around with the settings. I think there's a few lens I'm looking into if I did decide to get another one because I feel like this might be a nice all purpose lens, but would like a few more dedicated ones.

What lens does everyone here get the most use of? Or do people find themselves jumping from on to another each day? (I don't have a dedicated subject, so while I would like a portait lens, I also don't want to rule out a smaller focal length because I also like to hike.)

What do you intend on photographing? I could list some things, but I highly doubt you'd know what to even do with them. Just experiment with the kit lens for a bit, then start seeing what it is that you'd like to photograph better and then ask questions from there. I'm a bit of an all rounder...on three different camera mounts so I wouldn't recommend going down that rabbit hole if you value you bank account.

hachikoma

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

just take some time to figure out what your most used focal lengths on your zoom lens are and let that help guide your next pickup. also think about what kind of shots you want to take the most, e.g. if you like being the person in your friend group with the best photos of a night out, a fast wide lens is great - my sony 24 1.4 is my favorite lens. if you appreciate headshots, look at primes in the 85mm-135mm range.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017

There is a Yongnuo 35mm F1.4 for Canon EFS, which has autofocus, its cheap but I have no idea about this brand.

If possible, shell out for the Canon 35mm F2 for $550 (possibly a lot of excellent used copies for FAR less). The F numbers are apertures, which are openings. The smaller the number, the bigger the opening, the more light is allowed in, which means you can keep a high shutter speed at lesser light to freeze subjects, while using lower ISO settings to keep noise at minimum. Even if the Canon is a "slower" lens, it's of a very high quality and F2 is still very fast. The 35mm is the field of view, which for your APSC Rebel will become closer to 50mm. This is a standard view everyone likes, good for everyday photos, portraits as well as travel and landscape.

I personally prefer much wider lengths, but wider lenses are more expensive, as well as tougher to learn. 50mm equivalent is a good beginner lens.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
They're probably going to bury me in a coffin made out of lens boxes at the rate I'm going.

What do you intend on photographing? I could list some things, but I highly doubt you'd know what to even do with them. Just experiment with the kit lens for a bit, then start seeing what it is that you'd like to photograph better and then ask questions from there. I'm a bit of an all rounder...on three different camera mounts so I wouldn't recommend going down that rabbit hole if you value you bank account.

I'm currently bouncing between getting a Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens or getting something lower than my 18-55. The kit lens I have I actually really like, because it's a giant step up from my old iPhone and it does go to 55mm. I think the biggest factor in that is I like the focal length, but the shallow depth of field I would get with the 1.8 vs the 5.6 on my kit lens is what's making me most interesting in buying it (the bokeh).

It's either that, or a close second of getting a 10-18mm lens to cover a focal length I don't currently have, something to take along when I hike or when I'm out in the nature. I'm not ready to be dropping 400+ on lens just yet, but the two I mentioned are $129.99 and $287.99 respectively. I'm going to wait a few months, and use the kit lens on a few hikes and see how it fares.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently bouncing between getting a Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens or getting something lower than my 18-55. The kit lens I have I actually really like, because it's a giant step up from my old iPhone and it does go to 55mm. I think the biggest factor in that is I like the focal length, but the shallow depth of field I would get with the 1.8 vs the 5.6 on my kit lens is what's making me most interesting in buying it (the bokeh).

It's either that, or a close second of getting a 10-18mm lens to cover a focal length I don't currently have, something to take along when I hike or when I'm out in the nature. I'm not ready to be dropping 400+ on lens just yet, but the two I mentioned are $129.99 and $287.99 respectively. I'm going to wait a few months, and use the kit lens on a few hikes and see how it fares.
You think $400 is expensive?
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

hachikoma

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
i already have the sony 24/1.4 gm and i need people to talk me out of the new 20/1.8 g. what is wrong with meeeeeee

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017

In that case definitely go for the 50 1.8, that's one of the best deals there is. Just know it'll actually be a 75mm which is pretty long for day to day stuff.

I'm wondering if I should post some photos in "THAT THREAD" because everyone is like, "Hey just ask for consent."

If you always ask for consent, how are you capturing scenes?