• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
yd7weWg.jpg

Was bored so I added the skies.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Picked up the Sony 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3...
49702749791_8f96e3ac0b.jpg

My Sony kit is just about complete. I might add an 85mm prime at some point, but for now I need to focus on destinations etc.

In testing I did get this little fun shot. It's warming up, and the night herons are coming back...

49702128668_026ddc4cf1_h.jpg

A group of them were sleeping in a tree. Just look at that grumpy fuck.

...look...

TywEqJG.jpg

"heh hehhuehuehueehuehue"

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up the Sony 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3...
49702749791_8f96e3ac0b.jpg

My Sony kit is just about complete. I might add an 85mm prime at some point, but for now I need to focus on destinations etc.

In testing I did get this little fun shot. It's warming up, and the night herons are coming back...

49702128668_026ddc4cf1_h.jpg

A group of them were sleeping in a tree. Just look at that grumpy fuck.

...look...

TywEqJG.jpg

"heh hehhuehuehueehuehue"
Nice pick up, that's probably my next year lens. I got the Nikon 200-500 to bide my time.

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
I noticed a lot of local photographers taking photos of the empty city streets is anyone here doing that?

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I've been trying to take photos as a part of the 52 Week Challenge as regularly as I can, but the shelter in place has made it difficult at times. I haven't posted any in awhile so here are a few I like a lot.

Lights and Layers
by Tyler Jacobs, on Flickr

Sharpness

Grainy Chicago

Stand In
Have to get creative when the challenge is street photography and the world is (rightfully) inside their homes.

I go on walks at night because nobody else is typically out, but I have tried to avoid being too driven by my camera. No unnecessary risks.

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
I want to but i don't want to get in trouble since we're not supposed to be outside
I have basically just been keeping my ass inside. I also have found the desolate city shots a bit on the boring side as well.
Same here but only if it's during curfew. There's still a lot of people out but most business are closed. During the sunrise the city looks beautiful but I rather not risk this with my existing breathing problems.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Took a 7 mile walk today. I needed it. Brought the 200-600 with me and of course only took any shots at the spot I knew there was something to shoot.

More a quality/sharpness test than anything - I have so many pictures of these fuckings birds I almost want to throw up:
49762273976_7a659a614d_h.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43656904@N06/49762273976/in/photostream/

I probably should have shot wide open at f/6.3 to blue the background more, but oh well. That's for another time.

This shot I did kind of like because I have never actually gotten a shot of them building a nest. The angle, conditions, etc. were horrible but I'm pushing the sensor a little:
49761742558_bc9ec96b76_h.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43656904@N06/49761742558/in/photostream/

HOW IN THE MOTHERFUCKING FUCK DO YOU PRODUCE A FUCKING 26 FUCKING KB IMAGE IN MOTHERFUCKING GOD DAMN 2020?

Way to kill the thread :)

(What are you talking about?)

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
My job asks me to edit a video together using some images and the majority of what I get sent are 300kb and below jpegs.

You know. Ya know...

Some people out there enjoy the whole aspect of over-blurred, distorted semi-shitty images shot on run-of-the-mill film, making the whole thing look like it was photographed while sitting on a toilet or some shit. Not sure what else to say, but there it is. (I've been drinking.)

Oct 25, 2017
You know. Ya know...

Some people out there enjoy the whole aspect of over-blurred, distorted semi-shitty images shot on run-of-the-mill film, making the whole thing look like it was photographed while sitting on a toilet or some shit. Not sure what else to say, but there it is. (I've been drinking.)
I'd almost prefer risking getting Corona and getting the footage/images myself than just getting crap handed to me to edit with. Even with phone camera tech being evolved as it is...you still get sent crap.

Wikzo

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
I recently created a small photo portfolio website (I enjoy taking photos of animals, street, and generally just experimenting with different stuff). Anyone care to give me some feedback? :)

Picked up an Fujifilm X100V just before we all went into lockdown. Wonderful camera, I'm so keen to get back out there with it.
Wow, those are some amazing shots! I especially like the first one where the person's legs frame the street!

How did you get the red umbrella to light up like that?

Deleted member 18847

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I recently created a small photo portfolio website (I enjoy taking photos of animals, street, and generally just experimenting with different stuff). Anyone care to give me some feedback? :)

Wow, those are some amazing shots! I especially like the first one where the person's legs frame the street!

How did you get the red umbrella to light up like that?
Really nice work there, great documentary style. I particularly like the wedding couple, do you do wedding photography?

Thank you. The umbrella was just the from natural light coming down the stairs from outside.

Wikzo

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Really nice work there, great documentary style. I particularly like the wedding couple, do you do wedding photography?

Thank you. The umbrella was just the from natural light coming down the stairs from outside.
Thank you. I am still trying to figure out what I like to photograph, hence the wide array of different subjects. I haven't done any wedding photography; that particular shot was just a couple that I stumbled upon at the city hall in Copenhagen :)

The reason I asked about the umbrella is that it looks quite bright compared to the stairs, so I was wondering if you had enhanced it in post. Btw, when I looked at it yesterday, F.lux was enabled, so it was bright red and not pink. It looked very cool :)

Deleted member 18847

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you. I am still trying to figure out what I like to photograph, hence the wide array of different subjects. I haven't done any wedding photography; that particular shot was just a couple that I stumbled upon at the city hall in Copenhagen :)

The reason I asked about the umbrella is that it looks quite bright compared to the stairs, so I was wondering if you had enhanced it in post. Btw, when I looked at it yesterday, F.lux was enabled, so it was bright red and not pink. It looked very cool :)

I wish it was red :). That photo is actually an untouched jpeg straight out of the camera. I used the in-camera Provia preset with shadows and highlights at +2

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda regretting the A6400 over the A6600 cause of the IBIS. I know it's not much but really helps with these Sigma primes, I think. Especially video.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda regretting the A6400 over the A6600 cause of the IBIS. I know it's not much but really helps with these Sigma primes, I think. Especially video.
Don't let a older "real photographer" catch you saying this. I mentioned liking IBIS and they broke my balls for over a day on a FB group over it. A6600 also has the better battery. Just see what used deals exist and trade in the 6400 to make up the difference.

Deleted member 18847

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was watching comparison videos and saying how the IBIS doesnt do much (which honestly doesnt look like that much if you're walking and stuff) but the micro shakes is really killer to some videos even when using it with a gimbal

I rarely shoot video, but I have appreciated stabilisation on a couple of my lenses that have it. That said, I'm not shooting at shutter speeds low enough to take advantage of it that often.

Deleted member 18847

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
I picked up a hardware calibrator for my monitors. I've wanted one for years, but back in the day the were a bit much ($400+). Basically, you could spend as much or more on one as a monitor itself. Well, I've been looking at buying a new monitor (which hasn't quite happened), and it seemed like most in-depth reviews that dealt with color performance all basically said the same thing - you have to calibrate them. I've dicked around with the software ones in Mac OS X back in the day, or Windows now, and I just never was quite satisfied.
So I decided that since I haven't really gone anywhere for weeks I'd go ahead and get a calibrator. I went with the SpyderX Pro, which before tax/shipping/whatever is ~$170. What a difference! I kept my computer in night mode non-stop because of the harsh colors. It's so much better now - I can use my monitor without it and not feel like my eyes are being stabbed. The colors look great, and the white point feels right. I used it on my old Asus PLS panel monitor and my Lenovo.

Thanks!

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I picked up a hardware calibrator for my monitors. I've wanted one for years, but back in the day the were a bit much ($400+). Basically, you could spend as much or more on one as a monitor itself. Well, I've been looking at buying a new monitor (which hasn't quite happened), and it seemed like most in-depth reviews that dealt with color performance all basically said the same thing - you have to calibrate them. I've dicked around with the software ones in Mac OS X back in the day, or Windows now, and I just never was quite satisfied.
So I decided that since I haven't really gone anywhere for weeks I'd go ahead and get a calibrator. I went with the SpyderX Pro, which before tax/shipping/whatever is ~$170. What a difference! I kept my computer in night mode non-stop because of the harsh colors. It's so much better now - I can use my monitor without it and not feel like my eyes are being stabbed. The colors look great, and the white point feels right. I used it on my old Asus PLS panel monitor and my Lenovo.

Thanks!

I need to buy a new monitor as well, I am waiting for the Asus Predator XB273U, for gaming as well as editing. But I do wanna look into a calibrator as well, was it easy to use?

Going through old photos:
49807572982_135a6cc193_b.jpg

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
I need to buy a new monitor as well, I am waiting for the Asus Predator XB273U, for gaming as well as editing. But I do wanna look into a calibrator as well, was it easy to use?

I'll have to take a look at that monitor...(I am looking at the LG UltraGear 27" 144hz [165hz capable] nano IPS blah blah whatever).
Yeah, it's easy. If you're the type, you can also keep the sensor plugged in and have the helper software adjust the profile on the fly based on the room's ambient conditions. My room conditions don't change that much, and besides dynamic switching like that is stuff I don't trust on basically anything, so I opted to leave that off.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
...also...old images? I normally don't do that. Here's one from a little over seven years ago when I was in San Francisco:

5451895635_7a30c842b9_h.jpg

Taken with Canon 50D, EF24-70mm f/2.8 L (gen 1) @ 70mm (so ~112mm full-frame equivalent), 1/125, ISO 640, f/7.1...no, my settings don't make sense. I was a child.