• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I assume there is at least a small batch of people here who are interested in physical games for Switch. The system is in a unique position because it's very popular, portable, and also allows small print runs to be made for its retail releases. Without prior knowledge of the companies plans for reprints, stock allocations, etc, it's difficult to tell just which may become or are already hard to find since most of these games never chart in sales charts. You have more obvious stuff such as Limited Run Games releases or NISA store releases, but there are also oddball ones such as Retro City Rampage that only released on the Vblank store and has been sold out for quite some time. My hope with this topic is to compile a list of stores in the main topic to watch out for, but also have discussion between users on new releases (or variants such as alternate covers/limited editions) they think might become tricky to find, existing releases that are or becoming hard to find, etc. New stores pop up selling limited releases pretty routinely these days, I know i'm missing some Vita games that I simply missed due to not knowing about it until well after the fact. For now i'll keep the OP fairly trim to see if there is any demand, but will continue to update the main body if desired.

Another note is a trend from developers like Nicalis to publish small time Switch games and do 'first run' releases with trinkets and such. I may make a separate section for this but, hopefully I could get some help with that since there are a good bit. I will also only be focusing on US variations in this topic body, but you can post whatever you like.

Stores

Limited Run Games (These are all sold out unless a note is placed to the side, most of these have a collector edition variation as well)

Thimbleweed Park
Mercenary Kings
Flinthook
Pixeljunk Monsters 2
Saturday Morning Rpg
Slime-San
Kingdom New Lands
Night Trap
Thumper
Oxenfree
West of Loathing
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Yooka-Laylee (can also be bought at Best Buy under the LRG label)
Furi: Definitive Edition
Golf Story (can also be bought at Best Buy under the LRG label)
Broken Age
Outlast
Outlast 2
Battle Chef Brigade Deluxe
Cosmic Star Heroine
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Windjammers
Celeste

Gamestop (Some of these are in stock, some are sold out, some may never return, others could be reprinted if GS demanded, always a risk)

Has Been Heroes (also has 2 variations)
Bendy and the Ink Machine (seems to be sold out, good luck!)
Gear Club Unlimited
Party Planet
Toki Retrollector Edition
Katamari Damacy Reroll
Wild Guns Reloaded (not exclusive but it might as well have been)

Vblank

Retro City Rampage (sold out)
Shakedown Hawaii (most likely the next one they sell anyways)

NISA Store (I don't believe any of their releases are exclusive yet, just the collector versions. With that said the Vita did get exclusives releases on this site)

Square-Enix Store

Lost Sphear (Still in stock, but exclusive here)

Fangamer

Undertale (Limited edition is sold out, the normal edition can be bought at Best Buy for now)

Bandai-Namco Store

Tales of Vesperia (LE version is sold out, normal is broadly released)

Examples

Here are some initial examples of tricky games that from my perspective got pretty low print releases or simply have become tougher to find.

Atari Flashback Collections

Not sure what the deal with this one is, it had a release in some stores but seems like it was pretty low print. It was due to a warning here actually that I found my copy at Target. If you care i'd look soon just in case.

large.jpg

Toki Retrollector Edtion

To my knowledge the only release of this game physically was at Gamestop. I had my own fun because I ordered it in store and the only one they had left was gutted and missing pieces. Right now you can still find some stores that have it, and the online site also has it, but it looks to be trending as a more tricky one to find and prices on eBay are already demanding well over retail price.

Toki-Retrollector-Edition-Unboxing.jpg

Katamari Damacy Reroll

This one came and went almost immediately, it is unknown if they will reprint at this time.

Katamari-Damacy-Reroll-6-1024x576.jpg

Wild Guns Reloaded

I believe this one released in various stores initially such as Amazon and Walmart, but it seemed like they basically got no copies and only Gamestop had any remaining. New copies seem hard to come by these days.

wild-guns-reloaded-review-switch-2.jpg

Roller Coaster Tycoon

This one is kind of a mystery to me at the moment. Right now I can't find any evidence this game ever released anywhere.. Aside Target. It also seems like their print run was quite small, we did manage to find one and have it so I know it exist at least.

roller-coaster-tycoon-adventures.jpg

Retro City Rampage

This one only released on the Vblank website in both a normal and limited variant. It has been sold out for some time now and is escalating in price.

retro-city-rampage-dx-nintendo-switch-1280x720.jpg

Aqua Moto Racing Utopia

So this one i'm not sure if it's really hard to find, it's pretty easy to get on eBay cheaply anyways, but I can't find it listed on many retailer sites.

509317-header.jpg

Variants

More to be added later

Tales of Vesperia LE (sold out)

3oDi9nn.jpg

Atelier Lydie & Suelle: Limited Edition: Sold Out

Atelier-Lydie-Suelle-Limited-Edition-Nintendo-Switch-1024x576.jpg

Binding of Isaac+ (First print edition)

Currently growing in price and not really sold anywhere.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
goldenpp73

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I have a sealed copy of Has Been Heroes that I got for 5 or 10 bucks, didnt know it was out of print :o

It likely isn't since Gamestop managed that one, but it's one to keep an eye on since it's exclusive to their store entirely. That list was mostly just listing games you can only get at that site.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
There's also another site called superraregames that does limited prints. Playasia also has some smaller prints exclusive to that retailer.

Many of the games in the US that are exclusive to a specific store is not so in most parts of Europe at the very least.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I had no idea Katamari was GS Exclusive. I slept on it and now it's sold out everywhere near me :(

I would at least call a store or two if you're interested. The website told me it was sold out everywhere around me but when I went to a store, there were several copies behind the counter.

GodzillaDB

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I believe we have a little bit of crossover with several Reset threads that are already dedicated to limited /niche physical prints. Although they might not be focused exclusively on the Switch, I know Dancrane212 has a general discussion for the topic and I help operate the thread for Limited Run Games in the 'hangout' section. We even have a Discord server devoted entirely to small game prints with bot notifications for release dates when applicable. Invite hidden through 'reply.' Just thought I'd share!

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didnt know afterbirth + had any value. My copy isnt sealed but I still have all the stickers and manual in mint condition.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finally found Rollercoaster Tycoon at a Target after looking around for about a week. Definitely not opening this one.

MulderYuffie

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this thread gonna keep a close eye on it! Didn't know Katamari was a gamestop exclusive and sold out glad I got it.

Bii

Oct 25, 2017
I finally found Rollercoaster Tycoon at a Target after looking around for about a week. Definitely not opening this one.

There's a Target 45 mins away from where I am that has it in stock. Not sure if I really want to go out of my way to get it. Haha

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a Target 45 mins away from where I am that has it in stock. Not sure if I really want to go out of my way to get it. Haha

If it's Cherry Hill, NJ, don't bother. :)
I looked high and low there, but it was nowhere to be found. It popped back up at another Target nearby me, probably via a return, so I ran over.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
FYI, for those that might have missed out on Katamari Damacy like I did, a Japanese physical copy can be had on Amazon Japan for about $25 + shipping. The physical edition comes with English language support. Also, they have (at least to where I am) the fastest shipping you can possibly imagine from an overseas company. Granted, you'll have to wait a couple weeks for them to get stock in it seems, but when they actually ship it you should get it super quick. It even comes with stickers: https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B07HS1ZXC7

AoY5aWA.jpg

O7FPghT.jpg

Last edited:

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so mad I didn't think to buy multiple copies of Katamari. One to play and one to leave sealed. I never thought it'd be THAT limited. I thought it'd be like Secret of Mana PS4 last year.

ConanEdogawa

Oct 31, 2017
I'm so mad I didn't think to buy multiple copies of Katamari. One to play and one to leave sealed. I never thought it'd be THAT limited. I thought it'd be like Secret of Mana PS4 last year.
I'm guessing more copies will be available soon. I don't see why GS wouldn't reprint it.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the deal with Gear Club Unlimited? I saw there's a sequel now. Are they both low print run?

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Glad I got the first print of Isaac. Knew that would be impossible to find so jumped on it the moment I saw it on sale and with GCU 2 years ago.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017

Yeah I was wondering if GS or LRG will make more Katamari physical copies soon. I missed out on this being only available at GS, which is crummy as I haven't set foot in one in eons.

MrFortyFive

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't see it posted anywhere in the thread so I thought it might be worth mentioning that the Lost Sphear physical is exclusive to the SE store.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't see it posted anywhere in the thread so I thought it might be worth mentioning that the Lost Sphear physical is exclusive to the SE store.

Good one. I made sure to preorder this last year not knowing what kind of run it'd get, but I think you can still order it.

I'd never even heard of Aqua Moto, but there's an eBay seller who's selling that and some shit party game for $10 total. It says he's sold almost 5,000, so the print run isn't THAT small.

Oct 27, 2017
Op you might want to add bendy and the ink machine to the GameStop list. I can't find that fucking game anywhere for any system but Switch seems the hardest to find

Also didn't has been heroes have two different prints?

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
Interestingly Has Been Heroes actually has 2 different releases at gamestop. One which was released prior to the expansion content and has an orange cover pictured below:

Has-Been-Heroes-Nintendo-Switch-2017-Complete-Tested-CIB.jpg

And one which was released after with a purple cover (I own this one).

Has-Been-Heroes-GameStop-Exclusive-Nintendo-Switch-2017.jpg

I'm away from my home at the moment but can check if the cartridge is actually any different tonight. The back of the box mentions the expanded content, but I'm unclear if that means it is present on the cartridge or if it;'s solely a labeling difference and you still download that content off the internet.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Might be worth adding Undertale, as that was released by Fangamer and the standard edition also was stocked at Best Buy in a similar manner to some new Switch LRG games.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
goldenpp73 In addition to Yooka-Laylee on Switch, Golf Story has been available at my Best Buy physically for a few weeks as well.

OP
OP
goldenpp73

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
What's the deal with Gear Club Unlimited? I saw there's a sequel now. Are they both low print run?

I don't think they have low print runs, just exclusive.

Good call, I have it but forgot about it. Added!

Is that Aqua Moto game any good?

It seems like it's a decent kind of game in a low budget sense. Worth a low price (I paid 10 bucks on eBay for a US copy)

Op you might want to add bendy and the ink machine to the GameStop list. I can't find that fucking game anywhere for any system but Switch seems the hardest to find.

Added, and it does indeed seem to be sold out.

Interestingly Has Been Heroes actually has 2 different releases at gamestop. One which was released prior to the expansion content and has an orange cover pictured below:

Has-Been-Heroes-Nintendo-Switch-2017-Complete-Tested-CIB.jpg

And one which was released after with a purple cover (I own this one).

Has-Been-Heroes-GameStop-Exclusive-Nintendo-Switch-2017.jpg

I'm away from my home at the moment but can check if the cartridge is actually any different tonight. The back of the box mentions the expanded content, but I'm unclear if that means it is present on the cartridge or if it;'s solely a labeling difference and you still download that content off the internet.

I'd like to know if the cart is different myself. Might motivate me to snag it.

Might be worth adding Undertale, as that was released by Fangamer and the standard edition also was stocked at Best Buy in a similar manner to some new Switch LRG games.

Not only did I not know but now i'm sad since I bought it from BB. Ah well, added!

goldenpp73 In addition to Yooka-Laylee on Switch, Golf Story has been available at my Best Buy physically for a few weeks as well.

Updated.[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
goldenpp73

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I have the pre-DLC Has Been Heroes and Launch Edition Binding of Isaac, are they actually worth anything?

I don't think Has Been Heroes will become valuable since it's still in print but, maybe one day far from now. Binding is starting to climb in value, but it's important to note that truly expensive hikes usually take many years to happen, mostly when they are truly hard to find and the market becomes aware of them.

OP
OP
goldenpp73

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Based on this thread I found on another forum it doesn't sound like it has the content included on the cart. I'll check my sticker compared to the pictured one above and check if the printed numbers match up (is that the best way to do so?) and that the label hasn't changed though.

Not sure, i'm not an expert on Switch carts that's for sure. Part of my motivation on this topic was to learn too, but i'm willing to do some leg work for it :P

Also unrelated but I took a snapshot of some random more interesting stuff I had laying over here. Pardon the lighting and mess, still moving into a new house.

60YMt43T4MxPhoKeMQ0ua1IINnNEnCqaQd0YlFpXF3lj45qqsiJVO6WE7mzTDriLi9Bh4dbeUCR6SlkAlG6tVsSShYjkx-hiQe313W1ISdKKaoDdCrTkmQNwsDv7FvOHJekr2Gz3WlDx_DdanznOVj3EbI4NT9jQgRlX5iqwFnmu3ya4Utr-5dooKpABlsCdjglo6MHQwOmkzDYTIqML3g6HlU_ubn0gGyUgIigPr-YWsHSDqqdNjZS3PS1pTz3J45mqxx8TiQoL_cyMry6zVVRfTD2ucimvMDXBqAOVULcaw3DGhTaA7pZmPtA8CJLA6Xwdz_KKNrjryBtI60bo1cr4rI7XBvSFYMFVw979SUEXtSbUOEKuk8whqcbKf3RsheXBM-FgVv_Eezb5c9kJlrM81EebwU796QDri2Awoqq6ayP0nTzZFy3zEHYulCkqRwPbC6E9GN07LiJArHw1WkaTfMC7pWuXn364muUSC-C7mffa-O0pU_dUAmZiV8catjfIHcu1IOsONXUBeBcyXcM497ztQrpPck21gvmFOBX6LqakVKE5UQuVofgIlOIeL2r68JV7501N_4XZ1S0tilMmugJgJa-p5M2aFP1u-pY8NceLq8VZUk4OjQJ4DmPCBM2QfV3kLyaDquny-0ZAcadq=w1581-h889-no

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice, you tracked down Rollercoaster, too.

Op you might want to add bendy and the ink machine to the GameStop list. I can't find that fucking game anywhere for any system but Switch seems the hardest to find

I'd be shocked if it didn't get a re-print eventually. Both GS and Target are filled with toys for whatever the hell it is.

Last edited:

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
there's a copy of Roller coaster Tycoon Adventures at a target near me and I'm so tempted to pick it up cause it seems to be super rare. Not sure I'd even play it though.

Also really wonder if No More Heroes is going to be hard to track down soon or not.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Wasnt aware of Roller Coaster Tycoon releasing. Unfortunately I don't live near any Targets so guess that's one that I will miss out on unless it gets a reprint.

Nice thread though. Will definitely watch and contribute when I can. Was already aware of most of these, but didn't realize anyone else was interested in most of these titles.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Do we know if the Dragon's Dogma physical release in Japan will have English as an option?

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
Just checked and purple box HBH cartridge looks exactly the same as the orange box one pictured above so it's most likely only a boxart difference.