• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the game is now available as part of the SNES app for NSO subscribers.

the game isn't localized, but there's nothing hard to figure out in the menus.

2020092318180700-05dclrjel.jpg

the first option is a basic "how to play" which you probably don't need.
the game has 4 levels, each with 12 puzzles for a total of 48 puzzles. when entering a puzzle, you'll get this message asking if you want to activate the hint roulette:

2020092318155900-05dct6keq.jpg

you have 30 minutes to solve each puzzles. if you make a mistake and mark a spot that isn't part of the puzzle, your time will decrease by 2 minutes. each mistake after that will decrease (in order) 4, 8, 8 and 8 minutes of your time and then it's game over.
you can ask for additional hint roulettes from the menu, each one will cost 5 minutes of your time. the game auto saves after finishing any puzzle, and you can also save your progress mid-puzzle.

after beating level 1, you will unlock...

2020092319051900-05dclbkun.jpg

Wario's Super Picross! wario's levels are a bit more challenging and there's two differences from mario's levels: no hint roulette, and you won't know if you've made a mistake (so no time penalty either).

wario also has 4 levels, 12 puzzles each, which means the game in total has 96 levels ...unless there's more after beating all levels? who knows, only one way to find out. jk, there's WAY more puzzles.

a few things that are different from the newer picross games:
- you won't scroll to the beginning of the row/column when you reach the end
- if you hold A to mark a section, you won't be stopped at the spots you've crossed out (so you'll get a penalty). same with holding B to cross out a section, you won't be stopped at the spots you've marked.
- the game won't gray out a row/column after you solve it, you have to do it manually.
- from what i can see, there's no badge or mark for solving puzzles without hints.

that's it. the game is pretty good from the little bit i've played so check it out as we wait for Picross S: Mega Drive & Mark III Edition.

Last edited:

nny

Oct 25, 2017
I love Picross, but when I play this one I miss so much the quality of life updates that were made in the games that came after.

Aug 9, 2020
Sweet!

Looks like this is the sequel to the Gameboy Mario PIcross, which I enjoyed on 3DS VC.

Other than being Nintendo's Picross factory, Jupiter has been the developer on some pretty good games like Pokemon Pinball, GB Camera, KH:Chain of Memories, and TWEWY.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I imported the cart for this years ago and am so stoked it's on Switch now. I'd also forgotten about the Sega version coming.

Man, I wish we'd get physical versions of all these Picross games. I'd love to add them to my Picross collection.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Really love that one, I have it on Wii U, but I wish we'd get the first 2 ones on GameBoy, 1 for nostalgia, and 2 because it was JP only.
GB(A) for Switch Online when, Nintendo?

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
I'll check it out. Though I dislike there being a time limit. I like to relax with my puzzlers.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I didn't realise it was Japan exclusive, also didn't realise it was so easy to play in Japanese, I'll probably just buy the cart :D

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
pfft this is honestly more exciting to me than testing an Xbox Series X, that's how much I love classic Nintendo Picross games

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I thought this got a European release? If so, it's weird they didn't use that one for the Western service.

XvSP

Oct 25, 2017
Never give up the hope for a picross 3D Round 3!
On another Note. Why did i just learn that an Mega Drive Picross is coming out O.o

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Oh, man. I'm almost through my first picross game, Murder By Numbers, and I finally understand the picross love. So this is good timing.

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
I tend not to check the NSO stuff much, but I *do* love me some Picross, so thank you for this thread, OP!

Edit: I might have to play this using Joycon rather than the Pro controller though. Mine is prone to mushy DPAD inputs, which really blows when wanting to fill in rows or columns quickly.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WHAT THE HELL. First Picross Mega Drive. Now Picross 3D Round 3. Did I die and ascend to heaven?
Is there any more news to this. A quick google search yields no results?
lol, sorry! it's a fake mockup cover.

Edit: I might have to play this using Joycon rather than the Pro controller though. Mine is prone to mushy DPAD inputs, which really blows when wanting to fill in rows or columns quickly.
as much as i hate the joycon "dpad", it's excellent for picross games.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so accustomed to playing picross with a stylus that I don't think I'll ever be able to play it outside the 3DS

Last edited:

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
LOL, automatically assumed that Picross 3D cover was fake because it had an amiibo logo on it. Ain't nobody using amiibo anymore. :(

Also Megadrive Picross is legit one of my most anticipated games right now.

Anyway, played through Mario level 1. Picross aside, this is the sort of thing I want more of on the NSO, imports that have little to no language barrier (this is even easier to play than Puyo or Panel de Pon, in my opinion).

Although it is kind of funny that
so many of the early puzzles are hiragana/katakana.

Oct 27, 2017
Playing this really makes me appteciate the QoL features of modern picross games a lot more.

- if you hold A to mark a section, you won't be stopped at the spots you've crossed out (so you'll get a penalty). same with holding B to cross out a section, you won't be stopped at the spots you've marked.

This in particular tripped me up a bunch of times.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
What a great little game.

To my shame I don't think I've played a picross game before; I'll definitely be looking at more modern titles after I've finished with this one.

Onilink

Oct 30, 2017
Can we say that this is the first "Japanese language only? Whatever, they can understand, it's fine" game that Nintendo officially delivered overseas?

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how others feel about this game, but for my money it's the worst Picross of all the ones I've played. I played it on the 3DS, and there's just a fundamental inaccuracy to the controls; they don't keep up with you when you're trying to quickly fill, X, fill, X squares, which leads to you making mistakes that aren't your fault and getting penalized. I just had a bad time with it. I'd only recommend it to someone if they've already played all the E, S, 3D, Zelda, Pokemon, and whatever other Picrosses there are out there.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
After playing 40 hours of Picross S4, the Level 1 of this game felt so easy. I imagine next levels will require more effort.

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
As usual Free Mode (Wario's levels in this game) is so much better than regular mode. Better music too. Hate getting penalized for wrong button presses. Also, you unlock more levels in this game once you finish the initial four on each side.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about a 100 puzzles in and this is really straining my eyes. Everything is tiny and the X's I place are hard to make out. I haven't even tried handheld mode.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I never played picross...so I gave it a shot for fun.

Now i'm hooked, help.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Hahaha the whole of level one of this game was me drawing shapes I didn't recognize only for the 'answer' to just be the exact same shape because it's a Japanese letter.