• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

G.O.O.

Oct 26, 2017
IzoJ0nu.png

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I just want to say you all do remarkable work in this thread and it is a source of constant joy for me

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
To be hoenst it was when i first chose the femc in Pokemon Ruby that i figured out i wasn't a dude the same way my dude friends were dudes.

I still think people figuring picking female characters to be a sign of queerness is backwards as fuck, i'm still working out my own gender identity, but i always have been keen on female characters because i thought they were more visually interesting more often than not, i remember one time playing Bloody Roar at a friend's house his little brother was like "You always pick the girls, that's gay, you're gay!" and knowing exactly what kind of kid i was dealing with i just told him "I pick girls because i like looking at cute girls, you picked a big burly wolf guy, what does that say about you?"

Next time i visited he was picking female characters.

Ironically enough, i do enjoy looking at big buff furry guys very much

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I still think people figuring picking female characters to be a sign of queerness is backwards as fuck, i'm still working out my own gender identity, but i always have been keen on female characters because i thought they were more visually interesting more often than not, i remember one time playing Bloody Roar at a friend's house his little brother was like "You always pick the girls, that's gay, you're gay!" and knowing exactly what kind of kid i was dealing with i just told him "I pick girls because i like looking at cute girls, you picked a big burly wolf guy, what does that say about you?"

Next time i visited he was picking female characters.

Ironically enough, i do enjoy looking at big buff furry guys very much

I also think it, i don't think there's something especially significant about embodying a woman for fictional purposes for someone who is cisgender. Maybe the experiencing of a different context/paradigm/character model, but i imagine for someone who is cisgender that's something that starts and stops with the playing of the game. But for someone who experiences some degree of gender queerness, embodying a symbol of the desired or undesired body is likely more meaningful, because there's a pre-existing tension there that others might not experience. Which is to say that yeah, there's no sign of queerness, but queer people may experience it differently. Like... well like everything else really.

I knew when i was a kid what it meant to codify behavior as male, even if i lacked the means and vocabulary to interpret or express the concept, because i did have to watch and learn it, which was maybe why i there was more to choosing the girl mc than there was to other people i guess.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I also think it, i don't think there's something especially significant about embodying a woman for fictional purposes for someone who is cisgender. Maybe the experiencing of a different context/paradigm/character model, but i imagine for someone who is cisgender that's something that starts and stops with the playing of the game. But for someone who experiences some degree of gender queerness, embodying a symbol of the desired or undesired body is likely more meaningful, because there's a pre-existing tension there that others might not experience. Which is to say that yeah, there's no sign of queerness, but queer people may experience it differently. Like... well like everything else really.

I knew when i was a kid what it meant to codify behavior as male, even if i lacked the means and vocabulary to interpret or express the concept, because i did have to watch and learn it, which was maybe why i there was more to choosing the girl mc than there was to other people i guess.

I guess that's fair, one way or another i shouldn't be generalizing, i do still hold that the way the image says it is a backwards way of thinking, but certainly, it's true it also is a way for people to explore their identity as well.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I guess that's fair, one way or another i shouldn't be generalizing, i do still hold that the way the image says it is a backwards way of thinking, but certainly, it's true it also is a way for people to explore their identity as well.

Oh yeah it's transphobe as fuck, no doubt about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.