• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017

The Pikachu Outbreak is an annual event at the city of Yokohama Japan with shows and parades featuring Pikachu and other Pokémon characters. As described in the Yokohama website:

More than 1,500 Pikachus of "Pocket Monster" fame will be popping up all over Yokohama for the various shows and parades during a whole week in August! This year,Pikachus will be jacking the whole city on day time and night time! Not to mention, there will be a new attraction using the digital technology. Yokohama will be turned into a grand photogenic city this summer!!

I wanted to share some photos and videos from some of the shows. When I see this is when I realize the amount of power and money that The Pokémon Company has. I can't think of any other franchise that could organize an event of this scale involving a whole city for a whole week.

More videos:

Pikachu march video

Night parade

Pikachu boat greeting

Photos:

DkXnCRJW0AAMek_.jpg

DkXnCqIW4AECxDZ.jpg

DkXnDCWXsAAhsyO.jpg

DkXnDfaWwAEElKp.jpg

DkXnSwhXgAACFnr.jpg

DkXnSLmX0AAoVy5.jpg

Last edited:

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pikachu is actually the name of some sauce they give you at some informal restaurants here in dominican republic. Since our main language its spanish and the words pica = "spicy" and cachú (how you pronounce ketchup in spanish) form Pikachu lol.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
And some people are surprised to hear that Pokémon is the biggest media franchise in the world.

This is amazing. I love it.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope no Pikachus were hurt this year, you never want to see this

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know Pokemon is big.
I know when executives made the decision for Pikachu for their brand ambassadors in anime they knew they struck gold.

But I still refuse to believe some handful of people sitting in a meeting room decades ago had foreseen this level of hype and celebration.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
I was watching Pokémon I choose you and all I can think of is how adorable Pikachu is.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I was actually there last year, but they didn't have any events during the nights. It was definitely a unique experience and as Japanese as it gets lol.
The neon pikachu look awesome!

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
A Pikachu outbreak!? This is the kind of apocalypse I can get behind! <3

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
false god worship. they should all be ashamed. should do a festival for the true god.

RU38607-750x750.jpg

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
Did Japan decide their Olympic Games mascot? Because they have one right here. Add Mario and Doraemon to the mix and voila.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is really cool. I need to go there when this festival is happening.

Man, imagine you as a child seeing that shit. Imagine japanese children seeing this. Just amazing.