• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
At long last, some screenshots of the Pikmin mobile app have been released! These are officially from Niantic according to the source, lacking the watermark that stopped people from sharing screenshots prior.

pf97mtjtukb71.jpg
yiwyvtytukb71.png

Big Flower You can make Big Flower bloom by planting flowers around big sprouts. Sometimes Big Flower blooms in different colors even if you plant white petals.

66j62kstukb71.jpg
dokr7j6uukb71.png

Color Nectar You can receive Color Nectar as a reward for blooming Big Flower. Send your Pikmin on an expedition to collect it.

As excited as I am for this, I'm rather disappointed that it seems to be lacking the pikmin charm in its UI and graphics. It feels very stock Niantic, here's hoping that's just because it's a early.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Pikmin/comments/olh0co/new_pikmin_app_screenshots_from_niantic_to/

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I just can't imagine this not going the way of Dr. Mario World now. Without the "catch-em-all" aspect, how will this work?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Been playing the app for months.

6LBObDs.jpg

Those are definitely screenshots of it. You should've seen how basic even earlier builds of it looked!

Last edited:

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I played this for a few weeks. It's just like I remember Pokemon GO was like originally.
Only difference is you collect Pikmin and you can give them things to eat send plant flowers.
I got bored of it pretty quickly, doesn't help we are in lockdown here though.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
What are your impressions? Must be somewhat decent if it has kept you around for months?
Not sure what's allowed to be divulged, unfortunately, so I have to be vague. The game revolves around walking and growing and feeding Pikmin. It's okay and can more or less be played passively while you play Pokémon Go, but if you're looking for a lot of things to do, this ain't it. At least not in its current form.

It's a Pokemon go clone?
It's not really like Pokémon Go at all, for better or worse. I think it's good that they're trying new things with each game/app rather than just slapping a different brand onto Pokémon Go mechanics.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
ainQWj6.png

Man this hurts. I'm optimistic that it's in working phases, but not that optimistic. We'll see.

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The crux of Pikmin is gaining a small army to take down creatures and gain resources in a limited timeframe, this ain't it chief

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
It is incredible how shitty gameplay is in all Niantic games but how they keep getting IP and running with it, the what it could have been on all those games is so depressing to even start to think about..

Salamiaddict

May 15, 2018
Northern Germany
This is still beta, right?
Although honestly, I don't think Niantic will add much more for the initial release.

I hope Nintendo have a strong enough say in this to push Niantic for more.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, if this means Pikmin becomes a bigger IP I'm cool with it. Nintendo clearly has faith in Niantic after Pokémon Go.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you told me this was just Pokémon GO screenshots where they were doing a special Pikmin crossover event I would've believed you.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think this will flop.
Doesn't look good and I see no incentive for non pikmin fans to download it.

I just hope that we get Pikimin 4 soon :/

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Put me in the "I don't really get what this is supposed to be" camp. What's the gameplay loop here?

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
Other games like this (aside from Ingress I guess?) didn't thrive, and Pikmin doesn't even have the popularity of Pokemon.

I hope this isn't a catalyst that would make Pikmin be pushed back on Nintendo's storage box.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Other games like this (aside from Ingress I guess?) didn't thrive, and Pikmin doesn't even have the popularity of Pokemon.

I hope this isn't a catalyst that would make Pikmin be pushed back on Nintendo's storage box.
On the face of it, Pikmin is an ideal franchise to adapt into the AR/real world scene. How you go about doing it is another question.

Put me in the "I don't really get what this is supposed to be" camp. What's the gameplay loop here?
The gameplay loop is growing Pikmin. There's more to it than that, but that's the basic point of the app.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Niantic is like the Funko video game version of funko's, slap an IP on it but leave the soul and charm behind.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I think this will flop.
Doesn't look good and I see no incentive for non pikmin fans to download it.

I just hope that we get Pikimin 4 soon :/
I think you guys have much higher expectations for this app than Nintendo and Niantic.
Niantic is like the Funko video game version of funko's, slap an IP on it but leave the soul and charm behind.
You know that based on two screenshot ?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I think you guys have much higher expectations for this app than Nintendo and Niantic.

You know that based on two screenshot ?
haha yeah my thoughts exactly.

I'm not really sure what people are expecting for a game that has based upon walking around google maps.
Looks like Niantic's other games in a similar vein

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I feel the Niantic thing is coming to an end, all their games feel like they're basically the same thing with only so little changes. You can really see how they "only" have the one map with the one set of landmarks, and there's only this much you can do with that.