• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Wait what?!

... oh, right, they announced this awhile back. And I remember PoE2 being announced with a cover shown. This is actually a somewhat tempting double dip!

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I should really play this properly. Maybe this will be the time. Bought it on PC and console and only played a few hours before dropping off - not because I didn't enjoy the game just something else came along and never felt the urge to go back. Handheld though...

Nov 8, 2017
The PC original has rough technical edges, the console ports weren't flawless, so I imagine it was no trivial task to get this going well enough in Switch. Not surprised it took a while.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I bought it on PS4 a few months back and maybe got like 20 minutes in. Gonna double dip so I can play it in portable mode.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Probably the least good (but still alright) of the recent CRPGs, and I remember the PS4 version controls being a bit unwieldy, but not altogether awful. I wonder if this supports the touchscreen at all.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I never played this one but I always wanted to play it. The thing that will hold me back is Fire Emblem and the onslaught of quality games coming out.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta see how this runs first before I'm all the way in but if touch controls are included, this'll more than likely be a day one purchase.

Shoozle

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
UK
Here's hoping the text is easy to read since it's a text heavy game. Both my recent Switch games (FE3H and DQ Builders have some stuff thats difficult to read in handheld mode)

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
They're seriously releasing this game for a full $60?
Games don't port themselves, and getting such a complex Unity game to run well on the Switch is no simple task. Wait for reviews, but assuming they managed to make a decent port here, that's certainly worth the asking price.

I'm personally not sold on the UI they developed for the console versions, it slows it down far too much, but I'll admit it's kind of amazing on some level that you can play a game like this on gamepad controls and still get some enjoyment out of it.

Did they ever backport the improved loading times from Pillars 2 to Pillars 1? That's would be hardest single thing to go back to.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I thought this game felt archaic in ways that felt offputting when I played similar games back in the day. The way the narrative was handled felt a bit low budget to me as well.

Oct 30, 2017
Probably the least good (but still alright) of the recent CRPGs, and I remember the PS4 version controls being a bit unwieldy, but not altogether awful. I wonder if this supports the touchscreen at all.
It's an odd game in some ways. Way too much lore dumping, and there's really no narrative drive for way too long, the combat is kind of a mess, and it's also kind of, "Here's Baldur's Gate but with Cornwallesque lore." I found it funny the northern dlc is basically a rewrite of the DnD Lost Mines of Phandelver adventure. Yet, i still enjoyed it a lot eventually.
Shadowrun Dragonfall, Wasteland 2, Divinity I all enjoyed more.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Good to see it coming over. Would have been disappointing to see a narrative heavy series kick off with the sequel on the Switch.

Really need to play my XB1 copy before the CRPG onslaught kicks off later this year.

nrtn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hope they got around the long loading screens for Switch players.

The game got a lot of screen transitions, and the longer you play, the longer the loading screens take. It becomes a pain by the end of the game.

The controls can feel a little clunky at the beginning, but you get used to it after a while.

The story and the soundtrack are amazing.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Wait a minute, what about the sequel? PoE2 was the game that was actually announced for the Switch forever ago, not the original. I was excited about that one because it was supposed to include the turn-based mode. What happened to it?

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Very. 60+ hours with the DLC.

Also, some of y'all saying Wasteland 2 or Shadowrun Returns is better than Pillars? C'mon! Pillars 1 is a great game.

Wasteland 2 is worse than PoE, Shadowrun Returns is worse than PoE and Wasteland 2

Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall is better than PoE. They should bring Dragonfall to Switch with mod support now that Microsoft and Nintendo are buddies.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
I never finished the PC version. I might give this a try, but I'll wait for the hands-on impressions to come out first. I hope it's a solid release from a technical/performance point of view. How are the controls on the other consoles, especially compared to DOS1?

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
YES!! And NO!! This August was already insane as it was! I have no time nor money but was expecting this since it got announced!

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There isnt any gameplay footage yet, right ?

Waiting for impressions on performance & resolution.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
I'm not sure I can deal with the current crop of great Switch releases. Though I am questioning whether I really need this when FE3H has just dropped today.
I'll wait for impressions, I think.

Wolf Parade

Feb 1, 2018
Excellent! Been looking to play this game since release and I'm thrilled it's on Switch. How is the new turn-based mode?

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Also, some of y'all saying Wasteland 2 or Shadowrun Returns is better than Pillars? C'mon! Pillars 1 is a great game.

Yeah, in no world are either of those games better than Pillars. D:OS and Dragonfall/Hong Kong are much closer in quality but even then they're completely different experiences.

Loved PoE1 in spite of its flaws enough to finish on Path of the Damned and have been considering doing it again sometime. Hope the Switch port is good so more people get a chance to play it.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
That's nice, but where the hell is the second one, Deadfire? It should have been out by this spring. Maybe THQ Nordic was waiting for Paradox to port the first one?

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Love Shadowrun Returns (specially Dragonfall) and liked the little I played of PoE on PC, but I don't really get the comparisons. I think they're pretty different games?

I'm very interested in playing PoE on Switch, but I'm afraid there are many things that could go wrong with this port. I'll wait for reviews (and probably for a sale too, since I'll be busy with FE Three Houses for a while).