• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Console Update
If you read our last update, we promised to have more information regarding Deadfire's console release. As we stated, our partners at Grip Digital have been hard at work, and Deadfire will be releasing on the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Nintendo Switch in 2019! We are pleased to also announce that the console edition will ship with all expansions, updates, and free DLC's included at launch! We don't have an exact date for you yet, but as soon as we have one, we will let you know!

Obsidian forums

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. I got the first one day 1 on ps4. I will do the same for this game.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Awesome! Can't wait to get my mitts on the console version. Hopefully the controls are decent enough.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Can they pls also bring the first Pillars game to Switch while they are at it

I think Paradox has the rights for console development of the first game, and I don't know that they're super interested in that. Kind of a shame.

Awesome! Can't wait to get my mitts on the console version. Hopefully the controls are decent enough.

They've said it'll be similar to the controls for the first console port which people seemed broadly pleased with. This time around there's also a robust AI scripter to help out.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Figured we'd hear something soon on this. Very interested to see how this runs on the Switch, could do very well on the system if its runs well and they market it right.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Man I hope both Pillars games come to Game Pass with mouse & keyboard support. That would be perfect for my desk setup.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh wow. i'm slightly interested in the switch version, but do i need to have played the first game if i want to enjoy the story of this, or are they separate narratives?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh wow. i'm slightly interested in the switch version, but do i need to have played the first game if i want to enjoy the story of this, or are they separate narratives?

They're connected.

That being said it does a decent job refreshing things and even does a bit better with establishing the overall lore than first game did. There's characters from the first game, but the actual plot of the game mostly revolves around a character and his actions that occurred before the 1st game. They were discussed a lot in that game so it'll carry more weight for continuing players however.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
You by no means need to play the first game as it's setup to allow new players to jump right in, but it is a direct sequel so choices from that game do manifest somewhat in this, as do a few companions. More than anything though just the prior knowledge of the world and mythos adds a lot, but again none of this is required and the game does a great job of bringing in new players and not making it feel like you're missing half the story.

Honestly, spending an hour or two just reading through the PoE wikia will probably give you a solid understanding of everything from the first games plot and world setup. You'll just be missing out on the actual player choice aspect and first hand experience. But Deadfire does a great job filling you in on most of that already.

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
they should really port the first game to Switch as well

2 is a direct sequel

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't this supposed to come to Switch this year?

I guess it got delayed and then just folded into the complete edition?

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Yes, I plan to play both on PC soon - after playing through Divinity an Torment, it's the natural course.

I can consider switch, but not without the first one.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Wasn't this supposed to come to Switch this year?

I guess it got delayed and then just folded into the complete edition?
There was never really any chance the console versions would be anything but complete editions, but yes they were tentatively scheduled for Holiday 2018, so this is a slight delay depending on the exact release date.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're connected.

That being said it does a decent job refreshing things and even does a bit better with establishing the overall lore than first game did. There's characters from the first game, but the actual plot of the game mostly revolves around a character and his actions that occurred before the 1st game. They were discussed a lot in that game so it'll carry more weight for continuing players however.
You by no means need to play the first game as it's setup to allow new players to jump right in, but it is a direct sequel so choices from that game do manifest somewhat in this, as do a few companions. More than anything though just the prior knowledge of the world and mythos adds a lot, but again none of this is required and the game does a great job of bringing in new players and not making it feel like you're missing half the story.

Honestly, spending an hour or two just reading through the PoE wikia will probably give you a solid understanding of everything from the first games plot and world setup. You'll just be missing out on the actual player choice aspect and first hand experience. But Deadfire does a great job filling you in on most of that already.
thanks. i guess if i choose to play this i'll just read the wiki.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Different developer and publisher, but as far as big CRPGs that are ported to the Switch, I hope this goes better than the Wasteland 2 port.

Last edited:

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn

It's a complicated case. Deadfire is a new story in a new location with mostly new characters. But the player character is still your "Watcher" from the first game, some companions from the first game return, and the first game provides a ton of background lore that tees up the events of Deadfire. Plus a lot of your major and minor decisions have some reactivity in Deadfire.

My recommendation is that if you're already interested in the first game, you should play it first because it's a good game and will set you up for Deadfire. But if you're not otherwise interested in the first game, don't hesitate to jump right in to Deadfire. You won't miss out on reactivity, because the game lets you customize all the decisions from the first game to set your world-state. And you're not really going to miss much from a story point of view, because the part of Deadfire's story that works has nothing to do with the first game. (As a warning, Deadfire's main story is not a selling point).

Tbone3336

Oct 28, 2017
This is my most anticipated 2019 release. I really enjoyed POE on console outside of the load times and that did not dampen my enjoyment. It has been difficult to stay away from any spoilers on this as I would love to watch some play-through's while waiting but I am remaining strong and going in fresh hopefully.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a complicated case. Deadfire is a new story in a new location with mostly new characters. But the player character is still your "Watcher" from the first game, some companions from the first game return, and the first game provides a ton of background lore that tees up the events of Deadfire. Plus a lot of your major and minor decisions have some reactivity in Deadfire.

My recommendation is that if you're already interested in the first game, you should play it first because it's a good game and will set you up for Deadfire. But if you're not otherwise interested in the first game, don't hesitate to jump right in to Deadfire. You won't miss out on reactivity, because the game lets you customize all the decisions from the first game to set your world-state. And you're not really going to miss much from a story point of view, because the part of Deadfire's story that works has nothing to do with the first game. (As a warning, Deadfire's main story is not a selling point).
thanks for the reply, i'll figure it out, IF the switch port turns out to be good.

Deleted member 45957

PoE2 does not always runs smoothly on a very good PC, I wonder how downgraded it will be on Switch.
It's nice to see more CRPGs on console though, PoE2 has it's flaws (mostly the main quest and some gimmicky boat experimentations), but everything else is stellar.
I'll say it : the Fallout New Vegas vibe is strong with this one. It's from the same makers after all.

By the way, I think console players deserves to play the Holy Grail that has been remastered on PC lately : Planescape : Torment. I hope they'll be able some day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fun game. I can only imagine the loading times especially on Switch.

So much loading times in this game.

Deleted member 33335

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Does anyone know if this console version of PoE2 will fix the memory problems the game had with loading and stability?

For those unaware, during my time through PoE on PS4, the further I progressed into the game and the more my inventory became full (the console version is limited to 100 items in your bag as opposed to infinite on PC), the longer the loading times became and the more the game crashed during these loading screens. This became especially noticeable when I eventually reached "The White March Parts 1+2" and end game, as the game struggled so much that load times would range from 1-3 minutes and crashes would occur about 30% of the time.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
PoE2 does not always runs smoothly on a very good PC, I wonder how downgraded it will be on Switch.
It's nice to see more CRPGs on console though, PoE2 has it's flaws (mostly the main quest and some gimmicky boat experimentations), but everything else is stellar.
I'll say it : the Fallout New Vegas vibe is strong with this one. It's from the same makers after all.

By the way, I think console players deserves to play the Holy Grail that has been remastered on PC lately : Planescape : Torment. I hope they'll be able some day.
Eh Deadfire has one of the lowest requirements and consistent performance on low end PC's as far as modern games go. There's certainly some issues but to act as if low mid or high range pc's have noticeable enough problems with it is egregious.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Does anyone know if this console version of PoE2 will fix the memory problems the game had with loading and stability?

For those unaware, during my time through PoE on PS4, the further I progressed into the game and the more my inventory became full (the console version is limited to 100 items in your bag as opposed to infinite on PC), the longer the loading times became and the more the game crashed during these loading screens. This became especially noticeable when I eventually reached "The White March Parts 1+2" and end game, as the game struggled so much that load times would range from 1-3 minutes and crashes would occur about 30% of the time.
Exact same for me.