• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 6137

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that Believer's End works now, even better than before. (lol)

Disclaimer, I am the one the one that came up with that one. I may or may not be a bit biased.

Last edited:

ilium

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
I really enjoyed PoE, and I'm really looking forward to this. I'm confident they'll deliver an even better RPG and this may become their BGII - the potential is certainly there!

Really curious of course how the GAF Island will turn out...

Last edited:

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Durance's characterization clicked into place for me when all the other companions reacted to him like he was a dirty, offensive old lunatic.

I love how the game hammers down the point that nobody likes Durance. He mostly tags along with you for his own reasons, doesn't care about anybody else and nobody else cares about him. They just tolerate him because he's insane and he's useful as a healer.

Hell, if I remember correctly, Durance doesn't even like the Watcher, he just feels he has a mission to complete alongside him/her.

I love that.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I really hope they can tighten up the storytelling and writing compared to the previous game and take some more risks, genre Tyranny. I didn't contribute to the Kickstarter because I'm a bit skeptical.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I really hope they can tighten up the storytelling and writing compared to the previous game and take some more risks, genre Tyranny. I didn't contribute to the Kickstarter because I'm a bit skeptical.

I'm optimistic. When you think about the sheer number of cards in the deck stacked against them the first time around it's amazing that they made a game that overall I think is very good. It would be the 3rd best IE game personally speaking. They showed with the expansions that they could improve significantly on basically everything from the base game so I'm excited to see what they can do with a full blown sequel that's now separated somewhat from their promise of delivering a D&D insprired RPG with Bioware-style storytelling. Basically I'm hopeful that we get to see Obsidian finally get to be completely Obsidian for the whole game.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Pillars 1's poor plotting and lack of memorable sidequests (at least until WMII) made me rethink how likely Obsidian is to deliver an exceptional story, but I am bullish on Pillars 2 having a good one. I think the success of the first game will give the writers confidence. I think that having done the heavy lifting wrt world-building, they'll be more energetic/creative this go-round (WMII was already a good sign). And it's clear from reading Josh's blog posts that the writers are aware of players' criticisms, join in many of them, and are eager to improve.

Plus, they've talked a pretty good game about expanding the factions, taking inspiration from New Vegas :)

Oct 25, 2017
He's my third favorite character behind Eder and Sagani.

Sagani and Eder were my favorites as well. And while I'm glad that Sagani won't be a companion in Deadfire since it wouldn't have for her story at all I'm really excited for Eder to return because he seemed like he'd stay close to The Watcher.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Sagani and Eder were my favorites as well. And while I'm glad that Sagani won't be a companion in Deadfire since it wouldn't have for her story at all I'm really excited for Eder to return because he seemed like he'd stay close to The Watcher.
Sagani's still likely to show up since her home is in the deadfire archipelago.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Sagani's still likely to show up since her home is in the deadfire archipelago.

I want her to show up as like a one or two minute chance encounter in a city or something. Just a few minutes where we chat, see how the kids are doing, give a hug and go about our ways. That seems like a properly Sagani thing to do.

Given her possible end states I don't know how confident I am on her having any sort of major involvement.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be really cool if she shows up again in some way, but her joining back up as a companion for another adventure after finally being able to return to get family wouldn't feel right.
I was more expecting we'd be able to visit the island where Sagani's tribe is since I think there are other tribes as well.

Bionicman

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone refresh my memory?
I thought the gods in Pillars were fake and were a myth created by the Engwithans as a means of control of the populations and souls, the inquisition was formed to suppress the truth about the gods, but now we have a deity embodying a titan? So those gods are real?

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone refresh my memory?
I thought the gods in Pillars were fake and were a myth created by the Engwithans as a means of control of the populations and souls, the inquisition was formed to suppress the truth about the gods, but now we have a deity embodying a titan? So those gods are real?
Depends on how you define gods. The gods are human-made, but their powers are basically still that of gods. Personally, I still consider them gods even if they weren't the creators of the universe.

Inyourprime

Oct 25, 2017
Good stuff with the thread. I rarely posted but I backed this on fig and watched it very closely on GAF. I will do the same here.

Bionicman

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on how you define gods. The gods are human-made, but their powers are basically still that of gods. Personally, I still consider them gods even if they weren't the creators of the universe.
The gods are real and have real powers, it's just that they are constructs on the Engwithans. The Key is still very much try to prevent that from being public knowledge of course.

Ah I see, thanks guys.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for making the thread; great OP! This is the game I'm most excited about for 2018. PoE was already in my top 5 RPGs of all time (I prefer it to BG II, though I recognize I'm in the minority on that) and it really looks like PoE II is going to improve on it in every way.

It seems like we'll get a date for the backer beta in the next update, which should be out sometime in November. Hopefully that means the beta will start this year...

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
I'll repost my impression about the ending (endings...) from the previous forum.

Finally finished it (original PC version + DLC)

Took me "a bit" longer than what I expected but still, one hell of a ride. Loading times were incredibly obnoxious for me (I literally had to wait more than 5 minutes every time I booted up the game and loading my current save) so that meant playing more of a chore than it needed to be. Thankfully the game itself was still fun, so I had no real complaints (except from frustration when facing tougher battles) on that front.
I was in a bit of a quandary regarding the final decision, because I was legit torn between Hylea (returning souls to hollowborn) and Berath (return souls to the Cycle) but in the end I chose returning souls to the hollowborn. The endings I got were mostly good, IMHO, with Edér becoming mayor of Dyrford, Aloth becoming the LK grandmaster, Kana sailing to search for more knowledge, Hiravias earning the begrudging respect of his clan but then leaving to wander the world because fuck those guys and, best of all, Sagani returning to her village, retiring as a hunter and deciding to raise her family - living in peace and eventually dying feeling loved by her children and her children's children. Others felt much more bittersweet, like Pallegina exiled from the Republics and, while joining the Kind Wayfarers, feeling shunned by her appearance, the Grieving Mother deciding to return to the Bell to wait for new mothers that never came, Durance dedicating himself to revenge against Magran and The Devil of Caroc leaving to wander the world and finally making it to the ocean, something she had never seen, and took her own "life" by drowning before her body completely failed her. More good than bad, IMO, in terms of how my companions ended up.

Oh, and the final boss? Man, felt like a disappointment. I guess I was too overleved, lol. In any case, my personal highlight of the game in terms of battle remains defeating The Master Below after countless tries. God I hate those AoE attacks, lol. So, apart from the easy fight, I decided to send him back to the cycle with the knowledge of what he did to punish him on his next life. I honestly thought about being a bit more merciful as in either erasing his memory and letting him be free of his shady past, or destroying his soul as a sort of mercy-killing 'cause he was beyond salvation but in the end, decided to punish him for a lifetime of evil deeds. He'd have plenty of time to reconsider what his previous life did, I guess :P

In the end, had a blast beyond the technical issues of not so good performance and the horrible loading times. Really can't wait for Deadfire now, hoping that it surpasses the original in every conceivable way :)

What did you choose at the end of PoE? Did you have a clear choice in mind or you went reluctantly with one, as in "it's the least bad option so I'll take it"?

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
Pretty sure it's all locked down already.
bummer, I somehow missed the entire discussion. I hope you came up with something crazy and memorable. I also hope it isn't just a bunch of GAF references

e: just caught Shao Khan's post, it actually is a bunch of GAF references, or so it seems. See, this is what happens when no one consults me

Last edited:

MisterShine

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Cleve
What did you choose at the end of PoE? Did you have a clear choice in mind or you went reluctantly with one, as in "it's the least bad option so I'll take it"?

The first time I went with B, the second I did the same as you. I feel it is probably the most upbeat ending. Having just refinished the WM I & II most recently though, I do think that is a much better ending than the one in the main game, and boy are the consequences of my choice at the end going to be interesting...

I'm looking foward most to seeing how the characters will change in PoE 2 from where their epilogues put them. Or, more specifically, how pissed is Pallegina going to be at me for kinda sorta getting her
kicked out of the Brotherhood

edit: Shao! I posted in your last thread on the other forum.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Went through and fixed some typos and updated Shao Kahn's quote to that in this thread. Also added in some more information I missed that seemed relevant:

Added a new "Infrequently Asked Questions" section for fun things I run across that might be interesting to lore nerds like myself:

Q: When characters cast a spell/sing a song, do the words they say mean anything?
A: Yes. The spellcasting incantations in Pillars of Eternity are all in Eld Aedyran and Engwithan. Their translations are as thus: "A ulu thenn." = To ashes. "Moeith ixi anath." = Power of my soul. "Lavaru bion sik." = Speech cuts flesh. "Brith u lichna." = Bond of magic. "Athek werthan roth." = Return (to the) Wheel. "Craeft afyllath thyr lim." = Skill/strength fills their limb "Cwethe sealmes mihtum." = I speak songs of power." "Werde bylfan an sawel." Words embolden the soul. "Cro ak ten!" = Blood and fire! "Sakrithu!" = Damned! "Ix maru!" = Of death!

Back in the real world:

Q: If I import a save from Pillars 1 can I change anything about my character?
A: Yes! You'll be able to effectively create a new character, changing your class, race, sex etc.

Q: Will the various quest talents and buffs my Watched earned in the first game carry over?
A: Maybe. Certainly not from level 1, but they may be regained as you adventure further into the game and reclaim more of what was yours.

• Level scaling is in the game but completely optional. Level scaling will have a cap depending where you are in the game so not everything will always be scaled entirely to your level.
  • You will be able to discover upgrades both cosmetic and functional to your ship as you adventure through the Deadfire. Or just find a new ship entirely. You will also be responsible for hiring crew members and managing their responsibilities aboard the ship. Be ready to watch your back should your leadership prove wanting.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
This reminds me that I need to do a replay to lock in my 'canon' character sometime soon. Dual wield melee cipher was always my favorite character to play as -- in PoE 2 I might multi to either fighter or monk, depending. Glad to see CRPG ERA is up and running strong here.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I have two completed saves - One with a rogue, and one with a cipher. I'm planning on going cipher/rogue in Deadfire so I'm not entirely sure which game to bring over.

MisterShine

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Cleve
I just completed a Priest of Eothas run using the returning companions the whole time.

Seems like I'll get the most interesting bits in the sequel.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I have a completed Female Human Fire Godlike Monk, Aggressive/Passionate and a Male Orlan Rouge, Clever/Diplomatic 100% completed. Working on a Male Aumaua Ranger, Rational/Deceptive I'm working on now for my first Deadfire run. Not sure what my class will be. Leaning towards Rogue/X. Not sure if that will be Rogue/Ranger, or Fighter, or Cipher or Monk or Barbarian or Chanter. But it will probably be one of those.

Oct 25, 2017
I finished the game with a Moon Godlike Druid. She will probably have the Shifter subclass with no multiclassing in Deadfire. I've thought about multiclassing with Barbarian but I want access to those high level spells.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I will probably continue with my Cipher because I really want to roll a Shattered Pillar Monk/Soulblade Cipher and see if it's as crazy as it looks on paper.

The other possibility is continuing with my Chanter. That probably depends on how the unique weapon I submitted turns out, though. I'm hoping for it to be chanter themed.

Eder will of course be a Devoted/Stalker so he can finally have his trusty/fluffy friend to fight beside.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I have a completed Moon Godlike Chanter, Aumaua Rogue, and Elf Cipher. I lean toward continuing with the Cipher because she was my most recent playthrough and the only one post WM.

I'll start thinking about PoE2 classes during the beta.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
I have a female Wild Orlan Chanter. I'll either keep with that since I enjoy summoning or may end up dual speccing to a chanter/cipher combo.

Deleted member 6137

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I deleted all my saves. I'm thinking of doing another run. I haven't played the additional content (TWM).

MASTER MENACE

Oct 25, 2017
In A State Of Trance
The game is shaping up to be an amazing successor. I just hope they follow in the similar footsteps of Larian Studios and have a robust early access period to test features and implement lots of community feedback. That's why DOS1 and DOS2 from Larian are amazing. The beta for PoE1 was alright, I just hope they do a lot more.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
I am thinking I may finally finish my year old 6 Rogue POTD run. Oddly enough, despite spending 200+ Hours in the game, it will be the first time playing to completion.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
FYI, Josh Sawyer answered some Deadfire questions on his tumblr today. In response to a question about the progression of the "Deeper Companion Relationship" system, he had this to say:
So far, it's pretty much how we described it. I think it took the writers a while to get used to the dynamic (topical) adjustments to relationships and how they tied into the scripted reactions as they develop over time, but the end result is pretty close to how I envisioned it.

My goal with all of this wasn't to replace the scripted reactions, but to have a dynamic "middle man" to handle the incremental adjustments to relationships that eventually build to the scripted events.

Some folks have asked why this is necessary. From my perspective, it can often seem like companions are designed to have a lock-step progression in their relationships – either with you or with each other. In a game that stresses freedom of exploration, I think the development of a relationship feels more natural if the build-up is something the player can see happening.

E.g., Eder has some racist beliefs. However, he doesn't consider himself to be racist and his racism is only expressed in certain contexts. If a character who hates racist attitudes has a huge blow-up at Eder because he's racist and the player hasn't actually seen evidence of that in their interactions, the blow-up will fall flat.

The topic system tracks those interactions. And in some cases, those interactions won't get hit and the relationship won't go in a certain direction. In my opinion, that's a good thing, especially if the player can steer conversations toward or away from certain topics to guide relationships intuitively.

We're still testing a lot of this with the finished relationship conversations, but I'm hopeful that it will produce a more dynamic way for companion interactions to develop.

Josh also announced (or reconfirmed, I can't remember if this was previously known) that the PoE tabletop game would be classless.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
FYI, Josh Sawyer answered some Deadfire questions on his tumblr today. In response to a question about the progression of the "Deeper Companion Relationship" system, he had this to say:

Sounds like what people told me Baldur's Gate was like! I'm excited to see how this turns out, it seems like Obsidian is trying to push boundaries in cRPG narrative design after playing it safe with PoE1.

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Very interesting sounding system, I'm really curious to see how it plays out.

I can't think of many games that have broken the decades old mold of RPG companions which have never really felt great, even if the companions themselves had a good story.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Will there be voiced companion banter? I loved banter in BG2 and if it can be voiced it just makes it all the better.

That being said I really need to finish the first game. I get to act 2 and then always just lose interest half-way in.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Will there be voiced companion banter? I loved banter in BG2 and if it can be voiced it just makes it all the better.

That being said I really need to finish the first game. I get to act 2 and then always just lose interest half-way in.

I don't think we have an exact answer on that. We know though that there's at least twice the budget for voiceovers this time around, and I think all of the inter-companion banter in the first game was voiced, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's a priority here, too. Only time will tell.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

This is the stuff that gets me warm and tingly. If they pull that off even close to what he is describing then it will probably be the most significant step forward in RPG party relationships we've seen since BG2.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
That's a great OP!

Even as a backer who follows most of the updates I learned some new things.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
I HAVE wanted an update on the island. Great to get to know about that! And wonder if name changes will be run with to create some distance.