• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
The companion system sounds interesting, but I don't think it's 100 percent revolutionary. The example they use makes sense, Eder and X companion's reaction won't occur if they don't know about Eder's racist beliefs. Seems like common sense for the most part. I'm glad that it's common sense and that it's going in the game though.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Paradox has announced that the definitive version of Pillars 1 will hit PC/Mac/Linux on a November 15. This brings the price down to $40 for everything out there - both White March expansions, the soundtrack and various digital knickknacks. So if you're in this thread and for some reason haven't played the first game now is the perfect time!

The somewhat more thread relevant news is this part:
The all-new Deadfire Pack DLC, which includes new in-game items to earn and discover, and new portraits from the forthcoming sequel, Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, releasing in 2018

This comes as part of the new edition but will also be a free update to people who already own the game.

I've looked around for what the in-game items are but haven't found anything. Perhaps these will be pantaloon-esque items meant to be found in the first game and carry over to Deadfire?

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
EDIT: Missed by like a second.

PoE Definitive Edition coming 11/15 for PC/Mac/Linux

https://eternity.obsidian.net/etern...on-arrives-november-15th-for-pc-mac-and-linux

On November 15, the Definitive Edition will be made available via digital distributors everywhere for a suggested retail price of $39.99, and will include:
  • The original Pillars of Eternity, a modern RPG with classic inspiration, and winner of multiple awards for its rich story, art, and world design
  • The complete, expanded world, characters, and content from The White March: Parts I & II, which adds new places to travel and quests to complete
  • All premium content originally sold with Pillars of Eternity: Royal Edition, including the original soundtrack, a digital collector's book, an original novella set in the Pillars universe, and much, much more
  • The all-new Deadfire Pack DLC, which includes new in-game items to earn and discover, and new portraits from the forthcoming sequel, Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, releasing in 2018
The Deadfire stuff made it more interesting...

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
EDIT: Missed by like a second.

PoE Definitive Edition coming 11/15 for PC/Mac/Linux

https://eternity.obsidian.net/etern...on-arrives-november-15th-for-pc-mac-and-linux

On November 15, the Definitive Edition will be made available via digital distributors everywhere for a suggested retail price of $39.99, and will include:
  • The original Pillars of Eternity, a modern RPG with classic inspiration, and winner of multiple awards for its rich story, art, and world design
  • The complete, expanded world, characters, and content from The White March: Parts I & II, which adds new places to travel and quests to complete
  • All premium content originally sold with Pillars of Eternity: Royal Edition, including the original soundtrack, a digital collector's book, an original novella set in the Pillars universe, and much, much more
  • The all-new Deadfire Pack DLC, which includes new in-game items to earn and discover, and new portraits from the forthcoming sequel, Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, releasing in 2018
The Deadfire stuff made it more interesting...

Hmm, interesting. I wonder how much the new DLC adds -- might be worth holding off on a playthrough until I get it.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Also, the Beckoner is here to meet all of your Diablo 2 necromancer needs. Mostly I just wanted to try out the cool new Tweet embed feature.

ALittleLion

Oct 27, 2017
Minnesota
Oh yay! Missed this thread thus far! Cannot wait for PoE2.

But really... WHEN WILL MY OBSIDIAN HOODIE SHIP

Seriously, been working out, would like to wear it before its too big/small :P

Infi

Oct 27, 2017
I liked Pillars well enough but Deadfire is feeling like it's going to be a BG-BG2 kinda improvement to me. Things that annoyed me in Pillars are seeming to be gone or improved so this is probably my most anticipated game of 2018.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Sounds like what people told me Baldur's Gate was like! I'm excited to see how this turns out, it seems like Obsidian is trying to push boundaries in cRPG narrative design after playing it safe with PoE1.

This is the stuff that gets me warm and tingly. If they pull that off even close to what he is describing then it will probably be the most significant step forward in RPG party relationships we've seen since BG2.

The companion system sounds interesting, but I don't think it's 100 percent revolutionary. The example they use makes sense, Eder and X companion's reaction won't occur if they don't know about Eder's racist beliefs. Seems like common sense for the most part. I'm glad that it's common sense and that it's going in the game though.

I agree with all of you. It's a rare (and exciting) attempt to advance beyond BG2's companion interactions, and it's also clearly an evolution of that model rather than an attempt to come at the problem of NPC relationships from a whole new angle.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
That companion system seems like a wonderful way to introduce dozens of conversation bugs into the game, but I'll love it if it works.

Deleted member 6137

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Josh Sawyer responds:
In Baldur's Gate II, I recall fans modding in their own custom sub-classes (Class Kits). Have you looked into such possibilities for Deadfire?
I have not personally tried to do it, but it should be much easier in Deadfire.

Almost all of our game data is written out to .xml files that are then compressed into bundles. It should be relatively easy for modders to decompress the bundles and tear into the .xml.

Hopefully some folks while try to do so during the Backer Beta and we can make adjustments if anything presents a difficult obstacle.

I'd love it if Pillars of Eternity II is more mod friendly in general.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Feels like the beta has to be coming up before too long. Hopefully next week we get the update about it. Maybe around the 15th to coincide with the Definitive Edition release?

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Man I hope the beta is soon. I'm not a part of it, but I just want to see some vids and hear impressions from knowledgeable people. I really like the sound of all the changes they've made and I'd love the feedback to be mostly positive with everything they've done. PoE's beta resulted in lots and lots of changes and then the final game went through a couple other major overhauls of systems on top of that. Would be great for them, but everyone else too, if the new systems require as little altering as possible and they just work. Less time spent reworking stats and systems, more time just making the rest of the game awesome.
It will be probably be a mess though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
While we all wait for beta information I found these dialogue/scripted interaction flowcharts interesting to look at. I have no other game to really compare them to but there seems to be quite a number of options for some of these.
sUUzLkw.jpg

qkI9FdV.jpg

And one that you can actually read a get more of a sense of how they're designed.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I can't for the life of me figure out what that thing is. I guess maybe the new hand mortar? Whatever it's firing looks weird lol.

Also, dev stream coming up soon! I imagine that has to coincide with the next update and beta news.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I was actually thinking about starting up a Pillars game earlier, so news of the (admittedly minor) Deadfire dlc thing coming next week is great.

I think I'll make my character a 2-hand melee this time. I haven't done that yet and there are some really strong greatswords in the game. Now to decide between barb or fighter I guess...

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Barb is a ton of fun with 2handers. You can get Tall Grass early on and just go around knocking over groups and carving them up. Also St. Ydwens when fighting packs of constructs later in White March is a heck of a good time.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I'd forgotten about the new proficiency system. Seems like a neat idea to me.

All weapon types have modal abilities if the wielder is proficient with the weapon. Here are a few examples:

War Bow - Overdraw: Lose Accuracy, gain Penetration.

Hunting Bow - Rapid Shot: Lose Accuracy, faster Recovery.

Blunderbuss - Powder Burns: Shooter is Distracted, gain Burn damage cone.

Rod - Blast: Slower Recovery, gain AoE around target.

Dagger - Parrying Blade: Lose Damage, gain Melee Deflection.

Club - Bewildering Blows: Lose Damage, reduce enemy Will.

Mace - Rending Smash: Slower Recovery, reduce enemy Armor Rating.

Rapier - Needle strike: Slower Recovery, higher Accuracy.

Sabre - Windmill Slash: Slower Recovery, higher Penetration.

Morningstar - Body Blows: Lose Damage, reduce enemy Fortitude.

Great Sword - Savage Attack: Lose Accuracy, gain Damage.

Pike - Exposing Strikes: Lose Damage, reduce enemy Deflection.

Pollaxe - Engaging Threat: Lose Damage, gain +1 Engagement.

Small Shield - Binding Block: Slower Recovery, gain Accuracy on next melee attack when missed in melee.

Large Shield - The Wall: Can't Move, dramatically reduce incoming Ranged Deflection and Reflex Damage.

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/167314869926/hiya-josh-i-noticed-you-saying-on-twitter-that

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Store pages just went up if anyone wants to wishlist or follow.

Steam

GOG

I think a good amount of the screens are new, too. Hopefully this means we're getting closer to the beta update.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Thank god at being able to use the same weapon in different loadouts. I think the new rest mechanic utilizing food will be a welcome addition that has a good balance to it. Hope the crafting has improved to make way for interesting and fun cooking and the like.. And god damn at those screens, beautiful. Character models look really stunning and pop out real nice.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
The rest menu picture makes me oddly sad that we didn't make the fishing mini game stretch goal. Make they'll add it in anyway with as close as it got.

MisterShine

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Cleve
I didn't back at the beta level but I will probably just buy the game in EA if they allow it. Mostly to play around with builds.

Will my Mage/Cleric from Baldur's Gate , circa 1999, make a return?!

phazedplasma

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I cant wait for this. Glad to see the island is still on track too.

I need to start following josh sawyer.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I hope we'll see the Backer Beta update this week. I didn't pony up for it again, but I'm excited to see impressions and vids from users.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I didn't back at the beta level but I will probably just buy the game in EA if they allow it. Mostly to play around with builds.

You can actually still back the game through Obsidian's site if you want to save a bit of money. Think it's $35 for the game and maybe $20 more for beta access? I forget exactly. Not entirely sure if it'll come out in a formal EA release.

Edit: NM I thought you meant you didn't back at all. Or maybe you did? If you did back the game I'm pretty sure you can still add on the backer beta.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017

I'm curious about what the best pillars version of the OP caster/melee hybrids of BG2 will be, like the ol kensai/mage. A fighter/shifter druid could be interesting.

MisterShine

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Cleve
I backed the premium digital bundle + the dlc pass.

I can actually add beta access for only 20$.... yeah this is happening.

Edit:
I'm curious about what the best pillars version of the OP caster/melee hybrids of BG2 will be, like the ol kensai/mage. A fighter/shifter druid could be interesting.

The real strength from the Mage side came from their defensive buffs, of which druids in Pillars don't have many. Wizards in PoE1 had good enough spells to let themselves go straight into melee, I imagine Fighter/Wizards will be very strong still. Fighter/Priests as well, which were also quite strong in BG. But of course we have Saint Sawyer steering this ship into the port of Balance so nothing too insane will happen (sadly).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio

Apparently barbarian/Shifter is really strong according to Josh. Which I can see. High level Druid shapeshift was already almost rogue-like levels of DPS in Pillars 1, now you get that for the full fight with extra heals and carnage/whatever else from barb.

Also:

Last edited:

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Never played the first one, but earlier this week i read about their journey on Blood, Sweat and Pixels, and now i feel oddly invested in this project as well. I wish the best for them, it sure seems like a great sequel.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently barbarian/Shifter is really strong according to Josh. Which I can see. High level Druid shapeshift was already almost rogue-like levels of DPS in Pillars 1, now you get that for the full fight with extra heals and carnage/whatever else from barb.

Also:

I also like how one of the Chanter subclasses seems tailored to a melee multiclass. Skald gets phrases on melee crits, and offensive invocations are cheaper. Skald/fighter or Skald/Barb could be a very effective support DPS.