• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Reminder that in six hours Josh will be hosting a Q&A stream and talking about the backer beta. And if you want to see the beta in action early apparently you can watch this guy and maybe more afterwards.

Makes me think we won't have all that long to wait for it to start.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Everything looks so good. It's like Pillars was a proof of concept and now they're just confidently polishing every aspect.

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that in six hours Josh will be hosting a Q&A stream and talking about the backer beta. And if you want to see the beta in action early apparently you can watch this guy and maybe more afterwards.

Makes me think we won't have all that long to wait for it to start.

Thanks for the notice. Really excited to finally see the Beta.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Great OP!

I've tried to half keep up with all the info and avoid spoiling things for myself - thankfully doing well at the latter and not so much with the former.
Can't wait to jump into Pillars 2 with its setting, improvements etc, but also looking forward to starting PoE from scratch once the update hits.
Also good to know what is happening with the island we raised. Going to be an interesting time!

visvim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol, "how does it feel to live in the shadow of Divinity OS 2"

savage questions in the chat

MisterShine

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Cleve
The level-up screens look REAL good. The character models are a real step up too

EDIT: AWW SHIT BACKER BACKER BETA AVAILABLE TOMORROW WE DOIN THIS BOYS

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Backer Beta available tomorrow. I do not need to cave and buy this. I have too many games left to beat.

Deleted member 6137

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We had a thread for betas for both Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Original Sin over at GAF, I think. Both of those threads had decent activity, I think.

This could still be the general updates thread. In a beta thread, one can speak more freely about the content, post screens and videos, and not having to worry about spoiling other people as much.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Selfishly, I love having most of the Pillars conversation in one thread. Plus this one's already got the OP you worked up. But I can be persuaded that a separate beta thread is better.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Okay I can put up a beta thread sometime tomorrow. It probably won't be until 6-7 EST, though, so if it drops significantly before that someone else feel free to do so and yank some stuff out of this OP if it's fitting.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm guessing the beta will go live in a few hours. Probably sometime after noon pacific as they'll want at least a few hours of normal working hours to run support.

Also looks like Ellohime's preview of the beta was archived. All 9 hours and if its anything like what I watched for a bit last night 7 of those hours was just on character creation.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/201324163

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Yeah mine is available as well. Also of note, it says the beta will be updated monthly heading into release in Spring 2018, so we're looking at more of a mid 2Q release it seems. So not much of a pushback.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Does anyone know the minimum requirements for the beta? I'm considering adding the key to my pledge, but I don't know if my laptop could potentially run it.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Does anyone know the minimum requirements for the beta? I'm considering adding the key to my pledge, but I don't know if my laptop could potentially run it.

The requirements they have listed for the second game are the same as Pillars 1, which is what Feargus and Adam said they were shooting for. So if you ran that well I guess it should be okay? I can't see where it has it's own list of system reqs.

Something of a side note, the Deadfire DLC thing for Pillars 1 is interesting. 4 new Soulbound items could make for some fun new options and builds depending on what they are.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
The requirements they have listed for the second game are the same as Pillars 1, which is what Feargus and Adam said they were shooting for. So if you ran that well I guess it should be okay? I can't see where it has it's own list of system reqs.

cheers!

PoE1 ran like molasses (more in terms of loading than actual gameplay - that was fine) even on low res, maybe with the new version of Unity that'll change.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
cheers!

PoE1 ran like molasses (more in terms of loading than actual gameplay - that was fine) even on low res, maybe with the new version of Unity that'll change.
I believe they've sited performance improvements, loading above all else, to be major focuses and things they've improved in Deadfire. Not sure how that translates to the Beta though. Might be worth waiting a couple days to hear of other people's experiences. If it run betters than PoE for everyone else I'd say you are probably fine if that was functional on your system.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
I believe they've sited performance improvements, loading above all else, to be major focuses and things they've improved in Deadfire. Not sure how that translates to the Beta though. Might be worth waiting a couple days to hear of other people's experiences. If it run betters than PoE for everyone else I'd say you are probably fine if that was functional on your system.

yeah, will do that. Thanks for the reply!

MisterShine

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Cleve
Have you all decided what your first beta character will be? I'm leaning toward Howler (Barb x Chanter) or Seer (Cipher x Ranger).

My 'canon' character into Pillars 2 is a Priest of Eothas. To play around in the Backer beta though, I will be making a custom party of:

Priest
Priest/Wizard
Priest/Fighter
Priest/Cipher
Wizard

to test out which I like best. I will be keeping her a priest (both for roleplay reasons and party comp) but might mix something else in. I thought Wizards were by far the most fun class to play in the PoE1 so I'll be trying out the multi-class next to the pure-class to see how they compare. Also with the changes to per-encounter resources and stripping away much of Wizard's utility with learning new spells from spellbooks (honest to god breaks my 12 year old, AD&D loving heart) it might not be so bad.