• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
I would like too, but then, I think should do the first one first, but then, I remember that I'm still on the newbie island in D:OS2 and then, I remember that I did only 7-8 hours on the first D:OS. Nostalgia is a good seller for me but if I think a bit more, it's not a good idea.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished PoE this month although still need the dlc and I had no idea it was going to be on Game Pass! Great news as I was ready to buy it day 1.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just tell me that they fixed the loading times, I've been getting 5 mins of loading on the final area with PS4 Pro.

Manipular

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Just to make sure you're aware, you can't make companions whatever you want. They come with three choices. Eder can be a fighter, rogue or fighter/rogue, for instance.

Ah, I figured it was something like, but that's fine with me. I was constantly told not to run a Fighter in PoE1 because of you getting Eder so early, so I went Barbarian, which was fun but I enjoyed the Fighter more, personally. I'll most likely turn him into a Rogue in Deadfire.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Just tell me that they fixed the loading times, I've been getting 5 mins of loading on the final area with PS4 Pro.
They are significantly better, on PC at least, but they do get a bit longer in time as you progress and your save expands. Booting up Deadfire into an actual save took like 15 seconds compared to like 60+ seconds in PoE for me.
I just finished PoE this month although still need the dlc and I had no idea it was going to be on Game Pass! Great news as I was ready to buy it day 1.
Don't skip out on The White March, really exceptional expansion. Both in terms of story, mechanics and design.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
I cannot recommend playing in turn-based mode, it really isn't well-balanced at all. There's just too many abilities, spells and items that needed reworking further but were rendered useless in TB.

For me, that downside listed in the OP was a huge one. The number of battles was left untouched, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that the game takes a number of times longer to complete in TB compared to RTwP.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are significantly better, on PC at least, but they do get a bit longer in time as you progress and your save expands. Booting up Deadfire into an actual save took like 15 seconds compared to like 60+ seconds for PoE for me.

Don't skip out on The White March, really exceptional expansion. Both in terms of story, mechanics and design.
Hopefully that translate well to console version, does it still have to do loading even on small houses/areas?

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I'm going to play it for sure. I do wonder what effect MS owning the IP has on future games. Hopefully they will keep putting them out if Sawyer is still willing.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I love Deadfire so much. I'll have to think about double-dipping, after all I've already sunk into the game, but I hope more RPG fans give it a chance.

For players who have disliked previous RTwP systems: before you jump straight to TB mode, I encourage you to try Deadfire's RTwP on the slowest speed setting. You get enough time between actions (with the UI doing a good job of indicating what each character is doing and on what timeline) that it ends up feeling a bit like an ATB system. Then if you want to streamline things a bit more, you can hand a few of your party members over to the AI (generally quite capable) or set gambits in the custom AI tool.* In other games I'd only ever managed a grudging peace with RTwP. But Deadfire's is one of my favorite party-based RPG combat systems, full stop.

*Crow-eating confession: before Deadfire's release, I dismissed AI scripting as an unimportant feature. And to be fair, Deadfire's tool isn't super easy to use. But now when I play other, similar RPGs, I see how wrong I was about the value of not having to click a bunch of buttons to set the same buffs/debuffs at the beginning of every fight.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
They are significantly better, on PC at least, but they do get a bit longer in time as you progress and your save expands. Booting up Deadfire into an actual save took like 15 seconds compared to like 60+ seconds in PoE for me.

I won't! I plan on playing it as soon as I'm done with either Death Stranding or Baldur's Gate.

BentMyWookiee

Oct 27, 2017
With console versions coming out, does anyone know if the PC version will have gamepad support? I'd be cool to be able to play on my couch through steamlink.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I definitely want to give it a shot at some point and if it's coming to game pass it seems like a no-brainer.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
you can hand a few of your party members over to the AI (generally quite capable) or set gambits in the custom AI tool.*
This is something I forgot to mention. PoE barely had any kind of AI systems, what they eventually patched in was barely worth using. You didn't really have any other option but issue commands for every single party member for every little thing. Meanwhile Deadfire has probably one of, if not, the most robust customizable companion AI systems out there. The generic profiles are already pretty good but the customizable gambits mean you can automate every little action imaginable, but it's still very straightforward so anyone can create their own custom routines big or small.

Still I eventually opted to control everything with no AI active in Deadfire because it was just so fun manually setting up combos and actions between my party members to just obliterate enemies.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
It's finally coming out? I remember seeing it listed for a late 2018 release at one point. It kind of fell of my radar in 2019 and I'm currently busy with other games. But I can almost guarantee I will get this game when I get into that specific RPG mood again, whenever that will be.

OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
It's finally coming out? I remember seeing it listed for a late 2018 release at one point. It kind of fell of my radar in 2019 and I'm currently busy with other games. But I can almost guarantee I will get this game when I get into that specific RPG mood again, whenever that will be.

If you mean for XB1 and PS4 then yes, it is coming out next week, 28th of Jan. It will be made available on Games Pass at launch for Xbox and on both consoles' digital storefronts.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they add controller support to the PC version.

I have Gamepass and an Xbox, but I can only imagine how long the load times are going to be on console. There is no way I could deal with that.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Please tell me this is coming for PC gamepass. I dont like real time combat and prefer this with controller support please.

OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Please tell me this is coming for PC gamepass. I dont like real time combat and prefer this with controller support please.

Pretty much reason why I am looking forward to TB system. Anyway, according to the official GP thread (link posted right above your post) does not mention it. However, if Pillars 1 is any indication then Deadfire will grace PC GP shortly thereafter.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much reason why I am looking forward to TB system. Anyway, according to the official GP thread (link posted right above your post) does not mention it. However, if Pillars 1 is any indication then Deadfire will grace PC GP shortly thereafter.
Hello fellow controller PC user!! :) But yea, that's great to hear.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never really got in to these top down, isometric CRPG's from way back when as I never gelled with Baldurs Gate's brand of real-time with pause. Would this be a good game to jump into for a complete newbie?

OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Hello fellow controller PC user!! :) But yea, that's great to hear.

Honestly though, I think my PC is not upto spec to be able to play Deadfire.

will it be available on switch?

Yes, eventually.

I never really got in to these top down, isometric CRPG's from way back when as I never gelled with Baldurs Gate's brand of real-time with pause. Would this be a good game to jump into for a complete newbie?

Tragedy is that perhaps some of the most richly written stories and dialogues can be found in this genre due to how budgets are apportioned in a game that is not reliant on mo-cap animations and other visual effects that are replete in general AAA titles. To that end, I would definitely say that this is a far more accessible game than Baldur's Gate and should be welcoming to newcomers.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly though, I think my PC is not upto spec to be able to play Deadfire.

Yes, eventually.

Tragedy is that perhaps some of the most richly written stories and dialogues can be found in this genre due to how budgets are apportioned in a game that is not reliant on mo-cap animations and other visual effects that are replete in general AAA titles. To that end, I would definitely say that this is a far more accessible game than Baldur's Gate and should be welcoming to newcomers.
Interesting. Welp, I'm always looking to try new things so why not, I'll definitely keep this one on my radar.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio

It's almost certainly the most approachable of these style of games. There's a lot of room to get into the math and min/max crazy stuff, but you can also play a way more simple and relaxed game, especially if you really get in and mess with the AI scripting.

Oct 27, 2017
Hope a lot more people play this game. It's a great game and a huge step up from the original in nearly every way. I wish it had gotten the same love that the not near as good Outer Worlds has gotten.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I wish so, so much that they'd built both Pillars game for turn-based combat from the start. That said, Deadfire is the peak of RTwP for me, and with enough autopause settings tweaked it plays close to "turn-based" anyway.

Just a superb game a little let down by its main quest, which is a bizarrely protracted chase sequence that just doesn't cohere with everything else on offer.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
One of the best CRPGs I've played. It's far from perfect and has some big issues (mainly the main story line), but it more than makes up for it with tons of charm, great lore & quests, and the best RTwP combat ever (and the TB combat is also nice.) Hopefully console folks like it as well :)

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I loved PoE in spite of the RTwP, despite loving BG2 and all those old games I can't stand that anymore. But I will definitely jump in on this with turn based on game pass. Divinity just destroyed PoE for me.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Just a superb game a little let down by its main quest, which is a bizarrely protracted chase sequence that just doesn't cohere with everything else on offer.

I know this is a very common criticism of Deadfire, but I really really liked the main story of this game. The politics of all the factions juxtaposed with Eothas and the gods machinations just worked for me. It also helps that I played a Priest of Eothas in my first run and felt like I had a very personal stake in the outcome of things, and Eothas himself is a very interesting character. It is definitely SHORT though. There's like... 4 main missions in the whole game past the tutorial island.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I really liked the turn based gameplay but it hurt some classes badly. Barbarian for example is really focused on speed and attacking fast, but you can only attack once per turn. The cypher meanwhile gains spell casting ability by attacking and spending turns making basic attacks just so you can cast a spell is painful.

a wizard/fighter on the other hand is absolutely deadly in turn based, as most self buff spells are considered free actions and you can cast all of them on yourself first turn and then still take your turn.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I just started the first game on GP. I'm liking it, but the combat does leave a lot to be desired. Should I just stop playing POE and hold out for POE II, or is the first game still really worth a playthrough?

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
Who's doing the port? If it's Versus Evil, like the first one, I will probably pass. Bought it on Switch on Day 1 and it was so broken it became unplayable. After months of waiting they finally patched most of the biggest issues, but still far from perfect. Fool me once...

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Do you need to have played the first for this??

It's a direct sequel with the same protagonist and some returning party members so it probably help. The game intro does try to get you up to speed though.

It's not a direct follow up narratively (since the first game largely resolves itself with no cliffhangers) but thematically there are a lot of aspects which carry over.

OP
OP
Hey Please

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I just started the first game on GP. I'm liking it, but the combat does leave a lot to be desired. Should I just stop playing POE and hold out for POE II, or is the first game still really worth a playthrough?

From what I understand, the second game made significant strides in terms of RTwP and gambit like system for party AI so that you don't always have to micro-manage. In turn based mode, however, (from what I know) it's all you.

Do you need to have played the first for this??

Well, it might help but you can go to YT and check out the main story. I have yet to find a comprehensive video covering details and side quests, which is sad. Also, as I mentioned in the OP, I dropped the game about 3/4ths way in due to familial issues and I have no desire to restart the game from the start.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I know this is a very common criticism of Deadfire, but I really really liked the main story of this game. The politics of all the factions juxtaposed with Eothas and the gods machinations just worked for me. It also helps that I played a Priest of Eothas in my first run and felt like I had a very personal stake in the outcome of things, and Eothas himself is a very interesting character. It is definitely SHORT though. There's like... 4 main missions in the whole game past the tutorial island.
I think I like the "story" overall, but hate how the player experiences it. The main quest feels like something you return to periodically when you've exhausted another dozen hours of (excellent) factional sidequest stuff—rather than something inevitable and inextricable from the rest. It's just kinda weird that there's this
god-ridden statue that can stride across entire islands in minutes, but he occasionally takes months-long pauses for breath and waits for you to catch up because you've been running errands half an ocean away?

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Who's doing the port? If it's Versus Evil, like the first one, I will probably pass. Bought it on Switch on Day 1 and it was so broken it became unplayable. After months of waiting they finally patched most of the biggest issues, but still far from perfect. Fool me once...
Versus Evil is the publisher, but they published the game on PC too. I don't think we know who is actually handling the port development.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
Played about 12 hours on PC with turn based, but just could not get into it, and haven't picked it up since. Probably didn't help that I started it right off the heels of 250+ hours of D: OS 2.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Completed the game 3 weeks before or so, overall good experience and IMO a good improvement over the first game in most areas. Game looks gorgeous, and this time the characters look on par with the environments, which was a big problem in PoE as the character models were really basic. Music is nice too, I loved the new main theme but sadly the game re-uses lots of songs from the first game during the first hours. Main story is kind of weak, and the game feels "too Obsidian", so you'll be most of the time doing Faction Quests and deciding which of them you prefer, which is not bad, but there's a lack of a solid main plot.

I played it using the real time combat though, the game is really really long and centered on exploration, and I have heard several complaints that turn-based combat makes it even longer.