• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Is there a cypher companion in Deadfire? I'm playing as one and I think it's powerful and fun. But I may take the wizard role if there's a viable cypher, bonus if the character is well written and fits the story. Not in a Durance way though, I feel he's one of the more well done but I'd hit his face with a rock every time he comes and says anything to anybody.

I don't think I'd use the sidekicks a lot outside dlc where recommended by the game and never hire mercenaries either. Too much fear of missing out interactions or having them under leveled.

Two cyphers is a good team also, but Minoletta's missiles and general magic spells are usually too fun to not have all the time on screen. At least much more fun than a regular ranger even if you just fire with some wand plus the occasional spell, imo. Although there's druids too with their versatility.

As Anno says, the cipher companion in Deadfire is, unfortunately a subclass that may not suit your playstyle. But no harm in trying him out and seeing what you think. He's an appealing character.

The other thing I would say is to keep an open mind about party construction in Deadfire. Deadfire is more forgiving than POE1 about traveling without specific classes. Plus with multiclassing, you can potentially cover a lot of different abilities within one party. Each companion in Deadfire has three class choices (mentioned in the OP), at least one of which is a multiclass.