• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Great OP, thanks.

I'm super hyped for this one, I enjoyed PoE1 but its shortcomings were very apparent and from what I've seen, read and played most of them are fixed in PoE2 which will make for a much more enjoyable experience.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I was going to say "not even Divinity: Original Sin 2 is that big!", but it's 38 GB.... Hrm.

It's worth the HD space, I suppose. If the VO is anywhere near as good as Divinity: Original Sin 2's, it will add a lot to the game. (I thought it was completely unnecessary in DOS2, up until I actually heard it. Was a really great choice.)

Just to clarify (since some people didn't make the distinction in some of the streams I saw), it's specifically all dialogue that is voiced, not all narration as well like DOS2. Voiced narration is restricted to important parts of the main quest.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Just follow me and de-attach yourself from caring about that expansion.

So is there no way to get stuff from White March without actually playing it? I was considering just using the prefab saves because I didn't like my character from the first game anyway and didn't have the expansion but the ability to remake the character even after importing makes that decision tougher.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Is it one ability per level across the board, or if it's not, is there I place I can see the specifics?

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't we have an ot for this already or am I seeing things? Feels a bit bad to just throw someone else's ot out the window just because they went a bit humor focused for it, especially if it was like their first OT.
I feel like the big issue was just it was nothing but humour with no real information of use.

Humour can be hit or miss, so if you're going to use it you should always make it informative too, especially when the OT will be visited by people that might know nothing about the game.
I was going to say "not even Divinity: Original Sin 2 is that big!", but it's 38 GB.... Hrm.

It's worth the HD space, I suppose. If the VO is anywhere near as good as Divinity: Original Sin 2's, it will add a lot to the game. (I thought it was completely unnecessary in DOS2, up until I actually heard it. Was a really great choice.)
I was also surprised at how big of a positive change this makes.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
I think my first character is going to be a Battlemage but looking at the spells it's really hard to justify taking a wizard subclass because there's great buff spells spread among just about every school. Even the Enchanting spell school has a load of self buff spells in it despite the description for Enchantment being all about hindering enemies...

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Just to clarify (since some people didn't make the distinction in some of the streams I saw), it's specifically all dialogue that is voiced, not all narration as well like DOS2. Voiced narration is restricted to important parts of the main quest.
Ooooh, good info. Had no idea. DOS2 made the narrator work, but I could see it detracting from the grimly serious stuff POE2 deals with, so maybe this is the better choice.

If that's the case, I hope they set up the VO better this time. Having dialogue VO going while reading the narrator's text was super jarring. IIRC they mentioned something about this so hopefully it's all good this time 'round.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Is it one ability per level across the board, or if it's not, is there I place I can see the specifics?
No. Single Class get 2 Ability points every other level(until lvl 13 then it's every 3), while Multi-class get 1 Ability point per class every three levels all the way through. Rest of the time it's just 1 Ability Point per level. It's based on Power Levels, which Single Class characters progress through faster and ultimately higher.

new_multiclassing_table.jpg

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but what I really wanna know was did they bring back 'big head' mode?

I legitimately thought BHM improved the first game

Same. At first I turned it on as a goof, but eventually realized that it felt so much better to play this way.

I think Josh mentioned that this time they have a ton more consistency to the implementation, so that makes me happy.

Burt

Oct 28, 2017
No. Single Class get 2 Ability points every other level, while Multi-class get 1 Ability point per class every three levels. Rest of the time it's just 1 Ability Point per level. It's based on Power Levels, which Single Class characters progress through faster and ultimately higher.

Ah perfect, thanks

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
For Stream watchers have there been any noticeable bugs or glitches in the game? I know some people had remarked CohhCarnage seemed to have some slowdown in the big city, but that's about it, and he may have been running the game in 4K.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
Cheers Anno! Thanks and apologies to all involved in that little drama, and hopefully no hard feelings HP_Wuvcraft

Can't wait for my grumpy Cipher investigator to set sail on the Deadfire seas, flying the flag of Wael!

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lmao you actually made a new thread instead of just letting Wuvcraft revise the old one.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
No. Single Class get 2 Ability points every other level(until lvl 13 then it's every 3), while Multi-class get 1 Ability point per class every three levels all the way through. Rest of the time it's just 1 Ability Point per level. It's based on Power Levels, which Single Class characters progress through faster and ultimately higher.

Thanks for this.

I am only now realizing just how MUCH the devoted subclass actually gives up. I imagine we won't know what is truly worth devoting into until we know more of the uniques in the game.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
For Stream watchers have there been any noticeable bugs or glitches in the game? I know some people had remarked CohhCarnage seemed to have some slowdown in the big city, but that's about it, and he may have been running the game in 4K.

I don't know if it's confirmed but supposedly there's a memory leak that causes performance issues in big cities or during long play sessions. Restarting is the temp fix.

Burt

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for this.

I am only now realizing just how MUCH the devoted subclass actually gives up. I imagine we won't know what is truly worth devoting into until we know more of the uniques in the game.
Eh, it's not too bad if you're fine passing on stuff that might be temporarily better. IIRC, in the first Pillars each weapon type basically had an "ultimate weapon", so I'd be surprised if they ditched that strategy here and left early players out in the cold.

But damn, they weren't kidding when they said multiclasses have drawbacks. 3 level 7 ability points at the top for a multi versus 7 level 8 and 9 ability points for a single class? That's enough to make you reconsider.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Apparently there's a day one patch that the streamers don't have access to, and Obsidian devs in chat have acknowledged that they are aware of the issue. So I guess it's probably high on the to-do list, but it also implies that it's not included in the day-one patch. Assuming you're not streaming it in 4K you're probably not going to be worse off/

DayVeeJones

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, both CohhCarnage and Itmejp were running sub 60 when they got to the big city. Other than that I haven't seen anything concerning.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Thanks for this.

Kinda. Like the modals are mostly situationally good rather than in PoE1 where it was a significant flat bonus to accuracy. I suspect it'll be a strong subclass.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, it's not too bad if you're fine passing on stuff that might be temporarily better. IIRC, in the first Pillars each weapon type basically had an "ultimate weapon", so I'd be surprised if they ditched that strategy here and left early players out in the cold.

But damn, they weren't kidding when they said multiclasses have drawbacks. 3 level 7 ability points at the top for a multi versus 7 level 8 and 9 ability points for a single class? That's enough to make you reconsider.

Yeah, I am seriously considering making my rogue pure.

Was considering going Devoted or Bleak Walker, but some of the higher level abilities look too sexy to ignore.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That seems like a rather major oversight.

Could be an oversight, or it might be a fairly longstanding issue that they decided wasn't disruptive enough to warrant delaying the game to fully fix. Could be my own view colouring my take on it, since I don't really think sub-60 drops in a particular area in the game is that big of a deal. YMMV though.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Josh did mention I think in his tumblr Q&A thing that it was mostly in that one area of Nekataka that they've been having performance problems because it's one of the biggest maps with the highest NPC density. So hopefully most stuff keeps the cool 60+ that were nice in the beta. At least it can't be worse than the first game!

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
Could be an oversight, or it might be a fairly longstanding issue that they decided wasn't disruptive enough to warrant delaying the game to fully fix. Could be my own view colouring my take on it, since I don't really think sub-60 drops in a particular area in the game is that big of a deal. YMMV though.
I completely understand that, but on the other hand, they gave streamers the game four days before said patch is ready. If it's between patching and giving streamers the game a fairly insignificant amount of time before release, I'd go with the patch. It's not a huge deal since the problem is not crucial, but it just seems like an odd schedule.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just bought my copy at Steam for CAD $56 - but I see that cdkeys.com is selling it for CAD $42. Oh well. I'm not sure if cdkeys hassent out their keys yet.

I used to buy through Green Man Gaming - but the 'deals' are pointless now due to the plunging Canadian dollar.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I think my first character is going to be a Battlemage but looking at the spells it's really hard to justify taking a wizard subclass because there's great buff spells spread among just about every school. Even the Enchanting spell school has a load of self buff spells in it despite the description for Enchantment being all about hindering enemies...

I think it only really makes sense to make your main character a wizard subclass if you are planning to take one of the wizard companions. That way the companion can be the generalist who has access to everything you would expect from a wizard, while your watcher can be a very specialized multiclass build focusing on maximizing the synergy of your other class with a specific line of wizard spells.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Is the first one worth playing on PS4? I really like the look of it but it seems so deep and intimidating. The last time I played a game like this was Baldurs Gate 2 when it came out. I beat it and enjoyed it but that was years ago. I didn't like it's random dice rolling though felt too rng. , does this have that too?

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Is the first one worth playing on PS4? I really like the look of it but it seems so deep and intimidating. The last time I played a game like this was Baldurs Gate 2 when it came out. I beat it and enjoyed it but that was years ago. I didn't like it's random dice rolling though felt too rng. , does this have that too?
Definitely worth it. Load times are a little long, but mechanically you should be able to understand things with a little patience. Definitely more straightforward and user friendly than BG2.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio

The console ports are generally well thought of outside of some longer loading times near the end of the game and some intermittent framerate drops. And yes, there is an attack roll that's partly a random die and party your/their stats. There are lots of ways to manipulate it in your favor though, especially as lower rolls can still "graze" the enemy for partial damage/effect rather than outright missing.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn

There are under-the-hood dice rolls, but I wouldn't describe it as a RNG-heavy game. And in general I think you'll find the rules easier to learn and the action easier to follow than in BG2. There are tons of tooltips. There's a slow-mode for combat. There are AoE indicators for spells. And, broadly speaking, it was a major design goal to ensure that almost any build is viable.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
There are under-the-hood dice rolls, but I wouldn't describe it as a RNG-heavy game. And in general I think you'll find the rules easier to learn and the action easier to follow than in BG2. There are tons of tooltips. There's a slow-mode for combat. There are AoE indicators for spells. And, broadly speaking, it was a major design goal to ensure that almost any build is viable.
What's a good class for a noob? Paladin? I heard cipher is good too

How is the music in the first game? Loved the soundtrack in BG2.

Also I have Original Sin 1 on ps4. Played about 10 hours but found it hard to get into. Not sure why? Maybe because it felt like a comedy at times with its situations and characters almost like Terry Pratchetts Discwworld in its atmosphere?

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn

Also I have Original Sin 1 on ps4. Played about 10 hours but found it hard to get into. Not sure why? Maybe because it felt like a comedy at times with its situations and characters almost like Terry Pratchetts Discwworld in its atmosphere?

Honestly, I think all the classes are pretty intuitive in POE, so I'd recommend going with what sounds fun to you. Paladins are good and have lots of passive abilities. If you want to reduce your amount of micromanagement, they're a fine choice. Ciphers are fun because you'll do lots of auto-attack damage and get to play around with spell-like abilities. They also get a fair amount of reactivity in dialogue.

I liked the music. Apart from the main theme, I don't know that any of it has stuck with me, but others may have more to say on the subject.

The tone of the story is pretty similar to BG2. Serious and grounded compared to Divinity: OS.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio

Paladin is fine. Fighter, Chanter and Ranger are all a good combination of relatively simple and effective. Really though just play what sounds good. The classes/stats are designed so that basically anything works except on the highest difficulty or two. You'll be fine.

Music is very good if maybe a little limited in terms of number of tracks.

PoE has basically the opposite atmosphere of D:OS1. It also waits a bit longer before throwing you into Big Town, which I think is what turns off a lot of people at the beginning of Divinity.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Do I need to play the first to enjoy this one?
No, but it will likely help a lot to add greater context and depth to certain aspects and character. Importing completed saves, or recreating your choices to be reflected in Deadfire is a major thing. That said Obsidian has purposely addressed the fact that the game is still designed to allow newcomers to start out here and not feel lost or left out.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Very happy I managed to avoid most pre-release information up until now, I don't even know the names or roles of the new companions. So proud of myself.

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
No, but it will likely help a lot to add greater context and depth to certain aspects and character. Importing completed saves, or recreating your choices to be reflected in Deadfire is a major thing. That said Obsidian has purposely addressed the fact that the game is still designed to allow newcomers to start out here and not feel lost or left out.

then I think I'll skip the first one.
Really digging the previews so far.

Mifune

Oct 30, 2017
Take your time in both combat and elsewhere. Just spending a little bit extra time in combat early on to try and understand everything going down and how things work pays off big time. Ignore any character with a gold names.

YES. Heed this advice. I wish someone had told me this going in because reading all that gold character stuff soured me on the game early on. I was like, "What is UP with this writing?"

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Round 2!

As I said in the other thread, the missus and I are really looking forward to this. We've been playing the White March expansion for the first time the last few weeks trying to wrap up our save games for Deadfire. Not sure if we're going to finish in time though as the Alpine dragon is giving us some grief. Can't wait to set sail in the Deadfire :)

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. For Reasons of Role-Play I want to go rogue/paladin but looking at the skill trees I'm not sure how well that's gonna work out. I want to play my character more like a rogue than a paladin, so I guess the best option would be to use paladin passives/modals for de-squishification, but I dunno if the tradeoffs are worth it.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. For Reasons of Role-Play I want to go rogue/paladin but looking at the skill trees I'm not sure how well that's gonna work out. I want to play my character more like a rogue than a paladin, so I guess the best option would be to use paladin passives/modals for de-squishification, but I dunno if the tradeoffs are worth it.
Yeah that's sort of where I am with multiclassing. I'd like to use two classes, but I dunno that it'd be worth utilising, say, 80% of a class rather than 100%.

Right now I'm leaning towards pure Barbarian, but Rogue is also interesting. Basically, the two classes I never used in POE1.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yeah that's sort of where I am with multiclassing. I'd like to use two classes, but I dunno that it'd be worth utilising, say, 80% of a class rather than 100%.

Right now I'm leaning towards pure Barbarian, but Rogue is also interesting. Basically, the two classes I never used in POE1.
Be a crazed murderer with me as a Barbarian Berserker/Rogue Streetfighter! Between the two you have a ton of passive skills that make you attack crazy fast and for major dmg bonuses. Plus if you take some drugs you can get really dangerous.

New code, I could bearly make it out.
PLmjXG