• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
That little bastard from Ashen Maw is getting the clamps ASAP

Although now that I think about it I might've missed him this playthrough

... ... ...

Shadout

Oct 27, 2017
That is certainly a way to create more stash space.
Wonder if there will be an achievement to kill all the animals. Only one way to find out. Eder can join them.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Good to see this confirmed:

If you read our last update, we promised to have more information regarding Deadfire's console release. As we stated, our partners at Grip Digital have been hard at work, and Deadfire will be releasing on the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Nintendo Switch in 2019! We are pleased to also announce that the console edition will ship with all expansions, updates, and free DLC's included at launch! We don't have an exact date for you yet, but as soon as we have one, we will let you know!

Hopefully it's not too far into 2019.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'll probably blitz through the new DLC this weekend, and then plan to replay the game fully in 2019 sometime to take full advantage of all the major patches.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I hope this game will get a bit closer to the success it deserves with the console release and the extra attention that came Obsidian's way with The Outer Worlds.
I also won't double dip, but I'll be back for one more run for sure this month to see all the DLCs.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I don't know that psion is a "good" subclass in terms of min/maxing, but as a priest multiclass it's at least a very fun subclass to play so far. You don't get as much focus as you would with a normal cipher, but you also don't have to hit anything, so I get to run around casting priest spells and then have enough focus for another cipher spell or two.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Finally started playing after putting it off long enough. I forgot how great these types of RPGs can be; I had a string of like 4hrs yesterday in the city where I didn't fight anyone. Just using skills and dialogue to navigate situations. So fun. Still a little overwhelmed with some of the mechanics though. I had the deluxe edition of PoE1 that came with the game guide which had some build guides. There doesn't seem to be the same thing for PoE2 deluxe edition. Are there any good build guides out there? With all the subclassing/multiclassing, I'm struggling a bit with analysis paralysis.

A bit off-topic, but did any of y'all play Torment: Tides of Numenera? Thinking about giving it a go after I beat PoE2. I've played the tabletop Numenera game a bit and love the world, but the game received ok-ish reception and kinda died. I have Tyranny waiting in the wing too.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Finally started playing after putting it off long enough. I forgot how great these types of RPGs can be; I had a string of like 4hrs yesterday in the city where I didn't fight anyone. Just using skills and dialogue to navigate situations. So fun. Still a little overwhelmed with some of the mechanics though. I had the deluxe edition of PoE1 that came with the game guide which had some build guides. There doesn't seem to be the same thing for PoE2 deluxe edition. Are there any good build guides out there? With all the subclassing/multiclassing, I'm struggling a bit with analysis paralysis.

A bit off-topic, but did any of y'all play Torment: Tides of Numenera? Thinking about giving it a go after I beat PoE2. I've played the tabletop Numenera game a bit and love the world, but the game received ok-ish reception and kinda died. I have Tyranny waiting in the wing too.

There are some good build guides on the Obsidian forums.

I didn't play Torment, but I can heartily recommend Tyranny. It's a cool game that's let down a bit by obviously having nearly no budget, but the world is cool enough to carry it imo. It's also nice and compact which is a rarity in these kind of games.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Yeah, you'd have to be sprinting though it to finish it in 10 hours. 20 is closer to my experience.

I played some of The: ToN (about 6hrs I think), and while I found it fine, I got distracted and it never grabbed me enough to make me make time for it. The combat was tedious and the story just didn't grab me by that point. Maybe it picks up later, I still intend to find out eventually.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you'd have to be sprinting though it to finish it in 10 hours. 20 is closer to my experience.

I played some of The: ToN (about 6hrs I think), and while I found it fine, I got distracted and it never grabbed me enough to make me make time for it. The combat was tedious and the story just didn't grab me by that point. Maybe it picks up later, I still intend to find out eventually.

I've been meaning to give Torment an honest try as well, I was actually gifted it not too long ago. It does sound like it's kind of the opposite of what I look for in a CRPG though.

MrCinos

Oct 26, 2017
OK, I can't play the game because I can't decide on a build... Can someone recommend me a multiclass alongsides Bloodmage? The 3 MIG Support-Disruptive tank preferable. Paladin/Chanter/Fighter/Priest/Something else? Just give me a couple of examples if possible that could work on the highest difficulty.

P.S. Still can't decide whether to use low scaling EXP mods too, on one hand it'd suck getting to the cap fast, on the other hand POTD supposedly got buffed and I wouldn't want to get stuck without being able to progress too due to the lack of a level or two. What to do, what to do.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
OK, I can't play the game because I can't decide on a build... Can someone recommend me a multiclass alongsides Bloodmage? The 3 MIG Support-Disruptive tank preferable. Paladin/Chanter/Fighter/Priest/Something else? Just give me a couple of examples if possible that could work on the highest difficulty.

P.S. Still can't decide whether to use low scaling EXP mods too, on one hand it'd suck getting to the cap fast, on the other hand POTD supposedly got buffed and I wouldn't want to get stuck without being able to progress too due to the lack of a level or two. What to do, what to do.

Paladin seems like the obvious choice, but I don't know that a 3 MIG-type build is going to work with anything that relies on supporting via healing very well. I wonder if it would just be more viable by itself. I wonder if maybe you could make it a weird Barb multiclass with their new support sub and just use the various speed/recovery barbarian abilities to power through CC spells.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
for a low might support/tank I would maybe go with chanter? I've never played a chanter/wizard but I actually do plan to roll with Fassina in that combo for a bit in my current run, I imagine it should be an effective support character.

Burt

Oct 28, 2017

They're all good and perfectly doable at the highest difficulty, they just do different things and it really depends on what you're picking up with the rest of the party. Paladin and Fighter can both be more offensive and/or more tanky. Priest and Chanter offer better part-wide support, and you can dump Perception in addition to Might if you're focused on using your phrases for summoning/your Priest spells on your teammates, assuming you're using the Wizard spells for self-buffs that also don't rely on Accuracy.

If you want to be active/into the fray, I'd recommend Fighter. If you want a frontline meatshield, I'd recommend Chanter w/ summons. Priest would be a buffbot that tanks okay, Paladin's a tank that buffs okay. Whatever you choose, if you regret your decision you can always switch it up with the Unity console mod.

As for the XP mods, I wouldn't worry about running into progression blocks. There's an enormous amount of side content for all levels even without factoring in the DLC, and finishing up the main quest as low as level 17-18 isn't that big of a deal.

Last edited:

benj

Oct 27, 2017
started this last night. only got an hour or two in but this owns, so much. really hope it keeps up with the skill checks and character checks in dialogue/prompts as the game goes on

having fun on my assassin/soul blade but i know it's gonna be hard not to reroll a hundred times

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Glad you're enjoying it. And yeah it's really hard not to want to roll a new character every time I load the game because there's just so many interesting things I want to try.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
anyone have any advice on whether i should enable visible dialogue disposition stuff? I was thinking of keeping it off so I don't get tempted to mindlessly slam whatever symbol i'm sticking with, but i also think tone is hard to communicate in text and don't want to be quickloading a lot because the devs think apologizing is Irrational or whatever

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
anyone have any advice on whether i should enable visible dialogue disposition stuff? I was thinking of keeping it off so I don't get tempted to mindlessly slam whatever symbol i'm sticking with, but i also think tone is hard to communicate in text and don't want to be quickloading a lot because the devs think apologizing is Irrational or whatever

I guess that's just a very personal call. I keep them off because over the...seven? characters I've played between both games I don't think I've ever looked at their dispositions towards the end and just disagreed with them. Like maybe there's a couple wonky ones in there, but by and large my sense of what's what seems to agree with Obsidian way more often than not.

If it's a big RP thing for your character though it's probably the way to go.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
are there any companions I absolutely should or should not multiclass? this feels like a heavy choice given that I have no idea what party members are available (of those with dialogue, the only ones I care about). staring at Xoti's choice right now

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
are there any companions I absolutely should or should not multiclass? this feels like a heavy choice given that I have no idea what party members are available (of those with dialogue, the only ones I care about). staring at Xoti's choice right now

I feel like there are very few situations where Eder benefits from being pure fighter. Both as a tank or a damage build, rogue just provides too much benefit. Other than that though it really just depends on how you want to build/play that character. It's fine to multiclass Xoti, but if you do so you should plan to play her pretty differently than if she was a run of the mill priest or monk.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Imo Xoti is the only one that I'd argue is noticeably better as a single class priest than as either of her other two options. Her monk subclass is just not ideal compared to all the other options. Like it's still a monk, so it's still amazing, but worse than just a normal monk.

Eder arguably doesn't gain a ton on paper by being a pure fighter, but it is just easier to play him as that, and that's worth something.

Burt

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, there aren't any 'absolutes' regarding multiclassing companions. The one that was closest at one point, the Ranger - Ranger/Rogue - Ranger/Wizard going Ranger/Rogue, is far from an absolute anymore now that pure Ranger's been buffed so much and people are more knowledgeable about Ranger/Wizard builds.

edit: ha, well, seems like everyone has different ideas about who's best to single/multiclass, but you get the picture.

I think the general consensus is that multiclassing is often stronger, especially pre-endgame, but it takes a bit more build experimentation/knowledge. The exceptions would be when you're confident in knowing what you want a character to do and see the option to do it. When I used Xoti in my first playthrough, for instance, I knew I just wanted a healbot so I disregarded the Monk options and made her a pure Priest, which worked out perfectly. You'll get a Wizard soon, and if you want the ultimate nuker, just make him a straight Wizard. Wizard level 8 and 9 spells are insane. On the other hand, you can make him a Fighter/Wizard like I did, and he'll be a fantastic tank through the entire game if that's what you need.

Last edited:

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Uh, this is a little embarrassing, but I'm getting absolutely trashed.

I'm on Veteran, currently level 3. While level 2 I tried fighting the thugs in the flooded southwestern area of the starter town for about an hour, pulling a group of 5 while two of them were one-skull and the others were none. I tried a lot of variants of initiating, using traps, using grenades, and finally had one run where I almost definitely would've won if my main hadn't canceled Soul Annihilation in favor of a basic attack (not sure why that happened). But I just figured what the hell, I'll move on and come back later.

Now I'm at the digsite. There's a group of one boar, two young boars, and like 4 wyrms that I seem to have to pull all at once. I use traps, grenades, blow cooldowns, but it's still an uphill battle to kill even one thing, and the wyrms destroy anything they're focusing in one round. The boar is two-skull, everything else is none.

I am...not new to these games. I've played BG, BG2, IWD, yadda yadda a hundred times. I play Gloomhaven every week. I don't even normally struggle in these games. Is this just low-level tabletop-character syndrome? I feel like I'm a level 2 BG character against level 6 BG characters.

e: And I chose Contemplative for Xoti but I'm already regretting it. Might roll back the save.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio

I'm on Veteran, currently level 3. While level 2 I tried fighting the thugs in the flooded southwestern area of the starter town for about an hour, pulling a group of 5 while two of them were one-skull and the others were none. I tried a lot of variants of initiating, using traps, using grenades, and finally had one run where I almost definitely would've won if my main hadn't canceled Soul Annihilation in favor of a basic attack (not sure why that happened). But I just figured what the hell, I'll move on and come back later.

Now I'm at the digsite. There's a group of one boar, two young boars, and like 4 wyrms that I seem to have to pull all at once. I use traps, grenades, blow cooldowns, but it's still an uphill battle to kill even one thing, and the wyrms destroy anything they're focusing in one round. The boar is two-skull, everything else is none.

I am...not new to these games. I've played BG, BG2, IWD, yadda yadda a hundred times. I play Gloomhaven every week. I don't even normally struggle in these games. Is this just low-level tabletop-character syndrome? I feel like I'm a level 2 BG character against level 6 BG characters.

e: And I chose Contemplative for Xoti but I'm already regretting it. Might roll back the save.

The digsite and that battle in Gorecci street are potentially two of the harder fights in the game relative to where they are. And Veteran is actually kinda of rough now. You can avoid both fights by sneaking, or, if you want, hire a couple of mercs to fill out your party until you acquire a full squad. Druids with charm beast in particular will be very helpful against the digsite battles.

Burt

Oct 28, 2017

With the way they've set up difficulty scaling in this game -- just a flat bonus for enemies based on difficulty settings that's the same at level 1 and level 20 -- the early sections are often the most difficult.

If you've leveled since attempting the thugs in Gorecci street, it's probably not a bad idea to head back that way. I think it's an easier fight if you stealth over to the guys on the porch and take them out first, then use the stairs as a choke point for Eder. Accuracy is likely your biggest problem at this point, so I'd recommend giving your main and Xoti a single pistol if you have/can afford them to poke at range from behind Eder, because using a single one-handed weapon gives you like a +12 Accuracy bonus. Also, if Eder has medium shield specialization, the modal will significantly reduce the damage he takes in melee, which I think'll be all that's left after you take out the goons on the porch. There are a bunch of useful weapon modals with support functionality that work great on a meatshield tank, so browse through and see what you've got and what would help. If all else fails you can
sneak around them from the south entrance and talk to the guys at the far end of the map to complete the quest without fighting.

For the arena fight you're talking about, same chokepoint/tank 'n spank strategy should work. There are a few battles around the arena that vary in difficulty and can help you get some XP, and for the, uh... biggest fight in the arena, worst comes to worst, you can
sneak around the backside and descend below the arena, avoiding the fight entirely. Which I wouldn't recommend doing for the whole of downstairs, but you could scrounge up some more XP, level up, and come back for the big fight.

Druids with charm beast in particular will be very helpful against the digsite battles.
This is probably the best, easiest option for the arena if you've got the cash. A few temporary mercenaries will swing the whole thing, especially a Druid with Charm Beast.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, guys. I was trying chokepointing/tank n spank at the arena, but Contemplative Xoti wasn't doing much from behind the meatshield, and my main character feels like he needs to get a greatsword Sneak Attack off to be worth anything—having him pistoling from safety wasn't doing nearly enough damage either.

I just replayed a bit to get single-class Xoti, though, and I'm back at Gorecci now. This does seem way more doable with the extra level (and Xoti's Pillar). The fights I've remembered to turn Eder's shield modal on for have gone way smoother, definitely. It's funny that this game is starting off with so many fights that are hard to set up for—like, my character really wants to get behind people, but the way these thugs are arranged means I have trouble even flanking the split group without setting them off, let alone getting onto the porch. Am I supposed to be waiting for combat and then rogue-dashing behind them?

The thing I'm inexperienced with is actually using Sneak Attacks in these games—Stealth has been such garbage in most Infinity-Engine-likes that I almost always just tank-n-spank with a couple Mages being overpowered on the back line, but I went with a Rogue this time because I'd heard they actually sorta got the Assassin playstyle right. And it feels better so far, and it is fun, but boy these setup is hard. And boy, my character explodes if anyone glances at him, but I asked for that.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Hitting guys for 80 damage outta stealth at level 3 sure does feel good.

Also, worth mentioning, I'm having a lot of fun with this. Like I knew I coulda tried something different when Gorecci wasn't working, but I kept reloading it just to try stuff. I don't have that reaction to these games much, but I'm really enjoying the combat. It feels like I have decisions to make and stuff I could be doing better, which is pretty cool for being level 3.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
You did pick one of the glassier characters out there. It'll get better as you go on and get more options for manipulating invisibility, but I think there's a reason that a lot of people build assassins out to be ranged characters.

Also, abilities used in stealth have quite a bit of their recovery time (85% I think?) shaved off, so if you can get that off even on non-stealthy characters it's worth it.

Last edited:

Burt

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, Gorecci is a hard setup. It seems like it's supposed to be the tutorial for slog zone fights, but I don't think there's another one in the game where your opportunities to get out of the water are so limited.

Regarding getting on the porch, if you enter the zone from the southeast you should be able to get basically on the porch via stealth. If not, you can at least have Eder intercept the second group at the base of the stairs while your other two go up and clean them out. Also, if you aren't feeling pistols, pike modal is life. It has super range so that you can reach over your frontline, and -15 deflection on an enemy is huuuge.

Whew, got the Gorecci guys. That felt earned. This game is good as hell so far.
Congrats, now go to the arena and prepare to

tumblr_lo517nBMi61qzmpuho1_500.gif

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The last DLC pack is probably the best of the bunch, imo, but I just personally don't jive with the mid-story placement in general. It almost makes it diversionary by design, like a post-inclusion filler episode.

That said, it has some nice tie-ins with the events at Berkarna's Observatory, and has an effect on the end of the main game, slightly. Also Tayn and Llengrath have a great dynamic.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Any advice on whether I should be using one or two pistols on my Mindstalker? And with modal/without? I don't think I miss much with him, but accuracy is precious.

Burt

Oct 28, 2017
Any advice on whether I should be using one or two pistols on my Mindstalker? And with modal/without? I don't think I miss much with him, but accuracy is precious.
If you're hitting fine, dual-wielding is the way to go, especially with a Cipher. Modal's a case by case thing, the guide on Gamefaqs Anno dug up is a pretty good reference --

Pistol: the modal gives you a massive recovery time bonus but at a potentially punishing -15 accuracy. Extremely worth using in single-weapon style, but outside of that you have to really evaluate your relative PEN and accuracy. When the accuracy penalty would reduce your ability to crit when you are underpenetrating, or would take you below around 25% chance to hit, you are better off withouth using the modal.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Yeah, that FAQ and the Obsidian forums are a great read if you really, really want to get down into the weeds of the game's math. Definitely not necessary, but pretty fascinating if you like that stuff.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, I played this for 71 hours at launch and finished a playthrough. Always planned to pick up the season pass during the winter sale and do all the DLC content and that time has now come! Is there some nice happy overview of everything added in the DLCs/patches since launch or should I just get to work browsing the DLC pages/patch notes, heh >_>

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Alright, I played this for 71 hours at launch and finished a playthrough. Always planned to pick up the season pass during the winter sale and do all the DLC content and that time has now come! Is there some nice happy overview of everything added in the DLCs/patches since launch or should I just get to work browsing the DLC pages/patch notes, heh >_>

The end of the most recent update has an overview of the major things added to the game since launch. It doesn't really cover specifics of the DLC because that's mostly just new content rather than new systems or base game changes.

PATCH 4.0
Thanks to all the wonderful Watchers who participated in the Beta test, the Deadfire team is proud to release patch 4.0 alongside The Forgotten Sanctum. Check out the full list!

• One additional sub-class per class:
      • Tactician (Fighter)
      • Furyshaper (Barbarian)
      • Debonaire (Rogue)
      • Steel Garrote (Paladin)
      • Arcane Archer (Ranger)
      • Forbidden Fist (Monk)
      • Bellower (Chanter)
      • Priest of Woedica (Priest)
      • Ancient (Druid)
      • Blood Mage (Wizard)
      • Psion (Cipher)
  • Respawning ships on the world map - The ships of the Deadfire will no longer be gone forever once defeated. They'll now respawn, giving you the ability to attack, loot, and take down again.
  • New Magran's Fire Challenges:
    • Ondra's Challenge
      • Storms in the Deadfire are now larger, faster, and occur more frequently.
      • Enemy Captains are increased in rank and travel faster when chasing the Watcher.
    • Wael's Challenge
      • All numbers become ??? with the exception being item count, party character Attributes, Skill, and Level.
    • Woedica's Challenge
      • All Per-Encounter and Class resources become Per Rest.
      • Party Health no longer regenerates outside of combat.
      • While camping, only "Prepared Meals" will recover Injuries and Resources.
  • Two new Mega Bosses
    • The Arcane Savant, Sigilmaster Auranic - Don't judge this megaboss by her size - Auranic may just be the most powerful wizard the Watcher has had the misfortune to face.
    • The Helfire Construct, Dorudugan - This construct comes wreathed in flame and comes crashing down to face any who dare face it.
PRE-PATCH 4.0 UPDATES
Missed some of our last updates, or were waiting to jump back onto the deck of the Defiant after the release of all of our expansions? Check out all of our previous updates to the base game of Deadfire!

• Ability Tree Preview - Thanks to our programming team, the Class Ability Tree can now be viewed outside of the level up screen! This can be done from the Inventory/Character Sheet UI, or when recruiting a new companion.
  • Audio Combat Remixing - Our audio team has remastered in-game combat sounds, resolving a suite of bugs and generally improving the game as per community feedback:
    • Combat Chatter now provides more critical feedback and is easier to understand during combat.
    • Creatures have been tuned to spam sounds less
    • Ability audio has been tuned to react to other sounds (i.e. gets softer when combat chatter is playing)
    • And much more!
  • Character Appearance Changes Anywhere - The ability to change the appearance of your Watcher or a created adventurer any time in-game from the Inventory screen.
  • Intro Skip Added - For those that like to re-roll characters and try different abilities, we now have the ability to skip the intro and bring the player directly to the second area of the game. [Note: this feature becomes available after you have played through the intro once, or loaded a save]
  • Enchanting UI Update - The Enchanting Menu has received a visual re-work. Enchantment progression paths are now much clearer, and it should be easy to tell if a new enchantment will replace or rework an old enchantment.
  • Magran's Fires Challenges - New challenges have been added for players that want a difficult experience with a twist. These challenges can be found by clicking the head of Magran at the bottom of the Title Menu and can now be done on any difficulty in the game. The full list of Challenges:
    • Abydon's Challenge
      • Weapons and Armor now degrade during adventuring.
      • Weapons and Armor can be repaired for a price through the Enchanting Menu.
    • Berath's Challenge
      • Any Knockout that lasts longer than 10 seconds results in death.
      • Combat only ends when all enemies are defeated.
    • Eothas' Challenge
      • Players must complete the game in a certain amount of time.
    • Galawain's Challenge
      • Beasts have random buffs set throughout the game.
    • Hylea's Challenge
      • Vela follows the Watcher around, can't be dismissed, can be targeted by enemies, and if she dies, the game ends.
    • Magran's Challenge
      • No Pause. (exception: Escape)
    • Rymrgand's Challenge
      • Food will start to expire! Foods like hard tack will expire more slowly, but you should still stay vigilant and ensure a supply of fresh food!
    • Skaen's Challenge
      • The Fog of War is greatly reduced around the Player's Character.
      • Torches can help increase the vision area.
  • Nebula - A new community-designed astral bat pet who will periodically grant any one character an inspiration in combat and has a small chance to cast Withdraw or Recall Agony on you if you are Near death or being attacked.
  • New Berath's Blessings
  • New Ranger Abilities (as of v3.0 Patch)
    • Hunter's Claw
    • Hunter's Fang
    • Beast's Claw
    • Bonded Fury
    • Heart Seeker
  • Loaded Pockets - NPC pockets are filled with more and rarer items.
  • Legendary Crew - 3 Veteran Sailors become available in the Kraken's Eye tavern, they are better than normal and cheaper than normal.
  • ...Can I Pet Him Anyway? - Edér can now equip a pet
  • Infamous Past - Gain the Infamous Captain passive ability and live the life of someone who has survived a mutiny.
  • Pre-Made Characters - Characters can now be imported to use on various playthroughs through Deadfire. Characters can be chosen in character creation, or by visiting taverns and recruiting them as Adventurers.
  • Recently Used Spells - Quality of life change for the last 50 spells that have frequently been used to populate easily for the players to choose from.
  • Shroud of the Phantasm - A new community-designed cape. Wearers gain the ability to manifest illusory duplicates and are rarely, if the God of Secrets is watching, struck with bolts of understanding capable of turning the tide of battle.
  • Spell Shaping - Available for Wizard, Druid, Priest, and Chanter classes; this passive ability allows spell casters to adjust the radius of certain AoE spells to increase the power level or area that the spell can reach.
  • Steam Workshop Mod Support - Mods will now be supported through the Steam Workshop page. Check it out to see what unique changes the community is bringing to the world of Eora which you can manage through the added Mod Manager in the Main Menu!
  • Various Balance and Gameplay Improvements - Every update has seen improvements that balance the gameplay experience while also improving performance and other quality of life facets of Deadfire.
  • Pre-Made Characters - Characters can now be imported to use on various playthroughs through Deadfire. Characters can be chosen in character creation, or by visiting taverns and recruiting them as Adventurers.
  • Recently Used Spells - Quality of life change for the last 50 spells that have frequently been used to populate easily for the players to choose from.
  • Shroud of the Phantasm - A new community-designed cape. Wearers gain the ability to manifest illusory duplicates and are rarely, if the God of Secrets is watching, struck with bolts of understanding capable of turning the tide of battle.
  • Spell Shaping - Available for Wizard, Druid, Priest, and Chanter classes; this passive ability allows spell casters to adjust the radius of certain AoE spells to increase the power level or area that the spell can reach.
  • Steam Workshop Mod Support - Mods will now be supported through the Steam Workshop page. Check it out to see what unique changes the community is bringing to the world of Eora which you can manage through the added Mod Manager in the Main Menu!
  • Various Balance and Gameplay Improvements - Every update has seen improvements that balance the gameplay experience while also improving performance and other quality of life facets of Deadfire.
Free DLCs - The Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire team has released a host of free DLC packs to help expand Deadfire even more. There have been five free DLC packs released for Pillars II.

• Critical Role Pack - The world of Critical Role meets Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire with this Critical Role Pack. This DLC adds 8 new player voice sets and character portraits based on characters from the Vox Machina campaign. Let your player character sound like Grog, Keyleth, Percy, Vax, Vex, Scanlan, Pike, or Gilmore!
  • Rum Runners Pack - Whether celebrating your triumphs or nursing the wounds of defeat, it's always a fine time to reward your crew with an extra round of rum rations. The Rum Runner's Pack makes available a six-pack of new libations and adds the recruitable sidekick Mirke to the game, since no Captain should drink alone.
    • Included in this pack:
      • Mirke, a new sidekick.
      • Six new alcohol-themed items added to a merchant in the Deadfire.
      • New Drunken personality setting.
  • Beard and Hair Pack - The Beard and Hair Pack expands the character customization options with new hair styles, beard choices, and a new personality setting. Whether you are making a brand-new party or giving an existing hero a bold new look, this free DLC expands upon the already impressive array of character customization options found in Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire.
    • Included in this pack:
      • Four new hairstyles.
      • Three new beards.
      • New Energetic personality setting.
  • Scalawags Pack - Round out your crew and personalize your flagship with the Scalawags Pack DLC. This Free update adds seven new recruitable crew members to the taverns of the Deadfire and adds a wide array of ship upgrades to many of the shipwrights throughout the Deadfire Archipleago.
    • Included in this pack:
      • Three New Crew Members added to the taverns of the Deadfire Archipelago for you to recruit.
      • Five New Ship Upgrades, including sails, cannon, anchors, and more added to shipwrights throughout the game.
      • New Savage personality setting.
  • The Deck of Many Things Pack - The Deck of Many Things DLC adds a new merchant vessel that sails the high seas of the Deadfire Archipelago. Laden with exotic items from across the far corners of Eora, the Deck of Many Things is open for business, but enterprising buccaneers can try to take the ship's bounty by force.
    • Included in this pack:
      • Adds a new NPC ship 'The Deck of Many Things' to the world map.
      • Purchase a wide array of items, or test your mettle against the ship's defenders, and seize the treasures maliciously.
Megabosses - As an added challenge to those who seek it, Mega Bosses have made their way into the Deadfire. These are end game fights that will test your Watcher's mettle. They are meant for high level parties, so don't expect to be able to tackle them when you first get the Defiant out on the seas of the archipelago. For each Megaboss that is defeated, a Superb Trinket is dropped for the Watcher to obtain.

• Spider Queen, Belranga - Fight now available, along with a new trinket that is awarded to the Watcher if they can take her down.
  • The Colossal Ooze, Hauani O Whe - This colossal Ooze is prepared to face some of the strongest teams that dare brave it!

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The end of the most recent update has an overview of the major things added to the game since launch. It doesn't really cover specifics of the DLC because that's mostly just new content rather than new systems or base game changes.

Great, thanks. Looking forward to getting back into this. Loved how it played so I've been anticipating this dive back in for the DLC :>

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
So, uhhh...

D47127FAED746E9EA12D4CFA13308DB49FC4F177

Saw a couple mentions of it on reddit and as a bug report on the Obsidian boards, but it sounds like they issued another hot fix right afterwards so presumably it was pushed live by mistake.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Seems like maybe something that was supposed to be a surprise inclusion with the console version launch? Sure sounds like a lot of work to make the abilities in Deadfire work in the context of a turn-based system, but I'd be super interested to give it a shot even if I do prefer RT.