• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
GettyImages-1233534678.jpg
Ed Nightingale said:
Many of the internal programmes "almost always default to legal names" according to one QA tester.

Changing the name requires a complex process involving the HR department, but even then programmes often repeatedly reset the names of employees.

"This puts us at risk of randomly being outed as transgender, which is incredibly disrespectful," says QA tester Andrew. "HR is aware of this issue and has supposedly been talking with others to get the issue fixed, but this has been going on for [at least] a year."

Andrew is trans and has "received nothing but respect in regards to [his] gender identity", but not everyone has had that experience.

Billy, another member of the team, requested their teammates address them with they/them pronouns. Those teammates, all male, repeatedly refused.
"[One] squad member made the classic 'joke,' 'I identify as an attack helicopter,' while sitting a few seats down from me," said Billy. "No one said anything to correct it."

When Billy contacted the HR department to request further sensitivity training for all staff, they didn't hear back for months.
Once again, fuck Activision Blizzard. Trans rights are human rights. The key points are in the quote, with the rest of the article being in the link below.

Source: PinkNews

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BUT MUH DIABLO 2 REMAKE!!!11
aND Me bOYcoTTinG tHEm woN't hELp em!!11

Fuck that shithole of a company and all those assholes deadnaming people

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Y'all should have been boycotting these fuckers after they showed that they'd sacrifice their own fans for the CCP

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Just an FYI here, non-binary folk aren't always trans, and vice versa. So this might not be only a trans rights issue here.

I will never, ever understand why it is so hard to just stfu and use the correct pronoun. It costs you the most miniscule amount of effort for something that will make a person not feel shit.

Y'all should have been boycotting these fuckers after they showed that they'd sacrifice their own fans for the CCP
We were.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
absolutely disgusting

when are we going to get Activision Blizzard (and I'd argue Activision too) banned from Era like CDPR?

oh and in case people in the back couldn't hear

TRANS RIGHTS ARE HUMAN RIGHTS

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting angle with this story is that it may be particularly relevant to the legal case, since it's specifically about company policies as written, rather than about individual behaviour.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I will say that changing the name of an individual in the system of a large company can be tough. Whether that be because that person is changing their last name due to marriage or changing their identity. I know even at our company that it involves a lengthy process and many people involved, and even if you respond as fast as possible it can take weeks.

That doesn't mean it shouldn't be done quickly or that something else isn't going on here. We always make it a priority to change someone's name when they request it, as it's core to their identity.

And I don't want to give this company any benefit of the doubt, because fuuuuuck them.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
ERA Staff: We can't ban/limit discussion for every company.

When is it enough? srsly. And while we are at it Ubisoft should have been added to limited discussion as well since nothing changed there too.

~Edited my post a bit to make it less aggressive.~

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
absolutely disgusting

when are we going to get Activision Blizzard (and I'd argue Activision too) banned from Era like CDPR?

Activision Blizzard covers the entire company, not just one or the other (which would be saying Activision or Blizzard). You didn't have to do the parenthesis.

But yes, trans rights are human rights. Anyone who thinks otherwise can go fuck themselves.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
I'm sure it isn't a super easy task, but there has to be a way to update these programmes to allow for a gender/pronoun update. There was a similar issue where I work where some patients were being dead named or referred to as the wrong gender after their transition because of their medical records never being updated, but our system was updated recently to allow for a change for these patients.

Fuck those coworkers hard for that attack helicopter bullshit though, that level of apathy has no place in the work place, and all this shit does is reinforce the type of culture the company is in trouble for to begin with. Can only hope all of this lights a fuse in the industry to clean house in some ways, no reason for employees to have to go through all this shit these acti/blizz people have gone through.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Activision Blizzard covers the entire company, not just one or the other (which would be saying Activision or Blizzard). You didn't have to do the parenthesis.

But yes, trans rights are human rights. Anyone who thinks otherwise can go fuck themselves.
Oh ok, my mistake. I assumed Activision Blizzard meant just the studio itself, not the entire company

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Quality of games decreasing.
Focus on mobile predatory freemium games for chinese markets.
Bowing down to chinese money.
Censoring and restricting eSports players.
Harassing women.
Deadnaming trans people.
200million $ a year in stock bonuses Kotick style.

I just don't understand how they get away with it and why people's attention span is apparently 10 seconds. How can we ever strife for a better world if they can do whatever they want and money rules the world fueled by mindless consumption.

Jun 30, 2021
I am divided on this, the things this company has done is deplorable and yes they should be boycotted, HOWEVER I come to think as well we are hurting people that have no hand in this and either have been victims or have been not effected by this what so ever however a boycott and low sales could/would hurt them and potentially they may lose their job this their livelihood and income which may lead to even worse things.
So I'm divided in the sense of scream and shout and make your voice heard that what they have done will have serious consequences, but I worry about people who were not part of this losing their jobs as well who may be in a worse position after this as well. I dont know man.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
I will say that changing the name of an individual in the system of a large company can be tough. Whether that be because that person is changing their last name due to marriage or changing their identity. I know even at our company that it involves a lengthy process and many people involved, and even if you respond as fast as possible it can take weeks.

That doesn't mean it shouldn't be done quickly or that something else isn't going on here. We always make it a priority to change someone's name when they request it, as it's core to their identity.

And I don't want to give this company any benefit of the doubt, because fuuuuuck them.

DW Bobby will fix it any day now together with Yves from Ubisoft.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
With the kind of culture Acti-Blizz has according the suit and people speaking out, this is to be expected. Good that this also is brought into light, it's important that this is adressed internally too. People should feel safe and accepted in a workplace, the harassers should be kicked the fuck out obviously and not be accepted.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i hope this is not an insensitive thing to say and that i'm not going too far out of my lane now, but to me activision blizzard is on the same level as cdpr and i wish this forum has policies for their products similar to the policies that were had for cyberpunk. fuck activision and all the misogyny and transphobia in this industry

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am divided on this, the things this company has done is deplorable and yes they should be boycotted, HOWEVER I come to think as well we are hurting people that have no hand in this and either have been victims or have been not effected by this what so ever however a boycott and low sales could/would hurt them and potentially they may lose their job this their livelihood and income which may lead to even worse things.
So I'm divided in the sense of scream and shout and make your voice heard that what they have done will have serious consequences, but I worry about people who were not part of this losing their jobs as well who may be in a worse position after this as well. I dont know man.
They just gave Kotick a 155 million Dollar BONUS for just a year. Imagine how many people you could pay for a year with that money.
They constantly fire people, even if they make record revenue.
People can't even buy the food from their cafeteria.

The money they make flows upwards and the only language these pissants speak is money.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's an indictment of this forum that we claim to stand for progress but allow hype threads for this company.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This company is a fucking trash heap. They are a huge company, there's no excuse for not being able to properly accommodate people safely

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Just an FYI here, non-binary folk aren't always trans, and vice versa. So this might not be only a trans rights issue here.

I will never, ever understand why it is so hard to just stfu and use the correct pronoun. It costs you the most miniscule amount of effort for something that will make a person not feel shit.
"Because it is my rights to only acknowledge men and women". That's the bullshit I hear when I ask some family members to use the correct pronouns when talking of famous trans people. They even continue deadnaming them.

Fuck Activision Blizzard. It is shameful people still insist on hyping their shit because "my games", or "you will be also hurting other employees".

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I don't understand why it would be a complex process internally to change someone's name. Sounds like they didn't really give a fuck and barely tried.

Jun 30, 2021
They just gave Kotick a 155 million Dollar BONUS for just a year. Imagine how many people you could pay for a year with that money.
They constantly fire people, even if they make record revenue.
People can't even buy the food from their cafeteria.

The money they make flows upwards and the only language these pissants speak is money.
I get that sadly thats being in a position of power and was the contract he signed I believe to turn the company around, does it suck? Absolutely, but then you may as well complain about every company in the world where the ceo, owners etc make the most money and you may as well ban everything from your life and live in a homestead and be a farmer because it happens in every majoy coorpoation or business you may like or purchase from. Im thinking about the little guy/gal here, Kotick is not on my agenda

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

I was going off of the original title of the article, but I've since sent a request to the mods to update the title.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
mental gymnastics to justify your d2 purchase reads like parody at this point.
do whatever you want, just don't pretend you care about any of this.

Nov 4, 2017
You've got to be an incredibly small, pathetic, heartless piece of human garbage to not extend the basic human decency of using a person's name and pronouns.

I already threw Activision Blizzard in the trash, but I'll be sure to put a kilo of my dog's unbagged business on top.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
That HR division was sleeping at the wheel.

At this point it sounds like a platitude to say because it needs to be said so many times : HR isn't your ally as a worker. They exist to defend the company. They're there to help contain stories. That HR department worked wonders, considering what they're there for.

I'm sure it isn't a super easy task, but there has to be a way to update these programmes to allow for a gender/pronoun update. There was a similar issue where I work where some patients were being dead named or referred to as the wrong gender after their transition because of their medical records never being updated, but our system was updated recently to allow for a change for these patients.
I don't understand why it would be a complex process internally to change someone's name. Sounds like they didn't really give a fuck and barely tried.

Doesn't surprise me in the least, not trying to equate it because it's not remotely the same but just to show how shitty these systems are, I know at least 3 people who work in different places that have like two family names, like say Smith-Johnson. But on their company profile it says Johnson-Smith, after years of employment. Changing it is apparently too much of a pain for the companies. It leads to many issues in regards to documents and everything.

Companies can't be assed to call you by your name, they don't give a shit about genders. It's the kind of thing that is really telling. Respecting pronouns is not hard. Calling people by their name is not hard. Respecting genders is not hard.

Damn

Jul 1, 2020
What a garbage company. I hope these articles keep coming out and exposing the seemingly limitless amount of toxicity going on and dip the stock price enough that real action is taken. Trans rights are human rights and everyone deserves dignity.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
At this point it sounds like a platitude to say because it needs to be said so many times : HR isn't your ally as a worker. They exist to defend the company. They're there to help contain stories. That HR department worked wonders, considering what they're there for.

Doesn't surprise me in the least, not trying to equate it because it's not remotely the same but just to show how shitty these systems are, I know at least 3 people who work in different places that have like two family names, like say Smith-Johnson. But on their company profile it says Johnson-Smith, after years of employment. Changing it is apparently too much of a pain for the companies. It leads to many issues in regards to documents and everything.

If companies can't be assed to call you by your actual name, doesn't surprise me they don't give a shit about genders. It's the kind of thing that is really telling.
I know HR is a company apparatus. But even most HR divisions are not this awful.

They already failed the legal test. HR is liability shield for companies and now they getting sued by the state.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
So what consumers do doesn't matter but also if consumers don't buy the game it could be bad for some unknown portion of the dev team. Which is it.

My brain isn't clouded by nostalgia, I haven't cared about anything Blizzard's put out since Blackthorne on SNES so it's pretty dang easy for me to just fuck them, I'm never buying anything from them. Activision, Blizzard, ActiBlizzard, real easy to avoid.

Silencio

Oct 25, 2017
I was really excited for the D2 Remake, I have so much nostalgia for that game but ActiBlizzard are dead to me now. Fuck them.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's hard, for sure. Unfortunately, from our end, I can't see a way for us to send a message to Activision-Blizzard that we don't agree with this that doesn't involve playing their games. But we do have other means of supporting victims, be it with donations, making their voices heard, and/or discussing the situations at length. Companies need to know we do not agree with what they're doing. That's why I don't believe still buying their games will result in anything.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
absolutely disgusting

It's ridiculous CDPR gets banned but Activision Blizzard and Ubisoft games are still gucci to talk about. Utter nonsense.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
It has to be doable. I don't know the difficulties of updating a program to allow for a change like that, so I won't speak on that, but if rinky-dink clinics can get it done, I'm sure a multi-million company has the means to act on this for the sake of their staff. Unfortunately, as others have pointed out, they seemingly didn't care to update this, and actively don't care for their transgendered/non-binary staff.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
The larger the company, the more difficult. When we have to change someone's name we have to notify probably 5 or so divisions and they all have to do something as there are different departments and department heads.

1. Quality Leader needs to know, to update their internals
2. Payroll Leader needs to know, to update tax information. They sometimes have to reach out to the individual to ask if they've legally changed their name so it will match records.
3. (Local) Team Leader needs to know, to update their sheets.
4. HR needs to know so that they can update their personal file to have a record.
5. Their local team needs to know. This is up to the individual who is changing their identity on how they want to do this. This is less "official", but still needs to be done and acknowledged to avoid any future issues.

And I'm not saying it can't and shouldn't be easier. But it isn't a priority at the moment at a large companies to change these systems. It should be. And the situation sucks. Just providing some first hand background on how difficult and time consuming it can be. You have to make sure every single piece of information with that person's name on it is changed, confirmed, and validated, and many times it's not as simple as delete-and-paste.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get that sadly thats being in a position of power and was the contract he signed I believe to turn the company around, does it suck? Absolutely, but then you may as well complain about every company in the world where the ceo, owners etc make the most money and you may as well ban everything from your life and live in a homestead and be a farmer because it happens in every majoy coorpoation or business you may like or purchase from. Im thinking about the little guy/gal here, Kotick is not on my agenda
Jesus fucking christ. I'm sick of this "argument".
For shit like this, there is this comic being made

Captitalism sucks and people getting abused constantly doesn't mean we all can get away from these problems and should just shrug and continue throwing our money at them. So much shit is being made in China and if I need a new phone, guess what, it will come from China. I can't avoid it or if there are ways to avoid it, it costs too much for a lot of people.
Same with cloth, same with a lot of food. We are talking about A COMPANY out of many out there that is creating just games. FUCKING GAMES. And we have the choice to support them with their awful shit or not.