• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
D7vr4mhXoAgfjIh.jpg:large

D7vr4wEXsAAKzI-.jpg:large

So in Disney-Pixar's upcoming film Onward, two elf brothers voiced by Tom Holland and Chris Pratt, "go out on an adventure to see if there's a little magic left in that world," director and writer Dan Scanlon tells PEOPLE in this week's issue.

PEOPLE's exclusive first look at the animated movie shows Pratt, 39, as the boisterous older brother, Holland, 22, as the gawky, more reserved younger sibling and Julia Louis-Dreyfus as the teens' mom.

Update:

Poster and trailer tonight

D7WdZ12UwAA6ZVy

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
After falling in love with Spiderverse it's hard to be particularly moved by this aesthetic. Wish more studios would push the medium beyond photoreal lighting/materials. In for JLD though

Deleted member 22649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't want any road trip movies that don't include a deep-voiced dude extolling the virtues of Cup Noodles.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After falling in love with Spiderverse it's hard to be particularly moved by this aesthetic. Wish more studios would push the medium beyond photoreal lighting/materials. In for JLD though
Pixar does this though. They use 3D of course, but they invoke a wide variety of styles.

Oct 25, 2017
For a movie in a fantasy setting, it sure does look generic.

Excited to see JLD land her (first?) animated roll. Love her.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
It's Pixar, so day one.

Getting dubious pop-ups from that link though (congrats! You won a Samsung Galaxy 10!),

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this will be wack

Only Pixar movie I'm interested right now is Pete Doctors sign language film.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I loved Coco despite not being moved by the aesthetic at all in what they initially showed so im willing to wait and see on this one.

Granted these days Im only ever interested in Pixar's visuals when they lean into the muppet-y aspects of their general aesthetic (like some of the designs in Monsters University, Inside Out and the recent business short they put out)

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Sketchy director and sketchy visuals...

...but it's an original Pixar so I'm on board. At worst it's The Good Dinosaur quality which was a sweet movie with its moments.

Oct 26, 2017
Pixar does this though. They use 3D of course, but they invoke a wide variety of styles.

There are outliers but looking at the catalogue I can't say that any one film takes as drastic a stylistic/rendering departure as Spiderverse. I guess I wish they didn't reserve their more experimental side for their shorts (Day & Night, Sanjay, their YouTube shorts series, etc).

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017

Pixar is better off than Disney since 90% of their movies aren't just using 3D Glen Keane as a base but the rendering style is mostly consistent. Regardless of art direction if the character has hair/skin/fur etc they'll shoot for a relatively realistic simulation of that. Incredibles 2 is the only film that comes to mind where they kind of pushed it into a slightly painterly aesthetic.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pixar is better off than Disney since 90% of their movies aren't just using 3D Glen Keane as a base but the rendering style is mostly consistent. Regardless of art direction if the character has hair/skin/fur etc they'll shoot for a relatively realistic simulation of that. Incredibles 2 is the only film that comes to mind where they kind of pushed it into a slightly painterly aesthetic.
Inside Out was very much like an old fashioned 2D animation.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
The character designs for Inside Out are fantastic and have that cool ethereal fuzzy look (id prefer the eyes were cartoonier instead of having that generic vaguely real look but whatever), but the actual sets inside the head still use realistic materials and lighting despite the surreal architecture and landscapes

Deleted member 48205

Banned
Sep 30, 2018
Inside Out and Coco were above average for sure, but compared to the Ratatouille>Wall-E>Up>Toy Story 3 run? Not a chance bud

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not crazy enough to imply that Pixar has "bad" or "lazy" art direction just that there is limit to how far they're willing to stylize. Even in Inside Out the more cartoony emotions are still wearing realistically rendered cable knit sweaters like the humans outside.
inside-out-disneyscreencaps.com-1425.jpg

inside-out-disneyscreencaps.com-1344.jpg

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not crazy enough to imply that Pixar has "bad" or "lazy" art direction just that there is limit to how far they're willing to stylize. Even in Inside Out the more cartoony emotions are still wearing realistically rendered cable knit sweaters like the humans outside.
inside-out-disneyscreencaps.com-1425.jpg

inside-out-disneyscreencaps.com-1344.jpg
Oh, yeah if you're looking for them to literally change their style into a completely new medium they probably won't do that. But I think that request is a little unrealistic.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
That summary is burying the lede a tad.

The last summary they released said the brothers are looking for magic
"in order to spend one day with their father, who died when they were too young to remember him. "

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017

"in order to spend one day with their father, who died when they were too young to remember him. "
Pixar's take on Fullmetal Alchemist.

Oh, yeah if you're looking for them to literally change their style into a completely new medium they probably won't do that. But I think that request is a little unrealistic.
Of course. Its just a little sad that Pixar set the industry standard for the look of 3D animation 24 years ago and no one is really pushing it forward that dramatically except for Spider-Verse.

Deleted member 48205

Banned
Sep 30, 2018
98cc5e8b18300d71586ae584c702b607c7396cca27364f3f1a32651979ab8e24.jpg

Up is the Stripes of animated movies. No body remembers what happens in that film after the opening. Inside Out and Coco are way stronger films.
lol I love the Stripes comparison. I agree that's it's not on the same level as the other three but I still like it a lot more than Inside Out and Coco. Feels like something's missing in their work since Toy Story 3. Can't put my finger on it but they're just not as good as they used to, aside from the animation itself of course

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Inside Out and Coco were above average for sure, but compared to the Ratatouille>Wall-E>Up>Toy Story 3 run? Not a chance bud

I don't want to sit here and pretend like those films are bad, but they're a bit overrated in my opinion. I'll take The Incredibles, Brave, and Coco any day over those films, the best of which are Ratatouille and Up, and all of which save for Ratatoullie drag a bit, in my opinion.

Coco is so fucking tight and has the best art and music of any of Pixar's films, by far.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Is the dad not actually dead and the dad's soul stuck in the Dragon then?

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But its not a new medium, Spiderverse is still (mostly) cgi. It would be cool to see more studios try radically different things like that, or that paperman short from a while ago.