• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
I gotta say, i thought i would miss my iphone but so far, i like my 3 xl. After using hide nav bar and the oneplus gestures, it feels like a sweet phone. but my only gripe is that ugly notch, its way too deep.

I'll give it a few more days before i decide if i switch back to the XS max

crazy monkey

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I gotta say, i thought i would miss my iphone but so far, i like my 3 xl. After using hide nav bar and the oneplus gestures, it feels like a sweet phone. but my only gripe is that ugly notch, its way too deep.

Xs max is a better phone. Even note 9 is.

NightOnyx

Oct 25, 2017

I love my 3 XL. I'm not missing my old iPhone or iOS at all. I don't hide the notch and honestly, I really don't notice it anymore. I'm glad people can hide it if they want, but it really doesn't bother me in the slightest. I also don't mind the gestures and again I've gotten so used to them that I don't really give it much thought anymore. It's been a very smooth experience, I think the phone feels and looks great, and everything is performing very well. The battery life has been pretty solid as well. Of course, I'm coming from an old iPhone with a bad battery, so it's a big improvement for me. The camera though is something else, I'm blown away by the pictures I can take with this thing. So yeah, I'm very happy with my purchase and I'm glad I made the switch.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017

How do I get the one plus gestures? I really dislike how opening the app drawer and switching between apps works now. It feels like more work tbh, like it wasn't tested.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
I love my 3 XL. I'm not missing my old iPhone or iOS at all. I don't hide the notch and honestly, I really don't notice it anymore. I'm glad people can hide it if they want, but it really doesn't bother me in the slightest. I also don't mind the gestures and again I've gotten so used to them that I don't really give it much thought anymore. It's been a very smooth experience, I think the phone feels and looks great, and everything is performing very well. The battery life has been pretty solid as well. Of course, I'm coming from an old iPhone with a bad battery, so it's a big improvement for me. The camera though is something else, I'm blown away by the pictures I can take with this thing. So yeah, I'm very happy with my purchase and I'm glad I made the switch.

I dont actually hide the notch, only the nav bar, you get all that screen room if you hide it and use oneplus gestures. It makes a world of difference for me

Oct 27, 2017

Are the OnePlus gestures much better (on par with iOS 12)? Because the google gestures are just bad. How can they be so good at some software (camera) and so horrible at others.

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty much where I'm at. Coming from a Pixel XL it's been a pretty smooth experience and nice upgrade.

TheBigToe

Apr 30, 2018
So my package arrived today..with no phone in the box. There's clear cut marks around where the tape was, so its obvious that it was stolen. I've been dealing with both Google and Fedex for the past hour and half. Hope you all are enjoying your pixel 3 lol.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So my package arrived today..with no phone in the box. There's clear cut marks around where the tape was, so its obvious that it was stolen. I've been dealing with both Google and Fedex for the past hour and half. Hope you all are enjoying your pixel 3 lol.
that's awful.

hopefully they can get that resolved swiftly.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Aw man...that's horrific!

I remember when I purchased a phone and opened the box when I got home and it was the dummy plastic display phone in the box lol

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Asking here because it's probably easier to get an answer. I have a Pixel 2 with Project Fi and I am paying for the device protection. Today I dropped it and cracked the back glass and I am thinking of calling in my device protection to get it fixed. Do they just swap phones when you do this or do you have to take it somewhere to get it fixed and they reimburse the cost?

Oct 25, 2017
My 2 came in the mail today after a second delivery attempt. Didn't know Google and FedEx were so strict about shipping. Couldn't pick it up and have them leave it, I had to be here during the day to sign for it period.

Regular Pixels are big. Surprisingly so. Couldn't imagine using an XL.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Asking here because it's probably easier to get an answer. I have a Pixel 2 with Project Fi and I am paying for the device protection. Today I dropped it and cracked the back glass and I am thinking of calling in my device protection to get it fixed. Do they just swap phones when you do this or do you have to take it somewhere to get it fixed and they reimburse the cost?
I don't know the specifics, but I signed up for the protection today and it said you would be given a replacement phone if you used the plan.

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
Replaced my S7 with the 3 XL and I'm loving it so far. The notch sucked in the beginning but I barely notice it now. The camera on this thing is godlike. I wish it had 4k video though.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Any good screen protectors?

I had to turn that notch off. I've had all 3 phones and keep coming back for the camera and plain Android but that notch. Phew.

Here's hoping 4th times the charm.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how Google who wrote the codes and build hardware make a worse OS experience than One Plus. Pixel 3 stuttered and load apps constantly compare to my One Plus 6. I never have to close anything on One Plus 6 and it never slow down or struggle to load.

OP
OP
GK86

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how Google who wrote the codes and build hardware make a worse OS experience than One Plus. Pixel 3 stuttered and load apps constantly compare to my One Plus 6. I never have to close anything on One Plus 6 and it never slow down or struggle to load.

It is their battery optimization that is aggressively closing apps.

Go to Apps > Advanced > Special App access > Battery optimization.

Click on the apps you use the most and select the 'Don't optimize' option. That has helped me out since I made the switch.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
There's already been a bug reported to Google for apps having to refresh prematurely. Sounds like there is a memory leak that I'm sure Google will address soon enough. Hang in there, or just use your One Plus 6, sounds like it's working great for you.

Edit: Or what GK mentioned above :)

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
That's almost certainly the 4GB of RAM vs. the 6/8.
Whatever the reason it's pretty embarrassing for a flagship phone costing almost double the price. At this point if I didn't promise someone my OP6;I would switch back. The camera might be great but it's not worth the trade off. I use my camera a lot but I interact with my phone way more and this constant stutter just really ruin the experience.

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
Whatever the reason it's pretty embarrassing for a flagship phone costing almost double the price. At this point if I didn't promise someone my OP6;I would switch back. The camera might be great but it's not worth the trade off. I use my camera a lot but I interact with my phone way more and this constant stutter just really ruin the experience.

The insufficient RAM (and the notch) is exactly why I didn't upgrade from the Pixel XL to the Pixel 3 XL. Gotta hope I can keep that baby going another year, in the hopes that they fix it all in 2019.

My Pixel XL's battery has gotten pretty bad, though, so I'm skeptical.

OP
OP
GK86

GK86

Oct 25, 2017

Return the pixel and pay the restocking fee and just buy the OP6T when it goes on sale.

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Return the pixel and pay the restocking fee and just buy the OP6T when it goes on sale.
I am considering it. I am still annoy about One Plus not sticking to their gun and keep the 3.5 jack, but whey should they when they could make more money selling wireless earbuds and save money on parts and all the big guys are doing it.

Last edited:

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Got my cheap case from China today.... Now I only need the phone that goes into it lol

I didn't realize before that the Pixel 3 is pretty much the same size as the iPhone 7? For some reason I always through it was bigger... Not that I mind since I don't like big phones.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There are a lot of BOGO verizon pixel 3s floating on ebay. If I were to get a pixel 3 second hand would I still qualify for the unlimited google photos back up? Feel like I can snag one for around $700 for a 64GB version. Also are there any risk to buying one of these phones. I assume they would be unlocked but I'm afraid if the seller switches carriers or stops paying there bill my phone will be black listed. This has happened to me before buying off craigslist. Anyone have any idea if this could happen with verizon. I would think not since you have to pay up front for both phones but any advice would be appreciated.

Friend Besto

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else not a big fan of how the power button feels? There's a lot of give when I press it but no feedback unlike the volume buttons which click nice.

Knight77

Oct 25, 2017
Question: yesterday (early afternoon) Google took the money from the credit card for the XL I booked days ago. Now I keep on checking the original booking link page and looks like they have not yet shipped it, generally how long does it takes to ship it after they charge the credit card? BTW I'm in Italy and it should ship from Ireland - if I got it right.
The estimate delivery date is 31st October - 2nd November and I hope I can get it tomorrow (almost impossible I would say now) since on 2nd I should leave for some days of holidays...

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Question: yesterday (early afternoon) Google took the money from the credit card for the XL I booked days ago. Now I keep on checking the original booking link page and looks like they have not yet shipped it, generally how long does it takes to ship it after they charge the credit card? BTW I'm in Italy and it should ship from Ireland - if I got it right.
The estimate delivery date is 31st October - 2nd November and I hope I can get it tomorrow (almost impossible I would say now) since on 2nd I should leave for some days of holidays...

Germany here, my CC was booked too for the regular Pixel 3, actually, i got info on saturday about that even. Also no update on the order page at the Google Store, only thing that changed was that i can't alter or cancel the order anymore.

mauaus

Oct 25, 2017
Been enjoying my Pixel 3XL since Saturday, no problems as of yet, I missed the camera (went from 2XL to Note 9 and back to P3XL). Absolutely awesome camera :D

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017

Sorry to quote you again, i just had an update on my orders detail page on the Google Store ... delivery is delayed, shows no estimated date of arrival anymore ...

Google, how can a globally operating behemoth like you be so fucking bad at everything hardware and everything outside of the US.

E: When you try to make a new Pixel 3 order, it shows "shipped until November 5th" ...

Knight77

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to quote you again, i just had an update on my orders detail page on the Google Store ... delivery is delayed, shows no estimated date of arrival anymore ...

Google, how can a globally operating behemoth like you be so fucking bad at everything hardware and everything outside of the US.

E: When you try to make a new Pixel 3 order, it shows "shipped until November 5th" ...

Well me too... I mean "I just had an update on my orders detail page on the Google Store ... delivery is delayed, shows no estimated date of arrival anymore ..."

WTF now what? Or even better "When???"

Fletcher

Oct 25, 2017
While listening to spotify through my headphones, how do I make it so the music isn't lowered everytime I receive a notification?

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So my provided called me the other to tell me my Pixel 3 had arrived at the store but that they won't be able to activate it before Thrusday (Nov 1 is offcial release date in Canada apparently).

This is officialy an upgrade since my iPhone 7 contract just ended a few weeks ago. Now I remember, back when I got the pre-order in, they told me that they would do the transfer between the two phones in store while activating it. Originally I was planning on trading in my old phone to get credits toward the new one but I won't do that anymore.

How far do they actually have to go in store to activate the new phone? Basically I'd prefer to do the transfer between the two phones at home by myself instead of having them do it in store.... Do you actually need to login to your Google account on the new phone before they can activate it? My google account uses a 30 character long Longpass' generated password AND 2 factor so this would be a giant pain to do in store (I don't even know if I could access my Lastpass and two factor if I'm in the middle of transfering phones?)

Speaking of Two-Factor... Is there an easy way to transfer a Google Authenticator "profile" from one phone to another? I have maybe 10 2FA setups in my Google Auth app on iOS and I'd love to not have to disable the 2FA on all those accounts and then re-setup them on my new Android phone.... There must be a better way to do that right?

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
Speaking of Two-Factor... Is there an easy way to transfer a Google Authenticator "profile" from one phone to another? I have maybe 10 2FA setups in my Google Auth app on iOS and I'd love to not have to disable the 2FA on all those accounts and then re-setup them on my new Android phone.... There must be a better way to do that right?
This is why Authy is preferred over Google Auth. Last time I checked, there's no way to move them over with GA.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
This is why Authy is preferred over Google Auth. Last time I checked, there's no way to move them over with GA.
Ah, never heard of it. We use Okta at work and thats the only other one I know.

Speaking of Okta... It has a push notification feature which is fucking great. From experience, is there a lot of sites that I could get push notifications by using Okta (or maybe authy if it supports it?) instead of using GA?

Last edited:

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
How far do they actually have to go in store to activate the new phone? Basically I'd prefer to do the transfer between the two phones at home by myself instead of having them do it in store.... Do you actually need to login to your Google account on the new phone before they can activate it? My google account uses a 30 character long Longpass' generated password AND 2 factor so this would be a giant pain to do in store (I don't even know if I could access my Lastpass and two factor if I'm in the middle of transfering phones?)
I don't know how it works in Canada, but in the US I didn't even have to go to the store. I just popped the SIM out of my old phone and into my new one. There is no reason you would have to log in to your Google account to activate the phone.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Echoing the poster above, I just had to swap SIMs then connect the old and new phones with the provided adapter and it took about 30 minutes to transfer everything over (including 40GB of music). No in-store activation.

(You do need to log in to any Google accounts you're transferring over, so you'll need to have wifi on both phones.)