• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Nah, I'm good.

Had a Pixel at launch and loved it. Went all in and even use Google Fi for service. Right about when the phone was thisclose to being paid off, the native camera app shit the bed entirely -- I could not take video footage without the phone having a breakdown. This was a no-go as I need that feature for work. Google's tech support is also completely outsourced and useless, and the troubleshooting measures I searched high and low for didn't work.

Backed into a corner and needing a video camera, I got the Pixel 2 at launch, even though I had no desire for a new phone -- just a working camera. Google gave me a pittance for my perfect-condition original Pixel. Had to wait a few weeks for the case I wanted to come out, and the screen on the Pixel 2 -- which is apparently made of fucking wax -- got scratched to shit. This is literally the only phone I've ever owned that has received a single scratch. It got said scratches from the horror of being in my pocket. By itself. On cotton.

The kicker? The native camera app still shits the bed when I try to record video footage. I use Open Camera now; had I known it existed a few months ago, I wouldn't be $485 in debt to Google.

I want to love the Google hardware/software ecosystem, but Google makes it exceptionally hard to do so.

Oct 25, 2017
The prices for this are incredibly off-putting. I swore I wouldn't touch a Samsung phone again because of the bloatware, but the S9 is currently going on Amazon for over €300 less than the Pixel 3. That's a lot of money for clean Android and good photos.
the s9 camera is pretty shitty for how "good" it's meant to be. despite the crazy specs my s9+ is also still a juddery mess which i presume is because of samsung's shithouse software. It also can't be understated how crappy bixby is and how it's filth permeates through the whole phone.

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
Why do you think that?

There are a million little annoyances that didn't exist before and downgrades for no reason.

It used to be that when you tapped on the "WiFi" or "Bluetooth" icons in the quick launch bar it took you to intermediate settings windows that let you see all available networks / devices and quickly pick one and get back to what you were doing. Or you could tap and just turn the entire function on or off.

Now you can only turn the function on or off or go to the full settings application where you need to click through options to get what you want.

The entire Pie experience is infuriating and worse. Pie also broke Bluetooth on the Pixel 2 XL. Finally, the changes for phones with notches are very annoying. Why can't I see all my fucking notifications at once!?

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks. That's fucking stupid.

Also, anyone noticing that YouTube embeds are suddenly much cooler looking? Mousing over the channel icon (which I think is new?) near the title of the video now shows the channel details.

yO3pd1R.gif

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
No headphone jack and insane pricing. Another post-Nexus Google phone I have no choice but to skip.
Same... So disappointing

I guess I'll try to hold on to my phone for another year... Maybe they'll finally get their hardware design right with the 4. Though by then we'll probably end up paying $1200

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Notice the location of the power and volume buttons, the image is centered closer to the notch and not the bottom bezel. This shows it's just a software issue and not a hardware issue caused by the notch.
Well yeah, no way that would be a hardware issue unless the bottom bezel was that thick which isn't not. Will be fixed no doubt just a dumb current situation.

NightOnyx

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still unsure what I want to upgrade to. I'm still rocking an iPhone 6, and was looking forward to finally upgrading this year, but neither the iPhone or the Pixel have wowed me as much as I would hope. I definitely need to upgrade though, my iPhone 6 is getting pretty slow and the battery is complete garbage right now. I would say I'm probably leaning toward the regular Pixel 3. It's more expensive than I would like, but it seems like a solid phone. I really don't need a giant phone, and a regular Pixel 3 is already a step up in size compared to my iPhone 6. I'm also not a fan of the notch on either the XL or the new iPhone's. I do like iOS, I'm very used to it, but that would be the main reason to get an iPhone, and I don't think it's worth the extra $200.

I know the iPhone XR is coming out soon and I'm probably going to wait to see how the screen reviews on that, but I have a hard time spending that much money on a phone without an OLED. Also, it has a notch as well, which again I'm not a big fan of. I do like the colors though, I'd love a red one. Staying with iOS is appealing though, so I'm going to hold off until I get a better impression of how good the XR really is before I buy anything, but as of now I'm thinking a Pixel 3 will be my next phone.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still unsure what I want to upgrade to. I'm still rocking an iPhone 6, and was looking forward to finally upgrading this year, but neither the iPhone or the Pixel have wowed me as much as I would hope. I definitely need to upgrade though, my iPhone 6 is getting pretty slow and the battery is complete garbage right now. I would say I'm probably leaning toward the regular Pixel 3. It's more expensive than I would like, but it seems like a solid phone. I really don't need a giant phone, and a regular Pixel 3 is already a step up in size compared to my iPhone 6. I'm also not a fan of the notch on either the XL or the new iPhone's. I do like iOS, I'm very used to it, but that would be the main reason to get an iPhone, and I don't think it's worth the extra $200.

I know the iPhone XR is coming out soon and I'm probably going to wait to see how the screen reviews on that, but I have a hard time spending that much money on a phone without an OLED. Also, it has a notch as well, which again I'm not a big fan of. Staying with iOS is appealing though, so I'm going to hold off until I get a better impression of how good the XR really is before I buy anything, but as of now I'm thinking a Pixel 3 will be my next phone.
Pay $30 and replace your battery and upgrade to iOS 12. Phone fixed!

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

I know the iPhone XR is coming out soon and I'm probably going to wait to see how the screen reviews on that, but I have a hard time spending that much money on a phone without an OLED. Also, it has a notch as well, which again I'm not a big fan of. I do like the colors though, I'd love a red one. Staying with iOS is appealing though, so I'm going to hold off until I get a better impression of how good the XR really is before I buy anything, but as of now I'm thinking a Pixel 3 will be my next phone.
If you're using an iPhone 6 I don't know how you wouldn't be wowed by an iPhone XS. It's an incredible upgrade and the camera is also amazing with the new smart HDR. I wouldn't buy an XR because as you say it doesn't have OLED and the display just won't be that great.

NightOnyx

Oct 25, 2017
Pay $30 and replace your battery and upgrade to iOS 12. Phone fixed!

I've thought about that, but I'm ready to move on form the iPhone 6, I want a better display and a better camera. I know there are other alternatives out there than just the iPhone and the Pixel though, so I'm still doing my research. I like a lot of the A.I. improvements that the Pixel has. As someone that gets multiple spam calls every day, the screen calling feature seems pretty awesome.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I've thought about that, but I'm ready to move on form the iPhone 6, I want a better display and a better camera. I know there are other alternatives out there than just the iPhone and the Pixel though, so I'm still doing my research. I like a lot of the A.I. improvements that the Pixel has. As someone that gets multiple spam calls every day, the screen calling feature seems pretty awesome.
What about a used X. I'd say used Pixel 2 series but they seem a bit pricey.

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018
the s9 camera is pretty shitty for how "good" it's meant to be. despite the crazy specs my s9+ is also still a juddery mess which i presume is because of samsung's shithouse software. It also can't be understated how crappy bixby is and how it's filth permeates through the whole phone.

But but but it has smaller bezels than the Pixel 3!!!

NightOnyx

Oct 25, 2017
If you're using an iPhone 6 I don't know how you wouldn't be wowed by an iPhone XS. It's an incredible upgrade and the camera is also amazing with the new smart HDR. I wouldn't buy an XR because as you say it doesn't have OLED and the display just won't be that great.

Yeah, that's what I figured. My friend has an X from last year, and that display already looks way better than my 6, so I'm sure I'd be really happy with the XS. Honestly, it's just the notch that makes me not like it as much. For a $1000, I want a phone I'm completely happy with, although I'm sure I'd get used to it. I think I'm more likely to get that than an XR though. Not getting an OLED would be rough. A Pixel 3 might be the best compromise though. I get a good screen with no notch for $200 less. iOS is really the thing that makes me want to stay with iPhone though.

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018

The price tag starts $200 - $250 more than the XR and Pixel 3.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
The XL. The massive bezel on the right is due to the notch.
Ok good... That's what I was suspecting but wanted to make sure...

I'm on an iPhone 7 but my contract ended last week and I've been wanting to go back to Android for a while now...

The Pixel 3 looks realllllly interesting right now but I wonder if there's better alternative? I don't really like big phones so the standard P3 is already the maximum size I would go for... I want to somewhat futureproof it so I want something modern but at the same time my needs are pretty simple.. I don't really care about the camera (I never take pictures) and I never use any kind of voice assistant so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
So, do i understand this correctly that Call Screening is exclusive to the Pixel 3? - and so are the new camera features? :/
The camera features, i understand - but a feature that seems to be pretty much exclusively software / service based ...

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
There are a million little annoyances that didn't exist before and downgrades for no reason.

It used to be that when you tapped on the "WiFi" or "Bluetooth" icons in the quick launch bar it took you to intermediate settings windows that let you see all available networks / devices and quickly pick one and get back to what you were doing. Or you could tap and just turn the entire function on or off.

Now you can only turn the function on or off or go to the full settings application where you need to click through options to get what you want.

The entire Pie experience is infuriating and worse. Pie also broke Bluetooth on the Pixel 2 XL. Finally, the changes for phones with notches are very annoying. Why can't I see all my fucking notifications at once!?
Literally none of this is true for me on my Pixel 2 XL. Tapping the Wi-Fi button in the quick launch turns it on/off and long-pressing it opens up the list of available networks.

Also, Bluetooth still works without issue for me, my watch stays connected all day.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, do i understand this correctly that Call Screening is exclusive to the Pixel 3? - and so are the new camera features? :/
The camera features, i understand - but a feature that seems to be pretty much exclusively software / service based ...
If you root, they will be ported to any phone that can be rooted.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Why would people pay that much for basically same specs , I paid 429$ for my 128GB mi8 including premium case , screen glass protector and shipping. It has an oled screen, snap dragon 845 and 2 extra rams . You could go even lower with the likes of the pocofone f1 .

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Why would people pay that much for basically same specs , I paid 429$ for my 128GB mi8 including premium case , screen glass protector and shipping. It has an oled screen, snap dragon 845 and 2 extra rams . You could go even lower with the likes of the pocofone f1 .
And the OnePlus 6 costs $529 with a much nicer design and twice as much RAM (8 GB) for the higher $579 model.

From the comments in the thread it seems like OnePlus should really be making a smaller phone version.

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018

And the OnePlus 6 costs $529 with a much nicer design and twice as much RAM (8 GB) for the higher $579 model.

From the comments in the thread it seems like OnePlus should really be making a smaller phone version.

Not when OnePlus, Mi and Poco doen't have below.

- Google Assistant live call screening
- Google Duplex
- Now Playing (newly added history)
- Best camera
- Pixel Visual Core (so the best camera works just as good in 3rd party apps)
- Top shot
- Live Google Lens
- No compressed photo and 4k video backups unlimited
- 3 years MINIMUM of large os updates and launches on the most recent OS.
- Security update every single month. Period.
- CDMA Carrier support

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
If I don't really care about the new camera or assistant stuff... How much of a difference is there between the Pixel 2 and 3?

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
Just ordered the regular ass black 64gb Pixel 3 and a case. Excited to finally retire this Nexus 6p and return to smaller phone life!

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017

Honestly it's worth it alone to pay more than a Chinese phone for a *way* better OS and *way* better update support (first in line, longer guarantees support). Reducing this to "same specs" is way too reductive if you care about the long term support whatsoever.

That said, the price is a bit too high and the 3 XL is quite the eyesore, although I've heard it looks better in person and as an iPhone user I know the notch becomes tolerable pretty quickly.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Literally none of this is true for me on my Pixel 2 XL. Tapping the Wi-Fi button in the quick launch turns it on/off and long-pressing it opens up the list of available networks.

Also, Bluetooth still works without issue for me, my watch stays connected all day.

That isn't what he said. You're reading it wrong.

Pie ruined Android's UI.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Honestly, the regular Pixel 3 looks really good. Probably the best looking phone from Google since the Nexus 5. It's understated and utilitarian like the P2, but still has a modern sleekness to it and no longer has the awfully large top and bottom bezels from the previous year. It's pretty much a Galaxy S8/9 but without the edge-to-edge side glass which I've always been eeeh on anyway. Google should have just stuck with this design for the Pixel 3 XL. They would have even got a few pats on the back for 'resisting the Apple wave.' Instead that fucking notch is all anyone's talking about and the regular Pixel is being completely ignored.

DSCF2359-1920x1280.jpg

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish Android phones had front facing fingerprint sensors... I always leave my phone in my desk next to my keyboard so it sounds like it would be annoying to always have to pick it up to unlock it.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Not when OnePlus, Mi and Poco doen't have below.

- Google Assistant live call screening
- Google Duplex
- Now Playing (newly added history)
- Best camera
- Pixel Visual Core (so the best camera works just as good in 3rd party apps)
- Top shot
- Live Google Lens
- No compressed photo and 4k video backups unlimited
- 3 years MINIMUM of large os updates and launches on the most recent OS.
- Security update every single month. Period.
- CDMA Carrier support
All of these features aren't that important to me . I just want a good screen, good performance, acceptable battery life and good camera which any of the phones i mentioned will provide fir less than half the price in the case of mi8 and pocofone f1.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
WTF is google doing with the black bars for videos. LG and Sammy figured out the best screen to body ratio couple years ago, why is Google still struggling?

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
I really wish Android phones had front facing fingerprint sensors... I always leave my phone in my desk next to my keyboard so it sounds like it would be annoying to always have to pick it up to unlock it.

I agree with this for the most part. I do like a rear fingerprint sensor on larger phones though. Too bad with that huge notch they didn't implement face id.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Contract runs out in December. Decided to upgraded my Pixel OG to the Pixel 3 and I'm thinking of going for the XL version. Can't wait!

spuck

Oct 28, 2017
London
I bit the bullet and pre-ordered the regular Pixel 3 (64GB/white). I have the disposal income and can get a decent return on my Pixel 2, so the TCO for me isn't as high as the face value price tag. As long as there aren't any QA issues I think I'll be pretty happy, especially as the screen is bigger and it comes with USB-C earphones. The only thing I'm a bit sceptical about are the new navigation gestures, but I'm sure they'll be fine.