• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got it on saturday. Enjoying it so far, it's certainly nice to have a phone again without WLAN issued when both, a 2,4 GHz and a 5 GHz network, are active. Also, no random app crashes anymore ... never found out what the origin of that problem was with my old regular Pixel 1 ... maybe something memory related.

I mean the Pixel 3 has the best smartphone camera on the market... So it completely obliterates the Lumia 950xl.

Btw. any tips about settings for the best "allround use" camera? Never really was into smartphone cams, but if the device has a good one, why not starting to use it?

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017
Pixel XL3 comes in tomorrow. Will give it a good test run to see if I want to keep my Note 9 or jump ship to the XL3.

Fletcher

Oct 25, 2017
Is there volume limiter on this thing? I'm listening to music on my headphones, max volume, and it's seems kind of quiet. When I skip songs it's loud for a split second and then goes back to slightly quiet.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if the regular Pixel 3 has the speaker buzz issue like the XL? Or is it just the XL? Thanks.

SolmisateSol

Nov 2, 2017
Does anyone know if the regular Pixel 3 has the speaker buzz issue like the XL? Or is it just the XL? Thanks.

I have some buzz on my Pixel 3.

Although it's not a buzz exactly, it's like the speaker is so resonant with the structure of the phone that it actually causes the entire phone to vibrate in a really strange way, even at low volumes...

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Is there volume limiter on this thing? I'm listening to music on my headphones, max volume, and it's seems kind of quiet. When I skip songs it's loud for a split second and then goes back to slightly quiet.
Check your equalizer. I've had it turned on before and it severely limited the volume output of Spotify. I eventually turned the EQ off for that reason.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017

Have you tried turning the volume all the way up, with headphones in, while looking at the screen? If I remember right, there's a 'this may hurt your ears' volume warning that you have to dismiss before it'll let you go full volume with headphones. (Thankfully, you only have to do this once.)

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
I have some buzz on my Pixel 3.

Although it's not a buzz exactly, it's like the speaker is so resonant with the structure of the phone that it actually causes the entire phone to vibrate in a really strange way, even at low volumes...
Thanks for letting me know. I received my 3 XL a couple days ago and the buzzing was really bad. I sent it back for a refund.

I don't know what I want to do now... I want the Pixel because of its outstanding camera. But dealing with QA issues and the (in my experience) awful google support is really putting me off. What to do! RMA until I get a good one, go for OnePlus, Apple....

What's funny is the budget motorola phone I'm using now has been 100% perfect (other than an awful camera), no QA issues at all.

wayward

Oct 27, 2017
Having a terrible customer service experience. I received the package for my phone on Monday but opened it up to find just an empty box. For the past two days Google customer service has been giving me the run around saying they need FedEx to handle the loss despite FedEx closing my case within hours of reporting the stolen phone. So I can't talk to anyone there who can do anything other than relay my claim to people who I can't even speak to directly.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for letting me know. I received my 3 XL a couple days ago and the buzzing was really bad. I sent it back for a refund.

I don't know what I want to do now... I want the Pixel because of its outstanding camera. But dealing with QA issues and the (in my experience) awful google support is really putting me off. What to do! RMA until I get a good one, go for OnePlus, Apple....

What's funny is the budget motorola phone I'm using now has been 100% perfect (other than an awful camera), no QA issues at all.
Can you identify steps to recreate this? I have a new P3XL and haven't noticed anything resembling a buzzing while playing audio over the speakers, at any volume level.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Can you identify steps to recreate this? I have a new P3XL and haven't noticed anything resembling a buzzing while playing audio over the speakers, at any volume level.
Try listening to some songs you know well (on youtube and also maybe on spotify) and see if it sounds different. I could immediately hear the buzzing. It seems to depend on the song.... some songs it was barely present, on others it was super in-my-face. I compared it to my old phone, my wife's phone, and my laptop, and it was very obvious. I think I checked about 5 different songs. YMMV!

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
It was a bit of wild ride but I finally got my Pixel 3 (thought I was getting a One plus 6T for a while but T Mobile didn't accept my Pixel XL with a crack).

I'm really liking it so far. Not seeing the RAM issues yet, and I can immediately tell the battery difference as I'm not constantly checking the battery and seeing it go down every time I look.

Also the camera is great in some initial shots, as expected. Don't mind the notch at all.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having a terrible customer service experience. I received the package for my phone on Monday but opened it up to find just an empty box. For the past two days Google customer service has been giving me the run around saying they need FedEx to handle the loss despite FedEx closing my case within hours of reporting the stolen phone. So I can't talk to anyone there who can do anything other than relay my claim to people who I can't even speak to directly.
contact the BBB

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
It's been a while since I have participated in a phone launch but I'm shocked at how much this happens. The Pixel subreddit has a lot of posts like this. Sorry you're having to do with that. :(

wayward

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I wasn't paying attention when I got the package. Saw on the unopened side of my box that the cardboard and shipping label were cut to ribbons and then taped over. If anyone is ordering a Pixel make sure you inspect the box before signing for it.

And try to speak with someone on the phone. I used the chat help and got two really flaky customer service representatives. Not trusting either of them I followed up with a call and the new rep I spoke to told me neither of the guys on chat had the authority to help so they didn't put in a proper ticket. Anyway, after arguing for like 3 days with four different people they're finally giving my case to a supervisor - something the last guy was super reluctant to do.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Just upgraded my 4 year old Moto Droid Turbo to the Pixel 3. Goodnight, sweet bulky prince. Really doesn't feel like I had it for that long.

So, I'm a bit miffed that my charging options are so limited right out of the box. I had no idea that it would only come with a USB-C to USB-C cable and a USB-C wall plug. Can I use the "quick switch adapter" that the phone came with for charging with a USB-A cable?

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Ok well another question...

The bottom portion of the screen with the home button changes color depending on where you are, but it seems to always be white hen I'm in Chrome, even if I'm on a page that has dark mode. Any way to change that?

Also, on another note, I'm not all too thrilled with the battery on this thing....

Fletcher

Oct 25, 2017
THanks for the help, guys. It was the equalizer. *duh

Coming from a longtime iOS user. Is there a better way to manage the audio options on android? For example, on an iPhone if I have the mute switch on, all app audio is muted unless I tap it to make sound or something. Everything other than my music audio. It seems when I turn the volume for media for apps such as snapchat or instagram, when I open up Spotify the music volume is all the way down as well.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017

Coming from a longtime iOS user. Is there a better way to manage the audio options on android? For example, on an iPhone if I have the mute switch on, all app audio is muted unless I tap it to make sound or something. Everything other than my music audio. It seems when I turn the volume for media for apps such as snapchat or instagram, when I open up Spotify the music volume is all the way down as well.
All media volume is tied to the volume rocker by default (any volume within an application). If you want to change ring/alarm volume you'll need to click the cog icon below the volume slider. You can also quick mute by pressing both power and volume up rocker at the same time (similar to the iPhone's volume/silent toggle).

CaptainCanada

Oct 25, 2017
Almost all of my texts except ones form this morning just vanished on my pixel 3. Support says only way to restore is to factory reset the device and restore from backup. This solution sucks because of authenticators tied to the account. Maybe I should try Authy....

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

media volume controls media audio, including games, audio and video apps

easter

Nov 15, 2017
anyone see some very light burn in in the notch area since day one on the 3xl? mine has a faint line there.

PipefishUK

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got the Pixel stand? I'm really paranoid about screen burn in on my regular Pixel 3 when it's on the stand, seen as you can't turn the ambient display off.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
This is more just a result of having a new phone after 2 years... But it feels so nice to come to this after my Pixel that I was having to worry about battery. If I did not charge my phone to and from work it would be down to nothing when I got home and even then I would have to charge at home if I planned on staying up late. And I don't have to reduce the brightness so low! I'm also really recognizing the improved vibration. Typing feels much better now. I think my Note 7 felt this way before those started blowing up and I got a Pixel.

Anyone got the Pixel stand? I'm really paranoid about screen burn in on my regular Pixel 3 when it's on the stand, seen as you can't turn the ambient display off.
I have it. Do you have the ambient display on otherwise? Don't these companies move the pixels around to prevent burn in with ambient displays?

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
I just downloaded the Night Sight camera app and holy fucking shit...... it's amazing what incredible software can do. It's too bad you have to hold the camera steady for a few seconds, but still, pretty mind-blowing results.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
So having my 3 XL for a week now, I'm very happy with it, especially the battery. I'm getting 2 days out of it easily for normal every day use, maybe 1 and a half if I watch a lot of video's with the volume up high. I really like the speakers too, they are nice and loud, for a phone anyway.

Deleted member 15632

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gave it two weeks but I'm RMA'ing my Pixel 3 (non XL) and going back to iPhone XS.

Yes the camera is wonderful and Android is much more modern feeling than iOS with it's fantastic integration but the phone feels like a toy - it's too light and way WAY too thin for my liking - have the XL a go and it's too big.

The iPhone X and XS Max both feel much better in my hand weight and size wise.

Sorry Pixel 3 I tried.