• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
$40 Pixel Stand
th

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Talked to the US customer support and he said that he isn't aware of the deal. Told me to try again when the deal is active and they might be able to retroactively give a refund. I haven't opened my device yet. Worst case scenario is that i would send it back and buy a new one lol.

Tried my luck today again now that the price drop is active and same story, not getting it retroactively. And also just today, i don't have that return button anymore for my Pixel 3, what a coincidence! I might try my luck again later today by phone and not by chat ... but i don't have much hope.

That was the last Google phone i ever bought. Guess i'll have to start coming to terms with Samsungs bloat and slow updates in the future.

psp12345

Oct 27, 2017
I've had the 3XL for a couple of weeks and I really like it.
I hope Google solves the RAM management issue though. It's annoying that music stops playing when opening the camera.

The camera and especially Night Sight is amazing.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ordered my 3 with $150 off for BF.

Of course they reduced the trade-in on an old Pixel 1 by $15 since a week ago.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I had a good experience with the CS for my Pixel 1. I had to change it 3 times till I got a perfectly fine device, but contacting them was always fine. I am in Europe though.

boomroasted

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Verizon has $400 off every Pixel 3 model. If you buy form Best Buy the price is off up front rather than being in statement credits, so you can pay it off right away and switch carriers although I think you have to jump through a couple hoops.

I'm on Verizon and although I'd rather have a totally unlocked phone the $200 difference is too much to pass up. Just not sure which model/storage I want.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Verizon has $400 off every Pixel 3 model. If you buy form Best Buy the price is off up front rather than being in statement credits, so you can pay it off right away and switch carriers although I think you have to jump through a couple hoops.

I'm on Verizon and although I'd rather have a totally unlocked phone the $200 difference is too much to pass up. Just not sure which model/storage I want.
Yeah, I'm currently on Tmobile and picked one up. I'm planning to cancel the plan when it gets here. Supposedly you get refunded one of the fees if you cancel within 3 days of activation and are pro-rated the monthly fee. The 64GB should come out to less than 500 when it's all done (hopefully no snags along the way)

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's only a discount if you do a payment plan?
I still have a few months left on my current phone so I guess I'm out of luck.
I'd pay the full amount in a second at $400 off, though.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth

How does Verizon handle requests to retroactively apply a discount to recently bought phone? Or returns and re-buys? I got a Pixel 3 from Verizon two weeks ago for $800. :(

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Tried my luck today again now that the price drop is active and same story, not getting it retroactively. And also just today, i don't have that return button anymore for my Pixel 3, what a coincidence! I might try my luck again later today by phone and not by chat ... but i don't have much hope.

That was the last Google phone i ever bought. Guess i'll have to start coming to terms with Samsungs bloat and slow updates in the future.

You're giving up on Google phones over a price match that very few retailers would approve? Weird decision, dude. They're called black Friday deals for a reason - not "buy what you want in advance and call us for money back later" deals.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017

So because you have no patience, and couldn't wait a few weeks when you knew black Friday deals would happen, you'll never buy another Google phone again?

That's some fucking anti consumer shit man! Shame on Google lol

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
So I got the Pixel 3 on launch. I have to say I am really enjoying it so far. Phone feels fast. I like the screen. Sometimes it gets a big hung up. Usually this is only in the Facebook app however. Overall its fast. I love the Google assistant. Camera is amazing. I really enjoy Android and the UI. I feel its a good step above iOS just in terms of where you can place the icon on the homescreen and the app draw.

Battery life is a bit meh. I feel that way with all Android phones however.

Deleted member 46103

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2018
So I got the Pixel 3 on launch. I have to say I am really enjoying it so far. Phone feels fast. I like the screen. Sometimes it gets a big hung up. Usually this is only in the Facebook app however. Overall its fast. I love the Google assistant. Camera is amazing. I really enjoy Android and the UI. I feel its a good step above iOS just in terms of where you can place the icon on the homescreen and the app draw.

Battery life is a bit meh. I feel that way with all Android phones however.

The processor this year had a regression in battery life. Next year it will flip back to being a major upgrade in efficiency.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
You're giving up on Google phones over a price match that very few retailers would approve? Weird decision, dude. They're called black Friday deals for a reason - not "buy what you want in advance and call us for money back later" deals.

So because you have no patience, and couldn't wait a few weeks when you knew black Friday deals would happen, you'll never buy another Google phone again?

That's some fucking anti consumer shit man! Shame on Google lol

Oh, excuse me that i couldn't foresee that Google decides for the first time ever that i've noticed to make a fucking Black Friday sale on the german store, and that i couldn't foresee that a fucking smartphone, that's officially been available in Germany for not even three weeks get's a whooping 200,- € price drop. Guess i was just busy foreseeing the winning numbers for the lottery or that two guys who seemingly have now idea how this whole shit works in Europe drop some stupid hot-takes in here.

Here's a great example about how this stuff works out usually. I pre-ordered Let's Go Eevee from Amazon and got it last friday, on tuesday they decided to match an offer from a local retailer chain, dropping the price of the limited edition with the controller by 27,- €, and look, without me even having to contact Amazons CS i just got a fucking refund of 27,- € for the order. Oh, i have another one, i got RDR2 from a local retailer on launch day, a competitor retailer in another city was having the game for 20,- € less and i got a price-match for that too, again without even having to say a thing.

So yes, this is anti-consumer. And i'd value you guys doing some thinking before dropping hot-takes, or you know what, even better, never quote me again.

Good fucking grief, some people ...

sca

Oct 25, 2017
There's only a discount if you do a payment plan?
I still have a few months left on my current phone so I guess I'm out of luck.
I'd pay the full amount in a second at $400 off, though.
From my understanding, you basically pick a payment plan, then when you get the phone, activate it with Verizon. Once you activate it, pay off the phone and cancel the plan. I believe there's a window of three days to cancel the plan before you can't get refunded for the fees. Link to SlickDeals thread

My question is if I can cancel the plan online, or will I have to call Verizon to do it?

Elem

Oct 27, 2017
I like using the Always On Display but should I be worried about screen burn-in? The clock doesn't seem to move.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I like using the Always On Display but should I be worried about screen burn-in? The clock doesn't seem to move.

I might be wrong, but i think i remember reading about some tech that Google uses that prevents burn-in from the Always-On display.

Quick googling brought this up: https://9to5google.com/2017/10/17/google-pixel-2-oled-burn-in-protection/

Could've even been in this thread where i read about this. ^^

You can always change the settings that the display only goes active when you're getting a notification, that's what i did.

Deleted member 33515

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
200$ discount in the US, meanwhile it's 40£ discount in the UK (51$) and no discount whatsoever in Italy.
Google, you're a cheapskate. See you next year...

tmtyf

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm currently on Tmobile and picked one up. I'm planning to cancel the plan when it gets here. Supposedly you get refunded one of the fees if you cancel within 3 days of activation and are pro-rated the monthly fee. The 64GB should come out to less than 500 when it's all done (hopefully no snags along the way)

Was reading if you cancel Verizon plan they make you pay whatever the discount was.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to set the audio mix between apps in Android? I like to play games while listening to podcasts on my commute.

I was playing Monument Valley this morning and the only options in game are music/sfx on or off and I couldn't get a good balance between the podcast and the game's music.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
Was reading if you cancel Verizon plan they make you pay whatever the discount was.
Even if you bought it through Best Buy? The plan is a little different than getting it from Verizon directly since you're doing that through bill credits. With Best Buy, they pay for the $400 upfront I believe and you get signed up to a monthly plan. When you cancel, it should be prorated. They ran a very similar deal with the first Pixel when it was first released

Last edited:

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I took the plunge and decided to buy the pixel 3. They had a black friday sale going on at the google store and I decided to get the pixel 3 64gb. It was time to upgrade my iphone 4.

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
Alternatively, it's $20 you can actually use on something from Amazon vs. a store credit you didn't pay anything for, expires in a month, and is only good on the 10 items they sell in the Google store :P
What's this about expiring promo credit? Does all their store credit expire or is that specific to this $50 promo?

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Just got a Pixel 3 and have a question about the display. When I'm not looking at it straight on, meaning I'm looking at it from the sides there's like a hue that makes it look different, is that normal? Alsoz which color mode do you guys recommend? Right now I'm using adaptive.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got a Pixel 3 and have a question about the display. When I'm not looking at it straight on, meaning I'm looking at it from the sides there's like a hue that makes it look different, is that normal? Alsoz which color mode do you guys recommend? Right now I'm using adaptive.

I think Google still use LG OLED panels and that is normal. There's some variation between screens but a shift/tint in colour looking at an OLED on angle will always be there.

Samsung AMOLED panels are the best in the industry, but Samsung has been working with OLED for a long time. LG still have quite a ways to go on mobile devices.

It's the current trade off for the perfect blacks and punchy contrast of OLED. I'll take it over the panel lottery with LCD and backlight bleed/dead pixels.

You buy Samsung you get the best screens in the mobile industry. Even Apple is now using Samsung AMOLED panels IIRC. But you get stuck with Samsung Experience software and slow updates.

You buy another OLED phone and you probably have an inferior LG panel, but on a Pixel you get pure android and Google support. Then I'd still argue ANY OLED is better than LCD.

The whole mobile industry runs on pros and cons with phones and while Samsung have nearly perfected OLED screens we're still not fully there. You can still get some colour shift and tint issues on Samsung panels, it's just they are far better than LG. I've got an old S6 lying around and even its screen is better than some new OLED panels.

It has a blue shift on it (the S6) but it's nowhere near as bad as the Pixel 2 XL blue shift from that LG panel. Some of the Pixel 2 XL screens had an absolutely insane blue shift at even a small angle.

More examples in image format here

https://m.imgur.com/a/NM59p

Last edited:

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Huh weird... My Pixel 3 would not recognize my headphones (plugged in via the USB-C adapter)... It would just keep playing on the phone's speakers.

I had to restart the whole phone to fix the issue.

shazrobot

Oct 28, 2017
So jumped all over the $200 off for the Pixel 3 XL from the Google Store on Thursday...then the next fucking day (black Friday) it goes on sale on the Fi store with $200 off AND $200 service credit for Fi which I'm already on. Tried talking to customer service but no avail. I would have to refuse the delivery and order again. But I had to do a hard check on my credit already to qualify for the financing from the Google store.

Dammit. Welp, still excited for a new phone. Been on a 6P for three years.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
That's the first I even heard about the Fi credit, but then again, I knew better than to look at Google's store right after ordering the phone itself on Thanksgiving, heh. Would've been nice to get that, but oh well.

Surprisingly, it took barely over 24 hours for my phone to get delivered: ordered Thursday morning, delivery notification 2pm Friday. Pretty wild since it was free shipping to boot. Gotta get a case asap, makes me especially nervous since I work in a kitchen and there's always flour on my stuff. It's currently wrapped in cling film, lol. A trick I learned working in a bakery a few years back...

One thing that I noticed this time around was how fast transferring everything over from my P1 to the P3. My husband complained about having to sit at the Sprint store for 30-40 minutes when they copied things over to an iPhone X, but this only took less than 10 (via cloud, not cord!) and it was absolutely every little thing brought over to the new phone, right down to having my alarm already set for the next morning.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
The Pixel Stand is buggy. I woke up to my phone not charging and I'm about 80% sure it was charging when I went to bed. I'm just speculating but I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with the RAM issue? I'm not sure how wireless charging with the stand works but is it possible something is getting killed in the background that stops it from charging?

Also, voice recognition is not as good as the Google Home mini. I had one in my bedroom, and I was thinking the stand would replace it. If I say "Hey Google" it takes it a few seconds to respond. And then if I say one command, it will do it, but then take me to the Google Assistant page. Then if I say "Hey Google" again, it won't pick it up because I think I have to tap the button on the page to get it to listen.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
Huh weird... My Pixel 3 would not recognize my headphones (plugged in via the USB-C adapter)... It would just keep playing on the phone's speakers.

I had to restart the whole phone to fix the issue.

I had the exact same thing happen to me yesterday on my 3 XL. Neither Google's own headphones or the adaptor would work. Weird that it happened at basically the same time to both of us.

Oct 25, 2017
the ocean
Just ordered me a Pixel 3 with $200 discount and $200 in Fi credit. Seems like a great deal! Delivery around Dec 3-4. Should be a decent upgrade from my HTC One M7 from 2013 :)

ZedLilIndPum

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone seen blue dots appear in the camera image when pointed at a bright light source? Can't figure if this is just a standard lens effect or if there's an issue with my camera.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished doing the steps for the Best Buy Pixel 3 deal. It was much easier than I thought. Target was having a sale on h2o sims.

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018
I think Google still use LG OLED panels and that is normal. There's some variation between screens but a shift/tint in colour looking at an OLED on angle will always be there.

Samsung AMOLED panels are the best in the industry, but Samsung has been working with OLED for a long time. LG still have quite a ways to go on mobile devices.

It's the current trade off for the perfect blacks and punchy contrast of OLED. I'll take it over the panel lottery with LCD and backlight bleed/dead pixels.

You buy Samsung you get the best screens in the mobile industry. Even Apple is now using Samsung AMOLED panels IIRC. But you get stuck with Samsung Experience software and slow updates.

You buy another OLED phone and you probably have an inferior LG panel, but on a Pixel you get pure android and Google support. Then I'd still argue ANY OLED is better than LCD.

The whole mobile industry runs on pros and cons with phones and while Samsung have nearly perfected OLED screens we're still not fully there. You can still get some colour shift and tint issues on Samsung panels, it's just they are far better than LG. I've got an old S6 lying around and even its screen is better than some new OLED panels.

It has a blue shift on it (the S6) but it's nowhere near as bad as the Pixel 2 XL blue shift from that LG panel. Some of the Pixel 2 XL screens had an absolutely insane blue shift at even a small angle.

More examples in image format here

https://m.imgur.com/a/NM59p

How do you type up this much about OLED panels and A. Reference a year old panel instead of the current LG panel and B. Not realize that actually Samsung makes the panel in the Pixel 3 XL.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
i want this phone but i made a rule for myself to upgrade every 2 years. will it be cheaper by the end of 2019?

Nightz

Oct 25, 2017
Welp. Went to Best Buy on Black Friday and they were out of Pixel 3s. They told me to order it online and I did. Today I get a call from Best Buy saying that my order had to be cancelled because their systems were having issues with Verizon's. They suggested I go to a store and get the phone there instead. I asked if they could still honor the BF deal and was told that there was nothing they could do and that I would have to talk to Verizon. Not sure I want to deal with this and might just stick with my S8.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you type up this much about OLED panels and A. Reference a year old panel instead of the current LG panel and B. Not realize that actually Samsung makes the panel in the Pixel 3 XL.

I don't own a Pixel 3 or XL and was replying to someone asking why they feel their Pixel 3 has a shift/tint.

It's some general info as to why OLED screens can tint/shift. I knew the Pixel 2 XL had some notorious issues with it and it was an LG Poled panel.

But I apologize for an in depth answer for that poster as to why OLED can shift/tint. Even Samsung OLEDs. They just tend to be the best in the industry, but even my Samsung OLED has a slight colour shift when turning it on an angle.

Last edited: