• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
So I caved and bought the Pixel 3 with their black Friday deal.

I had no intention to upgrade this year but my original Pixel has slowed down to a crawl, become very buggy while trying to access apps, and the battery drains extremely fast compared to when it was new. Are these known issues? Did Google, like Apple, purposely sabotage battery life with their updates?

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
just got pixel 3xl
been awhile since ive been on android. anything i should know or get
btw loving the phone so far

phone history:
android , windows, windows, android, windows, iphone, android

jokingbird

Oct 25, 2017
So I caved and bought the Pixel 3 with their black Friday deal.

I had no intention to upgrade this year but my original Pixel has slowed down to a crawl, become very buggy while trying to access apps, and the battery drains extremely fast compared to when it was new. Are these known issues? Did Google, like Apple, purposely sabotage battery life with their updates?

Batteries degrade with age, but I also believe it was partially the android updates. I wish they did not start locking people out of replacing batteries. I remember my Samsung S5 active had the same issue. I bought a new battery for like $15 after it had been out for two years, which instantly fixed the problem. Companies should start making these devices more sustainable.

Also jumped on the Black Friday deal. Too good of a price and the battery life of my Pixel is definitely around 1/3 what it used to be.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Does anyone know how to activate the hands free assistant by saying the phrase? It's wokring on my pixel 2 but seems to be disabled for my wife's 3

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Just upgraded to a Pixel 3 XL yesterday from a Galaxy S6. Just the fact that I don't have to deal with the Samsung bloat and the Verizon bloat is great.

apstyl

Oct 25, 2017
Got my Pixel 3 XL yesterday, leaving my Pixel 1 XL - and the improvements are great. Snappier, larger screen (notch be damned) and the Google Lens is pretty cool too. Pixel 1 would have to think about a photo in portrait mode. The Pixel 3 XL just crushes it instantly. Main improvement is the battery life. My P1 was not making it to dinner time.

boomroasted

Oct 25, 2017
Well Best Buy canceled my 128gb XL Black Friday order due to "a communication error between Bestbuy and Verizon system that were unable to manually fix"

So far they refuse to honor the original price and basically told me I have to reorder at the current full price.

Solid reminder why I try not to deal with Best Buy. I already have a pixel stand and a case on the way. Not sure how long it'll be until a similar deal happens, a free pixel stand and headphones isn't close enough.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
My pixel stand is not working right. Every so often it'll show that is charging rapidly on the screen but it's not really charging at all. I have had successunplugging and replugging in the stand to get it to work again.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pleased to say the December update has fixed the vast majority of issues I've been having (3XL). Camera launches faster, memory management is much, much better, battery seems improved as well. Fixed an issue I was having with autofocus not honing in quickly enough sometimes. Best of all, the speakers have been much improved. There is still a faint buzz when playing eg. Piano music if I look for it, but it's much less severe than it was, I don't think I will notice it much anymore. Audio quality is improved with things sounding fuller and deeper, and the distribution of sound between the stereo speakers is much better and it now feels centred when watching a video.

Super pleased. Nice one Goog.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
Pleased to say the December update has fixed the vast majority of issues I've been having (3XL). Camera launches faster, memory management is much, much better, battery seems improved as well. Fixed an issue I was having with autofocus not honing in quickly enough sometimes. Best of all, the speakers have been much improved. There is still a faint buzz when playing eg. Piano music if I look for it, but it's much less severe than it was, I don't think I will notice it much anymore. Audio quality is improved with things sounding fuller and deeper, and the distribution of sound between the stereo speakers is much better and it now feels centred when watching a video.

Super pleased. Nice one Goog.

Yeah agreed, it's fixed every niggle I've had with the phone. It's pretty much perfect now for me.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
They sent me 3 wireless chargers. Only have two phones. Pretty sweet, have one for bedroom and game room and one for work. Love the phone.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
This December OTA made the Pixel 3 so much snappier and feels much smoother. From what I can tell, it uses over 1GB less of RAM compared to what it was before.

Might of been the best update for a phone I've ever had.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Just got an update for the Phone app (UK) and the notes say Introducing Call Screening but then it says (US only at the moment) next to it, got excited for a minute lol back to waiting.

Either that or try to change the phone language to US to see if I can get it on but doubt it will be that easy lol

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I ordered my Pixel 3 on 11/24 (Saturday), before Cyber Monday. I got the Black Friday deal ($200 off the phone, $200 in Fi credit). It arrived a few days later. Then two days ago I get a message from FedEx saying I have a package arriving at the end of the week but I have no clue what it is. It's coming from the Google warehouse but there is no indication of what in the world I'm receiving. It's 2 lbs is all I know.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
So I ordered my Pixel 3 on 11/24 (Saturday), before Cyber Monday. I got the Black Friday deal ($200 off the phone, $200 in Fi credit). It arrived a few days later. Then two days ago I get a message from FedEx saying I have a package arriving at the end of the week but I have no clue what it is. It's coming from the Google warehouse but there is no indication of what in the world I'm receiving. It's 2 lbs is all I know.

I had a free home hub turn up, could be that or some similar promo?

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Last update completely broke the Pixel stand function. I guess I will have to restart the set up again.

Last edited:

Antiquegamer

Oct 27, 2017
What function did it break?
Everything. It just charge and no longer turn on the assistant function. I have to restart and go through the set up again. Great camera but garbage software on this phone. Also I thought the last update was supposed to fix memory management but it still trying to constantly close some of my app. I took Snapchat off power management and that help a little but still stuttered and hang quite a bit.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
The screen call feature is super useful, and the night mode camera is absolutely black magic. I won't use a phone that doesn't have either feature.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
Everything. It just charge and no longer turn on the assistant function. I have to restart and go through the set up again. Great camera but garbage software on this phone. Also I thought the last update was supposed to fix memory management but it still trying to constantly close some of my app. I took Snapchat off power management and that help a little but still stuttered and hang quite a bit.

Interesting. I'll need to check to see if my assistant is working right.

Mcspooky

Oct 26, 2017
So I have veen looking at the pixel 3 xl.. But the rumors of bad audio quality on video is worrying. By current lg30 is killing it on audio even in loud environments. What is the experience of those who own one

jokingbird

Oct 25, 2017
Is the Pixel Stand worth it? Seems like it's a solid wireless charger, but slightly overpriced.

Personally I am going to wait for the Belkin version. I don't care about the assistant features when in the stand mode. Plus I picked up a 5 watt wireless charger for $10 on sale on Amazon. The price difference does not seem worth it at all.

rc213

Oct 25, 2017
Hollyweird
Personally I am going to wait for the Belkin version. I don't care about the assistant features when in the stand mode. Plus I picked up a 5 watt wireless charger for $10 on sale on Amazon. The price difference does not seem worth it at all.

Belkin one is available on the Google store already. I asked if it would fast charge other phones besides the Pixel 3 line on Twitter.

Their response:
Hi there. Are you referring to this product - https://t.co/j82Tv2og23. This device will charge compatible iPhones of up to 7.5 W, 9 W for Samsung wireless fast charge devices , and up to 5 W for all other Qi-Certified devices.

zerohaste

Oct 27, 2017
So I signed up for Fi on 11/28 for the $200 for bringing your own device promotion. The terms said I had to have it active for 30 days before I get the service credit, but didn't really specify if I had to have that phone I brought over (Moto G5 Plus) active or if it just meant the Fi service itself. Does anyone know how these promotions usually work?

The reason I ask is because I want to purchase a Pixel 3 of some sort while these other promotions are going on. The google store has it on financing for $100-$150 off depending on the phone, which isn't as good a deal as black Friday, but still better than full price.

Also, what are shipping times like with these? I'm leaving out of today for vacation on the 20th.

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
Well Best Buy canceled my 128gb XL Black Friday order due to "a communication error between Bestbuy and Verizon system that were unable to manually fix"

So far they refuse to honor the original price and basically told me I have to reorder at the current full price.

Solid reminder why I try not to deal with Best Buy. I already have a pixel stand and a case on the way. Not sure how long it'll be until a similar deal happens, a free pixel stand and headphones isn't close enough.

The 3XL is $150 off on the Google Store right now

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Just upgraded to a Pixel 3 XL yesterday from a Galaxy S6. Just the fact that I don't have to deal with the Samsung bloat and the Verizon bloat is great.

That's always the biggest improvement.. Pixel offers a iPhone like feel when it comes down to no bloat and carrier stuff.. But then again it's not available everywhere I can't get a Pixel in Portugal for example.

Anyhow I still love my original Pixel and I usually carry It around alongside my iPhone X still quite an amazing phone the original Pixel.