• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Every time this thread gets bumped, I'm hoping it's to announce the patch finally rolling out. I bought it Day 1 on the Switch and have been avoiding playing until the new camera is implemented.
Bought it day one as well. Although it's fun, I'm regretting buying it day one and the season pass because of the camera and teleport issues.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for bumping and no patch news.

I've played this 5 or 6 times coop so far, never solo. Was playing it tonight solo for the first time and man, I just don't know what they were thinking. So far it is not in the same league as the first game. I don't know why they thought first person was a good idea at all. The zoomed in nature. Ugh. Can they put the first game in the switch please?

Anyone recommend any other tower defense games on switch? So disappointed in this game.

Bought it switch and steam day 1. Glad I returned the steam version.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Damn, the patch still isn't out for consoles.

It's probably not coming for a long time. I'm guessing it's probably tied to performance, and they don't want to release a PS4 patch before a Switch patch. I can't think of any other reason why the patch wouldn't release. PS4 shouldn't really struggle with it, but I can see it being a technical challenge on Switch.

Would be nice to at least get some kind of update or information on the progress they're making (or if they're making any at all).

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably not coming for a long time. I'm guessing it's probably tied to performance, and they don't want to release a PS4 patch before a Switch patch. I can't think of any other reason why the patch wouldn't release. PS4 shouldn't really struggle with it, but I can see it being a technical challenge on Switch.

Would be nice to at least get some kind of update or information on the progress they're making (or if they're making any at all).
Best to forget about it at this point.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Not "patch news" but kind of an "update".

Apparently the patch is STILL with the publisher awaiting certification and hasn't even gone forward to Sony / Nintendo yet. So it's not a technical hold up at all.

Could we exert some pressure on the pubs via social media to see what the hang up is? They got it through to the publisher in EARLY JULY. So the pub has been sitting on it for well over a month.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Game is on sale for $9 on PC, PS4 and Switch.

And still no patch?! INSANE. I don't understand at all how this is the case. Like, if you aren't selling the DLC you want to sell, it's because people have left the game because of the camera...fix that, and maybe get some DLC sales. C'mon Q-Games, get your publisher on the ball!

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I've sunk about 5 hours into the game on PS4 this week.

I'm into all the small gameplay changes they've made from the original game. The costumes are fun, the little speed boost you get when running over fire/lava is a neat wrinkle, and the last-ditch defenses like pushing rocks and jumping on enemies are welcome additions.

I need to try this in co-op soon.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I've sunk about 5 hours into the game on PS4 this week.

I'm into all the small gameplay changes they've made from the original game. The costumes are fun, the little speed boost you get when running over fire/lava is a neat wrinkle, and the last-ditch defenses like pushing rocks and jumping on enemies are welcome additions.

I need to try this in co-op soon.

Wait...pushing rocks? What? What did I miss?

Oct 27, 2017
Not "patch news" but kind of an "update".

Apparently the patch is STILL with the publisher awaiting certification and hasn't even gone forward to Sony / Nintendo yet. So it's not a technical hold up at all.

Could we exert some pressure on the pubs via social media to see what the hang up is? They got it through to the publisher in EARLY JULY. So the pub has been sitting on it for well over a month.
Wow, this is crazy. Going on 3 months since we first heard about the patch and nothing yet.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Wow, this is crazy. Going on 3 months since we first heard about the patch and nothing yet.

It's truly mind boggling. I can't imagine why it's taking so long. Especially considering they just released their second DLC. All the DLC released before their patch that has been on Steam for a while (hasn't it?).

Insane.

You can take to Twitter to call out Spike Chunsoft. They're the publisher & responsible for getting the patch to Sony / Nintendo. Q-Games says it's conpletely out of their hands.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
It's truly mind boggling. I can't imagine why it's taking so long. Especially considering they just released their second DLC. All the DLC released before their patch that has been on Steam for a while (hasn't it?).

Insane.

You can take to Twitter to call out Spike Chunsoft. They're the publisher & responsible for getting the patch to Sony / Nintendo. Q-Games says it's conpletely out of their hands.
The pixel junk twitter doesn't reply and Dylan said it takes time. No one is saying anything.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
It's about time, only 2 months after it was finished!

I hope there's a way to fix a bug I have :( Currently can't get the game to trigger a rainbow on one of the special levels. I've gotten perfect runs multiple times with no luck.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
New patch has significantly improved a number of late game stages. I've noticed a few performance dips on some of the busier waves, but overall it seems pretty good.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Finished out all 45 rainbows, but ran into a bug that prevented the trophies from triggering. I think Dylan said that they're looking at fixing that bug in an upcoming patch. So heads up if you're on the path to platinum to maybe wait for the patch (just in case it can't be fixed if you've already done it).

mf.luder

Oct 28, 2017
Finished out all 45 rainbows, but ran into a bug that prevented the trophies from triggering. I think Dylan said that they're looking at fixing that bug in an upcoming patch. So heads up if you're on the path to platinum to maybe wait for the patch (just in case it can't be fixed if you've already done it).

Couldn't find anyone on multiplayer this morning. Is that normal?

Also, I conpleted all fun stages, no trophy triggered. Unless I missed something.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Finally got around to playing this
good lord these load times. even when simply retrying.

Also, its also a bit tough seeing the trails enemies will go through. Wish it was more intuitive that would simply show their full paths

other than that loving it. The music is as lovely as the first game

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Finally got around to playing this
good lord these load times. even when simply retrying.

Also, its also a bit tough seeing the trails enemies will go through. Wish it was more intuitive that would simply show their full paths

other than that loving it. The music is as lovely as the first game

Have you been using the zoom out feature? There's a fair bit of trial and error involved in the maps similar to the first, but typically if you follow the preview path you'll be able to see a few choke points for each map where you can capitalize.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Have you been using the zoom out feature? There's a fair bit of trial and error involved in the maps similar to the first, but typically if you follow the preview path you'll be able to see a few choke points for each map where you can capitalize.

Yep i've been using it.

I guess narrowing it down my problem is with the trial and error style for surprise path deviations..things like retrying map, loading times, or quickly adjusting on your feet aren't optimized with the player in mind.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Has this ever been fixed? My wife and I rainbowed every level in the first but was turned off by the reviews and changes.

Did the patches get it back closer to the PJM1 experience?

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Has this ever been fixed? My wife and I rainbowed every level in the first but was turned off by the reviews and changes.

Did the patches get it back closer to the PJM1 experience?

The camera issues were fixed, which was a huge part of it. It'd Say outside of that it was already plenty like the first. I loved it, rainbowed every stage. I believe their weekly challenges also give you customization prizes.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Id like the whole screen/stage to be visible especially in co op

Oh, okay yea. They added different levels to the camera so you can basically pull back and see almost everything. Not quite the whole map (since they aren't really laid out in "wide screen" like the old 2D game) but it's MUCH better. Even in SP, since you can see almost the entire playing field and plan / act accordingly.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, okay yea. They added different levels to the camera so you can basically pull back and see almost everything. Not quite the whole map (since they aren't really laid out in "wide screen" like the old 2D game) but it's MUCH better. Even in SP, since you can see almost the entire playing field and plan / act accordingly.
Oh really? Do u have any clips of that, possibly with the local coop?

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017
They added a button to quickly zoom out and view the full map, but as a massive FUCK YOU, you can't move while zoomed out. They did the same shit with the PSP port of the first game.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I really don't understand why this was even a thing? It must have been a completely different team working on the sequel. Like wtf did they even do here just make a direct sequel to Monsters guys geez...

Either way glad it's all patched up now, will play co-op with the Ms again.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Amen...Like I said above, had to be a different group of devs.

I don't think the team comp was that different, it was just a matter of having more power & an engine that they liked visually from their previous game (Children of Tomorrow I think?). They probably just wanted to show off all that detail & art, made a design choice, and in the end it was one that really hindered the enjoyment for a lot of people.

That said, with the new update, I feel like the game still hits all the same beats as the first one and is still just as enjoyable, and the DLC, for me, is better than what they offered in the first one. It's a shame that it was fumbled so badly out of the gate, as I really think it deserves better than it got as far as reception goes.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the team comp was that different, it was just a matter of having more power & an engine that they liked visually from their previous game (Children of Tomorrow I think?). They probably just wanted to show off all that detail & art, made a design choice, and in the end it was one that really hindered the enjoyment for a lot of people.

That said, with the new update, I feel like the game still hits all the same beats as the first one and is still just as enjoyable, and the DLC, for me, is better than what they offered in the first one. It's a shame that it was fumbled so badly out of the gate, as I really think it deserves better than it got as far as reception goes.

It's not just the camera stuff but the game play just feels off too. I may give it another chance eventually.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
It's not just the camera stuff but the game play just feels off too. I may give it another chance eventually.

If by "off" you mean "not identical to the first" then sure. But everything in the game functions flawlessly, there aren't any underlying quirks that inhibit the performance of the player. The biggest change, IMO, is the move away from 1 Tree = 1 tower, replaced with a system where the towers occupy space (thus requiring players to think about what towers they place where, as trees now become just as much of a resource as money and gems).

So yea, it's not like the first, for sure, but I think it plays perfectly well as it is. Plus having a jump button is phenomenal, and not having to hold a sprint button constantly during later stages is a blessing.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
Just started playing this on Switch, holy crap at 90 second load times, just restarting a level I've made a mistake on to get a rainbow feels like a chore. Absolutely breaking any enjoyment I could get out of the game which sucks as I adored the first game.

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
Haven't played it since I dropped it day 1 with that awful camera. Guess I should boot it up again and see how much has been fixed, because the first game remains one of my favourite games of all time.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Just started playing this on Switch, holy crap at 90 second load times, just restarting a level I've made a mistake on to get a rainbow feels like a chore. Absolutely breaking any enjoyment I could get out of the game which sucks as I adored the first game.

Yea, switch load times are terrible. It's better on PS4, but not by much.
Haven't played it since I dropped it day 1 with that awful camera. Guess I should boot it up again and see how much has been fixed, because the first game remains one of my favourite games of all time.

You should it's much better.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
It's currently on sale for switch. I liked the demo, and I used to love the first game. I remember not buying this because I read it wasn't as good as Monsters 1. But what is the opinion of most people now?

Edit: nevermind, based on the newest replies I bought it.

Last edited: