• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
maxresdefault.jpg

Developer: Q-Games
Genre: Tower-defence with unique perspectives
Platforms: Steam/Switch/PS4
Release: 25/05/18 (Delayed to 30/05/18 on Switch in Europe)
Price: $14.99/£11.39 or your regional equivalent

ss_02730553f5077eefddeb3aa76fd2458e5bd9ffde.600x338.jpg

ss_df17936b4b4f002b24d278f82f8f7a6e1f0b6b4b.600x338.jpg

ss_363215729a9495bb857ec6827ca914820b3fbf26.600x338.jpg

ss_e2a1ae330f7d1926ae7a94926ee14669460b2378.600x338.jpg

PJ-Monsters-2_05-23-18.jpg

The spirit of the forest, Tikiman, is in trouble.
An army of mysterious monsters has invaded his peaceful forest!
Repel the fire and fury of your assaulting foes!
Build towers within the woods and level them up to vanquish the invaders!
Protect the Chibis, the future of the Tiki tribe!

GAME FEATURES
  • Protect the Chibis!
    Evil monsters have invaded the peaceful Tiki forest!
    Protect the 20 Chibis back home at all costs!
  • Waves? Like Surfing?
    Monsters attack in several groups at a time, like intermittent waves.
    The number of "waves" may differ depending on the stage selected.
  • Fire Away!
    Use magic to transform the trees around you into towers that attack the monsters.
    These towers cost hard-earned coins and gems to build.
    It seems that even magic requires money to use...
  • Unlock Stages
    Oh! Looks like new numbered plates appear near altars when you successfully protect the Chibis within each stage!
    1... 2... 3... And they seem to appear in order, huh.
  • Rainbow Fragments
    If you protect all your Chibis, you get special rainbow fragments as a reward.
    Collect them all to visit Tiki houses in other areas!

Demo available now on PSN, Steam, and eShop!

Season Pass ($7.99, or $21.99 as part of the Complete Edition)

• Encore Pack – $4.99, Take on a new stage, Encore Peak, with the new missile tower!
  • Danganronpa Pack – $4.99, Enroll in a new challenge with the new Danganronpa-themed Hope's Peak Academy stage and the new Mana tower! A certain headmaster has filled all the monsters with despair, and even Tikiman can get some beary familiar masks for himself!

Golden Outfits Pack – Free until June 7, Dress up Tikiman in golden outfits and masks!

How can you not want this DLC by the way? Look at it!:

latest

Reviews:
Pending

You have until June 1st to order the physical Standard and Collector's Editions from Limited Run Games for Switch, PS4, and PC, if that's your bag:

MockUp_PixelJunkMonsters2_CE_SWITCH_WIDE.png

https://limitedrungames.com/

Last edited:

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
Bought, playing through the first stages and it's great as expected! Gonna try out the online multiplayer later.

Presskohle

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hmm.
I'm in the playing-local-coop-with-my-wife-reliving-10year-old-memories situation and the demo kinda sucked. The zoomed-in camera, the warping, missing of some QoL features (seeing the status of all towers for example)...really hurting the game. :(

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
Hmm.
I'm in the playing-local-coop-with-my-wife-reliving-10year-old-memories situation and the demo kinda sucked. The zoomed-in camera, the warping, missing of some QoL features (seeing the status of all towers for example)...really hurting the game. :(

A dev (Dylan at Q-Games) said on their discord that they're looking into improving the camera.

("Yes we will be adding more camera options in the post launch update - along with some other really cool things!")

Presskohle

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Thanks for the info Drencrom
My wife doesn't play many games, so I would have bought it anyways. But good to hear that Q-Games is aware and already thinking about solutions.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks purseowner for the OT! Wasn't sure if this game was going to get any love here. I thought the first game was a pretty major hit, but this one is kind of stealth releasing out of nowhere to very little buzz. I'm hoping we at least get some reviews soon.

The 30 FPS are really hurting the game on Switch.

Man that's unfortunate to hear. I played the demo on the PS4 and planned on grabbing this on the switch, but maybe I should go check out that demo first to see how it feels.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
Yeah, the lack of "buzz" is really sobering to witness... I mean, the first to me was probably the best tower defense game i EVER played, and i loved it to bits for it! I thought many people felt the same way but...

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the lack of "buzz" is really sobering to witness... I mean, the first to me was probably the best tower defense game i EVER played, and i loved it to bits for it! I thought many people felt the same way but...

Seriously right? It's really weird.

EDIT: Is there not a Switch demo? I thought I read somewhere that it came out but I can't seem to find it in the store.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It is king of tower defense. I own the PS3, PSP, Vita and Wii U versions.

Gonna grab the PS4 and switch editions, really wish they'd have kept the tower status bars from the first game though, basically the whole control scheme from the first with the new look of the second.

Keenest

Oct 27, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
I will buy the PS4 version since the Switch version is delayed. I would have liked to replay Monsters 1 again but I don't have a working PS3. I wasn't aware that there is a Wii U version of Monsters 1. So that might be something to try over the weekend.

Rbz

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I'm def buying this, only question is which platform and when. If it looks ok enough on Switch then I will take portability over the ps4's increased visual fidelity. Also I'd prefer to wait to play it until there is a zoomed out view and quick tower XP check, so since this is in the works, perhaps I'll wait.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
I'm def buying this, only question is which platform and when. If it looks ok enough on Switch then I will take portability over the ps4's increased visual fidelity. Also I'd prefer to wait to play it until there is a zoomed out view and quick tower XP check, so since this is in the works, perhaps I'll wait.
They've confirmed they're adding this? This is the one thing that's making me hesitant about PJM2.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I love the almost claymation stylings and warm color palette of the art. I'm trying the demo now.

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
I will buy the PS4 version since the Switch version is delayed. I would have liked to replay Monsters 1 again but I don't have a working PS3. I wasn't aware that there is a Wii U version of Monsters 1. So that might be something to try over the weekend.

Q-Games dev said it might be possible that PJM1 Ultimate gets a PS4/Switch port, it depends on how PJM2 fares I assume.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I played the demo and it failed to spark the same excitement and fun that I had when playing the original. I also agree with the other users that spoke about the camera and other QoL features, which I'll probably wait for.

Keeping an eye on it though because I really *want* to like it.

Mr Pricklefingers

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 4, 2017
I had no idea this was coming out already. I never played the original, but I loved the demo on Switch. The visual style is cool as heck, and has me fantasising about how beautiful a new Pikmin game could look on the system.

warcrow

Oct 30, 2017
I've been playing this game over the last few days and its just as lovely and zen and fantastic (and HARD!) as the original, and that's coming from someone who adores the first one. My only gripe is the overhead camera is closer in PJM2 than in PJM1, but you can use the right-stick to scroll around which helps. I love the verticality added to the game. The maps have real cliffs that you have to run around (or avoid) and building towers atop elevated areas increases your tower's range--it's pretty cool!

If anyone is interested, I made a video of the very first level, on the easiest difficultly (it forces you to do this) and talked about my impressions of the game.

If anyone needs help getting Rainbows (perfects) for the various stages, I've started uploading mine here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi8-IlqeJDA&list=PLUeP4wqAXXLDyilgdTjrLOpRs0zxk9Mgm

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I'm awaiting Switch impressions. 30fps isn't a deal breaker for me, as long as it's rock solid and the game isn't riddled with other bugs. I hope there aren't other visual sacrifices.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
When does the NA switch version release? Nintendo needs to get into the midnight launch business for all of their eshop releases.

Jan 2, 2018
The 30 FPS in the Switch Demo didn't bother me at all, but in a direct comparison to a 60 FPS version it sure wouldn't be flattering.

I played the demo only for an hour. How many different towers are in the final game?

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
You can't use the 20% off PSN code on pre-orders, right? Guess I'll wait 10 more minutes to get 20% off instead of 10%.

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
Is the Switch demo available in North America, or will it be made available with the full game when the eShop updates?

Played the demo on PS4 and enjoyed it, but it definitely seems like the kind of game I'd rather take on the go. Don't think 30fps will be an issue for me, but definitely want to check it out before buying the full game after seeing some of the comments here.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Downloading this now. Loved the original.
I played the demo and the polish caught me by surprise as I expected this to have been rushed a little bit (following the closure of The Tomorrow Children & their other Kickstarter falling short).

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the demo and full game are live on Switch now. Gonna check out the demo first and see if the 30 fps is a deal breaker.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Dang, missed out on the PSN theme by waiting for it to go live. I guess 20% off instead of 10% off is still worth it, but would've liked that theme.

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
Bought it, even though I can't play it before Monday. Really looking forward to it, haven't played the demo, but loved part 1. Hoping for the camera fixes and other small improvements soon and then I'm sure I'll enjoy it tons. Hope it's successful for the devs.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
I saw the demo in the store out of nowhere last week. Will buy, my wife and I played the original PJ Monsters together back when we were still dating.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
Bit the bullet and grabbed the switch version. The 30 fps seemed like a non-issue to me. The resolution does seem a bit low though, at least undocked. Still though, this is the perfect game to play portable, so I can deal with the graphics shortcomings.