• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zbon

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto!
But you can earn rainbow pieces in couch coop though? That's what I've been doing the last 2 days.

That's good then! I took the tutorial explanation of no rainbow pieces to include couch co-op. Still though, if you can earn them in couch co-op, why not in online co-op as well (at the very least when it's restricted to two players)?

moogan

Nov 2, 2017
How do I get the third rainbow for stages
I got one from doing the two difficulty modes fun and tricky and got those rainbows but I'm not sure how to get the last one

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else get a bit frustrated that any given stage has a bunch of paths that aren't used in the current stage (because they make 3 stages out of one larger map)? They do highlight one of the potential paths, but it is still misleading because you actually will have them come from 1 or 2 other mystery paths (not all of them though). It just feels a bit messy. I wish they had done it the traditional way: one map per stage with multiple paths. Not this overly large map with unused space.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have details about what resolution this game runs at on PS4 vs Switch? Normally I'm not anal about that stuff but since I bought a 4K TV I've definitely found that 1080p is then bare minimum I want to see on it. 720p looks like 480p stuff used to look on my HD TV.

Absinthe

Oct 27, 2017
Reviews on Steam are not looking good right now.

Is the camera really that bad or are the reviewers overreacting?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I still haven't bought this despite originally looking forward to it. From what I gather the camera/map completely changes the way the original was played. Can anyone tell me what the benefits to the change were, if any? Just trying to understand why they made it this way to begin with .

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The more I play the game the more the camera is pissing me off. Having to pan around the whole map at the start of a wave to try to see where the monsters are coming from is annoying given the first game just let you see the whole map. Especially since panning around on Switch makes the framerate chug up.

Also, my friend pointed out something that I didn't even realize. In the first game when you went to the upgrade menu for a tower, it would tell you what the next upgrade would do (damage increase, range increase, etc). In this game it doesn't tell you at all.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Shoulda just been PJM 1 with the better graphics.

Perhaps. I like it when devs try something new, or else it would be an expansion pack instead of a sequel. But new doesn't always mean better...

I still haven't bought this despite originally looking forward to it. From what I gather the camera/map completely changes the way the original was played. Can anyone tell me what the benefits to the change were, if any? Just trying to understand why they made it this way to begin with .

The camera is always zoomed in and follows your character walking around, only showing the area around your character. You can move the cam with the right stick, but you can't zoom out to get a decent view on the map.

Other issues:

- At the start of a level, the game shows you the path the enemies will follow. But after a few waves, enemies suddenly follow another path without giving any indication which way they will go. Because of this, you barely have time to protect the new path and if you happen to be out of money, you need to restart the level.

- Towers don't change in appearance when upgraded and don't show the damage they do or what the effect of an upgrade is

- You need to let your character dance to upgrade a tower. But as soon as you move your character, it stops dancing and there's a delay before it dances again

This game should have been tested better imo.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
Perhaps. I like it when devs try something new, or else it would be an expansion pack instead of a sequel. But new doesn't always mean better...

The camera is always zoomed in and follows your character walking around, only showing the area around your character. You can move the cam with the right stick, but you can't zoom out to get a decent view on the map.

Other issues:

- At the start of a level, the game shows you the path the enemies will follow. But after a few waves, enemies suddenly follow another path without giving any indication which way they will go. Because of this, you barely have time to protect the new path and if you happen to be out of money, you need to restart the level.

- Towers don't change in appearance when upgraded and don't show the damage they do or what the effect of an upgrade is

- You need to let your character dance to upgrade a tower. But as soon as you move your character, it stops dancing and there's a delay before it dances again

To be fair the delay in dancing was also in part 1, which cost me a few games back then. But yea this camera is super annoying

Absinthe

Oct 27, 2017

Other issues:

Hopefully they fix this.

Zero change in appearance is strange considering pretty much every TD game uses that as an indicator of your towers progress.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Zoomed in camera doesn't add anything "new" other than artificially increasing difficulty and frustrate the player. It only gets much worse in co-op, where you can no longer move camera and you force-teleport the second player around with yourself (this is particularly frustrating as walking off screen when controlling the second player will teleport you to the other side of visible area).

This was a core element of original game, so it's not a problem in of itself (you didn't even get any hints about initial path of enemies) - the problem here is that you NEVER get to see a large portion of the map in the initial preview, which significantly obfuscates alternate paths or completely hides them even.

This is mostly unchanged from original games - tower level-flag is now a number rather than color(admittedly color was more readable to me). Frankly I don't have an issue with either - figuring out tower effects was part of the fun (and it seems they didn't really change it in new game so veterans already know what the effects are).

Actually it feels rushed in places - the co-op is really half-baked, even outside of camera issues, there's tons of things that are unexpectedly clunky, starting with the Hub-area where second player has no controls over anything (not even character customization), the only thing they can do is walk around.

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
That's good then! I took the tutorial explanation of no rainbow pieces to include couch co-op. Still though, if you can earn them in couch co-op, why not in online co-op as well (at the very least when it's restricted to two players)?

You can earn Rainbow pieces in online multiplayer too, but only the host earns them (would be very easy to "abuse" and get all rainbow pieces otherwise I think).

Guests earn ancient tokens like usual tho.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You can earn Rainbow pieces in online multiplayer too, but only the host earns them (would be very easy to "abuse" and get all rainbow pieces otherwise I think).

Guests earn ancient tokens like usual tho.
Oh, that's great news! I also interpreted the tutorial instructions to mean that no one can earn rainbows in any of the co-op modes. They should probably clarify the tutorial language if a bunch of people are getting the wrong impression.

Regarding the camera, I agree that they need a more zoomed out view, but I'm finding that with panning, it's actually not that bad so far (just mildly annoying; I'm still relatively early though). Still, glad that they're addressing it. Otherwise, this feels like an updated Pixeljunk Monsters game, which is a very good thing.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah i love the game but i still think the first one is better.

Negatives:
- camera issues (pls let me zoom out more. Also, i never use the over the shoulder cam. Its super pretty and cute when i do, but gameplay wise i dont see the point)
- framerate issues (ps4 slim)
- honestly not much real new content. The biggest feature is 3d. I was expecting way more new types of towers and enemies etc.
- Music and soundeffect was better in the 1st game.

Positive points:
- The 3d is a cool new feature with the jumps and whatnot. Makes the map more intricate.
- Graphics are really pretty and the cuteness is off the charts.
- Love all the different paths of the monsters. Might be very confusing and annoying for newcomers but it makes it more challenging.
- The boss is waaay more interesting this time.
- it still feels like PJ Monsters, so i love it.

oasis007

Oct 27, 2017
I waited so long for this sequel. The problems, as others have mentioned:

Camera too far zoomed in

Online co-op play doesn't earn anything (this is a bummer for me because my friend who used to play couch co-op with me in PJM1 moved away, so we wanted to tackle the game online)

I've actually had issues where the tower range is impeded by the terrain, rather than making it better. I've put towers on a hill only to have range crippled in one direction.

Ricen-Beans

Oct 27, 2017
Only problem I have is the zoomed camera. I like everything else. Yes some improvements can be made but for now, it's still pretty good imo.

Oct 27, 2017
This is a fun game but there's a lot of really bad design decisions. Coins should automatically be added to the character bank, when playing couch co op you should have to stay together it should go splitscreen and not teleport p2 back to p1:/

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
This is a fun game but there's a lot of really bad design decisions. Coins should automatically be added to the character bank, when playing couch co op you should have to stay together it should go splitscreen and not teleport p2 back to p1:/

This is actually an intentional design choice since the original PJ Monsters game. The player is supposed to go out and pick up the coins if the player is in need of it. You being forced to sometimes stop upgrading a tower to pick up money or neglect money to build new towers etc is part of the core gameplay loop and is imo great because of its risk/reward nature. Having money being auto banked when an enemy is killed would quite frankly be boring and take away some of the complexity of the game and turn it into more of your typical standard tower defense game imo.

Edit: woops, doublepost

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Really enjoying this a lot as I work on rainbowing more stages and unlocking more towers. The only issues I see is the guide being mixed up with certain topics not having the right descriptions or wrong pictures and the lack of an option to view level progress for nearby towers so I can see what I could upgrade quickly or should focus on. The snow levels seem easier to rainbow than the desert levels, but I did like the nice hooks to their design (enemies not dropping coins, balloon enemies from the PSP game, and the little flaming dudes running down the mountain instead of from a designated path). I've unlocked the fourth area (tropical levels?), so progress is pretty steady so far.

I would have liked PJM2 to have the rewind function from Defense Grid, but I'm fine with messing up having more of a penalty to it than it is in DG.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
Want to buy (on PS4, as the Switch version was a blurry, low res mess), but hating not having the ability to zoom the camera. Sorry gang no buy. YES it really is THAT bad. (HUGE fan of the original and Vita versions). This is a bummer. Hope the patch comes through soon as I love this series.

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great game. Bought this for Ps4. Man, the challenge ramps up by level 4 and I hate it when the monsters change path and you're totally fucked after a good run.

Btw, the game doesn't seem to tell you but if you hover your guy up your towers, your guy will level them up (this game mechanic was from the last game)

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ah, missed this thread somehow, my impressions from the demo thread:

We have played around 10 lvls already, so here are our first coop impressions:

The warping was toned down significantly and now happens only when you are stretching the screen beyond its size,
so the coop is now playable.
But the screen size is still the same small without any zoom-out option, so its harder to control the map. I guess it is by design, but it makes thing harder and warping inevitable few times per level.

3D nature of maps adds further complexity, sometime in a good way (use elevation to increase effective range of yout towers), sometimes in a bad way ( need to go around and jump like crazy to get from A to B.)

There is no 4-player local coop ( kids are so :( ) , no coop rankings, a first person view is also disabled in coop as it was in the demo. There are only 2 difficulties so far, so I have no idea how to get third rainbow for a stage.

It also goes pretty difficult pretty fast, but this is probably good, given I do not see that much levels to play.

Overall, we are still enjoying it and will play through with my wife, but I do not see much long term coop value, especially with the rankings missing.

Oct 27, 2017
This is actually an intentional design choice since the original PJ Monsters game. The player is supposed to go out and pick up the coins if the player is in need of it. You being forced to sometimes stop upgrading a tower to pick up money or neglect money to build new towers etc is part of the core gameplay loop and is imo great because of its risk/reward nature. Having money being auto banked when an enemy is killed would quite frankly be boring and take away some of the complexity of the game and turn it into more of your typical standard tower defense game imo.

Edit: woops, doublepost
If that's the case I'll let it slide. But coins and gems that fall into the water or other places you can't go should automatically go into a bank as it's unfair if it falls and you can't get it as a result of something out of your control.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Just returned from a trip and fired up the full version - I'm overjoyed that PJM is back, it was the strongest entry in the Pixeljunk series and it's taken far too long to get a sequel. The visuals and music are as charming as ever and the transition to 3D is absolutely lovely. I realize it's not perfect, but I'm overjoyed that I'm playing a Monsters title again.

Question: can you do combined local/online coop?

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just returned from a trip and fired up the full version - I'm overjoyed that PJM is back, it was the strongest entry in the Pixeljunk series and it's taken far too long to get a sequel. The visuals and music are as charming as ever and the transition to 3D is absolutely lovely. I realize it's not perfect, but I'm overjoyed that I'm playing a Monsters title again.

Question: can you do combined local/online coop?

I like Eden the best. Something incredible about that game. the visuals and audio work is ace. I doubt we'd see a sequel to that but would love to.