• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Oh yeah street food really contributes a lot to the experience in a city. My city Kolkata got pretty amazing street food. Helps me with the hungry evenings during office hours a lot.

Oct 27, 2017
living in Texas there is very little of that, aside from taco trucks

visited los angeles recently and the food truck scene is great, doesn't touch new york city tho...

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Why is it that people only seem to envy street food from other locations? My theory is that the novelty wears off very quickly.

machine

Oct 25, 2017
Food trucks are a growing trend where I live but they completely miss the point. If you're selling food from a truck, your overhead is much lower (no rent, cheaper insurance, etc.) and your prices should reflect that. Why the fuck should I buy from your food truck if your product is the same price as a sit-down restaurant that probably has to meet more stringent health code standards?

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Grew up in the culture of street food and is probably one of the few things I've missed. Japan does have some but you have to go to specific ginzas around tokyo. My fav is Yanaka Ginza near Nippori Station.

Talking about street food however, this seems kinda sad:

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In the part of LA I work in, there really are taco trucks on (almost) every corner (obviously an exaggeration). You see then set up by places that have workers working night shifts. My fav spot for tacos is actually a little spot just behind the airport runway for cargo. Best carne asada tacos for dirt cheap.

My favorite thing about the Inglewood/Hawthorne/LA area is the plethora of tamale ladies selling then out of their cars with a warm cup of champurrado. Usually carry cash just to buy like 10 tamales and take them home for lunch and dinner for the next few days after.

Go further into LA where more people are around and you find a ton of food trucks around. Stuff is pricy and commercialized but still delicious.

Kinda craving a trip to Mexico, though. At least to Baja. I remember going to Mexicali and my friends and I were up all night just grubbin and having fun.

And I've always wanted to go to Taiwan or S.Korea to try their street food. Probably in 2019.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
To the thread title: Yup, we eat good in Peru, can't complain because there's a lot of diversity in our food and OH MY GOD is it so awesome!

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
To the thread title: Yup, we eat good in Peru, can't complain because there's a lot of diversity in our food and OH MY GOD is it so awesome!
Tm7y2Cd.gif

Bearwolf

Oct 27, 2017
One of the reasons I want to go to Thailand is to try all the street food. But I hear absolutely everything is spicy, is that true (I tend to order the non spicy stuff like Pad See Ew)?

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Avoid eating on Indios Verdes in Mexico city, like if you survive you are inmune to everything now.

Why is it that people only seem to envy street food from other locations? My theory is that the novelty wears off very quickly.

Mexican food have lots, lots of variations. I cant really envy other countries but I would love to taste other spicy food out there

Marvelous

Nov 3, 2017
Most American cities don't have any sort of street food. Seeing as this is an America-centric forum, it would make sense that most people are gonna be envious of places that actually do have it. That said, people who have natural access to street food probably don't need to spend a lot of time coming and voicing their envy of other street foods.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle here:

We have a rich tradition of hot dogs with cream cheese and jalapenos on them.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? Pretty much all of Asia is a food desert by your definition which is not the case. If you want to talk about some small American town where the only restaurants are a Taco Bell and KFC ya but saying that Asia is pretty much a food desert is like the dumbest thing one can say.

And saying supermarkets like they are some bastion of quality is hilarious. You can get better food in a lot of rural places in Asia than some North American cities and there are no supermarkets in sight.

He's not saying any of those things. he's pointing out the properly understood terminology as it relates to the US. A food desert is a rural or urban area where "normal" supermarkets and fresh groceries are not available and poor or remote folks are forced to eat garbage from 711. For example. You're defining the term for yourself, which is fine, but there's no need to argue about it. he's right.

Baka Sempai

Oct 30, 2017

Why am I not in mexico eating right now. Wake me from this nightmare.

I have a few you tube subscriptions including Mark Wiens, Mike Chang, Aden Films, amongst others, and is always mesmerizing to see and appreciate how so many countries around the world have such a rich "street-food" culture, and while I've seen my share of amazing food-prep skills from teppanyaki to street-style tacos, this lady right here blows them all out of the water. Seriously, how is it even possible to handle an avocado like that ? I'd be missing at least 3 fingers on each hand if I could cut the way she does, and not only that but the final product, DAAAAAYUM !!!

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Yea I wish this was more prevalent in the US, especially since a lot of these meals are dirt cheap without the hipster food truck tax attached to it.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
He's not saying any of those things. he's pointing out the properly understood terminology as it relates to the US. A food desert is a rural or urban area where "normal" supermarkets and fresh groceries are not available and poor or remote folks are forced to eat garbage from 711. For example. You're defining the term for yourself, which is fine, but there's no need to argue about it. he's right.
Asia has local markets with fresh produce everywhere. Not a dessert by that definition either.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017

One of those high production / popular youtube street food channels needs to go to Jamaica so I can see more.

Last edited:

args

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
this bourdain episode i just watched makes me wanna just move to and live in queens forever

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Food truck culture is growing fast in my area, largely thanks to all of the high income, IT and medical jobs being concentrated in a few places. Most are still attached to a brick and mortar restaurant, but regardless, I love knowing I can swing by a few spots at noon and get some fast unique food (for the area).

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
Food trucks here in LA are pretty dank but pale in comparison to my experiences in Singapore and Hong Kong.

You fuckers are making me want to visit Seoul.