• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
So I skimmed through the thread. According to you guys Asia has the best street food in the world...

Got a lot to add to my traveling bucket list -__-

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
god right?? i always see so many street food photos on tumblr, twitter, and reddit. it always looks top notch. i'm so jealous. people get these cones of fries covered in melted cheese and bacon. fuuuck.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
I live in Switzerland and it's truly abysmal for this, cheap food does not exist never mind good cheap food, the diversity of food here is quite low as well.

Best we got is some Empanada places charging 7 francs for a single Empanada, truly depressing stuff.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Basically most East Asian countries.

Pretty much. Every country I've lived in/been to in East Asia (China being a pretty big exception these days. The government is destroying its street food culture at a rapid pace) has amazing street food. Taiwan and Malaysia are tops. Those two countries are foodie paradises, and cheap.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
I live in a neighborhood that has a ton of street food options... the temptation is maddening.
Hot Dog stand on the corner is especially excellent.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well compared to other closer areas in Asia it sucks, aside from food markets specifically. The amount of random small food stalls scattered around is nowhere near Taipei or places in China or Seoul I guess.

USA and Canada are bad in this but Mexico seems godlike.

I feel that you can find street food easily in parks in Japan. In city you'll be finding crepes

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Pretty much. Every country I've lived in/been to in East Asia (China being a pretty big exception these days. The government is destroying its street food culture at a rapid pace) has amazing street food. Taiwan and Malaysia are tops. Those two countries are foodie paradises, and cheap.

What is the Chinese government doing to the scene to stamp it out?

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I remember reading about China wanting its cities to emulate Singapore, so yeah, it's being happening for awhile now. We are always complaining about how soulless Shanghai is getting. They're tearing down everything here.

You can still find them in some far away parts of big cities where no chenguan are, but honestly its sad.

On one hand I can understand that people close there dont want to have a street food street open till 23 on weekdays and longer on weekends close to their home, on the other hand places in Beijing I went to the first time I came to China dont exist anymore.
There was a long street close to my wifes high school that was full of great streetfood stalls, drinks etc. It was bustling with activity, different smells and so much to eat.
We went there last November and there is nothing there anymore. Just an empty street.

newline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
God this thread makes me want to go back to SEA so bad.

Bangkok, Hanoi, Luang Prabang, Denpasar & Jakarta were all incredible for street food.

Singapore too but its not so much street food there iirc, more like food halls but they're amazing!

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
^ You thought I was talking shit??

V4ASpCo.jpg

qcSxR6r.jpg

9wEmT6C.jpg

ZRij1cU.jpg

zoFRhwb.jpg

QPRM1Wc.jpg

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
As someone lucky enough to go to Thailand every few years, the street food is just wonderful. A friend of mine runs a food stall/grill at Ratchada night market in Bangkok too.

Always eat where the locals eat and don't be afraid!

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Japan, Taiwan and Hong Kong are my favorite street food places. There is nothing anywhere as good as these places in Australia, or are just pale imitations of what I ate there.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
Mmh, that tasty gutter oil. In all seriousness, I loved the street food in China. But it can also give you the shits.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017

Sadly, I think this may be dying as each generation comes and goes. I read a really sad article about the Hawker Center scene in Singapore, and it's slowly dying out there because of a combination of rent getting too expensive, and most kids raised by hard-working Hawker parents having no desire to carry on the family business. The centerpiece of the story was some lady in her 90s who still sells 200 bowls of noodles every day in downtown Singapore. She's got no one to carry on. The kids grew up, went to college and got office jobs, and the grandkids have no desire to take up the mantle either.

Basically, streetfood, and the hawkers that make it, are looked on as servile roles, and everyone is starting to think they're too good for that. In 50 years, that kind of food scene may only exist online, in social media posts and photos.

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
Shutting down street food stalls, and moving everything in to malls.

Im sorry as a ignorant Canadian, whats wrong moving things to malls? you are covered from the weather, well lite, you would have proper bathroom facilitates, places to sit down, it would be easier to check on the cleanliness of all the food stalls.
It just seems like having everything is a building would make things safer, cleaner and easier to monitor.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing like amazing street food. Will watch the hell out that netflix street food show as well. Chef's table was fantastic.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Im sorry as a ignorant Canadian, whats wrong moving things to malls? you are covered from the weather, well lite, you would have proper bathroom facilitates, places to sit down, it would be easier to check on the cleanliness of all the food stalls.
It just seems like having everything is a building would make things safer, cleaner and easier to monitor.

That's the main reason, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that per se. The ones that can afford the mall rents will move in, and we'll still get to enjoy their food, but at much higher prices. The ones that can't afford it? I guess they move further out of the city or stop doing what they're doing all together.

The food streets themselves are the real tragedy. Some of these streets were serving food like this for decades, if not centuries. They acted as a microcosm for the region's cuisine. Once all of the vendors got kicked out, and the street was redeveloped, only the likes of McDonalds, KFC, Starbuck and Papa Johns could afford the rents, and it becomes like any other city in the world. I'm looking at you, Wujiang Rd in Shanghai.

I'm living the majority of the year in Seoul now, and I've noticed that they didn't raze their awesome street food culture while modernizing. Taiwan as well. China seems hellbent on it though.

Last edited:

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Vietnamese street food is my jam

Hate that we don't have any street food culture in Australia and anytime an event tries to pull it off, you pay like $10 for a decent meal.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
In China: I saw a stray dog eating out of a bucket of cooked pork on the floor in an alley by the cook's stand in a street food market, before the cook put the meat back on the table and served it in plates.

I don't fuck with street food. Foodborne pathogens can be deadly, especially in a country where you're unfamiliar with the healthcare system.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
I miss the street food in Taiwan. I haven't been back to Taiwan in a long while and the last time I was there was not for fun.. when I have time, I'm definitely gonna show my wife around.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
That Netflix Street Food series was fucking amazing btw, y'all should definitely watch it.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
In Chicago, the most we really have are a couple food trucks that roam around, and street festivals all through the summer/fall, but we don't really have anything consistent. I really wish we did, and I'm so envious of folks who have a great street food culture available to them.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
In China: I saw a stray dog eating out of a bucket of cooked pork on the floor in an alley by the cook's stand in a street food market, before the cook put the meat back on the table and served it in plates.

I don't fuck with street food. Foodborne pathogens can be deadly, especially in a country where you're unfamiliar with the healthcare system.
Sickening. Why was the cooked pork in a bucket on the floor?

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
It's gonna end up kinda like how Singapore is?
Was recently in Singapore and street food were agglomerated in these open air squares. I really think that's a good solution, because you find toilets, benches and stuff. Things other vendors with their carts are missing.

Also the North African / Arabic countries are superb as well.