• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
www.allgamesdelta.net

Plague Inc. has been removed from the China App Store

Statement on the Removal of Plague Inc. from the China App Store We have some very sad news to share with our China based players. We've...

Statement on the Removal of Plague Inc. from the China App Store

We have some very sad news to share with our China based players. We've just been informed that Plague Inc. "includes content that is illegal in China as determined by the Cyberspace Administration of China" and has been removed from the China App Store. This situation is completely out of our control.

Plague Inc. is a huge critical and commercial success. Eight years old and with over 130 million players, it's the #1 strategy/simulation game worldwide and has been the most popular paid game in China for many years. Plague Inc. stands out as an intelligent and sophisticated simulation that encourages players to think and learn more about serious public health issues. We have a huge amount of respect for our Chinese players and are devastated that they are no longer able to access and play Plague Inc.

It's not clear to us if this removal is linked to the ongoing coronavirus outbreak that China is facing. However, Plague Inc.'s educational importance has been repeatedly recognised by organisations like the CDC and we are currently working with major global health organisations to determine how we can best support their efforts to contain and control COVID-19.

We are working very hard to try and find a way to get the game back in the hands of Chinese players - we don't want to give up on you - however, as a tiny independent games studio in the UK, the odds are stacked against us. Our immediate priority is to try and make contact with the Cyberspace Administration of China to understand their concerns and work with them to find a resolution.

Nothing is changing outside of mainland China: we will continue to support and update both Plague Inc. and our newest game Rebel Inc. on all platforms whilst also working hard to try and find a way to bring Plague Inc. back to players in China.

We will share more information about our efforts to support the fight against COVID-19 soon. You can find our statement on the current coronavirus outbreak here.

Chinese translation to follow shortly.

ndemiccreations.com

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wrap it up folks, they've solved Coronavirus.

Oct 31, 2017
On a barely related note, here in Italy the government forced me (and countless others) to shut down my commercial activity (a boxing gym) for a whole week (unless they prolong it in a few days) as a last-minute emergency measure to "contain the spread of the virus".
Can't deny I'm fucking bitter about it.

P.S. Count me in the group of people who had ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA Plague Inc. was that popular.

Last edited:

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense. If Corona didn't practice with the game first, maybe it wouldn't have been successful at all.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, there's been a mass shooting
BAN GUN VIDEO GAMES

Oh no, a mass epidemic
BAN EPIDEMIC VIDEO GAMES

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Feels like they should have used it as an educational opportunity, and put hygiene and other advice for dealing with Corona Virus behind an icon on the title screen.

Although I'm not familiar with the game.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that should solve the underlying issues. China as always more worried about the optics of people dying than the mere fact people are dying.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Wow, problem solved.

Good job keeping the minds of the citizens pure and filled only with the wisdom and guidance of glorious leader Xi Jinping, China.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Excuse me? I knew it was popular but not " the most popular paid game in China for many years" popular. Is there something I'm missing here or is that true?
It's probably not true to be fair. Or if it's true, true with some sort of fine print that isn't be shared aka "the most popular paid game about plagues!"

I'll be honest.. I don't think this is necessarily totally out of line by their government. Right now it seems a little callous to be profiting off of something that is ravaging their country.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably not true to be fair. Or if it's true, true with some sort of fine print that isn't be shared aka "the most popular paid game about plagues!"

I'll be honest.. I don't think this is necessarily totally out of line by their government. Right now it seems a little callous to be profiting off of something that is ravaging their country.

The game existed long before this outbreak, and it's not meant to mock it or make a profit of it. It just happened to explode even more because a viral outbreak is on everyone's mouths. Imagine if they temporarily banned all videogames with guns and action movies every time a mass shooting happened in the US.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

I play this game for years, it's not new.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
people here are ignoring the effects of histeria, panic, and depression something like that could make, the game got extremely popular now because it reinforces people's fears in the mid of this pandemic, and not because its a good fun game, the effects of the game can be worse to the population health in the mid of this health crisis full of doomers and world end news, than to allow this bad game that nobody will really miss it. Crowd control and mind health are important in times of a pandemic.

Just to be clear, before anyone quotes me, i'm in favor of censorship in this specific exceptional case, not in every case.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
people here are ignoring the effects of histeria, panic, and depression something like that could make, the game got extremely popular now because it reinforces people's fears in the mid of this pandemic, and not because its a good fun game, the effects of the game can be worse to the population health in the mid of this health crisis full of doomers and world end news, than to allow this bad game that nobody will really miss it. Crowd control and mind health are important in times of a pandemic.

Just to be clear, before anyone quotes me, i'm in favor of censorship in this specific exceptional case, not in every case.

It's not a "bad game", it's great, and how this is different from selling a war shooter for example?

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a "bad game", it's great, and how this is different from selling a war shooter for example?
War movies/games in war times are generally to boost morale and to incentivize enlistment. Not to generate panic with the end of humanity during the war, if you want my opinion if it existed a game that got extremely popular during a war in our state, thats about we gonna lose the war and everyone is gonna die, i would also be ok to ban that game. And the situation is very different when you are in the mid of the situation happening to people close to you, then far from it.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. This has been one of the most popular mobile games for years and is great.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The game existed long before this outbreak, and it's not meant to mock it or make a profit of it. It just happened to explode even more because a viral outbreak is on everyone's mouths. Imagine if they temporarily banned all videogames with guns and action movies every time a mass shooting happened in the US.
I think a better example would have been if some sort of flight simulator that existed prior to 9/11 reflected what happened if you crashed into a big building. A game like that probably would have been banned in retrospect in America too.

The scale of this can't really be understated. It is fundamentally changing their country right now in unimaginable ways -- 780m people were under quarantine effectively at last count and I'm sure that is growing. A game making money off something that is reflecting these people's real concerns and issues right now does feel callous to me. I'm sure there is no ill-intent, but the developer should have taken it down temporarily IMO.

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you have played or been aware of the game in the almost 8 years since it's launch? You know it's success both critically and commercially? If you do then your previous posts are not doing you justice.
i played a similar version of that game in early 2010, it exploded in popularity in china as i pointed in the article above due to the panic of the disease, not because its a good game found out now, that even the developers of the game had to calm people down and alert this game is fiction not reality.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
This is probably due to some Chinese government functionary's misguided attempt to score 'points' to his boss.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
I think a better example would have been if some sort of flight simulator that existed prior to 9/11 reflected what happened if you crashed into a big building. A game like that probably would have been banned in retrospect in America too.
SEGA cancelled Propeller Arena on Dreamcast for exactly this reason even though the game was complete.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017

I doubt this has to do with the mental health of the country. It's all about the image of the communist party. These are the people that banned Winnie the Pooh because some people on the internet said that their leader resembles him. This is also the same government that is trying to censor online discussion about the virus and the same ones who sent agents to silence whistle blowers early on in the outbreak.

Mad Matt

Dec 12, 2019
War movies/games in war times are generally to boost morale and to incentivize enlistment. Not to generate panic with the end of humanity during the war, if you want my opinion if it existed a game that got extremely popular during a war in our state, thats about we gonna lose the war and everyone is gonna die, i would also be ok to ban that game. And the situation is very different when you are in the mid of the situation happening to people close to you, then far from it.
You ever play Spec Ops: The Line? That's a "war game" that I highly doubt was created to boost morale or incentivize enlistment. By the way, heads up: The U.S. has technically been in war-time for the past two decades.

Your claims sound like looking for a conspiracy where there isn't one.

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You ever play Spec Ops: The Line? That's a "war game" that I highly doubt was created to boost morale or incentivize enlistment. By the way, heads up: The U.S. has technically been in war-time for the past two decades.

Your claims sound like looking for a conspiracy where there isn't one.
US never had a war in its territory in a long time how crowd control and morale works during an external war is different for a war thats happening in your town/territory, and anti-war games are different of "the humanity is going to die and there's no hope" ones, the objective of this game is to eradicate humanity, very different of what an anti-war movie/game proposes that's to save lives and end the war, not to destroy hope, and be a doomer during times of crisis.

Oct 27, 2017
Now this is an overreaction to the corona virus but my guess is this thread won't gain nearly as much traction as the ones where companies were simply trying to protect their employees.

rawd

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be so sad when octopuses start taking over and they ban Octodad.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Excuse me? I knew it was popular but not " the most popular paid game in China for many years" popular. Is there something I'm missing here or is that true?

On iOS at least, the game has been consistently in the top 3 paid games for years, actually. No sub genres or anything, it sits right next to Minecraft.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's why we are currently dealing with A Plague Tale: Innocence on their part for assuming so.