• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Usually when I see discussions about video game RPGs I see 2 that are considered the "Greatest of All Time".

Planescape: Torment and Chrono Trigger.

2 wildly different games with different tones and different depths yet each considered to be a masterclass in RPGs that has yet to be topped.

Also 2 games that never received true sequels for whatever reason. (Yes I know about Chrono Cross but it's barely a sequel to CT).

If you had to pick one, which one?

I have a hard time choosing. The D&D lover in me loves Torment but it's very wordy (not that's bad). While Trigger pretty much keeps the pace going at a steady trot and while it's fillee with emotion (just like Torment) it's not very deep (though it doesn't need to be) IMO.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Super hard choice of course, but I would have to give a slight edge to PST

I like the darker theme and generally I prefer PC interface games

But both are probably in my top-5 RPGs of all time. Which for me is very high praise because I've been playing them since mid-1980s and I'm over 40.

PST is definitely in my top-5. Chrono Trigger I'd have to think about, but easily in top-10.

Kinthalis

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I loved PST much more. It was just a much deeper experience for me. But the thing is, PST lacked a balance between other spects of RPGS that enjoy, combat being one of those aspects, also the UI hasn't aged well.

So if you told me which one would I pick up and play right now... I'd probably go chrono trigger, even though PST is, IMHO, the better, deeper RPG. Now, if you told me I could play a remaster of torment with improved UI then I'd change my answer.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I loved PST much more. It was just a much deeper experience for me. But the thing is, PST lacked a balance between other spects of RPGS that enjoy, combat being one of those aspects, also the UI hasn't aged well.

So if you told me which one would I pick up and play right now... I'd probably go chrono trigger, even though PST is, IMHO, the better, deeper RPG. Now, if you told me I could play a remaster of torment with improved UI then I'd change my answer.
IMO these types of discussions should only be answered based on how you felt about the game when it initially launched. Doesn't make sense to knock points off a game for UI problems compared to 2018 UIs.

I only judge and compare games based on when they first came out.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
I love both games, I've played PST 9 times and bought it 4 times (I own the original 4CD version, the 2CD version, the first GOG version, and the Enhanced Edition) and I've played Chrono like 5 times or so.

If I had to pick up and play one for casual fun, Chrono Trigger any day of the week. Regardless of plot, it's just fun.

Planescape to me is really like a good book. It's not something I can just revisit constantly, but it's so enthralling and engrossing that when I do I play through it in one big sitting usually every time. Planescape is "fun" too in its own way (especially the first couple times around, there's nothing like Planescape's universe), but the subject matter is pretty heavy hitting and it's one of the few games to actually make me think philosophically after the story ended.

Chacranajxy

Oct 29, 2017
Weird comparison, but Chrono Trigger is overwhelmingly the better game, in my view. PST has a more nuanced story, but that's about it. Chrono Trigger is better paced, has a much better combat system, way better aesthetics, and a lot of charm. But, they're both good.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I found Planescape basically unplayable and didn't like it at all, but I'm not a WRPG player. I've heard from people who love it for nearly two decades straight though. Chrono Trigger is straight up phenomenal.

So yeah I guess my view is different genres/incomparable.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Torment hits higher highs in what it does best at, but Chrono Trigger is the better all around package.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Torment has a brilliant plot and themes, fascinating world and characters, and great 'gameplay' in the dialog / adventure game sense. I don't honestly remember the music that much and the combat tended to be a distraction between the character and world interactions that formed the meat of the game.

I'd give Chrono Trigger the slight edge on the grounds of being a better-rounded package; the combat system is fun and interesting and it has one of the all-time best soundtracks. It doesn't aspire to the same artistic or literary heights, but it does well at pretty much everything it sets out to do.

Dannerz

Dec 19, 2017

The enhanced edition is very good.

Both games are great for any audience, but I feel like younger audiences will get more out of CT and older audiences will get more out of PST. Mainly because PST really covers themes that hit harder for people who have been on this Earth longer. Chrono has strong themes too but I feel like they are presented with a younger audience in mind.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Chrono Trigger is a very overrated game that should not represent the JRPG genre as a whole. PST is an accomplished video-game that tried and said something different, Chrono Trigger is literally none of that.

Final Fantasy VI during the same era would be a much better fit, because it shook up the genre by trying things that were fundamentally different, on top of being well-written.

Chrono Cross > PST > Chrono Trigger

If anything Chrono Cross is a better representative of the best the JRPG genre can offer in terms of writing and art design than Chrono Trigger.

Carl2291

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd put Chrono Trigger barely above Planescape Torment, but the real MVP in terms of RPG's is, and probably always will be, Baldur's Gate 2.

anthraxus

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Not into anime or JRPGs, so Planescape of course.

But as good as it is, it's only considered great for it's story elements (writing, setting, atmosphere, music, choices & consequences..)

Not the combat or encounters, which is kinda a shame being a D&D game and all, as that's usually an expected strength when it comes to those.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
PS:T suffers from the usual issues if ambitious RPGs from that era. Bugs, major features that are outright bad and unfinished, etc. Chrono Trigger has none of that.

I still go with PS:T because I love what it gets right so much. But CT is a master class in making a nearly perfect little RPG, and it probably appeals to way more people.

JustSomeone

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Planescape, of course.
CT is not even the best japanese RPG

Oct 25, 2017
The 20 hours I played of Planescape was an incredibly boring slog of meh art and unnecessary long-winded writing, whereas CT is my second favorite game of all time, so not a tough choice.

But these games are impossible to compare. They're completely different that hit different buttons for different people.

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Planescape is all about choices, Chrono Trigger is pretty linear. I like them both but for different reasons.

butman

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
One is the best WRPG, the other the best JRPG. They don't have to compete.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I'm obviously gonna pick PST but the game are so completely different in pretty much everything I feel like there really is no point in even comparing them.

Oct 25, 2017
One is the best WRPG, the other the best JRPG. They don't have to compete.

The consensus names for these genres seriously undersell the vast gulf of distance between their design principles and audiences. Such a comparison can only ever be a stand-in for which genre you prefer, unless there's someone here significantly more attached to western PC RPGs who wants to make the case for Chrono Trigger or someone substantially inclined towards JRPGs who wants to make the case for Planescape.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
CT because of better gameplay and pacing. PST is arguably the best written game ever but the combat is functional at best.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I don't think they're the best games in their subgenres.

One is a meh game with praised story, the other have praised gameplay and cookie cutter story.

It's silly to compare them. I feel it's the most Apple vs Orange discussion of the internet. I think Banana is the best.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love Planescape Torment but in my head canon it's more of a visual novel than a RPG

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't really compare the two but if I had a gun put my head, Chrono Trigger would be on top.

sonofsamsonite

The one who likes mustard
Nov 1, 2017
It's like comparing apples and Eskimos, but Planescape Torment is the best RPG of all time, so it wins easily.

Kinthalis

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
IMO these types of discussions should only be answered based on how you felt about the game when it initially launched. Doesn't make sense to knock points off a game for UI problems compared to 2018 UIs.

I only judge and compare games based on when they first came out.

Fair enough, not sure exactly what op was looking for. But yes, if it's not about taking the time since into account it's pst for me no doubt.

The enhanced edition is very good.

Both games are great for any audience, but I feel like younger audiences will get more out of CT and older audiences will get more out of PST. Mainly because PST really covers themes that hit harder for people who have been on this Earth longer. Chrono has strong themes too but I feel like they are presented with a younger audience in mind.

Oh man I forgot about the enhanced edition.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
PST has a way better story and overall game, but if I had the option I would probably choose Chrono Trigger. The only reason I say that, is Chrono Trigger is a lot easier to pick up and just have fun playing and aged extremely well. PST has a very bad UI compared to games now, and isn't easy to jump in and just have fun it takes a while.

Nanomage

Dec 21, 2017
Planescape is certainly the better role playing game,it has much better story,characters and setting while CT has better combat and is easier to get into.
Overall PT is the better game by some margin as far as I'm concerned,but it still lags behind Baldur's Gate 2,Ultima VII and Fallout 2 as far as the RPG GOAT's go.

Last edited:

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I'd say Chrono Trigger, and I consider Planescape to be a masterpiece in terms of narration and world building.
There's just some issues in terms of gameplay that CT doesn't have, it's just a better package.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chrono Trigger is a better game. Torment tells a better story. And I love both games dearly.

Yeah, this is my take on things too. PST was definitely not "fun" to play, but it was phenomenal experience nonetheless. CT is a more balanced package: great music, great characters, interesting story, fun combat system, etc.

NiceOne

Alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The one where I wasn't stuck at opening the door because I failed to use keys.