• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
weird thread necro (classic rides collection out today(?) tho!) but this is one of my favorite games as of the past couple of years. I bought it when I built my new computer November 2017 since it would be the first time I could meet the specs to run it and from then into mid-2018 I would just hop in every once awhile and have a blast building in sandbox mode. late last year I decided that I wanted to go through campaign mode... and my play time has gone up significantly.

I bought a bunch of the expansions and the first campaign world I completed was gulpee's island paradise 3/3 which hooked me in even harder. I'm not great at creating custom stuff (g-forces suck and I've spent hours trying to get rides to finally fit criteria!) but since then I've completed all ratings for captain lockjaw's buried treasures, princess amelie's fairy tale, chief beef's meaty challenge, and just got 3/9 for dex-r's science shenanigans. kinda sad I only have 3 more campaigns after this but I think I'll try a couple challenges?

I didn't think this was worth a LTTP thread, but I do want to say I'd instantly buy a collectors edition and can't wait to see what frontier develops puts out next (hopefully a zoo tycoon?)

great OT and one of the best games of the gen for sure.

OP
OP
SPRidley

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
weird thread necro (classic rides collection out today(?) tho!) but this is one of my favorite games as of the past couple of years. I bought it when I built my new computer November 2017 since it would be the first time I could meet the specs to run it and from then into mid-2018 I would just hop in every once awhile and have a blast building in sandbox mode. late last year I decided that I wanted to go through campaign mode... and my play time has gone up significantly.

I bought a bunch of the expansions and the first campaign world I completed was gulpee's island paradise 3/3 which hooked me in even harder. I'm not great at creating custom stuff (g-forces suck and I've spent hours trying to get rides to finally fit criteria!) but since then I've completed all ratings for captain lockjaw's buried treasures, princess amelie's fairy tale, chief beef's meaty challenge, and just got 3/9 for dex-r's science shenanigans. kinda sad I only have 3 more campaigns after this but I think I'll try a couple challenges?

I didn't think this was worth a LTTP thread, but I do want to say I'd instantly buy a collectors edition and can't wait to see what frontier develops puts out next (hopefully a zoo tycoon?)

great OT and one of the best games of the gen for sure.

Yay, more fans of the game!
Before i started my master's degree this year this game was my life, so im happy seeing new players on era.
Im surprised you enjoyed the campaign so much, most people, me included, treat this game as the ultimate build your own dream park, were your imagination is the limit.
Was watching the other day a video of the new rides pack and it looked great. I kmow for sure frontier is planning something great for the future of thia game amd I cant wait.
Thanks for posting your impressions!

Oct 27, 2017
Yay, more fans of the game!
Before i started my master's degree this year this game was my life, so im happy seeing new players on era.
Im surprised you enjoyed the campaign so much, most people, me included, treat this game as the ultimate build your own dream park, were your imagination is the limit.
Was watching the other day a video of the new rides pack and it looked great. I kmow for sure frontier is planning something great for the future of thia game amd I cant wait.
Thanks for posting your impressions!
don't get me wrong the sandbox mode is great fun.. but for someone who is somewhat creative but not really skilled in creating new items from scratch the sandbox mode is a bit intimidating. The career mode is great because it gives me strict goals that I can work towards while also being a little creative in how I solve those problems.

the first time I realized how much effort goes into creating simple buildings.... I deleted a clown restroom, which only deleted the restroom itself and left the clown head in tact. deleting it piece by piece kind of blew my mind. since then I've just accepted that using other people's blueprints will work for me - which is also great to see the type of content others have made from scratch. I'm sure I'll delve back into sandbox mode eventually :P

cheers!

OP
OP
SPRidley

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
don't get me wrong the sandbox mode is great fun.. but for someone who is somewhat creative but not really skilled in creating new items from scratch the sandbox mode is a bit intimidating. The career mode is great because it gives me strict goals that I can work towards while also being a little creative in how I solve those problems.

the first time I realized how much effort goes into creating simple buildings.... I deleted a clown restroom, which only deleted the restroom itself and left the clown head in tact. deleting it piece by piece kind of blew my mind. since then I've just accepted that using other people's blueprints will work for me - which is also great to see the type of content others have made from scratch. I'm sure I'll delve back into sandbox mode eventually :P

cheers!

Glad you are having lots of fun with the game. If you want some background content of creative people doing incredible things with this game try to search for youtube channels like Silvarret, Rudi Renkamel, Mike & Jon, Deladysigner.... I also made some really big stuff in the game on my youtube channel, sadly I havent touch the game since summer.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Has any one got any decent beginner guides for this?

I'd put hundreds of hours in to RCT1/2/Xbox back in the day, but couldn't get to grips with RCT3 and the same is true for this. I just can't adapt to the 3D cam and feel like I'm so slow actually playing the game.

OP
OP
SPRidley

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Has any one got any decent beginner guides for this?

I'd put hundreds of hours in to RCT1/2/Xbox back in the day, but couldn't get to grips with RCT3 and the same is true for this. I just can't adapt to the 3D cam and feel like I'm so slow actually playing the game.

As you said one of your problems is adpating to 3D, so this video of the controls may help you:

Theres also I cam that i usually like to use that is like FPS, with WASD controlling movement and QE controlling elevation. You need to press F for it IIRC.

If you need further tutorials of how to control building/pathing/terraforming, here is a good playlist by Rudi:

Hope this helps :D

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
As you said one of your problems is adpating to 3D, so this video of the controls may help you:

Theres also I cam that i usually like to use that is like FPS, with WASD controlling movement and QE controlling elevation. You need to press F for it IIRC.

If you need further tutorials of how to control building/pathing/terraforming, here is a good playlist by Rudi:

Hope this helps :D

Cheers. Is this the same for Planet Coaster?

OP
OP
SPRidley

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Cheers. Is this the same for Planet Coaster?
Apart from very small adjustments here and there (I think pathing has a new tickbox now that does something I still havent use, and terraforming having new voxel tools that are amazing to make straights and cubes), controls, pathing, building, camera and terraformiing should be 99% the same in planet coaster and planet zoo.
Management is the thing that most changes between both games, being a lot more in depth in planet zoo.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of getting some of the dlc's since they're on sale. Spooky, Adventure and Studios. Are those three considered the best?

OP
OP
SPRidley

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of getting some of the dlc's since they're on sale. Spooky, Adventure and Studios. Are those three considered the best?
So, the thing is, no dlc brings new gameplay mechanics to the table, thats because all new mechanics that were introduced by the payed dlc were given for free on an update the same day. Studios probably has the most "different gameplay" type of rides though (with basically tower of terror and harry potter kuka arm with screens) that are not found in the free dlc.

Now, this dlc were made for creative builders and people that wanted more rides, for that non of them are bad choices, with the stronger probably the ones you said. Spooky brings great interior themings, studios bring city theming and with spooky it has the most realistic scaled scenery in the game (something creative people asked for, the smaller, the better to build thing out of the box) and adventure has the best vegetation (something really needed that Frontier only get 100% right on planet zoo. Also the jungle cruise if that tickles your fancy).

If you are a serious builder i would get the 3 and probably see if any of the other ones seem to have nice scenery for you (for example worlds fair, i think it was called that, brings epcot world showcase scenery, and each country has a new shop with typical food).

If you are not a creative builder or do not need more variation to your rides i wouldnt get any of them though, but then, planet coaster is a great sandbox game, but not a great management game (thats planet zoo), so i suppose if you are playing the game and looking at the dlcs its because you love to build dream parks.

OP
OP
SPRidley

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing this game a lot and was wondering if we'd be down for a competition or contest?
Hey!
Would have loved to, but I have zero time right now. BUT theres a huge community of planet coaster and zoo players that usually are on discords, twitter and youtube. Maybe you can go that route?
I recommend you visiting the brocoaster discord, they are a friendly bunch and usually have constests (of really high quality) from time to time.
Here is a link
https://discord.gg/x9UDSTF

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Hey!
Would have loved to, but I have zero time right now. BUT theres a huge community of planet coaster and zoo players that usually are on discords, twitter and youtube. Maybe you can go that route?
I recommend you visiting the brocoaster discord, they are a friendly bunch and usually have constests (of really high quality) from time to time.
Here is a link
https://discord.gg/x9UDSTF

Damn, would love to do an ERA one. Maybe I'll look into that other Discord server. Thanks!