• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 2, 2017
WHAT IS IT?

Planetarian is a visual novel from Key/Visual Arts. It's only about 4 hours long, but at $9.99 it's both cheaper and longer than a movie so I was quite satisfied. I'm always down for things that aren't going to clog up my backlog. This game actually came out on Switch back at the end of January (2019) but never got an OT. It was originally released in 2004 for Japanese PCs, and has seen a few other releases through the years (PS2, iOS back in 2013 in English) but this version has updated visuals and full voice acting.

planetarian-switch_09hnkik.jpg

WHAT IS IT ABOUT?

After three decades of chemical and atomic warfare, humankind is almost entirely eradicated. And endless acidic rain falls from the sky. The warring factions are long gone, only the last remnants of their final desperate measure remain: autonomous and nearly unkillable war mechs patrolling strategic areas still fighting a pointless war long over.

A bitter and cynical former child soldier raised in this brutal world clings to life looting ruined cities, alcohol and cigarettes the greatest treasures. He ventures into an abandoned cordoned off dead city, whose environmental protection bubble has long since eroded from the acid rain. Mindless war mechs are its only remaining inhabitants.

He stumbles across what he hopes to be a military radar dome, but instead finds it to be the flooded ruin of an old department store...with a planetarium at the top.

Inside, he finds an android girl who is improbably still functional thanks to an old military emergency power conduit. She is just a cheap consumer model, made to welcome people and host shows at the planetarium. She has no understanding of what's been happening in the world outside. And she has been waiting 30 years to welcome their 2,500,000th customer. She knows she is malfunctioning, but all she wants in the world is to make people happy, and to show the special presentation they had prepared for that visitor.

Day after day, she stands at the entrance, hopefully and poetically beckoning to customers who will never come, in a polluted world without stars.

2sjli.jpg

WHAT'S INTERESTING ABOUT IT?

Man.

I have never had a game make me feel like this. I'm a grown-ass man and I'm not ashamed to admit it had me bawling by the end. The only other times I can even remember a piece of media hitting me this hard was Safe Area Goražde and that time in grade 6 my teacher showed us an environmental film about a construction site where baby chicks got burned. Maybe Planetarian hit me a little harder because it resonated with some things in my life, but it legit took me a couple of days to fully recalibrate after finishing it.

I would have thought it was just some cheapo moe otaku thing from the cover, but a positive review on ladiesgamers.com assured me this wasn't some exploitative fanservicey thing. And what I found is they were right, it held some genuinely interesting themes about human consciousness, what it is to feel, what constitutes meaning, the nature of Heaven and the soul, the suffering and folly of war and environmental degredation, and most centrally, faith and hope. But mostly, it makes you really feel for the game's central character.

Hearing her call out for people so longingly again and again, knowing that there's no hope for her wishes to ever be fulfilled...

"Won't you come to the planetarium?
The beautiful twinkling of eternity that will never fade, no matter what.
All the stars in the sky are waiting for you."

It's at once lovely and heartbreaking, which pretty much describes the whole thing.

TBH I probably have to make it my GOTY, nothing else left this kind of impression.

4ok5l.jpg

MrBanballow

Not changing this tag
May 1, 2019
Who's that Pokémon?!
NnmWr4Xl.jpg

It's Miss Jena!!
vjmtc3ll.jpg

Love this story, even if it's designed to leave me just a little broken.

Last edited:

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I did it on steam a few years ago, it's quite nice and i liked it, but not on the level of the other key games like clannad or little buster (granted, they are like 50-60 hours so it's not the same)

currently 3.5 $ for another 24 hours before the sale i over!

at this price you should pick it

Last edited:

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I did it on steam a few years ago, it's quite nice and i liked it, but not on the level of the other key games like clannad or little buster (granted, they are like 50-60 hours so it's not the same)

currently 3 $ for another 24 hours before the sale i over!

at this price you should pick iit

is this the remastered version?

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
End spoilers.

The ending didn't really leave me feeling much because it was strongly telegraphed. If you played any Key games, you know what they try to do. Also because they made the characterization of the Planetarian guide way too robotic. It felt like a machine rather than a "living" entity.

This is completely unrelated to Planetarian, but I'm very harshly critical of works that characterize androids/cyborgs/robots as extremely human, yet have humans treat them as sub-human. That strikes me as really bad writing.

OP
OP
Mizeris Lutz Ether Lanai
Dec 2, 2017
This is completely unrelated to Planetarian, but I'm very harshly critical of works that characterize androids/cyborgs/robots as extremely human, yet have humans treat them as sub-human. That strikes me as really bad writing.

I feel the exact opposite. Blade Runner 2049 opens with people hurling verbal abuse at Gosling's character as he's just walking back to his apartment; watching that scene, I thought "yeah...that's exactly how it's going to go." The current thinking is that the reason people treat each other so badly on the internet is because the others don't quite register as human to our brains, just text and an abstraction of a 'person' behind it. Also, with the threat of physical reprisal removed, a lot of the inner checks against aggression go as well. If we had androids who couldn't fight back or get their feelings really hurt, but still registered as "human" enough for people to find denigrating them satisfying/cathartic, there would 100% be people treating them awfully, because there's no repercussion to it. Not everyone, but just look at how bad people already are even out in the real world to those they see as less human than them.

Since the junker was traumatized and numb from his upbringing, and spent his life being hunted by machines, it made sense he'd be cold to something that initially just registered to him as a glorified vending machine. That really lays the foundation of the story's emotional arc and grants greater meaning to what happens.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I thought about it a few times, but I had too many VNs to play last year (and I even skipped some, like Root Letter and Yu-No, which I wanted to play). The situation is the same at the moment since I am currently playing the Grisalia trilogy, but one day I will buy it (I have also 6€ of credits coming from gold points).

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017

currently 3.5 $ for another 24 hours before the sale i over!

at this price you should pick it

Don't recommend the HD version to people, it doesn't have an English translation. The version that does is:

I thought about it a few times, but I had too many VNs to play last year (and I even skipped some, like Root Letter and Yu-No, which I wanted to play). The situation is the same at the moment since I am currently playing the Grisalia trilogy, but one day I will buy it (I have also 6€ of credits coming from gold points).
It's only about 4-5 hours long, you could knock it out in one sitting. In fact it'd probably be a good title to use as a break between Grisaia entries as it's pretty easy to burn out on them (you're looking at 90 hours for the first entry and like 30 each for the next two).

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
the first "proper" VN (i.e. not Phoenix Wright etc) I read, and still one of my favs.
Planetarian tells a simple story and then ends, a marvel in a medium that is blighted by padding and poor pacing.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Short and sweet, one of my favourite VNs and one that still brings a tear to my eye whenever I'm reminded of it.

I find it a really good introduction to normal VNs for people looking to dig a bit deeper after going through the usual Ace Attorney > Zero Escape > Danganronpa route, no fan service, no bullshit, a focused and emotional story that is cheap and only requires a small time investment.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
End spoilers.

The ending didn't really leave me feeling much because it was strongly telegraphed. If you played any Key games, you know what they try to do. Also because they made the characterization of the Planetarian guide way too robotic. It felt like a machine rather than a "living" entity.

Yeah, I remember feeling that way. My brother strongly recommended the game to me but the I recall feeling more like the robot girl was just following programming rather than a feeling of loneliness.

Racism to robots does seem pretty puzzling when robots look exactly like humans, though I guess racism isn't logical to begin with.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Don't recommend the HD version to people, it doesn't have an English translation. The version that does is:

It's only about 4-5 hours long, you could knock it out in one sitting. In fact it'd probably be a good title to use as a break between Grisaia entries as it's pretty easy to burn out on them (you're looking at 90 hours for the first entry and like 30 each for the next two).

oh damn... it has french and many other language i assumed english was in there too

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

This is also a weirdly conflicting thought for me, because on one hand it also sticks out to me when it happens (not just robots, but e.g. sentient aliens) and feels like the characters are reacting as plot devices rather than people, for dramatic reasons. But on the other hand, humans have treated and routinely continue to treat other humans as (often literally) sub-human for the most inane of reasons like skin color, so perhaps it's just a case of Reality is Unrealistic?

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I read this kinetic novel many years ago and continue to go back and re-read it about once a year. For those who are repelled by the VN format there was a short anime series produced a few years ago that does a solid adaptation.

Yumemi is too damn cute and I love seeing her interact with the gruff Junker, slowly healing his callous heart.

OP
OP
Mizeris Lutz Ether Lanai
Dec 2, 2017
I read this kinetic novel many years ago and continue to go back and re-read it about once a year. For those who are repelled by the VN format there was a short anime series produced a few years ago that does a solid adaptation.

Yumemi is too damn cute and I love seeing her interact with the gruff Junker, slowly healing his callous heart.

Wow. As much as I want to revisit Yumemi, I don't know if I have the emotional constitution to go back to it every year.