• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I'm planning on getting a Switch (and BOTW for starters -- as a nearly lifelong Zelda fan it's irked me a lot not to have played this yet!) in May. But I'm not that looped into the Nintendo rumor mill anymore, so I'm wondering is there any reason I should maybe hold off for later in the year? Any indication that a price drop or a revised model at the same price are coming soon-ish? Just don't want to finally pull the trigger and then kick myself 6 months later for not waiting when something cheaper or better ends up dropping.

edit: fwiw the reason I specified May is because it's my birthday in May and would be getting it basically as a gift to myself. No other reason for that month in particular!

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Most of the rumors seem to be regarding a Switch Mini. If that's your jam, then wait for that. Otherwise, you can jump in now.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
It's always a good time to buy a Switch.
There won't be a price drop anytime soon because it's still selling super well. And rumors with regards to a possible new SKU are all over the place.
You won't regret getting one now - there's so many great games you can get for relatively cheap.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't hurt to wait until after E3. Are you planning on using it for mostly portable or at home? The rumor on the mini is that it would be more focused on portability. That wouldn't interest me as my Switch stays docked 99% of the time.

There won't be a price drop on the current model.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
since you're planning to buy one in May I feel like there's no harm in just waiting for E3

but also since you're planning to play Breath of the Wild you should have maybe bought a Switch 2 years ago

Almyn

Oct 26, 2017
N-Ireland
I was going to say what's the hurry, Another 6 months wouldn't hurt but if you want one just go for it. You could be waiting for months and there still may be no revision or price drop announced. It's a great machine. If you just want to play BOTW though, I'm sure a wii-u would be pretty cheap nowadays.

Oct 25, 2017
Switch is gonna be pretty nuts starting in June/July.
Rest of the year is stacked, you could probably get one and be fine. There's an acceptable bundle with $35 in eShop credit right now.

So either May or wait till e3 would be perfectly fine

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, May seems like a great time for a purchase! We know that some kind of new model is coming, but it's unlikely to be a Switch "Pro". Chances are high that it'll be announced or leaked by May, so you'll have time to consider.

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
You read my mind, OP. I was going to create a thread: "I want to buy a Switch but Wall Street Journal said a new one is coming out this year. What do I do now ?"
They also said that an upcoming release this summer was highly possible. That's why I'm so uncertain. Switch Pro or Mini or...

OP
OP
Blader

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't hurt to wait until after E3. Are you planning on using it for mostly portable or at home? The rumor on the mini is that it would be more focused on portability. That wouldn't interest me as my Switch stays docked 99% of the time.

Mostly if not entirely at home. I think my fiance would probably leave me if she saw me bring it out into the world. :lol

And since everyone's asking, it's my birthday in May so I was going to get a Switch as a gift to myself, ha. But point taken that E3 is pretty close to then anyway.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Around this time in the lifespan of most Nintendo systems is when it gets tough to determine when to buy because there is a risk of a new model. Most hints are towards some sort of Switch Lite with undetermined features at this point.

I really like the base Switch hardware for what its worth and I don't think there will be a spec upgrade yet.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
The rumor was about a switch mini at the end of 2019 fiscal year right?
do you want to wait till march 2020 OP?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I've been holding off buying a second switch (since my daughter took over mine) because of the rumors, but even though it's unlikely we'll get an upgraded version, I'm waiting until E3 as well.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just get one and use the $35 eShop credit they're offering toward something nice. (I'd recommend Wargroove, Moonlighter, Black Bird or Katamari Damacy)

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I've been holding out buying one too, because I refuse to pay the current price for what it is. Hopefully It'll drop by about ÂŁ100 in time for the next Pokemon, I think that's my sweet spot. Basically when it hits ÂŁ199, i'll buy the thing.

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
Honestly, I play the Switch almost exclusively these days, and find myself going back to games like BotW again, and again. I don't do that very often these days, so there is definitely something about this little system. Gameplay over graphics, and the fact that I can take it with me on the road for work is amazing. If you've waited this long, no harm in waiting longer

But you wouldn't be upset with the purchase either

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Mostly if not entirely at home. I think my fiance would probably leave me if she saw me bring it out into the world. :lol

And since everyone's asking, it's my birthday in May so I was going to get a Switch as a gift to myself, ha. But point taken that E3 is pretty close to then anyway.
Next thing you know your fiance tries it herself a little, likes it so much she takes over your Switch, and then she takes it out into the world herself (and you need to buy a second one)...
On a more serious note, that still doesn't mean you will use it only/mostly docked. 90% of my play time with the Switch is at home, but 99% of that is in handheld mode.
As to your question, I'd buy one now, but if you are waiting until your birthday, might as well wait for E3. The danger though is that on the one hand, nothing comes out by then either, and on the other hand, the rumors only intensify... Ending up in your delaying buying a Switch again and again and again, while all this time you could have already been playing lots of great games.

Last edited:

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Why three months from now? What's your reason for delay? Why not just keep an eye on a place like Slickdeals for a bargain? I grabbed a second switch brand new for $170 around 5 months ago.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I'm planning on getting a Switch (and BOTW for starters -- as a nearly lifelong Zelda fan it's irked me a lot not to have played this yet!) in May. But I'm not that looped into the Nintendo rumor mill anymore, so I'm wondering is there any reason I should maybe hold off for later in the year? Any indication that a price drop or a revised model at the same price are coming soon-ish? Just don't want to finally pull the trigger and then kick myself 6 months later for not waiting when something cheaper or better ends up dropping.

edit: fwiw the reason I specified May is because it's my birthday in May and would be getting it basically as a gift to myself. No other reason for that month in particular!

If you can wait til may, then i'd wait one more month for E3. If they had a revision to announce for the year, it would *theoretically* be announced by then. Otherwise, you won't see a price drop or good deals until the holidays most likely.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, just buy it. Like, you're rolling the dice for Nintendo to optimistically lower the prices or release a new model. Even if they do release it, it probably wouldn't release until December 2019 at best. Treat yourself to a bday gift. Hell, if you have the money, buy it now and just self-gift yourself a game on your birthday.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Revision should be a mini, cheaper switch, somehow like 2ds was to 3ds.

If you're interested, wait for it, otherwise buy it now or wait for Black friday

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
Wait till E3 and see if they announce a revised model. If not, you can buy one then. Plus, there are usually sales around E3 week so you'll be able to pick up some of the big games for cheap

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
May is too late, you can't finish Zelda and Mario Odyssey before the onslaught of new releases.
(let alone so many other games you have to play).

Also, Nintendo has never announced a revision during E3. These things cold drop on you when you least expect it, because they don't want the revisions to hurt current sales (Sony has had problems with this, where Playstation sales declined and flatlined for a month as people waited for the revision). Nintendo DS Lite was revealed in February, 3DS XL end of June, and both New 3DS and 2DS at the end of August (though both did release much later over here, but they also came near the end of the lifecycle).

"Wait until..." posts don't make any sense. The only slightly reasonable thing is that if there's a mini/pared down version, it will arrive for the holidays to sell to kids. (Wii Mini released in November, 2DS in October). So er, if you want a cheap version, you could wait till the end of the year and they may release one, or not.

Last edited:

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Switch Pro incoming this March. All games will be released for 40. You will be paid a dollar every year you subscribe to NO service family plan /s

Or be like me, waiting for Pokemon Gen 8.

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017
If you're a life long Zelda fan then why haven't you already got one? BOTW is incredible.

Just look at how price has gone so far. It has barely moved. There are offers every no and then, but nothing major.

There will be revision but it won't limit what you can play on yours. You can always upgrade at the time. Earliest for a revision would be end of year, but personally don't see it happening until next year at the earliest. Nintendo are shifting units and so they don't need to split the market.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean we're two years in, if you jump in now you'll have plenty of available games to discover already, which should keep you busy for like until 2020. That's without counting this year releases. :lol

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
There are no legitimate rumours for a revision outside of a WSJ article, and even that is rife with speculation. In fact, Furukawa explicitly said even more recently that Nintendo has no plans for a revision.

Buy it when you have the money and like the games that are available.

Last edited: