• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Yes I will be turning off motion smoothing

What ones really pop in 4k?

I heard great things about how the increased resolution and HDR really improved upon Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The following were considered some of the best 4K BD releases of 2018 (per Blu-ray.com), and I recommend them all:

- 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Deadpool 2
- Blade Runner 2049
- IT
- Annihilation
- Avengers: Infinity War
- The Dark Crystal
- Coco

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
213246_large.jpg

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
ET and Blade Runner are my personal favorites for old movies looking better than you have ever seen them before.

Modern stuff... The Cybertron moments of Bumblebee are fucking insane looking. Wreck it Ralph 2 is awesome.

Batman V Superman looks really good, but you only want to watch Batman and Superman fight, and the warehouse scene, obviously.

John Wick 2 is awesome. I don't know. Most things look pretty good. Batman Begins is the worst looking I have seen. But the movie is awesome, at least.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Blade Runner, The Revanent, Schindlers List, Saving Private Ryan are all fantastic on 4K Blu Ray. :) Make sure your Blu Ray Player supports Dolby Vision. I have the LG UP 970 and it's been great for me. Dead silent for movies

Deleted member 28076

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Into the Spider-Verse, The Matrix, Fury Road, Hereditary, Suspiria (both new and old, though new doesn't have a disc release - bleh), Last Jedi. Blade Runner is merely okay. The Nolan collection is really disappointing, Terminator 2 is an outright disaster. Really wish Mandy had a 4K HDR release but it was apparently filmed in digital 1080.

Which TV are you thinking of getting? OLED vs LED may matter here.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not the first time I heard that.

The only Nolan 4k I would want would be The Prestige which is easily my favorite Nolan movie.

I got them all, cause I love them all. But, begins looks so bad at times. Some scenes people's faces are just bright red cause the colors are fucked, other scenes have that nice plastic look from being over sharpened.

I think the rest of them look good to great. Dunkirk will test the limits of your speakers. Last I knew Prestige had gone out of print and the US version was climbing in value on eBay.

BdoUK

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Most of the titles mentioned so far are great. While HDR got off to a bit of a rocky start (tone mapping was a mess early on) overall I've found UHD to be a very nice upgrade over BD for nearly all films I've watched on the format.

Also keep in mind that film scanning techniques have advanced since the early years of BD so we are getting downright amazing levels of detail from older films like 2001 and Alien. While most newer films are from 2K DIs the HDR pass helps set them apart from their BD counterparts even though detail may not be greatly improved.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Most of the titles mentioned so far are great. While HDR got off to a bit of a rocky start (tone mapping was a mess early on) overall I've found UHD to be a very nice upgrade over BD for nearly all films I've watched on the format.

Also keep in mind that film scanning techniques have advanced since the early years of BD so we are getting downright amazing levels of detail from older films like 2001 and Alien. While most newer films are from 2K DIs the HDR pass helps set them apart from their BD counterparts even though detail may not be greatly improved.
Die Hard and Pet Sematary look fantastic! So i can vouch for this.

Master Of Illusion

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Don't skimp on the Nolan collection (Batman Begins is a step down from the rest of the discs visually, but it's still an improvement over the standard Blu-Ray).

BR 2049 looks great, but BR Final Cut is some demo disc shit. Holy Lord...

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
i watched blade runner 2049 on a 4k bluray and an OLED and now nothing is good enough any more

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Blade Runner and 2001 are some next level shit. Insane amounts of detail, show off HDR (Especially if you get OLED) extremely well, and have wonderful grain to make them look like the most pristine FILM prints ever.

Going to digitally shot stuff, Pacific Rim for showing off HDR contrast and Aquaman for the color palette.

But seriously, Blade Runner and 2001 are in a league of their own. WB aint fucking around with those titles.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Movies released before year 2000 didn't have DI, so they can have new pristine looking 4k scans from film. (Brother where art thou was first movie with full DIigital Intermediate.)

After that most movies got 2k DI and quality does vary.

Mechashiva

Jan 7, 2018
Starship Troopers has been one of my favorite 4k upgrades. Incredibles looked 3-d in there it's so nice.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
Most of the must-have 4K releases have already been mentioned, but Alien is coming out next week and it seems like it'll be a stunning release. The original film already looks gorgeous enough so I have good faith that the 4K is going to be top-tier.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Most of the must-have 4K releases have already been mentioned, but Alien is coming out next week and it seems like it'll be a stunning release. The original film already looks gorgeous enough so I have good faith that the 4K is going to be top-tier.
So hyped for next week and can finally replace my blu ray :D

Starship Troopers is a really good 4K release too. Seconding this.
Yup it looks fantastic

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
i watched blade runner 2049 on a 4k bluray and an OLED and now nothing is good enough any more
everyone says br 2049 but that movie was crazy dark in hdr for me
2049 on an OLED is incredible. But if it is showing crazy dark, might be a calibration issue.

Dest look at the OG Blade Runner. It is gorgeous, and you also get that beautiful film grain in the image too.

A dark horse entry, Unforgiven. It isn't showy on any specific level, but it looks like the most pristine and beautiful film print of the film ever. How a catalog HDR release should be.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
For sure get Bladerunner 2049. The Revenant is a great release as well. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 as well.

Planet earth 2 is some good demo material.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Blade Runner 2049
John Wick 1 and 2
Mad Max: Fury Road
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
The Last Jedi

I heard Pacific Rim looks good too.

Last edited:

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Blade Runner 2049
Blue Planet 2
John Wick 2
The Revenant
2001 Space Odyssey

Oh shit. Hyped!

We ever get The Thing on 4k? I waited for ever and just gave up lol

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049
Pick up the John Wick, Matrix, Mission: Impossible and Christopher Nolan box sets, for sure.

Watched Aquaman twice this past week and it's up there with Pacific Rim for HDR demo material.
Also, in the super flashy Comic Book style, Guardians 2 and Thor Ragnarok.

More subdued, would be Sicaro and Saving Private Ryan.

Luc Besson movies are worth checking out (if you can get past his unpleasantness) as the dude is really into 4K. The Fifth Element, Leon, Lucy and Valarian are all super well done.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Oh yeah definitely also vouching for Into the Spider-verse.
Can second that recommendation as well. In addition to being probably the best superhero film ever, it is a showcase for 4k and especially HDR.

And again, I cannot oversell how good Aquaman looks. The film itself may not be that great, but the technical merits are absolutely tip top.

EDIT: CandySTX damn good call on Matrix. That is another great showcase for HDR content with the black levels and such. I need to grab the sequels soon, but the OG is a stellar 4K disc for demo purposes, and the sound mix took a big step up over the old releases too.

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
We ever get The Thing on 4k? I waited for ever and just gave up lol
Arrow in the UK did a 4K scan of the movie but they only release regular blu-ray. So there's a "mastered at 4K" version available, for whatever that is worth.

If they'll let another company release it on UHD, like StudioCanal has been doing for The Evil Dead and a bunch of John Carpenter movies, has yet to be seen.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Dest look at the OG Blade Runner. It is gorgeous, and you also get that beautiful film grain in the image too.

A dark horse entry, Unforgiven. It isn't showy on any specific level, but it looks like the most pristine and beautiful film print of the film ever. How a catalog HDR release should be.

I'll have to pick it up and ask my buddy if he's down to watch it. He's got the setup I'd love to have at my place.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I know it's not a easy movie to watch,but I highly recommend Schindlers List. It looks fantastic in Dolby Vision. They really did a great job on the restoration. And it shows off the deep blacks if you have an OLED

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Can second that recommendation as well. In addition to being probably the best superhero film ever, it is a showcase for 4k and especially HDR.

And again, I cannot oversell how good Aquaman looks. The film itself may not be that great, but the technical merits are absolutely tip top.

EDIT: CandySTX damn good call on Matrix. That is another great showcase for HDR content with the black levels and such. I need to grab the sequels soon, but the OG is a stellar 4K disc for demo purposes, and the sound mix took a big step up over the old releases too.
I've watched quite a few UHD blurays now and none of them can match Aquaman. It looks utterly mind-blowing.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I've watched quite a few UHD blurays now and none of them can match Aquaman. It looks utterly mind-blowing.
Say what you will about the movie itself, but the AV presentation on it is absolutely nuts. The Atmos mix is tip top, but on an OLED the visuals are next level shit. You get those dark shadows but also the extreme bright color pop. It is designed to sell HDR.

Oct 27, 2017
Say what you will about the movie itself, but the AV presentation on it is absolutely nuts. The Atmos mix is tip top, but on an OLED the visuals are next level shit. You get those dark shadows but also the extreme bright color pop. It is designed to sell HDR.
Yep, this is the kind of film that really showcases HDR. The scene where they are entering Atlantis for the first time is a feast for the eyes in HDR but the whole movie looks incredible.

OnkelC

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of good recommendations so far. I'd also recommend Thor 3, Ready Player One and Valerian for visual excellence.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Blade Runner
The Patriot
The Matrix
War For the Planet of the Apes
Starship Troopers
The Fifth Element
Braveheart
Ghost in the Shell (if you have an OLED this movie is amazing to show off because of the deep blacks it uses in a ton of scenes)
Gladiator
Hacksaw Ridge
Saving Private Ryan
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Neon Demon
The Revenant
Life of Pi (if you want colors then this is one of the best to show that)
Planet Earth II
Blue Planet II (both this and Planet Earth II are AMAZING when it comes to HDR)
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (movie isn't great, but visually it's a looker)
Pacific Rim
John Wick 2

If you want one to stay away from then it'd be Terminator 2, sadly, unless you don't mind heavy use of DNR (which makes skin textures look like wax) and a new color tone that makes the film look noticeably blue throughout instead of just at certain specific scenes like it originally was (usually at night or in the prison scene).

Alien is one I'd keep an eye out for too, from early reports it's shaping up to be amazing.

Last edited: