• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Blade Runner

If you want one to stay away from then it'd be Terminator 2, sadly, unless you don't mind heavy use of DNR (which makes skin textures look like wax) and a new color tone that makes the film look noticeably blue throughout instead of just at certain specific scenes like it originally was (usually at night or in the prison scene).

Alien is one I'd keep an eye out for too, from early reports it's shaping up to be amazing.
They screwed up Terminator 2? What a bummer :( They did the same with the regular Blu Ray if i remembered correctly.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I got them all, cause I love them all. But, begins looks so bad at times. Some scenes people's faces are just bright red cause the colors are fucked, other scenes have that nice plastic look from being over sharpened.

I think the rest of them look good to great. Dunkirk will test the limits of your speakers. Last I knew Prestige had gone out of print and the US version was climbing in value on eBay.
I was planing to replace my Dark Knight Trilogy on Bluray with the 4K one but maybe that's not the best idea.

Shame.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
They screwed up Terminator 2? What a bummer :( They did the same with the regular Blu Ray if i remembered correctly.

Yep, it sucks too because a movie like T2 deserves to have a masterful 4k release, like say, Blade Runner.

You can read one review here that talks about it:
https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/49326/terminator2judgmentday4kultrahdbluray.html

"As mentioned in my review of the U.K. import, the DNR may not be Predator levels of atrocity, but it is nonetheless bad and disheartening for an action classic, and there are also several instances of aliasing and moiré effects along the sharpest edges and in light fixtures.

Despite these few positives sprinkled throughout, a majority of the 4K presentation lacks warmth and often feels flat. And this is related to the original color timing having been changed to a steelier blue and the ever-popular orange-teal ugliness. Cameron made a similar change to Aliens, but it doesn't feel nearly as dramatic and unattractive as seen here. All in all, I imagine purists and cinephiles will find this video presentation a travesty while the more forgiving fans will enjoy and possibly even applaud the results. "

Sep 7, 2018
The Panasonic DP-UB420 4K player is amazing value for the money. It does wonders for upscaling of regular blurays on a 4K television. Going from a PlayStation 3 AS a bluray player to the Panasonic was almost like the jump from DVD to bluray in my eyes.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
The Panasonic DP-UB420 4K player is amazing value for the money. It does wonders for upscaling of regular blurays on a 4K television. Going from a PlayStation 3 AS a bluray player to the Panasonic was almost like the jump from DVD to bluray in my eyes.
I heard good things about that player. I own a LG UP 970 and it's been fantastic for me. Dead silent for movies and Dolby Vision support.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
As for players, I was using an Xbox one X to playbacl discs on an LG B7 OLED but I wanted a standalone as well and got
a Sony UBP-X700 since it also had Dolby Vision support (Xbox only does Dolby Vision for streamed content apparently).
The Sony UBP-X700 is utter trash and garbage and I've had nothing but problems with movies occasionally locking up (then playing fine at other times), audio drop outs and pictures cutting out even on blurays. I just use the Xbox nowdays with a media remote and its fine. I'll eventually look at another standalone player but will likley go LG or Panasonic.

As for movies, get the movies you like. I'll never understand people getting terrible movies to show off a TV/sound system.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon UK has The Fog, Prince of Darkness, They Live, and Escape From New York. All told $87 to ship to the US.

2001, The Matrix, Blade Runner, Planet Earth 2, Blue Planet 2, and Starship Troopers all blew me away. The only disappointing disc in my (small) collection so far is Terminator 2.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
2001: A Space Odyssey blew my fucking mind.

Also Avengers: Infinity War, Blade Runner 2049, Mad Max: Fury Road. The Dark Knight trilogy looks fucking amazing as well, especially during the IMAX scenes in the sequels.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I will be turning off motion smoothing

What ones really pop in 4k?

I heard great things about how the increased resolution and HDR really improved upon Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Lots of great recommendations in this thread... HOWEVER, if this will be your TV for the foreseeable future, and you'll play games on it/planning to get next gen consoles, make sure it has both really good HDR, and that it has HDMI 2.1.

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark

How is the noise level on it? Right now Im using Xbox One X and its awful. Its so noisy, it takes ages to start up and some times it doesnt recognise that theres a Blu ray in it.

Sep 7, 2018
How is the noise level on it? Right now Im using Xbox One X and its awful. Its so noisy, it takes ages to start up and some times it doesnt recognise that theres a Blu ray in it.

Some barely noticeable white noise when no content is being played, but I never noticed anything when playing a movie.

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
Others have said it already, but Aquaman is my most recent 4k purchase that wowed me. Absolutely great visuals. Wonder Woman and BvS look great as well if you are into the DC films.
Also:
Blade Runner and 2049
John Wick 1 and 2
Avengers Infinity War
Nolan Collection (but Interstellar Dunkirk, and TDKR in particular)
Ready Player One
Star Trek Beyond

I have a pretty large collection but these are the ones coming to mind that blew me away.

Sep 7, 2018
Some barely noticeable white noise when no content is being played, but I never noticed anything when playing a movie.

Also keep in mind that it supports hdr10+ and not dolby vision. I have a Samsung TV so no dolby vision does not affect me since Samsung tvs do not support it anyway.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For some odd reason, Cameron greenlit this terrible transfer and I'm unsure why, and I'm unsure if I want the remasters he'll greenlight for The Abyss and True Lies... Terminator 2 on regular blu-ray wasn't great, but it's still better than the new remaster imo.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Saving Private Ryan looks so good in 4K that for the first time ever I actually felt sick watching the opening sequence. I guess the extra detail enhanced my sense of the actors' presence enough that it slightly tricked my brain into thinking real people were being slaughtered or something.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The book is terrible, but the movie is pretty fun and looks amazing in 4K DV: Ready Player One

Planet Earth II I'm told this is also amazing

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Predator
Die Hard
Logan Lucky
Pacific Rim
Alien
Superman the movie
Escape from New York
Labyrinth
Close encounters
Star trek beyond
The shallows
Blade Runner 2049

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I have a new LG OLED and a dumb question.

I have been watching UHD streaming content (4k Apple TV, etc). Is that not real 4K?

Do I need physical media for 4k and if so, is the PS4 ok as a player?

Super Craig

Oct 27, 2017

I have been watching UHD streaming content (4k Apple TV, etc). Is that not real 4K?

The PS4 can't play 4K discs. The compression on Netflix etc. is heavier than it would be on a disc, but that doesn't stop it from being 4K.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
OP, please make sure to check this list before buying anything. https://4kmedia.org/real-or-fake-4k/

A lot of 4k blurays are just upscaled 1080p prints and you can save money by buying regular Blu Ray

I would love a list of 1080p ones. I can't imagine there are many of those.

There is a ton of 2K stuff, but if you are avoiding them you are missing out on some of the best looking stuff. They look fucking great still, with many of them being repeated over and over in this thread. Multiple people in this thread are saying Aquaman is the best looking and it is 2K. Infinity War... 2K. Fury Road... 2K.

Avoiding 2K mastered movies is insane nonsense. They still look the best here.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Some of my faves are:

2001 A Space Odyssey: Honestly this is by far my fave 4K disc, it's insane what they accomplished.
Blade Runner/Blade Runner 2049: I know 2049 gets a lot of love, but the original is the real star. The HDR implementation makes it look like it was made modern day.
Transformers Dark of the Moon: Look I know, Bayformers, but it's an insane disc with a great audio track as well.
First Man: 2001 is my fave overall disc, but the quality of the moon landing sequence in 4k might be my fave 4K scene in media.
The Dark Knight/Dunkirk: Mainly for the IMAX scenes, which look fantastic.
The Matrix: Stellar audio aside, the dumb green filter is gone and the rest of the cleanup really shows, one of the best releases.
Pacific Rim: The Hong Kong fight sequence is my HDR/4K tech demo for people, it's that good.

I refuse to recommend any of the Disney MCU releases (or TLJ) as must haves due to their sub-par Atmos tracks.

scott97

Jan 22, 2019
A Few Good Men and Air Force One look incredible. Also, they're not on 4K disc yet, but the Bond movies available on Amazon Prime 4K streaming are really good as well.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately T2 has had a rough time with every new format. The early DVDs, Blu-rays and now 4K versions have all been crap. They usually get it right eventually but got to get those early adopter dollars I guess.

OP, please make sure to check this list before buying anything. https://4kmedia.org/real-or-fake-4k/

A lot of 4k blurays are just upscaled 1080p prints and you can save money by buying regular Blu Ray
They'll still look and sound better. HDR and Atmos, plus 2K is marginally higher than 1080p anyway.

I saw GOTG2 in 4K the other day, and despite being "fake" 4K it was miles better than Blu-ray.

It's real 4K, usually with HDR and everything. Just lower bit rate than you get on disc. Lossy audio too.

Apple TV 4K is the next best thing to disc but I'd still say go physical for the best and your favourite stuff.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Not nearly enough love for Into the Spiderverse in this thread. Movie looks incredible on my OLED on 4K Bluray.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Yep, it sucks too because a movie like T2 deserves to have a masterful 4k release, like say, Blade Runner.

You can read one review here that talks about it:
https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/49326/terminator2judgmentday4kultrahdbluray.html

"As mentioned in my review of the U.K. import, the DNR may not be Predator levels of atrocity, but it is nonetheless bad and disheartening for an action classic, and there are also several instances of aliasing and moiré effects along the sharpest edges and in light fixtures.

Despite these few positives sprinkled throughout, a majority of the 4K presentation lacks warmth and often feels flat. And this is related to the original color timing having been changed to a steelier blue and the ever-popular orange-teal ugliness. Cameron made a similar change to Aliens, but it doesn't feel nearly as dramatic and unattractive as seen here. All in all, I imagine purists and cinephiles will find this video presentation a travesty while the more forgiving fans will enjoy and possibly even applaud the results. "

Unfortunately T2 has had a rough time with every new format. The early DVDs, Blu-rays and now 4K versions have all been crap. They usually get it right eventually but got to get those early adopter dollars I guess.
Jeez Terminator 2 deserves so much better :/Hopefully we will get a new version in a timely manner

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I just recently got a 4k tv. The kind of middle of the road NU8000. I still don't have a player though:( I think my foray into 4k Bluray will start when they release an MCU box set will all the films in 4k.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA

I would love a list of 1080p ones. I can't imagine there are many of those.

There is a ton of 2K stuff, but if you are avoiding them you are missing out on some of the best looking stuff. They look fucking great still, with many of them being repeated over and over in this thread. Multiple people in this thread are saying Aquaman is the best looking and it is 2K. Infinity War... 2K. Fury Road... 2K.

Avoiding 2K mastered movies is insane nonsense. They still look the best here.
Yup. And the upscaled stuff will look better anyways due to better compression and less artifacting. It may not be this giant leap in resolution and detail over the 1080p blu, but 2K upscales still benefit from going to 4k.
And most of the time the HDR color grading offers the best improvement, but not consistently. Apparently the Bourne movies have shit HDR masters that result in the blu ray looking better.

And honestly, I bet 99% of the people on here wouldn't be able to tell if it was a 2K upscale or not unless they had a list telling them.

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Revenent still hasn't been topped imo. Watching on an oled looks like your looking right out a window. It's next level.