• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have an lg c8 oled with a samsung 4k player. So far black panther has really blown me away, along with gotg 2, and the earth series from bbc, blue planet 2 and planet earth 2. Power rangers is also an exceptional looking film in 4k. The 2 pacific rim films will put your tv's hdr capabilites through their paces as well

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
The Revenent still hasn't been topped imo. Watching on an oled looks like your looking right out a window. It's next level.
I scrolled thru this thread and hadn't seen anyone mention it but this is exactly what I was going to say! Even on my tcl p series it's a beautiful movie!

Also I really recommend LG 4k players and really don't recommend any Samsung players.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I scrolled thru this thread and hadn't seen anyone mention it but this is exactly what I was going to say! Even on my tcl p series it's a beautiful movie!

Also I really recommend LG 4k players and really don't recommend any Samsung players.
My LG UP 970 has treated me well. Also recommend Sony's new X800 coming out next month with Dolby Vision support.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
From ones I own:

The Lego Movie
Lego Batman
Into the Spider-Verse
Star Trek Beyond
Star Wars The Last Jedi
Black Panther
Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol
Mission Impossible Fallout
Avengers Infinity War
All Nolan movies
Pacific Rim
The Matrix

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
My LG UP 970 has treated me well. Also recommend Sony's new X-800 coming out next month with Dolby Vision support.
X800 has been out for a bit in the US at least. The major issue with its Dolby Vision support is it auto sends EVERYTHING as DV, even SDR content, if you have Dolby Vision turned on. I don't know if they fixed that via firmware, but it was an issue when I had the player for a short time.

Right now using an LG UBKC90, which is super quiet and auto detects SDR, HDR, and DV and switches as needed, which is super nice.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
X800 has been out for a bit in the US at least. The major issue with its Dolby Vision support is it auto sends EVERYTHING as DV, even SDR content, if you have Dolby Vision turned on. I don't know if they fixed that via firmware, but it was an issue when I had the player for a short time.

Right now using an LG UBKC90, which is super quiet and auto detects SDR, HDR, and DV and switches as needed, which is super nice.
Oh i know it was my player before the LG. Nearly perfect except it had no Dolby Vision. But from what i am reading they are re releasing the player in May with Dolby Vision? or did they add it in a firmware update? The X700 has Dolby Vision, but doesn't have the premium touch like the X800.

Last edited:

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
How close are we to 8k media though?
I think the leap to 8K will leave out a lot of movies; movies mastered in 2K (aka the majority of movies released in the last 20 years) look great upscaled to 4K, but I doubt they would look as good upscaled to 8K. Even native 4K upscaled to 8K may be pushing it.

As far as I know, the main reason movies (especially ones with a lot of CGI) are mastered in 2K is because of cost, so if mastering in 4K is too expensive for most movies, I imagine 8K will be on a whole other level of expensive.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Oh i know it was my player before the LG. Nearly perfect except it had no Dolby Vision. But from what i am reading they are re releasing the player in May with Dolby Vision? The X700 has Dolby Vision, but doesn't have the premium touch like the X800.
Oh, my bad. Think I was confusing the 700 and 800. But whatever Sony one it was, the having to manually turn DV on or off was really dumb and hopefully they fix it.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
I refuse to recommend any of the Disney MCU releases (or TLJ) as must haves due to their sub-par Atmos tracks.

Ragnarok and Black Panther were particularly bad on this front. But subsequent MCU releases seem to have gotten better. The UHD for Age of Ultron has much better audio dynamics than the original BD, and from what I hear, so are Winter Soldier and Civil War's.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
The new release of Alien is really good. Color grading is more natural and shadow detail is much improved over the Blu Ray. Highlights do great work in piercing the dark interiors of the Nostromo and you can make out the detail of the halogen bulbs in the space suit helmets instead of a mass of clipped white. It's an effective use of HDR across the whole range and the atmosphere of the film is enhanced by the UHD presentation I feel.

How close are we to 8k media though?
Already there. 2001:A Space Odyssey was scanned in 8k and not only is the UHD based on that, it has already been broadcast at 8k in Japan. The parts of Blade Runner that were shot on 70mm were scanned in 8k too. For mass adoption though I don't know but I wouldn't be surprised if that was a streaming option only. HDR and WCG make a far bigger difference than the resolution increases in UHD though IMO so it's not something I'm particularly concerned with personally.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
81aMklzFmFL._SX342_.jpg
Don't lie to this good man.

To answer the topic question Pacific Rim. It's got amazing HDR and the picture is easily the best out of my 4K titles.

Master Of Illusion

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
As for players, I was using an Xbox one X to playbacl discs on an LG B7 OLED but I wanted a standalone as well and got
a Sony UBP-X700 since it also had Dolby Vision support (Xbox only does Dolby Vision for streamed content apparently).
The Sony UBP-X700 is utter trash and garbage and I've had nothing but problems with movies occasionally locking up (then playing fine at other times), audio drop outs and pictures cutting out even on blurays. I just use the Xbox nowdays with a media remote and its fine. I'll eventually look at another standalone player but will likley go LG or Panasonic.

This fucking thing. I've never had the picture drop out or anything like that, but the machine has what looks like some kind of automatic motion smoothing and there's no way to switch it off. It's annoying enough for me to consider getting another player and just selling this one.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
This fucking thing. I've never had the picture drop out or anything like that, but the machine has what looks like some kind of automatic motion smoothing and there's no way to switch it off. It's annoying enough for me to consider getting another player and just selling this one.
The X800 is so much better. Pisses me off they didn't have DV support day one i wouldn't even have bought the LG UP970

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've seen it recommended yet, but Jurassic World in UHD looks incredible. Genuinely incredible. That and Fifth Element are what I use to sell people on my 930e.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for Blade Runner Final Cut, Blade Runner 2049, and Aquaman to arrive...I dont have an OLED, but still looking forward to the visuals after reading much praise...I do have an Atmos setup, so excited for that as well

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Is the Xbox One S/X still the best 4K Blu-ray player?
I'm not sure they ever were consider the best, One S was definitely one of the more affordable ones at one point, though.

On my One X I get some pretty bad skipping/freezing on some discs. Blade Runner 2049 was especially bad - I ended up giving up and just watching my 4K redeemed copy on my AppleTV.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Blade Runner 2049, Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse, John Wick: Chapter 2, Alien and Mary Queen of Scotts are my showcase titles. It helps that they're all incredible films too.
Isn't a PS4 pro a 4k blu-ray player?
Nope, the Pro doesn't have a 4K Blu-Ray player. It streams 4K content from streaming apps like Netflix and Amazon Prime but you can't use 4K Blu-Ray discs. The Xbox One S and Xbox One X have one, however.

May 18, 2018
London
MI: Fallout looks incredible, certainly the scenes that use the IMAX screen format. The jump into Paris and the helicopter chase are sensational.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP you need to buy Terminator 2. It's probably the finest example of just how great 4K can be.

/s for real, don't get it. It's straight up trash.

holtz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My favorites:
Avengers Infinity War
Spider-verse
Deadpool 2
Pacific Rim
Thor Ragnarok
Mad Max: Fury Road
Dredd
Predator - This is a huge upgrade from the vaseline Blu Ray.

Feb 10, 2018
Most 4k blu rays look good.
4k on Netflix looks good to.
But to be brutally honest I can barely tell the difference between 1080p and 4k video.

Chaeotic

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I'd shy away from anything shot/finished digitally and find the titles shot on film. So, everything prior to 2010, even earlier! I may generalising, but even a phenomenal looking title like Avengers: Infinity War pales next to those like 2001: A Space Odyssey, Christopher Nolan's entire catalogue, etc, Apocalypse Now later in the year.

Aiming for the older titles really lets you experience the benefits 4k and HDR bring, digitally shot movies simply "upscale" and call it a day, offering minimal advantages. Personally anyway, the 4k version of Avengers naturally still looks fantastic when compared to the full HD version!

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have a samsung 4K tv and still feel like it's got issues with moving in dark scenes (almost like a ghosting effect)

I thought I had turned off motion smoothing, what other things turned on or off affect this?

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Just got a UHD Blu-Ray player myself, so this thread is a great resource for me. I have The Matrix which looks incredible, and MI: Fallout which looks really damn good. Can't wait to flesh out my collection more.

Last edited:

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wish 4k blu-rays weren't so astronomically expensive as to be irrelevant in today's streaming environment.

I bought and Xbox One X on that sale for $230. Thought I was gonna keep it for the UHD Blu-ray. But just couldn't justify the disks