• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 7, 2017
So me and my wife are pretty much fed up with the US. Even in fucking San Francisco we aren't happy because
1. Rent is too damn high and we can't even think about buying a house here
2. California is probably as good as it gets in the US but it's still pretty conservative in a lot of things such as *ding* housing

We thought about moving to other states but I cannot see myself living in fucking Texas or North Carolina or any other shitty state

We recently have had the financial means to travel and we fell in love with Europe and their way of life

I was wondering how hard would it be to emigrate to Europe and start the process of being permanent residents. Me and my wife are both US citizens with at least a Bachelors degree in Nursing. I know it might be a little hard to get a nursing job in Europe that pays even half of what we get paid in California but if anything is it hard to transition into another profession?

Edit: typo in the thread title smh mods pls fix thx!!!!

Oct 27, 2017
Can't speak for other countries but here in Germany we also have problems with rising rental prices, at least in the cities. Also we have somewhat of a shortage in nursing stuff so you shouldn't have problems finding a job. It will probably be underpaid though, which is one of the reasons there's a shortage in the first place.

Benjamin1981

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Your education is fine and highly sought after. At least in Germany. Nursing jobs even got a pay raise by law not too long ago. Housing is a problem here too. Not on the level of San Fransisco of course.

OP
OP
CherryWoodFuton
Nov 7, 2017
Can't speak for other countries but here in Germany we also have problems with rising rental prices, at least in the cities. Also we have somewhat of a shortage in nursing stuff so you shouldn't have problems finding a job. It will probably be underpaid though, which is one of the reasons there's a shortage in the first place.
Yea we've did some research and nobody pays as much as SF. It fucking sucks because we get paid really well yet we can't even afford to put a down payment on a house....that's how totally fucked housing is in California

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I haven't lived there since I was a teen, so can't really help you with the details, but do you already have a specific country in mind? While living in one country will enable you to travel anywhere in Europe, if I'm not mistaken the immigration procedures will be country-dependent. In addition, do you speak any other European language? I would think (could be wrong though) nursing is one of those jobs where you need to speak the local language, which would reduce your choices quite a bit.

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017
As a nurse it's very important to speak the local language. The UK is leaving the EU so unless you speak other languages your only option would be...Ireland?

Oct 27, 2017
London
Germany is passing a new migration law making it easier for non EU skilled workers to live there, but it hasn't passed yet. Consider Germany, they lack workers right now. The medical profession is rather difficult to transfer to other countries however, you may need new certifications because European countries may not recognize US ones. Plus people want their medical professionals to speak the local language even if most people can speak English.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Nursing jobs are in demand in lots of EU countries due to the aging population. I'm not sure about how easy it is to immegrate. It might be a good idea to choose a country and contact the embasy. Be sure to be prepared to learn the language though, it is expected in most, if not all EU countries.

Edit: as your wife is Brazilian, Portugal would be a great option. It is also one of the cheapest countries to live in if you stay away from Lisbon. Though this also means it has low wages.

It's my favourite country in Europe though. (I am Belgian myself)

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
There's a shortage of nurses pretty much everywhere; finding a job shouldn't be a problem. As a nurse though, I assume you need to be able to speak the local language, and since the UK is fucked beyond belief, Ireland is the only remaining place where you can get by with just English. Also, keep in mind that while wages may be lower than where you are now, the cost of living is also lower in most European countries.

Europe and their way of life

Also btw don't say this out loud, people may shoot daggers at you. Europe isn't a country, we're not one people with one "way of life", we are many, many, many countries and cultures, and the cultures can vary significantly, even among neighboring countries.

OP
OP
CherryWoodFuton
Nov 7, 2017
There's a shortage of nurses pretty much everywhere; finding a job shouldn't be a problem. As a nurse though, I assume you need to be able to speak the local language, and since the UK is fucked beyond belief, Ireland is the only remaining place where you can get by with just English. Also, keep in mind that while wages may be lower than where you are now, the cost of living is also lower in most European countries.

Also btw don't say this out loud, people may shoot daggers at you. Europe isn't a country, we're not one people with one "way of life", we are many, many, many countries and cultures, and the cultures can vary significantly, even among neighboring countries.
Sorry to generalize but I meant to say the EU government

Definitely way better than the US one

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017
I can speak some Spanish and Portuguese...maybe Spain or Portugal could be good for us? My wife is Brazilian btw

That might be an option worth exploring but I'm from the Netherlands so I can't really help you. Portugal is a really beautiful country but be warned, wages are low by European standards, which are already low by SF standards. But at least you should be able to a afford a proper house there.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
That might be an option worth exploring but I'm from the Netherlands so I can't really help you. Portugal is a really beautiful country but be warned, wages are low by European standards, which are already low by SF standards. But at least you should be able to a afford a proper house there.

Outside of the big cities and the Algarve you can probably get a Portuguese house for the price of a downpayment in San Fransisco.

There are many European governments, and some are shit too (Orban is the Hungarian Trump, but I actually suspect Orban to have a brain). The European Union has a commitie, but isn't really a government and can be quite bureaucratic.

But European politics in general is more leftwing. The democratic party/Obama would be considered pretty rightwing in most European countries, lol.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Spain and Portugal are great.. if you are in a well paying job. Wouldn't want to be a nurse there. There's a huge lack of nurses in northern Europe, so I'd recommend working/living there and vacationing to Spain and Portugal often.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017

Ohhh I disagree. I don't know crap about US politics, but the EU government is extremely incompetent, from my point of view.

On topic, have you thought about other territories, like Canada or Australia? If you're okay with 6 feet tall spiders and kangaroos, that could solve your problem.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know it might be a little hard to get a nursing job in Europe that pays even half of what we get paid in California but if anything is it hard to transition into another profession?

Real talk tho look into how the cost of living may compare even if your salary is potentially lower. Factor in the cost of healthcare, whether you'll need a car or not (perhaps not, in that case, don't pay for that). See how it might balance out in the end.

Even with a lower pay (at first) your quality of life might be better.

The good news is that nurses are in demand in every aging industrialized society.

Oh shit you and your wife can speak a combination of Spanish & Portuguese? That's huge. Language barrier is traditionally a big hurdle to overcome. But that could smooth the transition over quite well...

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Real talk tho look into how the cost of living may compare even if your salary is potentially lower. Factor in the cost of healthcare, whether you'll need a car or not (perhaps not, in that case, don't pay for that). See how it might balance out in the end.

The good news is that nurses are in demand in every aging industrialized society.

Health care is of course something you have everywhere in Europe, though of course you'll pay taxes for it too (and sometimes you'll have to get extra insurance to cover some possible costs. In Belgium you often get that extra health insurance trough your employer).

Unless you live in a big city, a car will probably be necessary. And big cities have higher costs of living. Though most countries do have great public transportation, when you work unregular hours like nursing jobs often have it's not always the best option. (Again, unless you live in a city). It also really depends on the country and how densely populated it is.

You do see more and more car sharing companies pop up though. You pay a certain amount per month (it's not to high) and when you need a car you book one and pick it up from the choosen station. You pay per hour you 'rent' the car. It's a great solution when you can commute by public transport, but sometimes need a car to do groceries and stuff.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Health care is of course something you have everywhere in Europe, though of course you'll pay taxes for it too (and sometimes you'll have to get extra insurance to cover some possible costs. In Belgium you often get that extra health insurance trough your employer).

Unless you live in a big city, a car will probably be necessary. And big cities have higher costs of living. Though most countries do have great public transportation, when you work unregular hours like nursing jobs often have it's not always the best option. (Again, unless you live in a city). It also really depends on the country and how densely populated it is.

You do see more and more car sharing companies pop up though. You pay a certain amount per month (it's not to high) and when you need a car you book one and pick it up from the choosen station. You pay per hour you 'rent' the car. It's a great solution when you can commute by public transport, but sometimes need a car to do groceries and stuff.

Right, I meant that they might end up saving on the upfront healthcare costs since it's via taxes.

Car sharing is a brilliant idea and I didn't know some places were testing it out already. It's probably Uber's endgame.

I think the main factor here for OP to overcome is to give an employer a good reason why they should go to the trouble of applying for a worker visa on behalf of a foreign employee, versus just hiring an EU resident.

There undoubtedly are countries in need of more nurses, but why would they go to more trouble to seek out a foreigner when they could just hire within the EU?

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
OP, Europe has a lot of shit like America that you'll probably be equally upset with.

Just be smart with what country, a lot are better than others (avoid the UK so you don't suffer with us) Good luck :D

Also Canada might be a good inbetween

Dec 2, 2017
I would not recommend Germany for nurses. I went to med school in Germany and completed my residency and fellowship there. Nursing is different from what it is in the US, you are much closer to a nurse assistant than a Registered Nurse. Many things you do on a regular basis in the US are done by physicians alone since nurses are not allowed to do them. The salary is also a lot less than in the United States. Another thing is that you won't get hired unless you speak German. I think C1 level is required.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Come to Ireland, English speaking country and a well paid workforce. Also stupidly expensive, yay!

Dec 31, 2017
I think first you need to narrow down a list of EU countries, and then look for jobs there. In medicine I know you'll need certification of the local country, and language skills.

It's not an easy move to uproot yourself and way of life (and salary) and shift continents. You'll have to do lots of research but it really begins by making a shortlist.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I can speak some Spanish and Portuguese...maybe Spain or Portugal could be good for us? My wife is Brazilian btw
Portugal seems a lot easier then, but it is the place with the lowest salary (from Western Europe). It is a lovely country though, great food, great wine, Porto and Lisbon are nice cities (great hubs to travel abroad as well). I lived in Porto for 6 months and love it.

Nordic, Netherlands, are some places that most people speak English and it should be easier to get a job and to live... and obviously Ireland.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
nursing jobs are not nearly as well paid here in europe as in the us

but cost of living will be much lower than in california so you should still do ok. there is a shortage for nurses pretty much everywhere

first find a position and then get help from your future employer to get a work visa

life in (most parts of) europe is so much better than life in the us so you'll probably be happy with the change

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
There are many things to keep in mind like the salary you will earn in a similar job to your current one. Nursing isn't paid that well and even within the EU in border areas, people tend to work in one country and live in the other due to a difference in wages. It's a matter of where you want to live (near big cities or in a rural area). Many factors like that greatly affect your quality of life.

Language is also immensely important, like you absolutely need to be fluent in whatever language and country you choose.

Then also many Europeans fall in love with countries they visit as tourists and decide to move, because they felt the mentality in South American or South European countries is better. Most of them quickly realise once you start living there, pay rent, have the same stressful responsibilities as they had back home, suddenly the same old shit starts to annoy them which made them move in the first place.
Of course it's not always the case but you have to make an immensely thoughtful decision.

Now the obvious positive perks are for instance generally good standards of living, lower crime, many social securities, great healthcare and education, maybe quite liberal governments - though all this will vary greatly depending on where you want to live. I'm just talking about the rough "average EU country".

OP
OP
CherryWoodFuton
Nov 7, 2017
How are Texas and North Carolina shitty states?
Nursing there sucks... for example California has a nurse to patient ratio law where we can only care for a maximum of 5 patients a shift

Other states including Texas and North Carolina don't have those laws and I have nursing friends from both states that tell me they take care of 7-8 patients a shift so fuck that

NickHyde

Oct 26, 2017
it also depends on what language you speak. If you only speak english it's gonna be hard to find a job outside the UK

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
First things first, take a long holiday around Europe and decide where you want to live.

Then take another long holiday around the place you want to live to see if you would REALLY like to live there without all the holiday stuff being done.

Then research, research, research into the usual (jobs, houses, blah blah blah). Then get back to us :p

Mr. Parrot

Apr 16, 2018
I wouldn't worry about the drop in paycheck too much since often times your cost of living will be higher with the reduced check than if you remained in the US. However, you should definitely check before moving how much it will cost to live on your paycheck. If you were thinking about Portugal or Spain I know Portugal has relatively law immigration laws but I don't know how it applies to your situation.

Oct 27, 2017
As a nurse it's very important to speak the local language. The UK is leaving the EU so unless you speak other languages your only option would be...Ireland?
Considering our nurses are striking due to shitty wages, I don't recommend Ireland for unless you're also interested in a career change. The government here has been fucking up our healthcare for yonks, and couldn't give a shit about public opinion on the matter.

Career prospects aside, it's also quite an expensive place to live, with Dublin being the only real viable place to settle down since here's where all the jobs are. If you can afford a few hundred thousand Euro to buy a house outright, it may be easier.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Wages in the healthcare system aren't really great for the pressure you have to take in. Pretty much all governments cut the workforce too much in the last two decades. I think Austria and Switzerland are pretty great for nurses in general or you have to be placed somewhere special like for children transgender institutes where the patientnumbers are not high.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Related maybe

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I know quite a couple Americans from various professions that moved the Germany, seemed pretty straight forward.
Nursing pay will obviously be lower but cost of living is significantly lower than in the states.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Your education is fine and highly sought after. At least in Germany. Nursing jobs even got a pay raise by law not too long ago. Housing is a problem here too. Not on the level of San Fransisco of course.
The main problem will be whether their degree will be accepted in Germany.

Even if nursing wont work out, you could always try to get work as native speaking nursery/kindergarten teacher. Ofc you wouldnt be hired as professional, but for your english skills to teach the children. Many international schools but also kindergarten are looking for native speaking staff.

Pay isnt that enourmous, but also not too bad.

If you go this route you dont even needtoknow much German.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
US really isn't so bad. Chicago is good if you're looking for a bit cheaper in an amazing city in NA. Bay area though beautiful and in California is kind of a unique nightmare

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Wages are lower in Europe than North America.
Taxes are higher.

Quality of life, culture, food, are better in Europe but your wage will be lower