• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

"Your attendance is not mandatory," read the rules that Shell sent to union leaders a day ahead of the visit to the $6 billion construction site. But only those that showed up at 7 a.m., scanned their cards, and prepared to stand for hours — through lunch but without lunch — would be paid. "NO SCAN, NO PAY," the rules said.
"No yelling, shouting, protesting or anything viewed as resistance will be tolerated at the event," the paper read.

Dictatorship in action

Santerestil

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

tooyPER.jpg

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I think this was discussed already but I really wish msnbc and CNN would cover this non stop. They have to use any shit on trump and plaster it to remind everyone how much of scum bags his admin and himself are. They need to pay off people via and cl and threaten to reduce pay if they dont attend. Who the fuck does that?

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
While this is all fucked up in many many ways, they won't get overtime payment, which I assume is correct since they just go home? Or am I missing some crucial detail here?

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While this is all fucked up in many many ways, they won't get overtime payment, which I assume is correct since they just go home? Or am I missing some crucial detail here?
Sounds like it. If workers are coming to a work place event, they SHOULD be getting paid. If you don't show up for work, you don't get paid. That said, considering the political nature of the event, they should just pay those who choose not to attend as well.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As stupid as this is, it seems to be for overtime, not normal wage.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I would do it but I would be maliciously compliant about it.

No backpacks or lunchboxes. Bring one of those cloth bags with a drawstring.

Breakfast provided, lunch not provided- fill bag with food to have while you are standing. Doesn't state you can't.

Allowed to have your phone--fill it with music and listen for the afternoon. Doesn't say you had to listen to what he says to say.

Have a I don't want to be here expression in case there is a camera panning.

Nov 1, 2017
Their work shift for the day was to support the rapist basically. So if you didnt want to you could use an absence, of course then those hours don't count towards weekly hours so you'd be ineligible for overtime for not attending. It's not in their job description to support him and they are being forced not to perform the actual function of their jobs to attend a political event that they are not allowed to voice anything except agreement.

Think of it this way, say you've had a couple of long days this week and are already at 32 hours. You decide you don't want to support a fascist and are told you can either go or take the day off because it's not mandatory. You work your normal shift Friday for 40 hours plus the 8 hours for the missed day at your normal rate. The only reason you missed out on overtime though is because they didn't give you the option of just working your job instead of going to listen to the ramblings of an imbecile. So for a pretty stupid reason that's no fault of your own you lost out on pay. That shouldn't be considered appropriate whether their leaders and stewards agreed to it or not.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

No you missed nothing. Youre just fine with it. No worries. Its 100% fucked up. In all ways. At least to me.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As stupid as this is, it seems to be for overtime, not normal wage.
It says they wont be paid overtime Friday. So the way Im reading it is they're working straight time for the Trump thing, and if they do both they will get paid overtime for Friday. If they dont go thats ok but then they'd work for straight time on Friday.

Regardless its fucking gross.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
This can be the problem with unions. In the interest of short-term economic gain (e.g. having a petrochemical plant and the jobs that come with it), they sell out the rest of us, both politically and environmentally.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
They should all go and protest as soon as it starts. What are they gonna do? Kick everyone out at once?

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
This is simply their assignment for the day. This happens at every workplace any president visits because the company doesn't want to cause any waves. The biggest issue is working through lunch without one. They should be provided lunch at least.

They have the option of not going, which is an excused absence. It just doesn't count towards their overtime if the chose not to go which is pretty standard.

Sensationalist title aside, the real crime is no lunch.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
It's very telling when Trump has to force people to attend his rallies & to pay people off for attending them in order to make them look like he's very popular.

Obama never had to do any of that. Plus if I were one of those workers at that plant, I'd quit.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
It's very telling when Trump has to force people to attend his rallies & to pay people off for attending them in order to make them look like he's very popular.

Obama never had to do any of that. Plus if I were one of those workers at that plant, I'd quit.
Obama would have been assassinated if he did 1/10000000000th of what Trump is doing.

Trump is a wannabe dictator. It's why he has a hard on for Putin and Kim. He wants to rule, not serve.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
No you missed nothing. Youre just fine with it. No worries. Its 100% fucked up. In all ways. At least to me.

I am fine with that sure. Why should they get paid if they don't work overtime?

Please note, we are only discussing the point that a employee don't get paid when not working overtime, nothing else.

Or do you assume that I think this, overall, is OK?

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Wait... why do you guys think Trump is making the workers do this? This seems more likely that the CEOs are making sure their workplace puts on a good dog and pony show for the cameras. The shoes and the belt buckles bit is probably to speed up the line. All presidential stuff have security checkpoints.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I am fine with that sure. Why should they get paid if they don't work overtime?

Please note, we are only discussing the point that a employee don't get paid when not working overtime, nothing else.

Or do you assume that I think this, overall, is OK?

The issues arent separate. So yeah. The reasons behind it are just as important as the technicalities. No need to pretend any bit is ok in isolation. In a terchhhnnnicalllyyy manor.

Thats me tho.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
I updated the thread title to be a bit more accurate.

Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
I updated the thread title to be a bit more accurate.

Yes, but the rally was Tuesday during the entire day. The workers either could stay home and not get paid during a normal work week, or they go to the rally and get paid as overtime since it's not regular work they are getting paid for. It sounds like they couldn't just go to work to get paid. So they got paid overtime pay for the rally versus no pay at all for the day. It also sounds like they didn't get a lunch break since it wasn't considered normal work hours.

Title/OP is really misleading.

Not really when you understand what is actually going on. If they didn't go to the rally they lose a days work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Puroresu_kid

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not overtime pay they was missing. There was no choice to work a regular day for regular days wages. Not forgetting if one did attend they could voice any disapproval to the grand leader.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It's not overtime pay they was missing. There was no choice to work a regular day for regular days wages. Not forgetting if one did attend they could voice any disapproval to the grand leader.

If you'd like me to change the title again PM me a suggestion and I'll take care of it, but for everyone else please let's keep on topic.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
This doesn't seem like a problem to me? Higher up want to show a sign of their support, they're entitled to that. The show of support means regular work is postponed for that day, so if you don't wish to partake it's a compulsory day off. If you go, since it is a work function, you will be paid for it.