• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys have any recommendations for an MG kit that's on the easier side? I've done a couple of HGs and I want to kinda ease myself into the more complex stuff.

I'm currently building the Aile Strike Gundam Version RM as my first MG and it's been super straight forward. The build really isn't any harder, there's just more to it. The only part that's tricky is placing the crazy amount of decals the kit comes with. I think as long as you don't start with a kit that's notoriously complicated like the Sazabi Ver. Ka, you'll be fine.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Do you guys have any recommendations for an MG kit that's on the easier side? I've done a couple of HGs and I want to kinda ease myself into the more complex stuff.

I've done the Gundam Barbatos, Half Cannon Zaku, and another Gundam that I forgot the name of, and also Kotobukiya's Imperial Girl, which I guess would be HG-equivalentish.

I'm currently eyeing the MG Buster Gundam.
My advice for a first MG would be to choose one that fulfills the following requirements:
  • Find a Mobile Suit that you like. There's no point in building something that others recommend unless you are going to like the end result.
  • Find a recently released MG. Older kits may have some questionable characteristics. Newer kits tend to be more straightforward.
  • Find a relatively cheap MG. Some MG can be overly complex for a first build like a Sazabi. Price is usually an indicator of both size and complexity so a slightly cheaper kit is likely less complex.
Since you suggested it, I would say that Buster Gundam is a good choice for a first MG as it covers the previous criteria.

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't seem to be a difficult kit to work with and poeple seem to like it well enough so go for it.
Turn A Gundam was my first MG and it's quite good. Only if you enjoy the design, of course.
I'm currently building the Aile Strike Gundam Version RM as my first MG and it's been super straight forward. The build really isn't any harder, there's just more to it. The only part that's tricky is placing the crazy amount of decals the kit comes with. I think as long as you don't start with a kit that's notoriously complicated like the Sazabi Ver. Ka, you'll be fine.

Thanks, guys. I'll check them out, too.

My advice for a first MG would be to choose one that fulfills the following requirements:
  • Find a Mobile Suit that you like. There's no point in building something that others recommend unless you are going to like the end result.
  • Find a recently released MG. Older kits may have some questionable characteristics. Newer kits tend to be more straightforward.
  • Find a relatively cheap MG. Some MG can be overly complex for a first build like a Sazabi. Price is usually an indicator of both size and complexity so a slightly cheaper kit is likely less complex.
Since you suggested it, I would say that Buster Gundam is a good choice for a first MG as it covers the previous criteria.

I'll definitely keep these in mind.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Bremsstrahlung im planning to do the Gundam RB-79 Ball Ver Ka mg in a month or so myself, pretty simple design, and not the most glorious 'suit' in the series, but the low price point and loads of details make it perfect for me(I've asked my sister for the G-Fighter and RX-78-2 KA ver. 2 for Christmas and have my fingers crossed), although I'm pretty happy with high grade

Nov 3, 2017
Anyone have any experience using this brand of sealer?

The local art store is selling them for $3 which is significantly cheaper than what I pay for Mr Top Coat

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Well an unexpected arrival has now changed my plans, and now I have a healthy backlog to keep me busy up to my move! My HGUC Guntank and 6-inch Going Merry just arrived! Along with the HGUC Gundam Mk 2(revive/titans), Rick Dias, and the replacement Zeong that's still in the mail I have fun builds ahead of me.
As a result, I am now building the oldest kit I've gotten tomorrow, the Guntank(#007 of the hguc series), I was pretty surprised by how small the box is, but then I realized the lack of legs means less parts. Look forward to trying to make a cool pic with the classic trio, and glad I have it to try befor the Zeong/Rick Dias since so far all my Gundam kits have been revive or newer

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
If you exclude the tread and it's wheels the lower part of HGUC Guntanks body isn't much more than two big pieces. Even the treads aren't that complex and the build spends more time on the wheels than the tracks that are a single piece.
Hehe, I knew it wouldn't be too complex in hg, but I paid 10 bucks, and wanted to finish off the classic trio and it gives me a quick build this weekend so I'm not complaining.

Only thing that's bumming me out is I have to wait a month to put in my next order, but if I somehow manage to get through my backlog at least I'll be close to a Barnes and nobles and I can either finally give into the figurerise Piccolo or just see if any of the newer kits like build divers line apppeal(I have a weekend in two weeks where I won't be getting any building done due to guests and my little sister's wedding)

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Barnes and Noble are now carrying Mr. Hobby stuff. So far its just a tool kit, but perhaps we'll get more stuff eventually.

DSC_0203.jpg

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys have any recommendations on YouTube channels or websites?

I'm on mobile so it's hard to provide links, but here are the folks I watch on Youtube:

Paint on Plastic by Lincoln Wright (my personal favorite, his tutorials are great and he's really charming and funny)
ZakuAurelius
vegeta8259
Mecha Gaikotsu
jabman025
Gunpla Lab (They're Korean but have some subbed videos that are great)

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
EnronERA saw those a few months ago at B&N Roseville when I was passing through, didn't know it was news.

The classic trio is complete... boy this guy was just a rough build, the gates were a pain, I can see why the revive series is recommended I can imagine how rough some of the really complex early HGUC are, but only took me two hours. Enjoy the classic Gundam trio in a conga line! (Also sorry for the picture quality, I kinda suck at pics, I really need to talk my sis into taking some high quality ones when she visits)
gRSCiZr.jpg

35UOdfc.jpg

rgNVXwF.jpg

IzjfZj3.jpg

Next weekend I'm building the going merry which will take a lot of patience since half the build time is applying crucial stickers! It'll be fun when I have enough of this series to recreate a mini version of he one piece Pirate Fleet opening!

Also, the Zeta Gundam watch through continues! Asshimar really needs a revival kit, it's a cool design. Gaplant is cool too, but I do think I'll get the Messala and Shiki first when the time comes.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
FIrst time i've seen them in a B & N and i hit my closest one every 2 or 3 weeks. Maybe this means bluefin will start getting the paints in stores as well (not in B and N, obviously, but hobby shops)

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I'm on mobile so it's hard to provide links, but here are the folks I watch on Youtube:

Paint on Plastic by Lincoln Wright (my personal favorite, his tutorials are great and he's really charming and funny)
ZakuAurelius
vegeta8259
Mecha Gaikotsu
jabman025
Gunpla Lab (They're Korean but have some subbed videos that are great)
Thanks for the great suggestions! That first one seems pretty good, I'll definitely have a good look at his videos once I decide to try painting/weathering.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Also, the Zeta Gundam watch through continues! Asshimar really needs a revival kit, it's a cool design. Gaplant is cool too, but I do think I'll get the Messala and Shiki first when the time comes.
The Asshimar kit is fine, it's not as old-school as kits like the HG Guntank. Additionally, the probability of an MS with a secondary role receiving a revive kit is practically zero. Those are limited to extremely popular MS which usually means the ones piloted by protagonists of the most popular series even if there are exceptions like the Gouf or the Gyan. But the Gouf is already very popular by itself: see all the variants it has both in HG and MG.
The only way we are getting a new Asshimar any time soon is if Bandai decided to release an MG kit for it.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
The Asshimar kit is fine, it's not as old-school as kits like the HG Guntank. Additionally, the probability of an MS with a secondary role receiving a revive kit is practically zero. Those are limited to extremely popular MS which usually means the ones piloted by protagonists of the most popular series even if there are exceptions like the Gouf or the Gyan. But the Gouf is already very popular by itself: see all the variants it has both in HG and MG.
The only way we are getting a new Asshimar any time soon is if Bandai decided to release an MG kit for it.
Ah whoops only saw a overpriced reseller and thought it was out of print, double checked and found it in the proper price range. Does look pretty fun, but I'm already set on my next pair, maybe the pair after that

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
It's just that you should not expect every MS to get a revive kit, specially those that are historically less relevant.
People were even thinking that the two GP01 Real Grades might mean GP02 or GP03 RG in the future but, so far, this hasn't materialized at all even though both the MG and HG are quite old.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Revive should be thought of as "popular mobile suits that haven't had a HGUC in many years". Like the HGUC 2.0s of kits.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Yeah should explain, thought the hguc Asshimar was oop/retired due to the actual listing not popping up on amazon, just an overpriced seller. Thus why I said that. Good to hear it's a good kit, problem is now I want the Shiki, Messala, Gaplant, And Asshimar(not to mention moving forward on the one piece grand ship line) so trick is figuring out what to order first... and it'll be a month till I can order anything due to my move

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
I know the Messala is currently in print, because my local hobbytown has had like 4 of them clogging up the shelf for months now

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Normal gunpla kits very rarely go out of print and sooner or later they seem to be reissued.
Even though I have to wonder why Sergei Smirnov's Tieren Taozi seems to have been out of stock since forever while the Soma Peries one is usually available.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Reporting in...*checks watch* exactly a month after my last build post with gunpla number 2!

I stopped in at a Barnes & Noble during a trip and grabbed the most interesting-looking HG they had, which happened to be this Cherudim Gundam SAGA from Gundam Build Fighters. It might be a while before I get a day dry enough to apply topcoat.

FPxlwIn.jpg

More here

Last edited:

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, they definitely learned from the RG Sinanju. The RG Sazabi looks to have a brand new inner frame. Honestly it looks like an MG frame.

o_1ck79cq2c1ov616il1b7b3hh1ab67.jpg

Last edited:

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Reporting in...*checks watch* exactly a month after my last build post with gunpla number 2!

I stopped in at a Barnes & Noble during a trip and grabbed the most interesting-looking HG they had, which happened to be this Cherudim Gundam SAGA from Gundam Build Fighters. It might be a while before I get a day dry enough to apply topcoat. I'll put shots after the first behind spoilers so as to not spam the thread.

KjCkfKRYn-3VrpEQ0b4jJsA8QEZguGXSYp3Xs2eEZnU7zfBpqxN-gST-XVas0ll60dVO9TttVEKER8HLyVSAl6RwMxutIwfx3xnonRsrfi81wZkTmjXHImetBSsiyDrmBiUdslRbf7EvbwNVTF0GffeIOl1BPiMlNu4AaqROm6ggx5dUpSH7Ax5oLMZsANOazsvDkk5gUEYlnrMbGTfkQ3SphbOH6c2C5NVMRdnkpUCsTv1RSfbgfHwIHwCxrD5S1ivAAb6mEsUR5Klz9Mo_vSHwKW7VptV_VR8uhCqC6UqRewspWvYXJkXwcVjlAEQA-LpBbuiCq0n5fMFnzSv2sb_zohmJ88pmEy5mbr4YDiNXyxtoMZrZUgJELV-V8w55FJ4IQAOT4Nk43v1y8RN4bPp4UaGQ6QIShIMxbwH3tYhnf56HjL5KWjo9-AjsfWT60pm_RzEzxKiEBnoVjbMUzuQSXzBC7ZI5JGm879lHVHptzvIAo8N-jdMnWSniiGMsMLHs1NWIHp2JYpQfGKYhtOWlaoEFpk_c92XXMBMD2ACcFoBmpIRlI0szG8_gR5en7b9_2uHR0C9GPYJrsyeZv7jXuNioxrswFR6RqL8=w576-h767-no

KfTOL317Pp1vai-KpJcxr4k-HYk_vG68h7K0XZdPDih9MCP9zbMQY5NZlL973wAkJRfyMkBfrEePo7Yw48_Q2r51YejfIiI8IySmbno6gRDiPiHGV5yNoJbSun_zXt7w1NGymBe_nRu3ByLUtAdUi66uHf5jxaUiYuqlnhPt84tPEs1jeu2S9nPDSou8p13s760cIYm-Wm7W5Qtpc6cXErp38ZAz2figbCa6S5xkVkkUuuVyBGumnsmrSra11SThwNzD0ci_MA8Y0sEz7KdYcUrclrsVP4EDYZieyvyQA6Z9hpLc2z9pIg6iy0NUZsSL2Ln-x2n_GhtOjgA_hJEiQWawDplWtuSfT2d8jck23S2poK0PRWWfNLQlv0ohiSDgVlmqQ6BNxkFSbPU79J3La16Vtb2oOc8yalLGBSSrFyrs1EElaXssWdDtiTisS66SgeRuTCBG7gLqQzGAaTGzXSWDQPn1DOFizikiRSVYfukjRODJvYmaxhn8_fgB3AUByF0toig_TKyVnuSfE1OuI2rOpt_NDVk41IZMBULjVP9HaSHHUGvzSCfjVYWtoqefe8BEB1IjGVo-xWFSbEc_rGHVxlEXuLvFVYQ_v7w=w576-h767-no

7lxCpDKVJTAPhgutU0D0owUR3sSGvZKcRlCn6iSccaiHoddzuBpvBaGLAmq1XGqaBgSIKbfRoodS-vc_-XUOqBohnzsDDR7B0ePImejillKSExQyZpYB68oAbQzg3LcskhGffdHAZ3PeKJ0eXMqVHtBWjJkP5zRAYX_OnCgJERko-9oPHuVu-9XP6RFAAJZihHRLhfefJVad7CedO6EEs75eaMkFNLqAknAxQEBX4hC33_Nx1-ZihtBi1-pIXhbDDa2X7zTaxEhUQ-yEql7NtL1fPAXMjwx08biaA07pGXnfyUkVhvLX87FTddJL4KOYq2NM1sF9A2MvwuK8G59arBuB2vv43oRw8YlOSysNB0pLmp0c_MsfHOx06DVUAWi55opnbtfAV2fpke2RhRYTCpdsKqmQv2LAhDXoK2Pt7v8SN033lPRQWiE42vATS32w-voK5wxHyNDCZhueV4YnLc0OC1IsYyXLH8RB-YpdNbyZWNOlNPc-srlH10ys9w5Z6ME_qewg428dVWzreIld9fMbhIEWYTKbCAXN4epZYQSQE5si_muvh4rhjflFnE2gNCj3GWFnU6MEo1FMup-8Izpd-kMfl-6c8EAwVeY=w576-h767-no

gM2sqkj3zYEsy8vuBjrJhTshO8m23j-qoZtLj64y_wFqOoaKCwfRtqb9IlPpGwfUfmFB-suay3RMSzhx0yr8p5NvADKP_z4q1S0ow8kQcGQha8WhTk7PnEsOQ3S3zlqsmDOqDL0K7m56PZXAs9SISs_kliGXkTC6xDBFExMZ5b82FAMYX5xXkvKjPos1WfC-MH8qGWaBQIroEDDSS8sop4xd4wShTWdZr7WJuwR6gdjk-1KPtGkEaszgRQbvTHUPRuuVf18Md87SbZHuZLegP3BggURcldQz6kDZYjmu0b6Ywc8a69NNw60DuynMJjup6qo0H_sgtmH8QH1l5AwP82kdE0FPVyXCG-7tHcvsrrnfGJPx8gRAUtyWKKg9oM7VBOv6Hs7WWTNfy0ijvlYLTnt0_1osg_1cubmqItoKSBEv0fujk2l_5-5jXqOH95FHBgb7p-QST4n17ulXMF2Sz4EDIs9bfD11IXJ54FBrcVabjNtzLY8nKikLImB3X0VwDMfBGTWsXySsU_Elki-aXBR7GAqqf-tYLEXjYC_Jdux7Xk_rWSvyEkI1EhhbJGH830rzaOIuscP_QZZw27BrgFnuc8u_v-rniak6b4w=w576-h767-no

II371Y4gsokFciEBxU1UMjAtueLbkY8pXSvgVTS6VURtuMgZlc_IDJ2bC8wGhMMgsb1PGZkkJVGF3NHujYrATP6lgrQ_-x0m8MIUX25vEkb7iu4U0P5PFaRqugrp34iVI2iGHNs6W_Qn56jXD13Avo8y4Mt8i7hE13cawis7-b_0NPf8sgj3IFfhM6nP96icZsra_5H7mig59C2p5usjGZBNLH8fmzHEIh4NfplTXIE4d0pi9tdoUdPKQ8WBhI6WsSpgio87VC78_qABdNIcpOE6CQKINI8FO7_Xf-6EaCHsarKAb6Nj39T2qROXN92L13uRJEJtwSN1eHnE5ZcbErLEcQHT4uUdQuR3dMH50eUkAnhdXacYiT5I3eFvwPcRBSZDsCbqE7MIIlDRoelJmAqSF81IjbgYL-DlQ8HP-JoRUun8vuWmccUYGrf7aIf-vlgJv1hgZAzRfLT5CYE12vqNpi4tDlyXsIMEtWsWCKnoH3r_4CNUe1hbyyH8mKBuEZduz5JyYoMc9YP1M1oSw9Fn-XL8rORb_3J_8F_jq3Cyuq-ibSb9ZyH9M2dEqEZP2RRPutSHbQ61FRV2j51A2bEEKAddOw-g0mqSWHo=w576-h767-no

o5dXjTLAz75my-zzwGUbcFhL9FrTgNEygu86QRkktp48gzohZDNJ9M_V1yJjf2XD1b1KQxl9YgIcfq3P6m2CkC633ctoO0k6MG1LFlBUERdE9xCb90o8CIVgyyu4HGtaCZNeyoWQcvru_DCCX6XPJ7ExgBCYpVOx6TUViwv5EpXHvyGgG3vm62kegdr5smD6AfdcWLrI6fe5Z5Lk56XKaFBYHKEwiRv5VCclKOvxCyA2ZXkJTMiQ23F7dsO87lKyC9lMMvLN4tCF85KQKn5XQSMUH_huBb3iu53IkO1TqhR9EnPdc_TUg4VxTh_h8qk04__COPr7aKVnkdzgESoz4QbgZonOEtDP9-ckD2ploobLyzKuH3T3z2kqyUoPKOBTmYXEzRelHqvBoJxiYs9v0-3KlWst3_YFTV92W5vZGscrmw54J7LS5F76LrsbpS5a3BWDMKktUkqTVqP72aUrzRzktV0gI-_Uyz0pFDdDwwGllzWRB_gMi1sJil-37Gt4pN2fYIRIx-7aGiRTSZzD4JLOv-QcN6nPONkdaAupLDd388_xaaBz9tayu3Jxk18pD_QJfangH7p4DmHmHnKjpwmhUNnWMu2i_WkHO-k=w857-h767-no

These ones were taken in my bedroom where the lighting isn't so great. Sorry for the crummy quality.

Pictures aren't loading for me >.>

Well, they definitely learned from the RG Sinanju. The RG Sazabi looks to have a brand new inner frame. Honestly it looks like an MG frame.

o_1ck79cq2c1ov616il1b7b3hh1ab67.jpg

Sinanju didn't have it's own frame? Did it share one with Unicorn?

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
Yep Barnes&Noble has been the go-to place for Americans for a couple years. I will share some recent images from my store. I tried to focus on the models
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Sazabi frame looks pretty beefy to me. Should be here on Thursday though thats the same day a typhoon is hitting (and right before a big Japanese holiday) so we'll have to see...

rg-sazabi%2Binner%2Bframe.JPG

Nov 3, 2017
Did the Dragonball Figure-Rise Standard kits underperform? I initially thought they were doing well since they're constantly restocked at my local hobby store, but I see very little talk about them online and it seems that no new kits have been announced in a long while

OP
OP

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This looks insanely good. I don't particularly like importing things from Japan (mostly because dealing with customs is kind of a pain), but this looks so good I'll likely make an exception. Plus it would let me order some other Japanese kits I've been looking at.

On a related note, how does buying waterslides separately work? I've never done that before, but on something this nice it feels like it would definitely be worth it. Looking at some of the past kits it looks like they are only available quite a while after the kit itself. I'm not really in a hurry, but looking at the RG Sinanju on hlj there's 1.5 years between the kit and the decals, which seems pretty extreme to me.

williamsan

Oct 27, 2017
The inner frame on the RG Sazabi looks so beefy, I had planned on getting the Ver. Ka Sazabi but this would look nice next to my other RGs...what to do...

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
same. banshee and unicorn were recent purchases, just sitting on top of a shelf in the closet taking up space.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Did the Dragonball Figure-Rise Standard kits underperform? I initially thought they were doing well since they're constantly restocked at my local hobby store, but I see very little talk about them online and it seems that no new kits have been announced in a long while
Well Picolo got released last month and Bandai side series can get sporadic(one piece grand ship line gets 2 kits a year if they are lucky) so wait and see. Thinking I'll get Picolo next month

I am also wondering about the digimon kits

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
This looks insanely good. I don't particularly like importing things from Japan (mostly because dealing with customs is kind of a pain), but this looks so good I'll likely make an exception. Plus it would let me order some other Japanese kits I've been looking at.

On a related note, how does buying waterslides separately work? I've never done that before, but on something this nice it feels like it would definitely be worth it. Looking at some of the past kits it looks like they are only available quite a while after the kit itself. I'm not really in a hurry, but looking at the RG Sinanju on hlj there's 1.5 years between the kit and the decals, which seems pretty extreme to me.

You don't need to import from Japan if you're from the states.

Rehosted. Should be fixed now.

Here's a gallery: https://imgur.com/a/lP7GcD9

Work seems clean and those were some fun shots at the end. Well done!

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Work seems clean and those were some fun shots at the end. Well done!
Well on new and recent stuff, older stuff I'm having to import, but I also haven't found a shop yet for getting older stuff. Any tips for finding shops that carry gunpla(other than B&N)

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
Well on new and recent stuff, older stuff I'm having to import, but I also haven't found a shop yet for getting older stuff. Any tips for finding shops that carry gunpla(other than B&N)
Don't know how big your area is, but just do an online search for local hobby shops. Most decent hobby shops, especially mom and pop places, that carry models carry some selection of gunpla. At least from what I've seen.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Don't know how big your area is, but just do an online search for local hobby shops. Most decent hobby shops, especially mom and pop places, that carry models carry some selection of gunpla. At least from what I've seen.
I'm moving to the periphery of a good sized state Capitol next month, so yeah big area so I'm not too worried

OP
OP

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately, I'm not.

I still don't technically have to import, but with the prices I'm seeing from EU stores I might as well import and also pick up some other stuff that's also expensive/hard to get in EU.