• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loreth_94

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Finished the GM Sniper II. Thankfully it wasn't too hard to get this pose. Really fun build.
56tROq6.jpg

hoPklMu.jpg

peqnF3K.jpg

LWt6gpb.jpg

eurSDDc.jpg

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got this guy assembled, but I still have to finish building the weapons, applying the final waterslide decals, and do a top coat.

Dpqy4GFUcAAS8Kv.jpg

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
still waiting on my RG Sazabi (along with a Hi-Metal R Ostrich Valkyrie) to get here. Still waiting. Forever waiting. SAL sux

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017

An old forum I know of for gunpla was Gundam Eclipse, but I'm not sure how active it is these days. You also have reddit.

As for stores, Amiami and HLJ are good, though if you want free shipping you'll have to wait. Gundam Planet is a specialized store that sells model kits of all kinds, though you can also find gunpla at Barnes and Noble. BBTS also sells model kits.

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
USA Gundam Store is great. Pretty decent prices and they're starting to stock more Kotobukiya kits too. The owner has emailed me a couple times thanking me for my purchases, which is nice too.

Oct 27, 2017
USA Gundam Store is great. Pretty decent prices and they're starting to stock more Kotobukiya kits too. The owner has emailed me a couple times thanking me for my purchases, which is nice too.

I've ordered from USA Gundam as well. Pretty quick shipping and yeah, the owner emails you after every purchase tho I assume that's just a template. I preordered the Metal Gear Rex Kotobukiya from there.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Pretty happy, got these in yesterday
QVpuK2z.jpg

Not sure when I'll get the the messala or Gundam mk2 I have, but may build the Sunny this weekend. Don't have a good table for the mess or delicacy of Gundam kits right now, just really wanted the big guy for my backlog, maybe when I go home at thanksgiving

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ok, so I got a fun one for you guys, I've decided to order the mg ball since I'll probably be home for a week at thanksgiving, and I've been wanting to try mg. Since I'm already doing the long ship, I thought I'd ask for a hg recommendation in the -25> lower range since I'd have the time and I might as well pair things. Any fun recommendations?

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so I got a fun one for you guys, I've decided to order the mg ball since I'll probably be home for a week at thanksgiving, and I've been wanting to try mg. Since I'm already doing the long ship, I thought I'd ask for a hg recommendation in the -25> lower range since I'd have the time and I might as well pair things. Any fun recommendations?
Any "Gundam The Origin" HGs, really. Those are really high quality for an HG. I've only done the Zaku II but I've heard good things about most of them.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Any "Gundam The Origin" HGs, really. Those are really high quality for an HG. I've only done the Zaku II but I've heard good things about most of them.
Zaku 2 was my first kit and the one from that line actually. Was thinking perhaps something mid us, or perhaps even something non up because I've already been working through hguc by show air order

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Zaku 2 was my first kit and the one from that line actually. Was thinking perhaps something mid us, or perhaps even something non up because I've already been working through hguc by show air order
Oh I see. I had fun with Grimoire, and Grimoire Red Beret looks like fun as well. The Tieren Ground Type is a nice grunt as well.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Since you already got the Messala, maybe one of the following can work as complementary transformable Zeta MS:
  • Gaplant
  • Gabthley
  • Gaza C
  • Hambrabi
  • Asshimar
Even the Zeta Gundam might be an option. There's a new re-release similar to the Revive kits, the box says "Gunpla Evolution Project" instead.

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Since you already got the Messala, maybe one of the following can work as complementary transformable Zeta MS:
  • Gaplant
  • Gabthley
  • Gaza C
  • Hambrabi
  • Asshimar
Even the Zeta Gundam might be an option. There's a new re-release similar to the Revive kits, the box says "Gunpla Evolution Project" instead.
Hadn't gotten far enough to see it hermit but boy us the Hambrabi a cool and unique design, I'm leaning towards that although I do need to get Zeta Gundam eventually (will wait on Asshimar though I do want it eventually

Edit actually I've changed my mind, I'll just take my Gundam backlog home with me at thanksgiving (Mk2 Gundam And Messala) so I can build those 2, and save my budget for another time, with how tight things are. May give into another one piece ship or chopper mech since I can get those cheap with prime shipping

Last edited:

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Latest build:

1539974818706-88012.png

My first RG. I love the finished product, but the build was a little unsatisfying at points. There were a few parts I never managed to get fully seated (you can see this on the posts coming down from the top of the head), and a few more that got stress marks from what I thought was a normal amount of handling. I wish I had taken the advice I've seen occasionally on here and trimmed the excess from the edges of the pinstripe stickers.

Looking forward to trying my hand at another RG now that I know what to expect. Is the RG Zaku II worth getting? I gather the Origin version is very well-liked.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Friend gifted me a clear Zaku MG. Any tipps or recommendations for it to make it look good? Apparently it was a limited model from a Gunpla Expo...
So I would really like to make it look great.

Its this one:
Late response but I don't think there's anything one can do to improve the looks of a clear kit. You obviously won't paint it and even panel lining is difficult because gundam marker tends not to apply very well on clear plastic.
The only advice I could give is be more careful than usual when cleaning nubs. Clear plastic tends to be harder and slightly more brittle. Mistakes when cleaning them are more visible and more difficult to fix.
I'm afraid I could only give useless recommendations.

On another note: that terrible feeling when you find a nicely discounted MG Jegan but the euro-yen exchange rate has been going down for days and at the current price of €21.71 you are not sure that when it gets to customs it won't have gone over €22 which is when taxes and fees hit like a ton of bricks (adding €23 in taxes and fees to a €22 product is never sensible).

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
oh, you can definitely paint a clear kit. I did it waaaaay back in college nearly 20 years ago.

Clear MG Char's zaku II - primed the whole thing on the sprues, cut carefully, and masked/spray painted it in sections. wasn't the best job but i was just a rookie then.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
oh, you can definitely paint a clear kit. I did it waaaaay back in college nearly 20 years ago.

Clear MG Char's zaku II - primed the whole thing on the sprues, cut carefully, and masked/spray painted it in sections. wasn't the best job but i was just a rookie then.
Clear as in completely transparent or clear red? And painting it with normal paint or clear colors? I cannot see what painting it opaque would improve.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Clear as in completely transparent or clear red? And painting it with normal paint or clear colors? I cannot see what painting it opaque would improve.

it was a transparent kit. i hate those things, but i bought it because it was dirt cheap. so i just simply primed it and painted it like normal.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I think the one posted by Chairmanchuck might be clear green. The clear Seven Swords posted by wenis was definitely in clear color for the red and blue parts and the "white" parts were translucent.
So I rest my case where I think that painting the kit is doing it a disservice. Why ruin a limited edition when getting another normal MG Zaku if you want to paint it is both easy and cheap?

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
well he said that he was gifted it, maybe he doesn't like the clear? I dunno. I mean, i bought mine because it was super duper cheap

williamsan

Oct 27, 2017
6qb3eo.jpg

My MG Tallgeese Ver. EW 1/100, I painted some of the inner frame along with gold accents. I love the legs on this kit. The spring in the dober gun makes it that much cooler!

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I think the one posted by Chairmanchuck might be clear green. The clear Seven Swords posted by wenis was definitely in clear color for the red and blue parts and the "white" parts were translucent.
So I rest my case where I think that painting the kit is doing it a disservice. Why ruin a limited edition when getting another normal MG Zaku if you want to paint it is both easy and cheap?

Yeah. Its that clear green anime expo one.

Thanks for the advice.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
On another note: that terrible feeling when you find a nicely discounted MG Jegan but the euro-yen exchange rate has been going down for days and at the current price of €21.71 you are not sure that when it gets to customs it won't have gone over €22 which is when taxes and fees hit like a ton of bricks (adding €23 in taxes and fees to a €22 product is never sensible).
If it wasn't for customs it would so much cheaper (and easier, since they're generally better stocked) to get kits. Alas, I'll have to keep waiting for the HG Moon to appear in a local shop/website.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Uniform backgrounds really help make the model pop-up.
After saying that one does not need a light-box and a chair and bed-sheets are a make-do solution, I ended up buying a relatively affordable light-box myself. :P
These are the first photos using it with the Master Grade RMS-106 Hi-Zack with Jerid Messa markings (the kit also includes markings for Kacricon Cacooler).

DqgzQGgW4AAz4Ca.jpg

DqgzQ-GWwAASIpB.jpg

DqgzRz2X0AAIpk8.jpg

DqgzStoW4AAdV3t.jpg

By the way, which lighting do you prefer in these two similar photos? In the first one the skirt looks better but the head, chest and the shoulder are a bit too shiny while in the second the top parts look ok but the skirts not so much.

DqgzT_5WwAEVnl0.jpg:small
DqgzU18WwAE0yFP.jpg:small

williamsan

Oct 27, 2017
I like the first one better, for reasons I can't articulate lol. The light box looks amazing though, the kit looks like it's standing on an infinite surface.

Oct 27, 2017
Built the Unicorn Gundam. Definitely one of the most complex builds I've done so far. Moreso then the MG I did last month. It's a pretty cool kit, but yeah.......really stiff limbs.

sHJa7dP.jpg

aYlYTsU.jpg

7fU9Un9.jpg
DKe8k54.jpg

New team shot!
cS5Se5t.jpg

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Uniform backgrounds really help make the model pop-up.
After saying that one does not need a light-box and a chair and bed-sheets are a make-do solution, I ended up buying a relatively affordable light-box myself. :P
These are the first photos using it with the Master Grade RMS-106 Hi-Zack with Jerid Messa markings (the kit also includes markings for Kacricon Cacooler).

That looks fantastic. I need to work out a photo setup.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
The light-box makes everything easier. Without it, one has to rely on having some nice daylight, curtains to diffuse the light and choosing an adequate position in the room to have even lighting that doesn't com from a single direction. All these conditions aren't always easy to meet.
The backgrounds that are included with the light-box are quite nice as well. They are very uniform and come in 4 different colors so that you can chose one that goes nicely with the subject.
A poster of a starry space background would also be nice for some action poses but I need to look for a place where I can get that at an adequate size.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
The light-box makes everything easier. Without it, one has to rely on having some nice daylight, curtains to diffuse the light and choosing an adequate position in the room to have even lighting that doesn't com from a single direction. All these conditions aren't always easy to meet.
The backgrounds that are included with the light-box are quite nice as well. They are very uniform and come in 4 different colors so that you can chose one that goes nicely with the subject.
A poster of a starry space background would also be nice for some action poses but I need to look for a place where I can get that at an adequate size.

If your camera does it, focus stacking helps out too. Especially if your subject has a dynamic pose and you cant quite get everything in focus.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking of buying a semi-decent camera. Right now I'm using my mobile phone's camera and it's less than ideal.

might i suggest a Fuji X-t2. used can be had for around 700 bucks, latest firmware gave it focus stack capability. I have one and its great.

Man it's almost been a month and still no sign of my Hi Metal R Ostrich and RG Sazabi. I wanted to build it this weekend :x

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
might i suggest a Fuji X-t2. used can be had for around 700 bucks, latest firmware gave it focus stack capability. I have one and its great.

Man it's almost been a month and still no sign of my Hi Metal R Ostrich and RG Sazabi. I wanted to build it this weekend :x
That's more decent than I was thinking. :P And I'm not too fond of getting used equipment.
I'm more inclined to get something in the €300-400 range which should still be a nice upgrade from the camera on my phone. The thing is that I know myself and I would probably use it mostly for getting pictures of gunpla (I'm not much into activities like tourism or hiking) so it's difficult to justify the cost. The price of some DSLR is eyewatering even if their photos look stunning.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
That's more decent than I was thinking. :P And I'm not too fond of getting used equipment.
I'm more inclined to get something in the €300-400 range which should still be a nice upgrade from the camera on my phone. The thing is that I know myself and I would probably use it mostly for getting pictures of gunpla (I'm not much into activities like tourism or hiking) so it's difficult to justify the cost. The price of some DSLR is eyewatering even if their photos look stunning.

you can get an x-t1 or an x-pro1 or the previous gen fuji ILC mirrorless cameras for like 200-300 USD nowadays. Cheap as shit and takes great photos! Its used gear yeah but absolutey no reason to pay full price for something like a camera which literally has a lifespan of hundereds of thousands of shutter clicks. Like buying a used car really.

williamsan

Oct 27, 2017
Am I right in thinking I can take all the paint off plastic with alcohol? Perhaps a soak? Or is sandpaper my only option?

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Guntanks tend to be very a different experience to most gunpla. The lower part can be a bit underwhelming during the build but they are a nice visual break on the shelf from the typical humanoid shape.

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, on this particular kit having to do everything twice was a real drag. But I've got him next to my Z'Gok and their poses match up, so I'm happy.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Saving my mk 2 and Messala for thanksgiving week since I'll be home with good tables and time to kill. May build the thousand sunny this week, and it's time for me to take a pic of the ships together