• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

williamsan

Oct 27, 2017
Maguro Gundam does nothing for me. Maybe once I've had the opportunity to watch Narrative my opinion will change.

Anyway, recent build of the Master Grade YMS-15 Gyan. Applying the numerous little eject signs visible in the shoulders and lower legs was a chore.
A cartoonish MS design for the most cartoonish villain in the original MSG.

DvB4f8QX0AAV2LZ.jpg

DvB4g9gXcAEaBha.jpg

DvB4iGrX0AANpnk.jpg

DvB4jnAW0AAwlpX.jpg
I've always liked the design of this mobile suit, and time spent on the small details paid off I think. It's a shame the effect part only has 3 plumes but it still looks pretty cool

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi model-era. Haven't posted any videos that you lovelies would be interested in a while.

So here's one, that might be a fun projects you all.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Diary of a plamo addict - Day XX

Today I took advantage of the holidays to do a thorough dusting of the plamo cabinets. This involved taking the models out of their shelves, dusting the shelf itself, using a soft brush to dust the models (I'm not doing the compressed air thing), and placing the models back in the shelf. One shelf at a time because I'd like to avoid the chaos of numerous kits on the various tables of the house.
Needless to say, this took forever and I won't be doing it again, at the earliest, until next year.
Fortunately, no piece was lost or broken, so all is good.

OP
OP

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With the coming holidays (which also means some nice free time) I decided to do something I've been meaning to do for a while: get back into building gunpla. I picked up a couple of kits a few weeks back and started with the HG RGZ-95 ReZEL Type-C (Defenser B Unit) (GR):

It's a pretty nice kit. The high number of parts makes building it fun, and the white parts make for some nice color variation. It also manages to stand up quite well even without a stand. The biggest issue are the mega beam launchers - considering they are the main feature of this variant they just don't look very impressive, and the big seam running down the middle is quite ugly (though there's not much that Bandai could have done there). The backpack also relies entirely on stickers for color separation, which is a bit disappointing considering the rest of the kit doesn't.

The above build is missing the stickers. That's because the real reason I wanted to start building gunpla again was because I finally wanted to try some scratch-building/detailing/panel-line scribing/customizing. Back when I started with gunpla a couple of years ago I thought that was awesome, but I didn't quite have the skills to do it. I still probably don't, but I'm quite used to messing things up at this point, so I figured I'd give it a go.

The result after the first day is some added detail on the legs:

It's quite rough at the moment. There's lots of pencil marks and putty from where I screwed up with the panel lines (which is a lot of places), but those won't matter when I start painting. The panel lines could definitely use a lot of work, but they aren't a complete disaster at least. Granted, this probably wasn't the best kit to try this out on since it already has a lot going on, but this does mean I'm not particularly worried about going overboard with the things I add. It will also let me fix the seams on the mega beam launchers, so that's nice as well.

I honestly barely have a clue on what I'm doing but I'm hoping the end result will be good. I'm quite enjoying the fact that I can pretty much do anything, which is quite the change from just following the instructions.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Yes!
hWtLxlgh.jpg

got This from my sister for Christmas! Can't wait to build it. Also still have a 100$ to spend at b&n so I may grab a mg and perhaps astray no name... question is what edit: so I'm open to suggestions on recommended kits available at Barnes and nobles. Also considering making Psycho there my first panel lining project so could use advice on those two(have the standard federation set of gunpla markers)

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'll never stop recommending the Mk-II Ver 2.0 as a very decent starting point to Master Grades at a relatively affordable price.
Titans or AEUG colors is up to you. The AEUG one comes with an Argama hangar display base but is slightly more expensive.
Sorry to say I meant at Barnes and nobles in store, I'm not doing any orders at the moment. ZZ Kai is the most common mg I've seen, although I've seen wing tv as well. I'll probably do a hg or two as well. Want a small backlog so I don't have to deal with ordering anything for a few months

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I wouldn't know what to tell you. Searching for gunpla in their website to get an idea on what they might have in stock seems to be useless and I don't live in the US.
The Ver Ka ZZ is probably a solid choice even though I don't own it.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I wouldn't know what to tell you. Searching for gunpla in their website to get an idea on what they might have in stock seems to be useless and I don't live in the US.
The Ver Ka ZZ is probably a solid choice even though I don't own it.
Ok this is never for sure but it seems MGs currently available at my store are:
Gundam wing tv
00 QAN[T] full saber
Gundam F91 ver 2
And like I said I've seen ZZ KAI a lot but who knows. Got a good grip on what I want hg though XD

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
F91 might be a bit underwhelming because the mobile suit itself is quite small (some 15m compared to the 18-20m of other UC MS)
Among the others, I'd say choose the one you like the looks of.

williamsan

Oct 27, 2017
My best friend mailed me a Christmas package containing two System Base 001 kits and a General Grievous 1/12 bandai kit. Got it snapped together and I think it looks improved despite only painting so little. It says it can hold HG and RG size kits but it makes my RG Sazabi and Sinanju look like they're couched in a throne haha. Please forgive those massive nub marks on the front

20nlw1.jpg

16h9b36.jpg

ogjsaq.jpg

I want to do more painting on the second system base, maybe some lines on the floor or more blacks and greys on the structure itself. I need a better paintbrush, first. I hope everyone had a good holiday break!

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
xEik this is all your fault! /jk
0QOsQUEh.jpg

I'm kidding but you did give me a thought. Barnes & Nobles was pretty wiped out from the Christmas rush, still had 7 or so hg choices and 2 mg and sadly I couldn't find the wing gundam mg they supposedly out and they were out of ZZ Kai, astray no name and moon gundam. However I had a 100$ gift card saved and with my member bonus got 10% off so it only cost me 7 bucks. While the f91 is on the smaller side it gives me a smaller one to start with before the 00 so I can adapt to mg. And with that I have 1 order to put in I can get stateside then my backlog is set till summer. I'm moving to a family place for the year that's remote so I only do runs to a place with b&n once and a while and I don't want to deal with Japan orders till summer due to snow levels.

So here's my current backlog:
Hg Psycho Gundam,
Chopper mech series 1 x3 (tank, mole, sardine)
Mg 00
Mg F91 ver 2

Choppers make nice spacers although the real challenge is the number of stickers. Oh and to wrap things up I plan to order the final series one mech I don't have and astray no name hg(both are available on Amazon with prime shipping) but other wise I'm sparing my budget till I clear this all out, and we'll all the gundams I have left are at least 2 day builds

Still need some marker tips... trying to decide if on one of the new kits or revisit a completed one

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
@xEik this is all your fault! /jk
Enjoy! I guess? :P
I've been buying gunpla since 2011 and I haven't pulled the trigger on getting a PG yet.
This post of mine has aged poorly in less than 10 days. I suppose that some people received duplicated PG Unicorn gifts this Christmas because I couldn't resist the 50% pre-owned discount that I found today. No idea how much shipping is going to be but I'm sure it is going to hurt.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Enjoy! I guess? :P

This post of mine has aged poorly in less than 10 days. I suppose that some people received duplicated PG Unicorn gifts this Christmas because I couldn't resist the 50% pre-owned discount that I found today. No idea how much shipping is going to be but I'm sure it is going to hurt.
The joke is you said the f91 would be disappointing as a first mg so I decided to get both because they didn't have any hg that spoke to me

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
The joke is you said the f91 would be disappointing as a first mg so I decided to get both because they didn't have any hg that spoke to me
I was talking mostly about size. My first MG was Victory Gundam and that one is also quite small. Specially coming from building a Mega Size RX-78-2. That my next HG was Gundam ZZ whose beam sabers at 1/144 dwarf the 1/100 beam sabers of Victory was also something a bit surprising.
If you build the Psycho before F91 I can guarantee it will look huge compared to it.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
xEik well yeah, the Pyscho is bigger than most hg's and even a lot of MGs other than say perfect Zeong

Also here's my BanPla backlog in all its glory!
Wb9XfTlh.jpg

Plan to build probably the sardine chopper mech tomorrow. Still need to order the chopper crab mech and I'm considering the hg astray no name but otherwise I'm set summer, especially with the time and effort the three big guys

Say I could use a gundam marker guide I think I'm going to finally try and do it

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Finished the Waist and Torso of the Freedom 2.0, Arms head and backpack left.

I'm trying to do a woodgrain type thing for the wings with oil paint as per this guide. So far results are mixed, it does look alright looking close up but its really dark and doesn't look as good in pictures, I haven't done the clear yellow/orang top coat because I'm still waiting for it to dry, the other side of the wings still need doing so I'll try those with a lighter oil base and we'll see.

OP
OP

erd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Say I could use a gundam marker guide I think I'm going to finally try and do it
There's some guides online (here's one example, and here's another) but it's pretty straightforward. You take the marker (general rule of the thumb is grey for lighter parts and black for darker parts, but other colors can work as well) and use it to paint the panel lines. After you paint a line, clean it up a bit with an eraser or a cotton bud, which you can also use to clean up any mistakes you make. This also means that you don't really have to be afraid of messing up since mistakes can be corrected quite easily.

That's assuming you're just talking about panel lining. You can also use the markers to paint small details.
Finished the Waist and Torso of the Freedom 2.0, Arms head and backpack left.

I'm trying to do a woodgrain type thing for the wings with oil paint as per this guide. So far results are mixed, it does look alright looking close up but its really dark and doesn't look as good in pictures, I haven't done the clear yellow/orang top coat because I'm still waiting for it to dry, the other side of the wings still need doing so I'll try those with a lighter oil base and we'll see.
This looks really nice. Wood grain on the wings sounds like a very interesting choice so I'm quite interested in seeing how that will turn out.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since the year is about over I thought I'd ask everyone, if they want, to list every kit they've finished in 2018.

Typing mine up, er, definitely a productive year but I may have gone overboard...

Finished kits in 2018:
  • MG S Gundam
  • HGFC God Gundam
  • MG Justice Gundam
  • MG Deep Striker
  • RG Unicorn Gundam [Bandee Dessinee Ver.]
  • RG Unicorn Gundam 02 Banshee Norn
  • HG G-Saviour
  • MG Wing Gundam
  • HGUC ZZ Gundam
  • HGAC Leo
  • FMP 1/60 Arbalest Ver.IV
  • Super Mini-Pla King Brachion/Titanus
  • HGUC V2 Assault Buster Gundam
  • HGUC Unicorn Gundam 03 Phenex [Narrative Ver.]
  • HGBD Gundam 00 Sky
  • HGBD Gundam 00 Sky [Higher Than Sky Phase]
  • Super Mini-Pla GoLion/Voltron
  • RG Sazabi
  • Figure-rise Standard Super Saiyan Vegito
  • Figure-rise Standard Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Son Goku
  • Figure-rise Standard Legendary Super Saiyan Broly
  • HGUC Unicorn Gundam 03 Phenex [Narrative Ver.] [Gold Coating]
  • HGUC Moon Gundam

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
This isn't 100% accurate since I just went through my Tweeter timeline, so technically it's the kits I posted on social media in 2018 and sometimes I procrastinate on taking photos of already finished kits. This means that kit number one might not have been finished in 2018 but on the last days of 2017. It's OK because I have a couple of kits finished this year that I still haven't posted so it kind of compensates itself.
  1. HG VGMM-Gf10 G-Lucifer
  2. HGUC RX-0 Full Armor Unicorn Gundam (Destroy Mode) Green psychoframe
  3. HGIBO STH-14s Hyakuri
  4. MG MSA-003 Nemo
  5. MG MSM-04 Acguy
  6. MG RX-79[G] Gundam Ground Type
  7. HG VGMM-La01b Dahack
  8. SD RX-77-2 Guncannon
  9. HGUC MSA-005 Methuss
  10. 1/100 ASW-G-66 Gundam Kimaris
  11. HG VGMM-Git01 Kabakali
  12. Accel World's Black Lotus
  13. RE/100 MS-08TX [EXAM] Efreet Custom
  14. MG MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam
  15. HG VGMM-Sc02 Gastima
  16. MG RGM-79 [E] GM Early Type (used a MG RGM-79C GM Kai Space Type)
  17. HGUC AMX-003 Gaza C
  18. MG XXXG-00W0 Wing Gundam Zero ver. EW
  19. HG MSAM-YM03 Montero
  20. MG RGM-79N GM Custom
  21. MG RMS-106 Hi-Zack
  22. HG MSAM-033 Gundam G-Arcane
  23. 1/100 EB-06 Graze
  24. 1/72 UCR-10/L AGNI
  25. MG YMS-15 Gyan

Last edited:

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
So, they are not in order, but these should be all. I think I did some of Nu in 2017, but waterslides and topcoating in 2018.
  1. 1/100 Grimgerde
  2. HG Reginlaze Julia
  3. HG Grimoire
  4. HG Zaku 2-C the Origin
  5. MG God Gundam
  6. MG Gundam Spiegel
  7. MG Master Gundam
  8. HG Master Gundam + Fuunsaiki
  9. Hi-Nu Gundam ver. Ka
  10. Nu Gundam ver. Ka
  11. PG Exia Lighting version (yet to put on decals and topcoat though)
  12. HG Tieren Ground Type
  13. MG 00 XN Raiser
  14. (not bandai but MG-style) Raftclans Faunea
  15. (not bandai but big HG-style) Alteisen
  16. M9 Gernsback ver. IV (not complete yet, yet to weather it)
  17. Bandai Star wars Tie Advanced
  18. Bandai Star wars X-wing red squadron
  19. RG Z'gok Char colors
  20. RG Astray red frame special plating edition
  21. RG Unicorn Gundam
  22. Hobbymission MG Astraea Avalanche Type-F
  23. HG Denial Gundam
  24. RG Justice Gundam
And currently I'm working on Supernova MG Heavyarms Custom. I'm almost done with it, just gotta put on decals.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Well obviously this is my first year, especially since I started in May, but I think I've done pretty good, this should be in order. All builds are HGUC where applicable
  1. Char's Zaku 2(origins)
  2. Mobile suit Gundam '78(revive)
  3. Guncannon (revive)
  4. Gouf(revive)
  5. Black beards ship(one piece grand line)
  6. Going Merry (one piece grand line)
  7. Gun tank
  8. Zeong
  9. Thousand Sunny (one piece grand line)
  10. Rick-Dias
  11. Chopper's Duck mech(one piece mech line #1)
  12. Law's Submarine. (one piece grand line)
  13. Gundam mk2(revive)
  14. Messala

And that's it for this year but I had a great time... real question is what order am I going to build F91(mg), 00 saber(mg), and Psycho Gundam(hg) in.... I'm thinking I may save the Psycho for last as everything else will be so small after it. Also need to take some good shots of all my built gundam

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
HG RGZ-95 ReZEL Type-C (Defenser B Unit) (GR):

It's a pretty nice kit. The high number of parts makes building it fun.

Looks so cool. Been wanting the MG of this kit since I started building regularly. Maybe will be my next transforming kit.

Also been eyeing the Gundam 00 Seven Sword MG. That rifle is sweet~

Kits I made this year:

1. HG Kamiki Burning Gundam [Gundam Base Special Edition]
2. HG Reverseable Gundam
3. HG Papaguy
4. MG Sinanju Stien Ver. Ka
5. HG Star Burning Gundam
6. MG Hyaku Shiki + Ballute System
7. HG GM Intercept Cusom
8. HG Dreissen
9. 2 HG Petit Bear Guys

More than I thought I did this year!

Still never got to my Altron sadly. Wanted to do it this winter break but decided to go hard on my games/backlog instead. Also resisted buying more kits til I do. Not gonna lie the biggest reason I have not built it is, its one of my favorite kits, super rare, and man oh man if I mess it up I'll be devistated haha. My Dreissen gave me confidence in building though.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
I started with gunpla in June (thanks in part to this thread). Let's see if I can do this from memory:

• HG RGM-79
  • HG Cherudim Gundam SAGA type.gbf
  • MG GM Sniper II
  • HG GM Guard Custom
  • RG Char's Z'gok
  • HG Ground Gundam
  • HG Zaku II Shin Matsunaga Custom
  • HG Gaza-C
  • RG Zaku II
What can I say, I love grunt suits. Still need to get pics of the RG Zaku

OP
OP

erd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's my list of 2018, though it's pretty light on gunpla:
  1. Revell 1/72 Supermarine Spitfire MK V - A very basic kit, but a nice cheap choice for my first real attempt at painting. It went quite well considering I basically had no idea what I was doing.
  2. Tamiya 1/48 JGSDF light armored vehicle - A great kit, but I feel like I could have done more with it. I didn't really end up learning anything from it.
  3. Revell 1/72 BK117 ADAC - First kit I airbrushed, and the end result was quite bad. It made for some nice airbrush practice at least.
  4. Tamiya 1/35 T-62A Tank - This one was great. It was the first time I used things like shading and weathering and the result was much better than anything I've done before.
  5. Tamiya 1/48 F4D-1 Skyray - I quite like how this one ended up, but I do feel like I was a bit too conservative with the color variation and weathering.
  6. HG RGZ-95 ReZEL Type-C (Defenser B Unit) (GR) - This one maybe doesn't really count since I'm still trying to add some extra detail and I'm planning on painting it, but it looks ok even without that so I'm keeping it on the list.
I feel like the year went pretty well. I went from never painting before to airbrushing with shading and weathering. I'd still like to improve in a lot of areas, but I'm satisfied with what I've done this year.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I know that HG are cheaper and generally more stable for having less moving parts but once an MS has an RG version, I'm not going to get the equivalent HG no matter how new. It's one of the reasons I'm never buying an HG Nu, the RG is sure to eventually come.
There have been instances of me buying an HG because I never thought a non P-Bandai RG would be released of them (case in point: Build Strike Gundam Full Package and Full Armor Unicorn Gundam) but that's a different situation.

Last edited:

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
This year I only built the Tryon 3 I think?Does finishing my Koto Specineff and having a 75% done RG Gok count as two more?

williamsan

Oct 27, 2017
I know that HG are cheaper and generally more stable for having less moving parts but once an MS has an RG version, I'm not going to get the equivalent HG no matter how new. It's one of the reasons I'm never buying an HG Nu, the RG is sure to eventually come.
There have been instances of me buying an HG because I never thought a non P-Bandai RG would be released of them (case in point: Build Strike Gundam Full Package and Full Armor Unicorn Gundam) but that's a different situation.

I was in that boat a couple months ago. I didnt think bandai would make a MG Stargazer so I had to settle for the HG. I've been told a 1/100 resin kit exists but I'm totally out of my depth there. I hear its toxic to breathe in, and I dont have a respirator...

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
latest build and last of 2018. took a bit of a break to focus on the job, but now I've got a backlog and I wanted to get this RX-78-2 Ver. 3 MG finished before the new year. Didnt go with the included decals, but I will be looking for some water slide decals, tho they seem to be sold out for this model in particular right now. I did go through and hit some parts with the metallic Gold and Silver pens and will retouch with the traditional color pens on the nub marks. Kinda like the clean look of it.

m8E2J7u.jpg

9QZsQuc.jpg

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
^ I love the metallic shield underside. It's a nice touch.
I also did the star insignia on the front as well (and the screws, tho I need to go back and retouch the shield entirely to get rid of white traces).

fyzVR4y.jpg

I've also got a metallic red pen, but I think that may be overkill if I did the full red shield.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
latest build and last of 2018. took a bit of a break to focus on the job, but now I've got a backlog and I wanted to get this RX-78-2 Ver. 3 MG finished before the new year. Didnt go with the included decals, but I will be looking for some water slide decals, tho they seem to be sold out for this model in particular right now. I did go through and hit some parts with the metallic Gold and Silver pens and will retouch with the traditional color pens on the nub marks. Kinda like the clean look of it.
The screws on the shield add a nice touch.
I cannot stop looking at the Golden Girls iconography, though. :P

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Thread is a bit slow if I'm double posting with a three day interval.
First gunpla pictures of the year: HGBF GAT-X105B/FP Build Strike Gundam Full Package
The Real Grade is in the backlog since I bought the High Grade before the RG was announced.
I didn't bother painting those twin cannons that should be partly grey. The blue in the knees and the white in the wings being stickers is quite meh. There are a couple more but they aren't as noticeable.

DwKUyDLWwAA7mD3.jpg

DwKUzOjWkAEDl0w.jpg

DwKU0YsX0AA4F58.jpg

DwKU1h5XgAARfka.jpg

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hm may do a small build to help today xEik but I'm not sure what order I'm going to do the big guys in although I think the Psycho will be last. Just don't know if I want to do the 00 or the f91 as my first master grade. Doing a little chopper mech today that's a quick hg ish build. Also will order the astray no name when I get my P.O. Box next week

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I (probably) won't be buying any kit until I find some more space. The shelf filled up quite quickly. I could probably place someone small-ish like the RG Exia though.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Working on an HG RGM-79 Ground Type this morning. Pretty fun and straight forward build. I can focus on just details with this one and I'm painting details vs using the included decals.

zBytGxS.jpg

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Finished up the Gaza-C a while back, but I've been too lazy to post it.

Currently working on painting the pilot figure for my RG Zaku and detail painting on the MSD Guncannon Firepower Test Type. I also put together a display shelf over the holiday break. Still looks pretty empty for the time being.

OP
OP

erd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm done with adding extra detail to the HG Rezel:

It came out looking a lot less clean than I'd ideally like, but comparing it to what I started off from the original appearance does seem a bit plain and empty now. There's also scratches and putty visible from removing some of the seams, but those should (hopefully) not be visible after painting.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I was passing through Memphis, Tennessee on Friday while me and family were heading to Missouri for a relatives' funeral. Stopped by this store called Animax, they had a great selection of Gunpla. Ended up getting this for only $20.

20190106-192936.jpg

I've pretty much given up on finding the DX Wings of Light edition for a decent price, anyway.

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
First build of the new year!
D9dqrEG.jpg

ROmWKcI.jpg

Just a quick little chopper mech, although the payoff will be fun when I get the last one and build them all. Didn't build the two mini choppers yet, they are a pain in the butt due to sticker complexity

Got bigger guys to build but still have to decide if I'm doing the F91 or 00 saber mg

Kenichiwak

Oct 27, 2017
First build of the new year!
D9dqrEG.jpg

ROmWKcI.jpg

Just a quick little chopper mech, although the payoff will be fun when I get the last one and build them all. Didn't build the two mini choppers yet, they are a pain in the butt due to sticker complexity

Got bigger guys to build but still have to decide if I'm doing the F91 or 00 saber mg
Looks interesting. What model kit is this?