• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

williamsan

Oct 27, 2017
Well it's not exactly excellent paintwork, but I want to say it's at least better than the stock plastic.
OzF32HC.png
aYM1fKU.png
slxCTaE.png

That must have taken a while paint! The last time I handpainted with metallic colors I left thin patches here and there despite multiple coatings. I don't have the patience for it haha. I really like the detailed parts when the guts are out. Does all of that just come out of the R2? All his limbs can fold inside? That's a cool kit.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
YES! Like this one:
DwRXtLfV4AApwKm.jpg

DwRXt7jUUAIabnc.jpg

https://twitter.com/__hui_/status/1082086260590538754
Looks like a mix of these two kits:
https://www.kotobukiya.co.jp/product/product-0000002459/
https://www.kotobukiya.co.jp/product/product-0000003069/

Or when you are the official developer and decided to go nuts:
322bddc2b8b63e35e1defd613bd6c07e49a0ce4c.jpg

qmBzUkg.jpg

Above photo was shot by me when I was at Japan last July.

Holy shit that looks epic. I'd totally buy it.

*stares at still untouched HMM Gojulas*

Once I finish my backlog.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
That must have taken a while paint! The last time I handpainted with metallic colors I left thin patches here and there despite multiple coatings. I don't have the patience for it haha. I really like the detailed parts when the guts are out. Does all of that just come out of the R2? All his limbs can fold inside? That's a cool kit.
Yeah, it took me quite a while considering how small it is. It's a pretty neat kit, but not that complex. The middle leg is the only thing that's actually stored inside the body. All the little arms and such are just straight pegs, and the little doors have separate open and closed pieces.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Daaamn, back when the Zone of the Enders Kotobukiya Jehuty came out, I told myself I'd wait until I was comfortable painting metallics to get it, but now that I feel that I'm prepared for it...I notice the price is absolutely insane on it now.

Guess I'll hope for a reissue :/
This quote is super old but in case you are still interested, it is now available at AmiAmi.
Allegedly, they are coming to the US in March as well in case you live there and don't like importing.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
This quote is super old but in case you are still interested, it is now available at AmiAmi.
Allegedly, they are coming to the US in March as well in case you live there and don't like importing.
Holy shit dude, you're my fucking hero. Thanks for remembering my old post, I just ordered it.

You have no idea how much you just made my day/week/month :3

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Started the RG Tallgeese yesterday. Only finished a leg so far but taking it slow this time. Also, applying stickers as I complete parts is so much easier than when the entire kit is done hahahaha.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Holy shit dude, you're my fucking hero. Thanks for remembering my old post, I just ordered it.

You have no idea how much you just made my day/week/month :3
Glad it was useful. I was simply browsing that site and when seeing Jehuty in stock I remembered someone saying that they failed to get one in the past.
The search function did the rest.
They also have Anubis in stock but you probably already saw that and I don't even know if you are interested in that one. I find it a bit expensive compared to Jehuty even if it comes with more stuff.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Having received the Master Grade Destiny Extreme Blast today, I have to say I'm covered.
The shape of the HG wings looks better from what I can see in the photo but I prefer the colors of the MG wings.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Well it's done!
Finished my latest gunpla Astray no Name from build divers, really liked the design and wanted another kit to practice on before starting the mg
EWlV7fx.jpg
WNPkEKb.jpg

VNm8eXc.jpg

That and my next three builds are Gundams so I wanted something different
Which reminds me, need to figure out what my first Master Grade will be, F-91 or 00 QAN[T] Full Saber(saving my hguc Psycho Gundam for after). Any thoughts?

Also finally finished Zeta and I seriously want the Quebley when I finish my backlog(Asshimar, Shiki, Messthula are also on my to consider list) problem is should I go hg or mg? XD, also plan to take some new picks of my hg collection soon

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Siren from Xenoblade Chronicles 2:
qteIhpx.png

Totally fucked up the decal application and it still came out looking pretty awesome somehow.

Obviously doesn't match the game's colors exactly though.

Last edited:

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Not being familiar with the actual robot, I'm unable to pinpoint what decals you might have misplaced.

The latest build is the HGUC RGZ-91 Re-GZ. For an MS that was in operation for so little time and by so few people, it has to be be said that piloting it is almost a death sentence.

The waverider mode is really basic, surpassing even Gundam Wing for that "just some wings and a robot hiding underneath" look.

DxSg1JaWsAEzv6z.jpg

DxSg2VSW0AAdwEy.jpg

DxSg3hxW0AAoP4K.jpg

The kit came with absolutely zero markings so I salvaged some spare ones from a couple of GMs for the numbers and Federation logos. Surprisingly, the Amuro personal marks come from a Schuzrum Dias and I have no idea why they were included with that kit.

I have to say that I like how this kit had pointy antennae out of the box with no need to mod them to get the correct look, something that isn't usual in most HG.

DxSg6LKWwAEvYc3.jpg

DxSg7VyWsAEayEQ.jpg

DxSg8gyWkAERlJt.jpg

The kit will end in the Gundam Unicorn shelf even though the MS only appears in that show for less than a second because my HGUC shelf is full and the Unicorn shelf has space available.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
qteIhpx.png

Totally fucked up the decal application and it still came out looking pretty awesome somehow.

Obviously doesn't match the game's colors exactly though.

That thing looks really cool. Not a fan of how they translated those energy wings, though. Should have went for actual parts, especially since it doesn't seem to be a small kit.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Not being familiar with the actual robot, I'm unable to pinpoint what decals you might have misplaced.
Less misplaced and more broken/wrinkled. The long skinny shapes of the front facing gold markings were too much for me.

That thing looks really cool. Not a fan of how they translated those energy wings, though. Should have went for actual parts, especially since it doesn't seem to be a small kit.

Honestly, I'm glad they didn't. The thought of trying to pose this thing without putting too much pressure on 20 thin plastic shards is already giving me anxiety.

As for scale, it certainly takes up a lot of space on the shelf, but without the wings it wouldn't be much taller than your average six inch scale figure.
7HydoKq.png

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
New MG of the S/Ex-S Gundam. It'll be a 2-in-1 kit, base S Gundam with Ex-S Parts.
Well, at least I'm glad I never got the old MG Ex-S. Since I already have the S in the backlog maybe one day I could get this as a companion.
The price is a bit Ex-S-ive, though. :P Getting a kit that costs more than 10,000 yen is something that I do, at most, once a year and maybe not even that often.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I saw someone on twitter cut out those wings piece by piece and place them onto the kit directly. Takes lots of work obviously.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Reorganized a little so I though I'd show off the gang
50ta60g.jpg

5UsE6m5.jpg

z3yxAiu.jpg

I need to get some glue and fix up some broken little bits. Definitely going to be more careful storing my MGs and the Psycho. But thanks to me not moving around for a while I'm putting the high grades in a tub so I can pull them out if I want to do some posing and picture shots
02EsP4R.jpg

Due to some rent conditions I can't just display them on the mantle sadly

I think I'm building the f91 mg next out of my Gundam stuff, while small for a mg I still think it's a better place to start than the 00

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So my friend gave me a HG Turn-A because he knows how much I love Turn-A Gundam and wow this thing is fun to put together. This is my first time working with Gunpla and I love it. Only done on the torso right now, working my way down to the legs.

OP
OP

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've made some progress on my custom HG ReZEL. When I posted about it around a week ago I wasn't very satisfied with how it looked. The two main colors didn't look different enough and it just didn't look very exciting overall. I think I've now managed to improve it nicely:
cexgNyj.jpg
EvffxfL.jpg

The things I did were:
  • I replaced the previous dark gray color with a lighter blueish gray. It's a bit unusual, but I think it works quite well and it's much more visible than the previous color was.
  • I added some more "white" (the actual color is deck tan since white would be a bit too bright) parts to make the paint scheme more interesting. This also makes the part on the head stand out a lot less than it did before.
  • I added a lot of shading/color modulation. This makes the previously dull green color look more interesting. It's the first time I went this heavy with the shading, but I think the end result is quite good.
  • I highlighted the raised details with a brighter shade of the main color. This makes them pop out a bit more while still ensuring they look like they are painted in the same color as everything else.
  • I hand-painted some details on the waist and the head. Sadly, I discovered that my detail-painting skills aren't good enough to properly paint the emblem on the waist so I'm probably going to leave it as it is.

It's still mostly green, but it doesn't look nearly as boring as it did before. The shading might be a bit overdone for some, but my previous builds all felt like they were somewhat lacking in that department, so I figured I'd try to go a bit further this time. It's far from perfect, but I'm liking how it's looking right now.

Now all that's left is painting the beam launchers, some additional detail-painting and maybe some chipping before I can move on to decals and weathering.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Now all that's left is painting the beam launchers, some additional detail-painting and maybe some chipping before I can move on to decals and weathering.
You may have missed this in my response to your earlier photos because it was a late edit but I still believe giving some contrast to the face visor and shoulder cameras would be a good idea. I think the Jegan ECOAS is a good example of a mobile suit with a military color scheme that uses the shiny face visor for good effect.
If you like that effect or not is a different matter.

OP
OP

erd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You may have missed this in my response to your earlier photos because it was a late edit but I still believe giving some contrast to the face visor and shoulder cameras would be a good idea. I think the Jegan ECOAS is a good example of a mobile suit with a military color scheme that uses the shiny face visor for good effect.
If you like that effect or not is a different matter.
I did miss that, so thanks for bringing it up.

I am actually planning to do that. For the visor, it's just going to be the original clear part but it's currently masked so that it doesn't get painted over. For everything else that was supposed to be shiny (the shoulders, the two things on the torso and a bunch of things on the guns) I'm planning to do that at the very end. Since those don't have clear parts I'm just planning to do some clear yellow over a metallic paint (to match the color of the visor). The reason I'm leaving it until later is that I can't put a flat top coat over those parts or they would stop being shiny (I think? Not too sure about that, but I'd rather not take any chances), and I figure leaving them for last is easier than masking them. And I also don't actually have any clear yellow paint yet, so I'll have to wait for shipping on that one.

Like you said, it should look good.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
the original clear part but it's currently masked
Good to know, I believe that was the right choice.
The reason I'm leaving it until later is that I can't put a flat top coat over those parts or they would stop being shiny
Definitely leave the mask on until you've done the flat topcoat or it will ruin the shininess of the clear part. Since the shoulder parts were not clear parts that's going to be trickier so I wouldn't class that as absolutely necessary, if it ends being too much trouble, the face visor should be enough.

The thing about clear parts is that, in my opinion, one should have the precaution of putting something shiny behind them or they appear a bit too dark in normal light conditions.
Compare the face of my MG ReZEL which only has dark grey plastic behind with the shoulder cameras that have a shiny sticker that comes as standard placed behind the clear parts. All the clear parts are the same shade of red.
DxdJffuWkAA45kt.jpg

Whether the muted face or the gaudy shoulders look better is a matter of personal preference, though.

OP
OP

erd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about clear parts is that, in my opinion, one should have the precaution of putting something shiny behind them or they appear a bit too dark in normal light conditions.
The HG ReZEL comes with a metallic sticker that is placed behind the visor, so I'm covered in that regard.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Good to know, I believe that was the right choice.

Definitely leave the mask on until you've done the flat topcoat or it will ruin the shininess of the clear part.

I wish I masked off the clear visor of the zaku I built, the clear top coat ruined the transparency of the clear plastic. Lesson learned. I'll be masking off the eyes on the ez-8 [MG] im in the process of building.

Current status
xrZtKnlh.jpg

o8YTWPJh.jpg

0IhpTrsh.jpg

Holding off on weapon assembly since I'm eager to put the stickers on and get to chipping, weathering, and damage. A little nervous about all that vs the zaku [RG], since this kits taken me a lot longer to build, and I don't want to screw it up lol. I'll be aiming for a little bit more subtlety with the weathering / damage for the ez8.

Practiced some posing with the Zaku build, and I'm struggling with the posability of that RG kit. Seems very delicate, the legs pop off easily, and not much ab flexibility etc. So I just stuck with a standing stance lol.
QeGKxWmh.jpg

kJLtSXjh.jpg

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
I wish I masked off the clear visor of the zaku I built, the clear top coat ruined the transparency of the clear plastic. Lesson learned. I'll be masking off the eyes on the ez-8 [MG] im in the process of building.
I'm not 100% certain it would work or whether it's worth the hassle but I've read that giving a gloss topcoat to the clear part might be able to fix it (at least partially).

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
There's also a Metal Gear Ray. Guess I know what I'm gonna grab this paycheck.
Ah shit, the 1/100 Metal Gear Rex is getting a restock. RIP wallet.
No kidding. Might have to cop that as a treat to myself if that job interview earlier really went as well as I thought. There a link?
In the next round of "This quotes are old but maybe you are still interested in this reprint of a previously out of stock kit": the Metal Gear Rex is now available to order from Japan in case you don't live in the USA or do not want to wait for the local March restock.

May 21, 2018
Baltimore MD
In the next round of "This quotes are old but maybe you are still interested in this reprint of a previously out of stock kit": the Metal Gear Rex is now available to order from Japan in case you don't live in the USA or do not want to wait for the local March restock.

I still would love to build the Rex. I bought a kit for the DBZ Saiyan Pod, and that's still in the plastic. I'd like to get around to doing it though. Is it cool to link here where the best place to purchase the kit from would be? I'm in the US btw.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Is it cool to link here where the best place to purchase the kit from would be?
The website where I've seen it is AmiAmi since they are usually fast to list new releases but I'm sure other stores like HLJ and HobbySearch will have it available soon if you prefer them. Any of those three are fine, I've ordered from them and never had an issue. It's up to you to find out if the combined cost of the kit plus shipping is cheaper than getting it locally in March.

May 21, 2018
Baltimore MD
The website where I've seen it is AmiAmi since they are usually fast to list new releases but I'm sure other stores like HLJ and HobbySearch will have it available soon if you prefer them. Any of those three are fine, I've ordered from them and never had an issue. It's up to you to find out if the combined cost of the kit plus shipping is cheaper than getting it locally in March.

Thanks for the heads up. I will research and see where my money should go.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
Mine's already on the way here. I don't know where I'm gonna put it when it's built.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Initially saw that reported as RG, but it looks like that was maybe an assumption on the part of the account I saw it on.

Last edited:

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I've been beginning to build the ZZ ver. Ka and all I can think of is what a bad idea it must have been to make it transformable. I love the bulky ZZ but man it does not feel like it was a good idea to make it transformable.

Oct 27, 2017
I finally freaking did it. Finished the perfect grade Gundam I bought last year that inspired this thread... It turned out badly. It was a daban fake copy of a real one but many times a hole was too big and and the arms suck and I broke one off. Needed to glue it together. If I ever Do a perfect grade again, it'll be a legit one.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=750094504525&set=a.512045436765&type=3

Edit: still nice to have a perfect grade under my belt tho.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Wonder if they ever plan on plan on doing Crossbone Vanguard for UGUC line. I recall having some Crossbone Vanguard kits back in the day before HGUC became a thing.